IGN member speak the truth about Football manager

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@godetc. If you or the AI don't change anything during the first half, it is. If you change anything during the first half, even the tiniest little thing, the rest of the half will be re-calculated. And so on. Repeat for 2.nd half.

This is what I have been lead to believe, anyway. It is the way it has to be, in order to bring you goal/key/extended highlights.

Cheers Thomit

I'm not defending SI, god knows the game has some serious issues, but can anyone name games that do successfully provide a long term challenge?

There aren't many that need the AI to make long-term strategic decisions, Civ springs to mind as one, and of those I can't think of any that don't cheat to provide a false sense of challenge. Civ and other 4X games do resource cheating, RTS games do both resource/diplomacy/fog-of-war cheating and the ability to micromanage a hundred units at the same time, FPS games do the range/accuracy/health/ammo cheating, and they aren't having to provide a long-term challenge. So although FM is poor, when it comes to keeping things on the level it's probably at the head of the pack. And yes I know the AI does insta-scouting FOW cheating.

It is unnecessary to have to know why competition might spur innovation in order to suggest that it may well do. Unfortunately it seems that many seem to think it is required. It is actually a lack of this (and other) knowledge that is a good reason to suggest competition in the first place.

I don't think mantralux or yourself can escape the argument that you are accusing SI of being either lazy, complacent or incompetent. You have both stated that the problems (that we've all agreed the game has) are easy to solve. If they are, and SI aren't solving them, then, by definition, you are accusing them of not being up to the task.

Perhaps, but I'll take a whack at it... ;)

You are suggesting that SI have all possible ingredients to make the best game possible, which implies that outside entities / events could have no impact on the set of "ingredients". I think that this is the assumption being made, not that SI must be "lazy, complacent or incompetent". No, it is precisely that one cannot anticipate what will come out of working with uncontrolled outside influences that makes it so appealing when confronting what appear to be intractable hurdles. If I cannot solve a problem by myself, I ask a friend for help, etc.. Competition can have influences much like cooperation in that solutions to difficult problems emerge from the process that can not be anticipated by any individual party.

As has been rightly pointed out, competition can also destroy things. There is not guarantee of progress, let alone for any particular entity. Doesn't mean it couldn't inspire SI to new heights though.

I think those that have supported the idea of stronger competition for FM have fallen into the trap of trying to defend the "What would that do?" and "Why would it work?" questions. It isn't necessary (or likely possible) to know. It may well be the case that no amount of competition, large or small, will spur the football manager market to new heights. And it almost certainly would be the case that if strong competition to FM arose that it would be an uncomfortable and risky impingement on SI. Its one of those things where it's "be careful what you wish for" must apply. Still, like any relationship, you can't know it'll be horrible without having it.

Deadlines are not the only thing to be met. A budget will also exist so hiring new staff is easier said than done for most companies. Since there is so little competition would increasing the budget be worth the extra sales? Would a better AI win over than many new customers? I don't know, do you?
Like I said, that's what project planning was for, and I used the example of hiring more developers as an example of what could be done. Evaluating the cost benefits will of course fall into this equation.
Is this forum not full of such pressure? Often with no foundation as well. See the wishlist threads for people "focusing their energies on asking things of SI" and doesn't this thread itself do this even if rather poorly?

Is it full of pressure? Not enough, personally. There's a lot of defending of SI, though, although that makes no sense from a customer perspective.

It is unnecessary to have to know why competition might spur innovation in order to suggest that it may well do. Unfortunately it seems that many seem to think it is required. It is actually a lack of this (and other) knowledge that is a good reason to suggest competition in the first place.

Perhaps, but I'll take a whack at it... ;)

You are suggesting that SI have all possible ingredients to make the best game possible, which implies that outside entities / events could have no impact on the set of "ingredients". I think that this is the assumption being made, not that SI must be "lazy, complacent or incompetent". No, it is precisely that one cannot anticipate what will come out of working with uncontrolled outside influences that makes it so appealing when confronting what appear to be intractable hurdles. If I cannot solve a problem by myself, I ask a friend for help, etc.. Competition can have influences much like cooperation in that solutions to difficult problems emerge from the process that can not be anticipated by any individual party.

