FMC Tactics

what i tend to do is use the default ones and use control also checking out your opposition report and find out what tactic they seem to leek a lot of goals in and use that one it seems to work with my Motherwell game went 19 games unbeaten hope this helps a bit :)

I cannot get a single tactic to work. I have been sacked in each of the 4 games I've started. Desperately need help.

I am not sure how much my post will help but these are my experiences.

Firstly, I am using the same tactical creation strategy that I used for FM12. Using my saves for Dorchester in FM 12 and FMC13 for comparison the outcome / points per game is similar, although I am scoring slightly fewer goals in FMC13. The actual tacics and formations used are not identical because these must be tailored to the players available in each club save game.

My tactical creation strategy is as follows (as bullet points for step by step clarity)

1/ Select a backline strategy you are most comfortable with (flat back 4, 3 at the back etc)

2/ Create a formation to suit your best players. Sounds obvious but in reality this means ordering the squad by star rating. Select any 5 star players in their prefererred roles, then 4 1/2 stars, then 4 stars. Of course the defence will populate itself by this method but at some point you will have to decide that eg 4 strikers wont work, or playing an AMR when you have an attacking MR is not balanced. Using this method Balance is everything. So there will be some juggling and a 3 star player may be more suitable than a 3 1/2 star player in such a circumstance. Remember, a strong bench is not a bad thing!

3/ Set roles to preferences but again apply commonsense - 3 x DLP Midfielders may well not work too well.

4/ Set duties much as setting roles (by preference then adjust by common sense (maybe 3 Defensive, 4 Support, 3 Attacking, or 4 by 3 by 3, or however you want to establish your risk factor))

That is an overview, there is a twist though......

The Twist:

This method does not work for all clubs! It assumes that the squad suits this method - and not all do, so my advice is dont select a Club to manage and look no further, try setting up a dummy save game, or 2, and try a few similar level clubs that you fancy and see how it goes for a few matches. "Your" club will then select itself. This may not be the way the "purists" play the game, but if it gets one disconsolate manager back on track then that is good enough for me!

If you feel this is not clear but is of further interest then please post your club preference (preferably with a screenie of the squad sorted by star rating) and I will try to explain better using your working set up.

Thanks Tiger. I've done this with a 442 at Monaco. also tried a 4-2-3-1

FC Porto with a 4-2-3-1

Zenit I'm on now. 4-2-3-1 was working before xmas break. was 2nd - now I havent won a match in 6, so tried simple 442. Not really helping.

At all of these clibs I didnt have a bad player in any position - yet I have basically been sacked or on the verge of getting the sack.

Thanks Tiger. I've done this with a 442 at Monaco. also tried a 4-2-3-1

FC Porto with a 4-2-3-1

Zenit I'm on now. 4-2-3-1 was working before xmas break. was 2nd - now I havent won a match in 6, so tried simple 442. Not really helping.

At all of these clibs I didnt have a bad player in any position - yet I have basically been sacked or on the verge of getting the sack.

Generally my method results in an assymetrical tactic not a symetrical one, which may be why I have had moderate success (accidentally discovered an exploit?) - I too though have found that around Christmas it gets much tougher. I also suspect that 3 similar but significantly different tactics are required in FM©13. Switching may be part of the solution ultimately.

If you get totally frustrated I suggest trying a practice Man City save and also a Blue Square South or North practice save. Try similar things in both and compare results. It may give some insight to the way forward. Its funny but every FM since FM10 I have also resorted to a basic 442 out of frustration, never with a great outcome. May happen in FM13 yet......

• Administrators

I've been doing fine, used three tactics in my 5 and a half seasons so far. I use a 4-4-2 with some player role and duty differences (no messing with sliders) depending on my starting 11. It's taken me a long time to be successful for it but I try to be consistent where I can and it gets results for me. For those that are having trouble - are you changing tactics a lot, or using sliders?

Obviously it depends on who you are but in my Spurs game I use 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 (With the 3 being AML-AMC-AMR instead of AMC-AMC-AMC). Finished 5th & 2nd in my 2 seasons, just started the 3rd season. With FMC i've found it's better to be simple. Bad runs/results have usually been a case of me being too intricate or trying non standard tactics of my own. I do far better using the default formations.

