FM17 Help me make Conte's Chelsea 3-4-3

As I understand it it's almost a 3-4-2-1, except the 2 play wide as inside forwards.

I'm looking for ideas for roles and duties with a standard balanced approach.

Defensive wingers (S or D?) or WM(D)? Centre mids pretty conservative like CM(D) and BBM(S) or BWM(S)? Two inside forwards on attack with F9?

Edited by permanentquandary

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it as:

3x CD

2x WB(S)

2x CM(S/D)

2x IF(A) or even WM(A)

1x DLF(A)

Basically a 5-4-1 in defense with the wide midfielders playing as an inside forward. Probably with a deeper defensive line and structured. I don't know if playing Hazard and Pedro as IF(A) in the AML/R position will get them to track back enough to get the 5-4-1 defensive block.

Before you start putting anything in to practice I would do some research into Conte's tactics first. Look at sites such as Speilverlagerung (although I'm not sure they have anything on Chelsea atm), EPLindex, outside of the boot and we ain't got no history.

This will help you understand Conte's tactical thoughts more and what adaptions he makes in games and for other types of games. 

Remember that you probably won't be able to replicate the tactic exactly so some things in the articles you may need to ignore for FM since there's certain pressing techniques which you can't implement in game. Good luck

I've been looking for stuff on conte's tactics and I've only really found stuff on a 3-3-4 from his time at juventus. I'll check those sites though. So far I have made this but yet to test.

3x CD

2x WB in WB Strata

WM (A) DLP (D) CM (S) WM (A)

DLF (A)

Im hoping if I find the right PI's for the WM's that I can get them to play like IF's in the attack phase but get them to help defensively as well. So defensive shape is a 5-4-1 and the attacking shape is 3-4-3

1 hour ago, JNOUnited said:

Im hoping if I find the right PI's for the WM's that I can get them to play like IF's in the attack phase but get them to help defensively as well. So defensive shape is a 5-4-1 and the attacking shape is 3-4-3

Remember you can select an WM's PIs to that similar of a IF if they play a support role. Cuts inside, dribble more, cross less etc. or just whatever suits your needs. 

1 hour ago, Chip said:

Remember you can select an WM's PIs to that similar of a IF if they play a support role. Cuts inside, dribble more, cross less etc. or just whatever suits your needs. 

Yeah, I've done it with Ozil's 3-4-3 formation making players like Martial act that way, so reckon it should be possible.

11 hours ago, JNOUnited said:

Best article I've found on Conte's system.  outside of the boot so cheers chip.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2016/10/27/tactical-analysis-chelsea-4-0-manchester-united-mourinhos-unhappy-return/

No problem @JNOUnited. There will be many more tactical analysis blogs available so keep an eye out each week after Chelsea play a game and you might find something which will help you. Research always helps when trying to recreate tactics. 

Also, have a read of the '(re)Creating a Tactic' thread on here as this will help you with analysing the tactic etc. It also covers a bit about researching the tactic you wish to create. 

I am working on a 3-1-4-2 type thing with Leicester and stumbled on this thread.

I checked out this thread from weaintgotnohistory:

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/10/24/13384530/chelsea-4-0-manchester-united-tactics

Judging by this particular match (I didn't watch the game), assuming this analysis from a Chelsea fan is spot on, they would line up something like this:

343 conte.jpg

Roles/duties very much up for debate.

In that post, in the positions map from 11tegen11, you can see that Moses are higher up the pitch than Alonso. Matic linked up with the defenders more often than Kanté, maybe indicating a DLP role? You'll also see Hazard and DC occupying the same space a lot of the time.

I would go with IF(s) or (s), with PI 'sit narrower'. Pedro was more of a winger or wide player in that game, too wide to be an AMC. 

The wide "midfielders", like Moses and Alonso, there I am not sure how you can get them high enough up the pitch in a WB spot. On the other hand, having them as wide midfielders will not replicate their fullback defensive movement. So there is a conundrum there.

10 hours ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

I am working on a 3-1-4-2 type thing with Leicester and stumbled on this thread.

