Wingate & Finchley F.C. - making Harry Abrahams proud

dafuge

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 titles back to back is very impressive given that you were stuck in the BSP for 7 years :thup: It must've been weird struggling in the lower leagues for once daf :p

I quite enjoyed it actually. It's just a shame that League 1/2 didn't provide the same sort of challenge :(

Wingate & Finchley - npower Championship - 2023/24

We have been promoted as champions for three years in a row, but this season was always going to be a difficult one.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a few good results but just couldn't string a series of wins together. It became obvious we were going to end up in mid table so rotated the squad quite a lot in the second half of the season. We finished the season in terrible form so we will need to improve on that next season.

Capital One Cup - nothing spectacular as we beat a lower league team then lost to a Premier League one.

FA Cup - much like the Carling Cup, we lost to Premier League opposition.

Transfers - the new scouting limits meant I was able to scout players in Europe, so there was an influx of foreign signings as I sold off most of the old squad for a decent profit.

Squad - this is a decent squad, but with a lot of new players things haven't really clicked this season. With a small number of additions I think this squad should be capable of pushing for promotion.

Finances - the new owner has invested £9m, which means we don't really need to worry about money for a while.

Key Player Profiles:

Frank Louis - none of the new striker impressed, so it was one of the old squad that was our top scorer.

Mehdi Sergent - easily our best player this season.

André - had a solid season in midfield.

Troy Spong - he's still keeping his place in the team.

Mourad Adrar - probably the best of the new strikers, but struggled with injuries.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/14   Blue Square Bet South    2nd         Promoted via playoffs
2014/15   Blue Square Bet Premier  19th
2015/16   Blue Square Bet Premier  18th
2016/17   Blue Square Bet Premier  6th
2017/18   Blue Square Bet Premier  3rd         FA Trophy winners and Playoff finalists
2018/19   Blue Square Bet Premier  12th         
2019/20   Blue Square Bet Premier  4th         Playoff finalists
2020/21   Blue Square Bet Premier  1st         Promoted as champions
2021/22   npower League Two        1st         Promoted as champions
2022/23   npower League One        1st         Promoted as champions
2023/24   npower Championship      20th

Next Season

There are lots of improvements going on with the facilities, so hopefully next season we will be in a decent position to push for promotion.

Wingate & Finchley - npower Championship - 2024/25

Last season we struggled in the Championship, but with a young squad we had the potential to improve.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We spent the whole season battling with Sunderland for top spot, and despite our poor form at the end of the season we managed to secure the title on the final day with a 3-2 win over Chesterfield.

Capital One Cup - we had little interest in this cup.

FA Cup - we had a superb run making a trip to Wembley, even if it ended in defeat.

Transfers - there were very few changes as I kept most of the squad from last season.

Squad - based on the cup games I think this squad should be capable of competing in the Premier League, so hopefully I can add a few players to improve our chances.

Finances - we made a slight profit this year, adding to the investment from the new owners.

Key Player Profiles:

Mourad Adrar - joint top scorer, and probably our best striker.

David Gehrmann - the other joint top scorer.

Mehdi Sergent - not far behind them in the scoring from midfield, and easily our best player of the season.

Gregory Jeanne - he's being moulded into a DM and he's made a good start.

Mikhail Malakhov - he spent a lot of the season injured, but could have been a star.

Career Overview

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18   Blue Square Bet Premier  3rd         FA Trophy winners and Playoff finalists
2024/25   npower Championship      1st         Promoted as champions

Next Season

We showed the quality in our squad in winning the title so hopefully most of the squad can carry on into the big league. Our scouting range has been increased so I'm expecting an influx of South Americans to help us progress in the Premier League.

Wingate & Finchley - Barclays Premier League - 2025/26

Last season we narrowly won the Championship, so we had the tough task of staying up in the Premier League ahead of us.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a shocking start to the season and never really got going, only picking up the odd win here and there. A reasonable run at the end of the season was enough to keep us up, but it came down to the final day.

Capital One Cup - it wasn't a priority, but I didn't enjoy this defeat.

FA Cup - it was a decent run including revenge over Southampton, but we were outplayed at home to Villa.

Transfers - for the first time in this career I actually spent some money. Unfortunately none of them really made that big an impact.

Squad - the squad has to improved for next season. We have a few decent youngsters but we are lacking the squad depth to make a difference in this league.

Finances - we made a huge profit with the crazy Premier League TV money.

Key Player Profiles:

Mehdi Sergent - joint top scorer and easily our player of the season.

Israel - the other joint top scorer, who hopefully can make a bigger impact next season.

Marcelo - was once described as a wonderkid, but hasn't really impressed so far.

Isaac Rodriguez - another big money signing who has yet to shine.

Danny Cook - still solid in defence.

Career Overview

2025/26   Barclays Premier League  16th        

Next Season

Staying up was massive as it looked like we were going down early on in the season. We need to strengthen the squad to make sure we don't have another relegation battle.

Wingate & Finchley - Barclays Premier League - 2026/27

Last season we struggled in the Premier League but managed to stay up. With a young squad full of potential we had a chance to build on that.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We led the chasing pack but there was a big gap to the bigger teams in the top five. That showed throughout the season as we consistently lost to the bigger clubs above us.

Capital One Cup - it was an unspectacular run as we lost fairly early on.

FA Cup - the draw was kind to us throughout which took us all the way to the final. We gave them a good match but Man City were just a bit too good for us.

Transfers - we spent big as we really had the chance to improve the squad.

Squad - we have the basis of a great squad here, the only thing that is missing is the squad depth to really challenge the bigger teams.

Finances - money really isn't an issue as our fairly small wage bill means we are able to run at a decent profit. My only worry is that will quickly disappear once I renew a few contracts.

Key Player Profiles:

Ante Jerbic - he was brought in to give us some quality up front, he gave us goals. Lots of goals.

Mehdi Sergent - he's still running the show from midfield.

Gustavo Bogado - this signing helped us tighten up in defence.

William Suazo - I was really lucky to be able to pick up this goalie for just £900k.

Angel Castro - the youngster had a decent year as our second striker.

Career Overview

2025/26   Barclays Premier League  16th        
2026/27   Barclays Premier League  6th         FA Cup finalists

Next Season

We are just about to move into our new stadium, which hopefully will give us a bit of a financial boost. With European football next season we are going to need to strengthen the squad a bit, so hopefully I'll be able to add two or three players over the summer.

Fantastic season, however you are still conceding a lot in comparison to the big boys.

I'd guess that a large proportion of those goals were conceded against the teams above us, like this :D

I think breaking into the top six is going to take some time. I just don't think we could currently afford to improve the squad enough to catch those five up.

Archived