We all have games we should win that we don't though, that's football. I drew 2-2 with Huddersfield and they had 2 shots total, 1 shot on target and an own goal :(.

I've been doing fine, used three tactics in my 5 and a half seasons so far. I use a 4-4-2 with some player role and duty differences (no messing with sliders) depending on my starting 11. It's taken me a long time to be successful for it but I try to be consistent where I can and it gets results for me. For those that are having trouble - are you changing tactics a lot, or using sliders?

You mean using the existing 4-4-2 template or creating one through the TC yourself?

Am not posting to brag, just adding somer perspective.

Dorchester Town - 1st season.

Expected mid table finish.

Finished 1st on goal difference.

Broke the bank brining in the best players available but played a lot of preseason friendlies to cover the £100k wage overspend so never in the red.

Tactics:

Mainly, GK DR DC DC DL MC MC MC AMR SC SC

latterly GK DR DC DC DL DMC MC MC MC AMR SC

As you can see the formations were unconventional and the actual "tactics" were switched pre match / in match to suit the situation (you cannot explain those, you need to work it out on the fly).

To me FMC13 is not too much different to FM12, maybe a shade harder but winnable. I suspect you must pick the right club/team and some will be an overly tough challenge which is a shame but like real life, Aston Villa being an example of the resources/expections imbalance that makes a club too tough a challenge.

I am no tactical guru just an experienced FM'er who can be flexible about who I manage - and that makes the FM experience a whole lot less painful.

Halfway through my second season and suddenly it feels like FMC has taken a turn towards the bad old days. I go Stockport promoted in my first season, strengthened the team as well as I could and up til Chrismas, was holding my own and looking set to consolidate mid-table. Overnight, my team has just gone to pieces. We still play pretty well, but my players literally always hit the post when they get through on goal. Meanwhile, at the other end, whatever lowly opposition I'm up against are either lashing them in from 30 yards, getting penalties every game, or benefitting from unbelievable goalkeeping errors. It feels like the game has decided I need to lose now and just edits the match engine to suit.

I've tried the same run of ten or so games a few times now, both with my usual 4-1-2-2-1 and with a more conservative 4-4-2 and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I really don't like playing asymmetrical or unrealistic tactics, but I'm not sure what else to try. I've got no problem with going on a bad run, but the silly way the games are thrown makes me feel like nothing I do is going to make any difference.

• Administrators
You mean using the existing 4-4-2 template or creating one through the TC yourself?
Well, this, or even by changing "Advanced" Team and Player settings/sliders.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to use all 3 of the tactics that my team are being prepared in training for (plus other variants when necessary). My main tactics are 442, 41221 and 4231 but depending on how the match I'm playing is unfolding I often switch to 433 or 451 and very occasionally 541. Most of my success came with 4231 but that was on the older patch where wingers were much more powered. Now I'm getting the most success with 41221.

I have to say though that watching the match highlights on the default setting doesn't really help the user when it comes to tactics. You can't see in general terms where the opposition is developing its chances from before they inevitably score. The more of the match you watch the easy it is to win although it does mean matches will take you longer.

....I really don't like playing asymmetrical or unrealistic tactics, but I'm not sure what else to try...

You can try to set up different wing plays through Player Instructions which will make your formation still be symmetrical, but as in positioning and overlap more asymmetrical and create a different flow.

E.G.

LB > Wing Back - Attack

AML/ML > Inside Forward - Attack/Support

RB > WB/FB - Support

AMR/MR > Winger - Attack/Support

Just an example. You should give it a try.

• 10 months later...

same here, i've been having all sorts of issues. I ran several tests on the same opposition team using different formations. I was not able to find a consistent formation that would last 3 games in a row. What i did was reload the same game over 10 times using different formations. And nope it made me think i must be doing something wrong in the new version. It feels like whatever tactic i use wont bring back the messenger alive.