As has been rightly pointed out, competition can also destroy things. There is not guarantee of progress, let alone for any particular entity. Doesn't mean it couldn't inspire SI to new heights though.

I think those that have supported the idea of stronger competition for FM have fallen into the trap of trying to defend the "What would that do?" and "Why would it work?" questions. It isn't necessary (or likely possible) to know. It may well be the case that no amount of competition, large or small, will spur the football manager market to new heights. And it almost certainly would be the case that if strong competition to FM arose that it would be an uncomfortable and risky impingement on SI. Its one of those things where it's "be careful what you wish for" must apply. Still, like any relationship, you can't know it'll be horrible without having it.

There's reason to believe that competition will not at the very least destroy all competitors. In the past, Championship Manager has been somewhat of a challenger and they didn't end up taking each other down. Then there's FIFA and PES, where the competition has led to both sides trading blows for years.

Like I said, that's what project planning was for, and I used the example of hiring more developers as an example of what could be done. Evaluating the cost benefits will of course fall into this equation.

Is it full of pressure? Not enough, personally. There's a lot of defending of SI, though, although that makes no sense from a customer perspective.

There's reason to believe that competition will not at the very least destroy all competitors. In the past, Championship Manager has been somewhat of a challenger and they didn't end up taking each other down. Then there's FIFA and PES, where the competition has led to both sides trading blows for years.

why is people talking about competition like its a big factor in this thread and FM, this thread its mainly addressing about how this game fails to stay consistent in the long term seasons, because of poor A.I. the user from IGN only pointed out the competition statement just to add value to his complaint

why is people talking about competition like its a big factor in this thread and FM, this thread its mainly addressing about how this game fails to stay consistent in the long term seasons, because of poor A.I. the user from IGN only pointed out the competition statement just to add value to his complaint

This thread has come a long way since you posted the OP (and have subsequently added nothing to). It's gone down the route it has because a number of people believe that the lack of competition is one of the reasons why the AI is poor. If you'd actually taken the time to read your thread you wouldn't need to ask the question. Well done for starting what has been for the most part a stimulating and interesting conversation, but all you did was post a user review and then leave everyone to it, so don't congratulate yourself too much.

The first page of GD has several threads either suggesting how to improve things or moaning that the game is broken in some way and there is also the bugs forums. There is a lot of defending SI though, which I admit gets a bit silly in some cases. I completely agree that SI should strive to improve every area of the game but I have no reason to believe they are not already doing so. I have only played the last four iterations but I believe they have improved each time and hopefully that trend continues.

I believe SI has no competition because they deliver an excellent product rather than that they make a product below standard because they have no competition. I also believe that every area of the game could be improved and hope that they will.

This thread has come a long way since you posted the OP (and have subsequently added nothing to). It's gone down the route it has because a number of people believe that the lack of competition is one of the reasons why the AI is poor. If you'd actually taken the time to read your thread you wouldn't need to ask the question. Well done for starting what has been for the most part a stimulating and interesting conversation, but all you did was post a user review and then leave everyone to it, so don't congratulate yourself too much.

Was always going pear shape in here once x42bn6 got his 2 pence worth in :p:brock:

lool you dont need to get annoyed just because i asked rhetorical question , i wasnt following the thread because unlike some people i havent really been online since i posted that thread , i didnt think there would be so many posts, but well done for you to be part of this interesting conversation , im sure you can continue posting all day long with your 1000+ posts while some other people actually do something with their time instead of spending it with by having a discussion on a games forum

There are so many wrong things I this thread I don't know where to start.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of FM now-a-days, but it has almost nothing to do with the AI.

And the idea that the match AI is one the reason FM is "bad", is laughable. Paul is a genius in that department, end of.

