First FM Team

Based on a post on another thread, who was the team you ever managed in FM and why? For me it was Dag & Red in CM 00/01 because they were the favourites to go up and had the most money in the conference (as it was called then). Danny Shipp and Junior McDougald formed a lethal partner ship upfront!

As I stated in that other thread, my first team was Shrewsbury, in the CM3 demo. I was eight years old and just getting into football, so I just picked a team at random, and that team happened to be the Shrews.

I was hopeless in this first attempt at playing CM/FM. I knew very little about tactics, other than that defenders should go in defence, midfielders in midfield, etc. I didn’t necessarily know that players had preferred sides at that time.

Anyway, under my management, Shrewsbury lost every single pre-season friendly (a 3-0 loss to Total Network Solutions still sticks out in my mind), went out of the League Cup at the first round, and suffered eight straight defeats in Division 3.

I gave up on the Shrews after that, but after brushing up on the game, I was rather more successful when CM99/00 came around. (By ‘successful’, I meant that - in the space of four seasons - I went from Man Utd to Barnsley via Scotland, Charlton, Birmingham, Shrewsbury again, Luton and Sheffield United. I was very impatient back then. :D)

Nearly two decades on, I’m planning to mark my 20th CM/FM anniversary by returning to where it all began, and giving Shrewsbury a proper go in FM19. The way they’re playing at the moment, I could well be taking over a Championship team!

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

As I stated in that other thread, my first team was Shrewsbury, in the CM3 demo. I was eight years old and just getting into football, so I just picked a team at random, and that team happened to be the Shrews.

I was hopeless in this first attempt at playing CM/FM. I knew very little about tactics, other than that defenders should go in defence, midfielders in midfield, etc. I didn’t necessarily know that players had preferred sides at that time.

Anyway, under my management, Shrewsbury lost every single pre-season friendly (a 3-0 loss to Total Network Solutions still sticks out in my mind), went out of the League Cup at the first round, and suffered eight straight defeats in Division 3.

I gave up on the Shrews after that, but after brushing up on the game, I was rather more successful when CM99/00 came around. (By ‘successful’, I meant that - in the space of four seasons - I went from Man Utd to Barnsley via Scotland, Charlton, Birmingham, Shrewsbury again, Luton and Sheffield United. I was very impatient back then. :D)

Nearly two decades on, I’m planning to mark my 20th CM/FM anniversary by returning to where it all began, and giving Shrewsbury a proper go in FM19. The way they’re playing at the moment, I could well be taking over a Championship team!

Same here. I was rubbish at the start. I'm slightly less rubbish now. I was also Hayes and Bath City in Premier Manager 2 and Ultimate Soccer Manager so if either of them ever pop up again, that will be a blast from the past. I remember a Bath City called Chernowyth who broke his neck in pre season and was out from 6 weeks. Back when players were hard!

Back on CM 00/01 first team was Newcastle, really can't remember much about who i brought or how my season went as i only got to play CM a couple of hours every other weekend when i went my Dads. Do remember my old man showing me the Swedish duo of Marcus Allback and Ibrahimovic who you could buy very cheap and would score loads. Think my favorite team on this one was Fiorentina with Rui Costa as the AMC and DiLivio in the midfield, I'm sure they had Nuno Gomes up front too. 

First FM i got when i could play all i wanted was i think CM 02/03 when it was on the original Xbox. Had sooo many hours on that game. 1st time playing it was with Coventry City and remember they used to have a young striker called Mark Goodman who i can only describe as a goal machine. 

1 minute ago, KF1990 said:

Back on CM 00/01 first team was Newcastle, really can't remember much about who i brought or how my season went as i only got to play CM a couple of hours every other weekend when i went my Dads. Do remember my old man showing me the Swedish duo of Marcus Allback and Ibrahimovic who you could buy very cheap and would score loads. Think my favorite team on this one was Fiorentina with Rui Costa as the AMC and DiLivio in the midfield, I'm sure they had Nuno Gomes up front too. 

I remember signing Johann Porhallson for 1 or 2k from some Icelandic team, He scored 50 goals in his first season. Now THAT'S a goal machine

Middlesbrough on FM14 (I think). I knew a little about them as they had a few Aussies and I liked to follow their results.

First team I tried that I didn't know anything about was RC Strasbourg Alsace. Went looking for a non-English "fallen giant". Now that they've finally made it back to Ligue 1 I can see some of their games on tv :)

Archived