Things i noticed with the opposition which is probably not much of a change compared to previous versions is: when leading early in the game around 3 -0 within only 25 minutes of game play be very careful because i'm sure the opposition will bounce back fast in the second half. The opposition always changes formation especially if they are loosing 3-0 in the first half. What I have learnt is that when they do change i quickly change to a defensive formation to bust up their game. It's difficult most of the times because FM has always amused me with the late comebacks. And no matter what formation I use defensively there is the element of surprise called "lady luck".

In FM 14 I have noticed it's a bit difficult for me to change tactics to waste time and slow the game down big time like i use to in FM13 where I had more control of the game in the last 10 minutes. FM 14 for me has taken that ability away from me because of the sliders gone or i'm lacking in learning the new areas.

Interesting that this thread spans 2 different versions of the game but the gripe is the same. Should also be noted that this is not a heavily subscribed thread so may not be wholey representative, however CTFM and the OP have both made points that are a really big issue for some. In generally responding to these posts I should like to make the following points, I too have been frustrated by sometimes having runs, sometimes entire save games where it feels all my tactics are useless. Of course the tactical combinations available are close to limitless so you can never really have tried "everything" also in earlier FM's changing tactics frequently had a negative effect I believe that in FM14 FMC that effect is blunted, certainly it has been said that having a set of 3 basic tactics for the purpose of familiarity is no longer critical (citation needed!).

My "way" after experimenting with hands on/hands off approaches is as follows (please note that I have not completely gametested the option of giving every player his own preset Player Instructions though I have tried giving some for weak/critical players or positions.

*Set up a tactic that looks plausible (no silly weaknesses exposed/attempted exploits - assymetric is OK as long as it looks like a real life formation) that utilises the best 11 players you have in their best or at worst 2nd best positions

*Using this alone with defaults throughout and play the games making tweaks as you see fit but try leaving any major changes 10-15mins matchtime to give it a chance to work.

*If the results are not satisfactory take that tactic you started with and play matches as instant result with no match plan. The thought is that the Ass Man will then optimise within reason during the match to produce the best outcome.

*Good or bad the results & match stats will point out where improvements can be made. At this point Team Instructions can be tweaked (refer to Oppo Scout reports but unless there is an obvious weakness to exploit and a clear method of doing this do not get too adventurous to start with!). Also optimise the players using the new Player Instruction tools but I would advise that you make slight changes match to match rather than change everything all in one go.

*As results improve (and I would be amazed if they didn't) you can take control for matches again.

*Note that over a season or so other Teams will "work you out" at this point more major changes may be forced upon you (eg needing a new formation), but this becomes easier and dare I say "fun" if you are achieving to expectation.

This method should help a great deal, I am not suggesting this is how you always play the game but short term, even in a game separate from your career game it should teach you a great deal. Below is a précis of how this helped me in FM13:

Sheff Utd, L1 - expected to get promoted.

After 5-6 matches I was meeting expectations playing as a hands on manager.

Around 7-8 games in I was getting onto a run where results were poor and my changes not helping.

Approx 12-15 games in something had to change so using 2 or 3 tactics that were basic but equally suited to my players I rotated these as Instant Result/no match plan

After a few games a single tactic emerged as "best" so applied it for the rest of the season.

Results better Team up into top 2.

With just 4-5 games left and no injury crisis to blame results started to decline badly.

The last 3 matches were a combination of just doing enough to make the play offs and rotating my 3 tactics again discovering that one of my 2nd best formations was now doing the business.

The play offs - I had to be bold, no time left for experimentation and all match stats (if not results) were telling me I was doing well in the last few matches of the season proper so using my new favoured tactic I lost the PO semi 1st leg 2-0! Had to persevere, 2nd leg won 5-0 and it could have been more. Final, won 1-0 without even looking in any danger.

Of course the opposition are trying to counter your "masterplan" making various changes but for me this is not about single battles (matches) but all about the "war" (getting the points per game average required to meet expectations)

Hope this helps.

It's been suggested that it will be necessary to WATCH all your games live.

I just don't have time.

