Football Manager Handheld 2015 Official Feedback Thread

Hi,

I come to this as a huge fan of the older CM games that Marc ran (I think), and as a fan in many ways of the FMH games that you’re now building. So any criticisms come from a place of love rather than anything else! I do have some feedback for the latest version though, which I’d like to share. I’m sure you have a huge development list though and I won’t be offended at all if you ignore it all. Just one guy’s thoughts :)

1. I don’t want to cover this too much as it’s been mentioned frequently on the forum, but the look is very basic and, for me, detracts from the enjoyment of the game. My iPad Air has a far higher pixel density than my desktop, yet the text is huge and in places pretty pixelated, and icons used are basic and of noticeably poor quality on my screen. On FM on desktop the interface, while more confusing to use (to me), is far more polished to look at. Text is smaller and crisp and graphics are smart, simple and less ‘cartoony’. FMH doesn’t _feel_ like the premium app it is.
  2. You don’t seem to use native iOS controls for things like momentum scrolling in lists which really stands out. It’s the only app I use where I have to keep scrolling to move down a list rather than swipe once and let it scroll for me.
  3. Sideways swipes to move between screens are driving me crazy! Often I’m scrolling through a list, but because my thumb doesn’t move in a straight up and down motion when holding the device (due to it being attached to the rest of my hand..) I very frequently scroll sideways to another screen by mistake - and I’m talking once every few couple of minutes when navigating the interface. Sometimes more. I’d love it if I could switch it off completely.
  4. Assuming point 3 is still on, the actual swipe again doesn’t feel right. I feel like I’m commanding the app to do something, it waits, then does it. In other apps with side swipe (such as between the 3 timelines in the ‘timelines’ tab of the official Twitter iPhone app), the view changes as I swipe, and so I can stop swiping if I see what’s happening, or continue if I wish. I feel like I’m actually controlling the interface, whereas in FMH I feel like I give it a command and it then responds, hopefully in a way I’d like.
  5. Adding players to penalty takers lists, captain lists etc, seems to be a different interaction than adding players to a starting 11. When adding a player to the team I drag their ‘box’ (don’t know what you call it - sorry!) on to the position I want them to take. Every single time I try to add someone to the penalty/freekick/corner/captain list I drag the player in the same way and end up swiping to another screen. Apparently in these pages I have to click rather than drag. I know it, yet every time instinctively I still get it wrong as I’m using the drag method far more frequently throughout the game.
  6. Links to players, clubs etc in news items seem to be accessed via a separate ‘links’ button rather than just clicking on the players name. I assume it’s a hangover of the PSP days where there was no touch screen? Either way, it’s weird and a bit annoying.
  7. I like that the tactics are pretty basic (and even more I love that training is!), however I’d like a few more tactical options for individual players rather than the team as a whole.
  8. The interface options I need the most are a bit all over the place. Continue is easy enough to reach with my right thumb, but the ‘hamburger’ menu is in the middle and is very hard to reach on the larger screen without taking a hand off the device. It’s always an effort. I almost never use the back button unless I’ve got the iPad on my lap (rather than holding it). I think I forget it’s up there. That may be more my problem than anything!

I *love* the new match engine, and on its own it justified this years purchase. It makes such a difference to the game as I feel like the match is played out in a way that reflects my tactics and that is fun to watch. A few minor things from it though:

• It plays incredibly fast, even on ‘slow’ setting for me.
  • If I look away for a moment and miss a goal I’d love a way to re-watch them or rewind slightly. If this exists then I can’t find it so make it clearer?
  • The match looks great, the only issue is that the ‘circles’ for the players are pretty messed up. They are incredibly rough around the outside - see this picture if it works https://www.dropbox.com/s/43r0qjelfkeuv65/IMG_0126.jpg?dl=0. The rest of the match engine looks great - stadium and pitch pictures seem to be nice high quality. It’s not a major point but it’s very noticeable and would be lovely if it could be fixed.

That’s it for now. None of them are major, but they are all things that detract from my enjoyment so thought I’d point them out. I really hope you take them in the positive way that they were intended!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else find the game to be much slower this year?