I checked out this thread from weaintgotnohistory:

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2016/10/24/13384530/chelsea-4-0-manchester-united-tactics

Judging by this particular match (I didn't watch the game), assuming this analysis from a Chelsea fan is spot on, they would line up something like this:

343 conte.jpg

Roles/duties very much up for debate.

In that post, in the positions map from 11tegen11, you can see that Moses are higher up the pitch than Alonso. Matic linked up with the defenders more often than Kanté, maybe indicating a DLP role? You'll also see Hazard and DC occupying the same space a lot of the time.

I would go with IF(s) or (s), with PI 'sit narrower'. Pedro was more of a winger or wide player in that game, too wide to be an AMC. 

The wide "midfielders", like Moses and Alonso, there I am not sure how you can get them high enough up the pitch in a WB spot. On the other hand, having them as wide midfielders will not replicate their fullback defensive movement. So there is a conundrum there.

Matic gets forward a fair bit also

14 minutes ago, djsmiley said:

Hope you guys are enjoying Conte's Chelsea destroying Everton 5 - 0 up by now, maybe after watching this game we can come with the suitable roles.

Only watched the first half, but going to see if I can watch the whole game later. Pedro dropped back more than Hazard in the first half. Alonso and Moses definately dropped back to make a line of 5 in defense and the defense were given license to go forward and be covered by matic and kante.

Passing and time was so crisp. Definitely would love to build this.  

15 hours ago, loklokno123 said:

I think it is difficult to create Hazard's role

He is given max freedom, he appears everywhere.  

It is hard, but switching him from IF to AP on wing would be better maybe? Give that more movement, maybe not many goals but he is basically playmaker on the wing?

Just played against AI Conte and his side was tough. It was a 3-4-2-1 with DMs and AMRLs. Seemed a bit weird and disjointed at start but it gave me a real hard time. It is an interesting formation and it is hard for me to say it it fully replicates Conte's 3-4-3 shape since I haven't seen much of Chelsea this season but if you think it can be a baseline then I recommend it.

Edited by TheJanitor

Mentality wise I think Chelsea played counter attack coupled with high tempo, the only roaming I saw was from Hazard in particular as he did everything and a bit of roaming from Pedro otherwise the rest of the team sticked to their positions and as for Costa he likes running at the defence I would say Adv Forward but again Costa was not moving into channels but the role can do with tweaking as he just loves scoring goals...

The parts I've found tricky are:

- The WBs don't seem to get up and down enough. They also don't seem to roam around as much as Chelsea's do. Can't get them as involved in buildup as they leave the CMs isolated.

- Can't seem to get the Hazard/Pedro roles to operate in the right zones. AML/R keeps them too wide, and AMCL/R keeps them too narrow and they don't drop into defense the right way.

- Can't find good roles for CMs. Above problem of them being isolated.

I've tried a number of things and never seen such poor performances. Defense is just clueless. 

Gk-D

CD - CDC - CD

CWB- A and CWB - A

DLP - S and BWM D

IF - S and AP - A

ADF

Mentality = Attack 

Shape = Structured 

TI's= Fairly narrow, Look for overlap.

Not yet finished but I like the movement, surely getting somewhere.

Edited by djsmiley

I don't think it's counter. I mean, at times it surely is, but not in general. The first 65 minutes of the Everton game was definitely not counter. I'm using control/fluid right now, with these tis: higher tempo, slightly wider (though might take that off), more closing down, tighter marking, retain possession, look for overlap, and run at defense. I've directed the WBs to stay wider (though they still roam) and the IF-S to sit narrower. I've also made the DM a regista, not a DLP.

IMG_0050.PNG

IMG_0051.PNG

Edited by PeeDub

1 minute ago, PeeDub said:

I don't think it's counter. I mean, at times it surely is, but not in general. The first 65 minutes of the Everton game was definitely not counter. I'm using control/fluid right now, with these tis: higher tempo, slightly wider (though might take that off), more closing down, tighter marking, retain possession, look for overlap, and run at defense. I've directed the WBs to stay wider (though they still roam) and the IF-S to sit narrower. I've also made the DM a regista, not a DLP.