A bit exaggerated, comprehensive mode should be enough, surely 2D better than 3D to spot tactical issues like lack of space, too much space between your lines etc..

what i tend to do is use the default ones and use control also checking out your opposition report and find out what tactic they seem to leek a lot of goals in and use that one it seems to work with my Motherwell game went 19 games unbeaten hope this helps a bit :)

This is the reason I've given up hope on FMC and gone back to the old FMs.

I'll get slated for this but the reason I want to play FMC is so I don't have to deal with any of that. I literally want to set my tactics up and play. I don't want to have to spend an hour before every game analysing the other team. That's what the full FM is for.

I haven't bought FM this year and I won't be buying it again until FMC is sorted out. Great concept. Poor execution.

In the old FMs you set your tactics up, buy a few players and sit back and play. Tweak your tactics when necessary. That's what made it so enjoyable. But if you're required to scout every team, change your tactics, change your training, then edit your tactics during the game in order to actually win matches then what's the point? I don't have time for that, but if I did I'd probably have time for the full FM too. FMC has really let me down.

I'll get slated for this but the reason I want to play FMC is so I don't have to deal with any of that. I literally want to set my tactics up and play. I don't want to have to spend an hour before every game analysing the other team. That's what the full FM is for.

I haven't bought FM this year and I won't be buying it again until FMC is sorted out. Great concept. Poor execution.

In the old FMs you set your tactics up, buy a few players and sit back and play. Tweak your tactics when necessary. That's what made it so enjoyable. But if you're required to scout every team, change your tactics, change your training, then edit your tactics during the game in order to actually win matches then what's the point? I don't have time for that, but if I did I'd probably have time for the full FM too. FMC has really let me down.

I'm using a simple 442 from FMBase and never change it nor scout the opposition or anything. I rarely even watch the matches and just use instant result to get through seasons quickly.

Tactically FMC doesn't differ from the full game, other features are streamlined not tactics, of course you have instant result and match plans, but under the hood there's the same match engine.

My approach before kick off is extraordinarily simple - I have a 3-1-4-2, a 3-5-2 and a 3-4-1-2.

They are subtly different, but generally the same.

If I don't face an AM, I won't use the 3-1-4-2, but if I do face one, I will.

If I face a 4-4-2, I'll use the 3-5-2 to dominate midfield, and if against a notably poorer side, I'll use the 3-4-1-2.

That apart, and some man marking apart, I rarely need to change my Team Instructions at all.

Not wanting to change tactics during a game is too simplistic in my opinion.

If the AI make a fundamental change, like a change in shape, then it is just crazy not to make some sort of adjustment.

There's no reason to slate you, but I do think you are missing out and I do think you've judged it too quickly.

I have one tactic that suits all opposition and I only make minor changes during the match. You don't have to scout next opposition at all. Just have two or three sensible tweaks up your sleeve and be aware of any formation that might leave you vulnerable. If you do scout next opposition you can read a summary in 10 seconds without even leaving your inbox. From there you can go as deep as you want. Or not.

As for training, if you are playing an older version of FM then it will be more complicated than training in FMC. Select it at the beginning of the season and then ignore it.

Ultimately, how I or anyone else play the game is irrelevant. If you want to setup tactics and get on with it then there is absolutely no reason you can't be successful and have fun. With the new tactics interface this is easier than ever.

Give it a go, give it some time - I don't think you'll regret it.

Hi,

I am having some success with the following, but I am moving through the game quite quickly so I could be doing better if I took my time, just messing about at the mo, however I think as the above states, its pretty much a tactic for all, except maybe when you are playing a really weak time.

Formation 4-4-1-1

Team

GK-D

FB-Au CD-D CD-D FB-Au

WM-A DLP-S CM-D WM-A

SS-A

F9-S

Balanced and Counter

Instructions (of the top of my head):

Retain possesion

Shorter passing

Play narrower

Look to overlap

Stick to position

I think I am missing a couple but im at work so cannot check, the only player order I give is for the SS to shoot more often. Played 20 games and currently 5th, only player I have signed is Piotr Trochowski from Sevilla, who plays as the SS. I have tried different combination in centre midfield but the CM-D and DLP-S seems to work best, as for up front I tried CF-S and EG-A which worked ok but I didnt seem to retain the possesion as well, also Trochowski doesnt have the greatest of finishing, but I signed him cause he was on the TL :D

My plan is to create an attacking formation for when I am playing weaker teams, or need to get a goal late in the game.