I'm NOT talking about the match engine (because that's well known, and understandable with the increased processing) - I'm talking about the general interface outside matches. I'm sure button presses were FAR more responsive last year. I often have to tap through two or three screens to get to where I want to be, and I know where the buttons are I want to press, but they don't appear immediately. Navigation in general has become a bit of a chore, which it never used to be,

Now that the match engine has been completely re-done (and is much better), and, I imagine, will now be compatible with a 3D match engine when Marc and co. feel the handheld martket is ready for it, perhaps for FMH16 they can start working on completely re-designing and re-building everything outside the match engine. As itsrpss said above, it seems as though there are still some hangovers from the PSP days. It should be far easier to link between EVERYTHING.

For example, on the Home screen, I should be able to scroll up and down the fixtures, and the league table. But I can't, I have to go to the fixtures screen or the league table screen to scroll them.

In an email, I should be able to tap on ANY name or club that appears there, not tap on News Links first and then tap again from there.

On the shortlist page, I should be able to tap and hold on a players name to "mark" him, and then quickly tap 4 or 5 other players and then de-list them all together rather than tap > action > delist > back and then repeat 4 or 5 times.

These are just some ideas. As others have said, it's a great game, and all critisism comes from a place of love, but there are many ways it could be improved. The match engine has become slower, as I said before, with good reason, but it's not really acceptable that the game has also become slower outside the match engine and processing times as well. The Android/iOS toolbox should be used to the max in order to ease navigation.

I haven't noticed a problem with the speed of the interface - all button clicks seem to register first time and pages change fast (except those bloody side swipes, which are slow and cumbersome and I will hate forever!). Slow interfaces usually drive me crazy so I don't know how much that would be a device specific problem? FWIW so far I have only played on an iPad Air (last years one, not the iPad Air 2).

I agree with everything else above, especially being able to scroll lists such as the league table and fixtures on the home page.

I played a lot over the weekend and noticed a couple more minor things:

• I don't know if it's just me, but I find it odd that left backs play in the number 2 shirt and right backs play in the number 3. Back in my day it was the other way around!
  • In a pre-game scout report on my next opposition it was suggested that a player should be man-marked. I don't know how to do this. Can it even be done? I haven't seen instructions for any player specific commands except setting player tactical roles

I haven't noticed a problem with the speed of the interface - all button clicks seem to register first time and pages change fast (except those bloody side swipes, which are slow and cumbersome and I will hate forever!). Slow interfaces usually drive me crazy so I don't know how much that would be a device specific problem? FWIW so far I have only played on an iPad Air (last years one, not the iPad Air 2).

I have a good device, a Sony Xperia Z. It was pretty much the best Android tablet on the market when I bought it 12 months ago. It is at least the equal of the iPad Air. Responsiveness is particularly bad during matches. You can click on something (a goal scorers name, the Opposition button, the Tactics button, etc) and the button will briefly change colour (to show that the tap has been registered) but the game does not respond. It is sometimes necessary to pause the game before you try to navigate to a different screen. However, the pause button itself is also slow to respond, and sometimes needs three taps before it works. Once the match is paused, the buttons respond fine (if a little slow, as outside matches). Outside matches, when I say navigation is slow, I'm only talking about a split second to change screens each time, but it is noticable.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find it odd that left backs play in the number 2 shirt and right backs play in the number 3. Back in my day it was the other way around!

The shirt numbers correspond to the order of players on your squad list. The default way players are listed is GK, LB, RB, CB etc. This means GK is 1, LB is 2, RB is 3, etc. If you play a standard 4-4-2, your strikers will be 10 and 11 instead of 9 and 10, your wingers will be 6 and 7 instead of 7 and 11, CMs will be 8 and 9 instead of 4 and 8, etc.

In a pre-game scout report on my next opposition it was suggested that a player should be man-marked. I don't know how to do this. Can it even be done? I haven't seen instructions for any player specific commands except setting player tactical roles

No, it cannot be done. It was possible on the PSP version a few years ago, but has been taken out for an unknown reason. I would imagine that the new match engine would have absolutely no problem handling far more in depth tactical instructions, but they are not available yet. I live in hope that they will be implemented next year, but I'm certain they won't be included in an update within the next 12 months.