Whats your overall shape?

Like how does it look on paper?

I was thinking wider as well because it says in the analysis he likes the WB's as wide as possible but maybe just the PI of Stay Wider will do that

3-4-3 is the most difficult formation to master in FM, and like everyone I'm amazed with how Chelsea are playing

Someone posted a screenshot with 2 AMC and striker and seeing Chelsea's last 5 games you can clearly see that Hazard and Pedro both stay wide and cut inside so  AMC is not correct, and on the wings quiet frankly don't know if they are better WM or WB...... 

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 01:06, Amarante said:

Heres the shape your looking. The Roles mentality and stuff should differ as 

482730_20161104200417_1.png

I used this shape but with Defensive Wingers. Different roles aswell with a counter mentality. Won the League and both cups in the first season. Hazard scored 19 goals and got 21 assists, Costa 31 goals.

3 minutes ago, nexting said:

I used this shape but with Defensive Wingers. Different roles aswell with a counter mentality. Won the League and both cups in the first season. Hazard scored 19 goals and got 21 assists, Costa 31 goals.

Can you post a screenshot?

Mine is a little more offensive.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794739404

The only problem I have is Moses and the IF getting too close when without the ball. This because I don't want to put Moses as DW and neither use WBs. I'm getting a decent shape when attacking, though. In attack, I'm having IFs inside (of course), the striker in the middle and BBM plus DLP coming from deep. 3 at the back are defending the rest well. DW and WG are giving a good width.

This is what I am trialing at the moment, but of course this is being used in friendlies which aren't the best indication of whether a tactic is successful.

48a5103172342bb6c3fd5aa035a776bc.png

63849019b0b294133f2112bce67981b0.png

First game was pretty even against a Chinese side which I wasn't happy with. But I changed to control and saw much better results. Standard on Fluid saw the score at 51 minutes at 2-2. Then I went to control and won 4-2.

The trickiest part for me until now is to how to pair up the back 3.... in real life ... David Luiz is playing a BPD with Defend Role and Cahill and Azpilicueta are instructed to stay wide and given license to go forward a little bit. This is explained in this video 

Has any one figured out how to replicate this ? I tried with the following:

-----CD(S)-----BPD(C)----CD(S)------

And the average positions of the defenders are just flat.... but as per Conte's tactics it should be a slight arc:

------------------David Luiz--------------------
-----Azpi----------------------------Cahill-----

6 minutes ago, BlueIsTheColour said:

The trickiest part for me until now is to how to pair up the back 3.... in real life ... David Luiz is playing a BPD with Defend Role and Cahill and Azpilicueta are instructed to stay wide and given license to go forward a little bit. This is explained in this video 

Has any one figured out how to replicate this ? I tried with the following:

-----CD(S)-----BPD(C)----CD(S)------

And the average positions of the defenders are just flat.... but as per Conte's tactics it should be a slight arc:

------------------David Luiz--------------------
-----Azpi----------------------------Cahill-----

Honestly, it's almost as if all three are BPDs.

I've been managing Chelsea as well, just destroyed Burnley 6-0 with a 3 man backfield.   I'm not home right now, or I'd post pics.  

I have my formation set up like this:

DLF/A - Costa           

LIF/A - Hazard                                     RIF/S - Pedro

LDLP/D - Matic    RBBM/S - Kante 

LCWB/S - Alonso.                              RCWB/A - Moses                          

LCD/C - Cahill   BPD/D - Luiz   RCD/C - Azpi

GK/D - Courtois 

for TIs I have Control, Fluid, and Slightly Higher.   

Significant PIs, I have Cahill and Azpi on Close Much Less, Luiz on Dribble More and Close Less, Matic is on Riskier Passes, Moses on Short Pass, Hazard on Sits Narrower, Holds Up Ball, Shoots More, Roams From Position.   I'll look at the tactic when I get home to clarify.