I don't think I explained very well. It's impossible to succeed playing FMC unless you spend hours tweaking your tactics before games and during games. This is fundamentally wrong. People play FMC so they don't have to bother with that.

I simply don't have the time/energy to tweak tactics constantly. That's the reason why I was excited about FMC. If I still have to tweak tactics in order to win then what's the point? Like I said, I'm back playing the old FMs where tactics don't have to be tweaked. SI don't understand their target demographic for FMC if they require tactics to be tweaked constantly in order to win.

I don't think I explained very well. It's impossible to succeed playing FMC unless you spend hours tweaking your tactics before games and during games. This is fundamentally wrong. People play FMC so they don't have to bother with that.

I simply don't have the time/energy to tweak tactics constantly. That's the reason why I was excited about FMC. If I still have to tweak tactics in order to win then what's the point? Like I said, I'm back playing the old FMs where tactics don't have to be tweaked. SI don't understand their target demographic for FMC if they require tactics to be tweaked constantly in order to win.

No. I played over 100 seasons on one save on FMC13 using the one tactic, no tweaks, nothing. On FMC14 I've been using the same 4141 since the start, no changes and still winning

Yeah I decided to give FMC a bash there earlier and while I like it the tactics side is the exact same so I'll just go back to the full version.

The appeal of it for me was the idea of speed and simplicity compared to the slowness and over complicated nature of the main game but seeming you can't simply set up a simple logical tactic and get on it but still have to react and constantly change things in FMC it makes it all fairly pointless.

You're better off just sticking with the main game where you can give yourself a better chance with extra motivational and training options.

The only point I can see to FMC is that it is faster as there is no real simplicity to it seeming you have to use the same complicated tactics approach.

It is so much quicker to set up tactics in this version than any other FM game. It took me less than 2 minutes. The changes I make during the match can be applied in 5-10 seconds. The amount of effort you are envisaging is nowhere near the amount of effort actually required.

Its on FM Base. W4NKER's 4141 or something its called

Have to look for that I suppose although it might mean nothing in fmc14.

I think now I have to tell my story as it's rather weird.

Started with Spurs and used default formation of 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 however you want to think of it, yes the odd tweak here and there ans saved as "andy".

I got 5th in first season (yes no suprise lost out on 4th on last game, sound familiar).

Then mid way through 2nd season given the boot as was around 13th after 15 games.

Went to Q.P.R who were mid table in championship but didnt win a game from Nov 14-Jan 15 and got the boot, yep exactly.

Then Everton wanted me or I wanted them and kind of just hung around till summer 17, got them to 10th but just came no fun as I couldnt even afford a physio so like Moyes I couldnt do any more.

Then I left them to join newcastle who came 6th that year hence in euro cup but I lost in qualifier, won 3-0 away hence rested everyone and lost 5-1 at home. In all of this (since Everton I guess) I also tried the "Fulcrum" tactic but yep hasnt really got me anywhere.

Anyway suprise suprise I was 17th just before xmas and got the boot again and joined southampton early 2018, note Newcastle went onto finish bottom.

Really quite odd with saints again trying to switch between the 2 tactics but in the end nothing good came of it so come late 2019 guess what, I got the boot again. Now for the the most amazing bit of all, after saints got rid of me and newcastle (who were top of the championship) came crawling so that being one interesting note so I thought ok then what choice do I have, andy tactic was used and yep I went on to win championship with 90 points so here I am ready for prem again in 20/21 but I dont understand what's going on here with respect to game and tactics.

Maybe not quite as odd as it appears at first. You've done well first season with Spurs and Newcastle (2nd time), when you are expected to win games, so it sounds as though your tactic is well suited to breaking down teams who are a little more cautious and not so well suited to soaking up pressure - and possibly lacking pace. It's the second season with Spurs that is the anomaly. After 15 games that could be as little as one or two results and reputation changes/good morale for other teams.