I have a good device, a Sony Xperia Z. It was pretty much the best Android tablet on the market when I bought it 12 months ago. It is at least the equal of the iPad Air. Responsiveness is particularly bad during matches. You can click on something (a goal scorers name, the Opposition button, the Tactics button, etc) and the button will briefly change colour (to show that the tap has been registered) but the game does not respond. It is sometimes necessary to pause the game before you try to navigate to a different screen. However, the pause button itself is also slow to respond, and sometimes needs three taps before it works. Once the match is paused, the buttons respond fine (if a little slow, as outside matches). Outside matches, when I say navigation is slow, I'm only talking about a split second to change screens each time, but it is noticable.

Wasn't suggesting that you don't see the problem, was just saying I don't on my device which was why I mentioned what it was. Even in match view response times remain fine and all clicks respond first time. The only thing I see is that when the match clock is running super fast (no highlight and no text commentary) then clicking a goal scorers name doesn't seem to work at all. At any other time button or name clicks respond fast and first time.

The shirt numbers correspond to the order of players on your squad list. The default way players are listed is GK, LB, RB, CB etc. This means GK is 1, LB is 2, RB is 3, etc. If you play a standard 4-4-2, your strikers will be 10 and 11 instead of 9 and 10, your wingers will be 6 and 7 instead of 7 and 11, CMs will be 8 and 9 instead of 4 and 8, etc.

Ah I see. Well I don't like it, but it's not something I'm going to worry about too much!

No, it cannot be done. It was possible on the PSP version a few years ago, but has been taken out for an unknown reason. I would imagine that the new match engine would have absolutely no problem handling far more in depth tactical instructions, but they are not available yet. I live in hope that they will be implemented next year, but I'm certain they won't be included in an update within the next 12 months.

That's what I thought (although didn't remember the option being there on PSP). The message should probably be removed until the feature comes back then! I'll put in in a bug list if I can find one.

Wasn't suggesting that you don't see the problem, was just saying I don't on my device which was why I mentioned what it was. Even in match view response times remain fine and all clicks respond first time. The only thing I see is that when the match clock is running super fast (no highlight and no text commentary) then clicking a goal scorers name doesn't seem to work at all. At any other time button or name clicks respond fast and first time.

I'll consider filming a video with my phone, uploading it to YouTube and posting a link here.

Ah I see. Well I don't like it, but it's not something I'm going to worry about too much!

I think each player should have his own shirt number, regardless of whether he starts the game or on the bench. I think a player number should be offered to a player along with a contract. If the season starts and a first team shirt is available, a player can ask for it (appears as a news item). It needn't be difficult or cumbersome to include a shirt number feature.

That's what I thought (although didn't remember the option being there on PSP). The message should probably be removed until the feature comes back then! I'll put in in a bug list if I can find one.

I definitely remember it on PSP, although I don't remember which year. It was definitely possible to get a certain player to mark a certain player.

I'll consider filming a video with my phone, uploading it to YouTube and posting a link here.

That would be very interesting :thup:

I think each player should have his own shirt number, regardless of whether he starts the game or on the bench. I think a player number should be offered to a player along with a contract. If the season starts and a first team shirt is available, a player can ask for it (appears as a news item). It needn't be difficult or cumbersome to include a shirt number feature.

I assumed that squad numbers not being included was part of the attempt to keep the game as lightweight as possible. Less stuff that you have to do. I'd quite like to see it included but it's not something I'm passionate about.

[*]In a pre-game scout report on my next opposition it was suggested that a player should be man-marked. I don't know how to do this. Can it even be done? I haven't seen instructions for any player specific commands except setting player tactical roles

This scout report has been in every version of FMH yet we've never had the tactical option to man-mark an opposing player. It is a little frustrating. The developers should either take the news item out or enhance the tactical options so that man-marking is an option.

• SI Staff

The responsiveness and speed of the interface should be *much* better on Android devices this year, significant optimisations have been made in this area. There is however a known issue on some devices with responsiveness of player links on the match overview page.