I'll make changes based on personnel, Willian gets more of a winger role, crosses more often for example.

its very hard to get the tactic perfect, as with every tactic we try to emulate.   Things I may try to get right is getting Moses to sit wider, yet move in more often, getting Matic's movement better, and Kante to quit shooting so much.

Edited by Lobaeux4

I'm noticing that my three CDs aren't splitting at all.   Luiz is stepping forward, especially with the ball, but Cahill and Azpi are staying in a line.   I haven't found it to be a problem yet as my wing backs track back nicely.  

As a Chelsea supporter, I'm fascinated with Conte's system, and I've watched every match since we've switched to it at least twice. 

Hazard and Pedro roles in terms of FM are absolutely AMC. Players in that position still get wide and work the channels plenty. Putting them at AMR and AML is not representative at all.

45 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

As a Chelsea supporter, I'm fascinated with Conte's system, and I've watched every match since we've switched to it at least twice. 

Hazard and Pedro roles in terms of FM are absolutely AMC. Players in that position still get wide and work the channels plenty. Putting them at AMR and AML is not representative at all.

I agree. Definitely AMC.

Hey guys so i have tested lots of different suggestions on this forum and found the average positions for different team formations the link below is a big document that shows all the pictures.

TLDR: i think 5-2-2-1 with 2 cams is the best although 5-2-3 with attacking playmakers also looks good. also wingbacks should be CWB/A.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ML-LbkkxnSuowxZAhuxldqSqLhNy0k44PUUmjTGczu8/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants the tactics in a file format they can download let me know. Also if you think i should make a thread explaining more in depth for everyone to see i will.

also ignore the grammar and conversational style i typed it up very quickly.

Edited by NORTZ

2 hours ago, RocheBag said:

I have tried that, but I didn't like how it played at all. Couldn't get either to help out defensively on the wings, and the middle just got clogged. How have you set it up?

I had two AMCs set up originally and didn't like the way it played out.   I set both Hazard and Pedro to AML and AMR, gave them IF roles, set the PIs to sit narrower and cut inside with ball.   For Hazard I gave him roam from position.  

In defense, both Hazard and Pedro stay wider and track back just a bit, but in attack, they move further in.   I'm quite happy with their movement.   

1 hour ago, NORTZ said:

Hey guys so i have tested lots of different suggestions on this forum and found the average positions for different team formations the link below is a big document that shows all the pictures.

TLDR: i think 5-2-2-1 with 2 cams is the best although 5-2-3 with attacking playmakers also looks good. also wingbacks should be CWB/A.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ML-LbkkxnSuowxZAhuxldqSqLhNy0k44PUUmjTGczu8/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants the tactics in a file format they can download let me know. Also if you think i should make a thread explaining more in depth for everyone to see i will.

also ignore the grammar and conversational style i typed it up very quickly.

I'd definitely be interested in this, trying to replicate it myself... although with far inferior players down in league 1 with AFC Wimbledon (just been promoted so up to champs now) really want to build going forward with 3 at the back though

44 minutes ago, tremor said:

I'd definitely be interested in this, trying to replicate it myself... although with far inferior players down in league 1 with AFC Wimbledon (just been promoted so up to champs now) really want to build going forward with 3 at the back though

Well im playing this formation with a team in the conference so it doesn't matter if its a lower league side, although it is tough to find Wing backs at lower levels of play.

1 hour ago, PeeDub said:

I have tried that, but I didn't like how it played at all. Couldn't get either to help out defensively on the wings, and the middle just got clogged. How have you set it up?

They don't help out on the wings much though. They press very high up the pitch, but they don't track back all that much, Hazard especially.

1 hour ago, Lobaeux4 said:

I had two AMCs set up originally and didn't like the way it played out.   I set both Hazard and Pedro to AML and AMR, gave them IF roles, set the PIs to sit narrower and cut inside with ball.   For Hazard I gave him roam from position.  

In defense, both Hazard and Pedro stay wider and track back just a bit, but in attack, they move further in.   I'm quite happy with their movement.   

I still find that they stay slightly too wide when we have the ball and it seems to discourage the wingbacks from getting as far forward.