Going up with Newcastle morale will be key. If you haven't already done pre-season arrange easy, winnable games. Harder games may test your players and tactics, but they may also damage morale. If you improve the spine of the team (faster centre backs, destroyer type in midfield and a striker who can fashion his own chances) then that could make all the difference. You're going to have less of the ball, so your tactics will not work in the same way.

Maybe not quite as odd as it appears at first. You've done well first season with Spurs and Newcastle (2nd time), when you are expected to win games, so it sounds as though your tactic is well suited to breaking down teams who are a little more cautious and not so well suited to soaking up pressure - and possibly lacking pace. It's the second season with Spurs that is the anomaly. After 15 games that could be as little as one or two results and reputation changes/good morale for other teams.

Going up with Newcastle morale will be key. If you haven't already done pre-season arrange easy, winnable games. Harder games may test your players and tactics, but they may also damage morale. If you improve the spine of the team (faster centre backs, destroyer type in midfield and a striker who can fashion his own chances) then that could make all the difference. You're going to have less of the ball, so your tactics will not work in the same way.

Well thankyou for your thoughts playmaker, much appreciated!

Once you figured out your tactic, you can fly through a lot of matches. It's not impossible to tweak/create a tactic by using only key highlights and then using instant results where the only thing your assistant manager is doing is just substitutions. With a media prediction 9th I was using a high pressing possession 3-4-3 tactic in chile's 2nd league. All matches were played by using instant results. Despite the youngest team in league and low defence I ended with 94 goals in 38 matches + 3rd best defence. Totally dominated the league in possession, shots and goals with 13 points ahead to the 2nd.

This is what wwfan said in his how to play FM14 thread:

Before reading: There are many ways in which we interpret football. Some people believe that a team should always employ the same tactic, no matter the opposition, conditions, and match situation. Others believe that a tactical approach should be altered to take into account absolutely everything, giving instructions to play the ball more direct in wet weather, specific marking oppositional threats, changing formation in relation to the opposition's strengths and weaknesses, etc, etc. FM allows both playing styles, and all those in between, to achieve.

Man Hug from New Zealand mate - Im with you. This is meant to be a game not a lifestyle, far to much micro managing. I looked at my game stats on steam the other day and 15 Classic mode games into my save has taken me 45hrs! (who needs sleep right)

What i have stumbled on though is the Preset tactics seem to work best, and add very few instructions. My post asking about other players findings. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370855-Do-Preset-tactics-work-better

Im yet to try "instant results" but do enjoy watching the highlights (key), may try "instant results" and watching highlights after?

I have been using 4-2-3-1 with FC Bayern and it is working pretty well. I know the squad has a lot to do with it, but I have been dominating possession 65-35 and have shots on goal in some games 50-1, 45-2, 40-0. I have lost a few games, it makes Neuer like the worst keeper in the world. Give up 1 or 2 shots a game and they all go in. LOL

One thing I have noticed with FMC this year (it probably worked last year also but is now more intuitive) is even though you do not have opposition instruction options, you can instruct your players to "close down more", "tackle harder", "mark tighter" "mark specific player" which would result in something similar. I really use OIs a lot and that is a nice replacement for me in FMC.

Since you have no tactic familiarity penalty in FMC, you can change your tactic based on the opponent as well. I had one game, where I checked the opposition's defenders and they were really slow, so I instructed my players to "pass into space" and play at a "higher tempo." I was able to exploit their lack of speed and scored several by getting behind them.

It's always good to watch at least the first couple of minutes to get a feel of how you play and then adjust a bit, then let it run, and maybe stop in intervals to adjust again. Doesn't take that much time.

I'm playing with 442 diamond and just finishing my 1st season in Finland. Weird thing: we're ok when instant resulting (my relegation-tipped team finishing 8/12 in the league), but when I'm actually playing the games we're useless. I must be useless, then :eek: Of the 33 games I've maybe simmed 2/3 and played 1/3; the best I've got is a couple of draws. Not a single win.

Phef...

Archived