I've only been playing for 1 day, but so far my opinion is that this is an excellent game. I'm on the iPhone 6 Plus, and the game is lightning fast, looks great, and has a ton oif great features that I had grown accustomed to in FM. I recently stopped playing FM because it took too much time and I was sick of waiting for loading on my PC, but this is the perfect substitute. Great game!!!

@itsrpss I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on interface changes. Hopefully now a lot of development has gone into the ME, SI can concentrate on improving the interface for next year. The general gameplay is of a top tier game but it looks and navigates like a game from the mid 2000's, requiring way too many clicks to navigate to vital information.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, this is right. The display of the scores has nothing to do with processing the other matches, it's for processing the match you are currently playing. If you want to use the enhanced match engine it's not possible to remove this brief delay and can't ever be.

So, you're saying, that an option to turn off the actual text during those moments is not possible? Could the text be changed? Why do the scores need to be visually displayed in order for the match engine to process me substituting players during my match? I can't understand why it has to be displayed on screen in order for it to do the processing. Could it be coded differently to just say "Processing"?

Personally, I don't really mind it. But it just seems like a random thing that has to be there in order for everything else around it to work.

So, you're saying, that an option to turn off the actual text during those moments is not possible?

It is not possible right now, it is a feature they could code in, but why?

Could the text be changed?

Yes, but any change would need to be coded, what would you prefer it say?

Why do the scores need to be visually displayed in order for the match engine to process me substituting players during my match?

They don't, it's just something to look at.

I can't understand why it has to be displayed on screen in order for it to do the processing.

It doesn't.

Could it be coded differently to just say "Processing"?

Yes. But how would that be better?

Personally, I don't really mind it. But it just seems like a random thing that has to be there in order for everything else around it to work.

The processing has to be there, the scores do not. I don't understand why the processing has to be there (I asked in a different thread, not yet answered), but what's wrong with the scores? What would you want instead?

We added the latest scores to the processing dialog as something interesting to see while your match is processing.

This data is already available to support the Live Table and Latest Scores screens, so displaying them on this dialog causes no additional processing delay.

So the processing wait at HT and after tactics changes are only required to process your match.

Hi Marc et al,

I'm a bit of an fmh veteran having owned every edition since it launched on android (and the psp versions prior to that!). Unfortunately my samsung tab isn't up to running the new match engine, although I tend to run commentary only so no big loss for me! I like the skin tweaks and scrapbook, nice touches. What I would love to se in the next edition is the ability to create custom views in the squad screen, ie be able to select which stats/fields you want to see and save it as your default view. One thing that has always bugged me (sorry I'm a bit ocd) is that in the squad screen it always lists the right sided players first, but the position selection/tactics always has the left positions first... why is this? Maybe you could allow us to change the order of the player list (or assign squad numbers)?

These are of course minor quibbles, overall I'm still loving the game, keep up the good work!

The processing needs to be done here so that it's known when the highlights will be

Okay, that's interesting. So what exactly is being processed?

The only thing I can think of is that the processing simulates the whole of the rest of the match with those tactics, and then the clock ticks forward, showing you "what happened, as it happened", and so the remainder of the match has been "pre-destined", but you still have the ability to stop it, make changes, re-process the match, and change the outcome. Am I close?

As an analogy, it's sort of like shuffling a deck of cards, and then turning them over one at a time. The order is random and yet pre-determined, but at any time you can pick up the deck and re-shuffle it, but that offers no advantage or disadvantage because it's still a random and unknown order.

Is that what's happening?

It is not possible right now, it is a feature they could code in, but why?

Yes, but any change would need to be coded, what would you prefer it say?

They don't, it's just something to look at.

It doesn't.

Yes. But how would that be better?

The processing has to be there, the scores do not. I don't understand why the processing has to be there (I asked in a different thread, not yet answered), but what's wrong with the scores? What would you want instead?

I was simply agreeing with others that it would be nice to have the option to NOT see scores while it processed. Like previous years' versions, it could just simply say "Processing." I don't mind the scores as much, but others say they do and someone responded saying that the scores can't be gotten rid of. And I just thought that was ridiculous because and option to turn them on/off could be added if it was coded into the app. Sure, I understand the app has to process things, but I was responding to a previous post and wanted to point out that it could technically say anything while the app processes. The word "Processing" makes total sense. But the scores don't need to be there.

Also, does anyone know if certain players will never accept a contract, no matter what?

• SI Staff

If you use Commentary Only I would recommend switching to the Original Match Engine by going to Preferences -> Starting Configuration from the Home screen. That will return the game to the speed of last year's. Note you'll need to start a new game for the chance to take effect though.

The new Enhanced ME in this year's game is slower to process because it is far more complex than the Original ME from previous years. If you turn highlights on for the Enhanced engine you should notice the increased realism and complexity.

I have the new match engine and I use settings Slow and Extended.

The game is so much better for it. Winning a game gives you more of a satisfied feeling.

How long does it take you to get through a season? If I did that on my android I'd be lucky to get through a single career by the time FMH 2016 comes out.

The free agents need tweaking.

Could most likely make a champions league competing side with the quality of someone of the unsigned free agent players, that have been for a long time; Modric, Benzema, schweinsteiger are just ones who spring to mind. Some been there for a year or so there is just no way these kind of players wouldn't be immediately snapped up, they aren't ancient either, Modric was about 32 when he was out of contract at first.

Hi,

I'm a veteran of Handheld on the iPad/Iphone and I've noticed a number of technical issues so far. In no particular order:

1) On several occasions I've hauled off a player with a low score (3 or 4), have gone to give him some negative feedback after the game and the rating hasn't been registered. e.g. Pulled off David Alaba in the middle of the game as he had a score of 4. Go to give him the feedback a couple of days later and he got a 9 for the game. It was the first game of the season and his average shows up as a 9 also.

2) The in-game substitution indicators are not working properly. There shouldn't be more than 3 per team but sometimes the opposition have 5 or 6. I don't believe they are making more than 3 subs but whenever a player changes position, it shows a substitution indicator.

3) In previous games in the player search or shortlists, I could order by whichever column I chose, but now I do not have this option. eg. In Scout Report view, I try and click the potential column to order from 5 stars down, but it will not select it. Everything is ordered by value. Nor can I change order by name, position, etc.

4) I do not believe the player part-exchange transfer system is working as it has in previous games. Basically when I try and bundle say a $12million player in lieu of $12 million cash, it doesn't seem to recognize this value, suggesting all i've bid is whatever cash accompanies the part-exchange. Haven't been able to make a single part exchange deal so far.

5) In trying to part-exchange players, I found that I had 3 players who had agreed to join other clubs despite me not having concluded deals. They remained in the status through the entire season (including January transfer window) meaning that I was unable to sell them. Then once I started the new season, these agreements suddenly disappeared and I was once again able to sell (or attempt to trade) these players.

That's all I can think of now, more as I remember or come across them. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,

James

• SI Staff

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to report these issues. :thup:

1) This sounds a rather extreme example, has their rating bounced back as soon as the match is finished, or only when you leave the match and return?

2) I think with this one you're right that it's not actually making 5/6 subs and is just an issue with the icon displaying incorrectly. I believe this may have been fixed internally.

3) In the 'Preferences' go to 'User Interface' and toggle 'Can Sort Searches' to 'On'. This was an issue on newer devices that weren't correctly defaulting this on.

4) I don't think anything radical changed (Marc would know more than me) from previous years, so perhaps it's just the clubs aren't interested in selling the player or wanting the player that you're offering.

5) Believe this a known issue that is currently being investigated by the devs and QA.

Hi,

One little question. From another topic someone from SI said that a updtate is soon to be released. These uptades are savegame compatible, like in FM, or i need to start a new save after the update?

Another question, i'm playing the game on a ipad, and i installed some graphics ad-ons (facepacks, logopacks, etc). After the game is updated will i loose all these graphics?

Sorry for the noob questions, but FMH2015 is the first handheld version that i bought.

• SI Staff
One little question. From another topic someone from SI said that a updtate is soon to be released. These uptades are savegame compatible, like in FM, or i need to start a new save after the update?

All our updates are save game compatible.

Another question, i'm playing the game on a ipad, and i installed some graphics ad-ons (facepacks, logopacks, etc). After the game is updated will i loose all these graphics?

No you'll find those are retained.

Sorry for the noob questions, but FMH2015 is the first handheld version that i bought.

Quite all right - hope you're enjoying the game :D

• SI Staff
after uploading fma on a lollipop5.0 match engine began to stutter terribly. you can not play it. I'm a fan of the game and here such a failure.

We'll look into any performance issues people have with the game - however please do bear in mind its impossible to predict how the game will perform on OS variants which weren't released when it was created (so there might be some lag while we investigate any reports, please be patient).

I did the "avoid relegation" challenge with Newcastle and eventually finished 17th. I chose to continue the game instead of ending the challenge, only for the board to immediately sack me. A bit harsh? They went from delighted to furious over night, suddenly they didn't care for my achievement of keeping them up but only looking at the final league position.

I did the "avoid relegation" challenge with Sunderland and eventually finished 17th. I chose to continue the game instead of ending the challenge, only for the board to immediately sack me halfway through the following season.

Now whenever I apply for a new job no matter what league or team I get rejected. I've applied for 20 jobs and have been rejected every time. Even by AFC Wimbledon. How do I fix it? I should be getting lower league jobs considering I've just managed Sunderland.

My feedback is:

1) I love how FMH harks back to the original early 90s championship manager

2) won the play offs with forest on a slashed and favorable wage bill, got given £4m to spend the following season in the prem! Seems unrealisticly low.

3) stayed in the prem for three seasons, qualified for Europe in the 3rd. So far board have never approved the one request I make every season, to improve facilities. Seems ill reward for such relative glory.

4) natural position wing backs are so rare, can barely find any after hours and hours and hours of searching

5) can't search by the defensive or attacking midfield positions. Seems arbitrary and erroneous.

6) all scouted players get short listed, with no option to turn that off. Even though you can save and recall shortlists, having all scouted players added means your shortlist gets bollocksed every time you breath, which is bollocks.

7) looking at other leagues is cryptic, and there is a lack of league info such as assists etc

8) viewing pending transfers / contract negotiations is cryptic

9) would like to see more data retained eg the player records of the clubs and players you've managed

Over and out,

Leg

• SI Staff
6) all scouted players get short listed, with no option to turn that off. Even though you can save and recall shortlists, having all scouted players added means your shortlist gets bollocksed every time you breath, which is bollocks.

I presume you prefer this not to happen and to have to add them manually then? (its meant as a convenience thing but I can see why it might annoy you).

Is there a reason why there's no option to "skip the first transfer window" like in the PC version? Kinda sucks that the whole game world goes out of balance during the first season.

Also, finances need to be looked at very seriously, some teams' budget are ridiculous (take Bayern for example). If this is so it's harder to just grab regens, then just make them all spawn at age 15-16 and be nontransferable until they hit 18. It's not like they're hard to find anyway. Just a thought.

My board are disappointed with one of my signings. He's a 25 year old DMC, bought to Gateshead for £4,000. I only had one DMC, so I brought this guy in as a replacement and made the other guy backup/rotation. He has played 9 games, got 2 assists and averages on 7.22. He's not a world beater, but then Gateshead aren't exactly Real Madrid either..

I'm happy with him. Why aren't my board? Is it CA/PA related or something?

• SI Staff
My board are disappointed with one of my signings. He's a 25 year old DMC, bought to Gateshead for £4,000. I only had one DMC, so I brought this guy in as a replacement and made the other guy backup/rotation. He has played 9 games, got 2 assists and averages on 7.22. He's not a world beater, but then Gateshead aren't exactly Real Madrid either..

I'm happy with him. Why aren't my board? Is it CA/PA related or something?

The board can be wrong, it seems they just don't like him as a signing. If he carries on playing decently they will probably change their minds.

I presume you prefer this not to happen and to have to add them manually then? (its meant as a convenience thing but I can see why it might annoy you).

Yes, it's cumbersome at the moment. Maybe there could be a interesting new way to have it organized, but currently the shortlist gets bloated and you lose track of who you are actually interested in. Am I scouting more players than expected??

• SI Staff
Will IPAD 2 run the new game processor?

What's the speed like?

We'd recommend running the original match engine on iPad 2 (this is set by default), you can run the enhanced match engine if you choose to but performance might not be optimal.

Archived