Also there seems to be a lot of confusion between the Match AI and the AI in other modules.

lool you dont need to get annoyed just because i asked rhetorical question , i wasnt following the thread because unlike some people i havent really been online since i posted that thread , i didnt think there would be so many posts, but well done for you to be part of this interesting conversation , im sure you can continue posting all day long with your 1000+ posts while some other people actually do something with their time instead of spending it with by having a discussion on a games forum

If you want to pick on people for their post count, you're really picking on the wrong person.

Now discuss the topic at hand or don't say anything at all.

If you want to pick on people for their post count, you're really picking on the wrong person.

Now discuss the topic at hand or don't say anything at all.

he had a go at me just because i joined the conversation , i was discussing the topic at hand till he made a unnecessary comment about what effort i put on this thread, he got annoyed for no reason, but sorry if i pointed out the number of posts he said , ill leave it and stop before this thread goes off topic.

Why did these not provide competition given it is not a question of resources or desire? Why did Fifa not just create a new match engine given that they had the resources and desire to be a realistic competitor? They clearly had competition to motivate them in the form of SI/Sega. I don't understand why they failed given what I've learnt today in this thread.

The team doesn't create a single coherent "engine" as such - there are multiple ways FIFA Manager calculates a match, one of them being an action packed 2x5 minutes sim based on an oldish FIFA Soccer Engine, but there are also completely different calculations for other modes of play. None of them are very compelling to say the least - currently you cannot even influence the basic style of play as all your team would ever do is playing a direct attacking game. This and similar quirks have been a trademark with this developer and designer for more than a decade. And the most puzzling of all is a German press that collectively insists on tactical and management depth that just isn't there. Taking a quick look at Metacritic on whatever iteration will tell you that pretty much every single glowing review hails from German speaking countries year in year out.

If EA really want to tackle the international markets one day, I can see them approaching Sega or SI rather than Bright Future in Cologne really catching up given their track record. Big IF. The truth is that whilst FIFA Manager may not be big news outside of its cozy German comfort zone, it is selling about 130,000+ copies* each in the German speaking territories year in year out with no "real" competition whatsoever interfering. Yes, you can buy Football Manager, but it is not officially released nor advertised nor anything. Certainly a rather comfortable situation to have around, given the arguably rather limited resources being allocated to FIFA Manager - the expensive exclusive licenses for the Bundesliga help to keep FIFA Manager afloat in Germany, but their main use lies in a much bigger game, and that much bigger game is FIFA Soccer.

Anyway, speaking about competition or lack thereof - in Germany things are evidently much worse off. You can see how a lack of competition skews people's expectations, in my opinion as evident in the often puzzling claims made in articles being published all around. It is well documented that many an editor doesn't even know anything else but FIFA anymore - nor do fans of manager games.

* number taken from an article dating a few years and iterations back.

From my own personal experience, SI do ask outside sources for help when they are confronted with intractable problems. But that's by the by. I'm not trying to suggest that they are, in any way, perfect. I am confronting the condemnation made my the two most vocal critics in this thread and asking them to clarify. You've given them a possible out, but I think they've already accumulated too much rope. That you had to provide it speaks volumes. I'm afraid you are being far too creditable.

Well said.

I'm not assuming the legacy code is an issue, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. One possible alternative could simply be a lack of unit/integration testing so there's no desire to stomach a refactoring, because you never know what breaks. There's a few other reasons why it's hard.

But in my experience, it's usually legacy code.

They don't have to tell us the coding secrets in detail. If they said "we use Markov chains/goal-based AI/neural networks/some common AI construct", congratulations, they've just told the world they've used one of the most useful technical constructs known in this area, which happens to be used by a large number of universities and companies. If they say they use some custom-built AI, then it will be a lot more interesting because I don't know why they'd pick something over things that simply work.

You see, at first glance, here I have to believe you, as I don't have the knowledge to argue the point. My only sources of reference are Paul Collyer, who has told the forums how difficult it is, and my own friends, who are successful software designers/coders, who also say it would be horribly difficult.

However, I can extrapolate. You are suggesting that it should be theoretically relatively simple to program a robust squad building / transfer AI that extends over 20 odd seasons. You've offered a coupe of theoretical solutions. However, you have forgotten practice. For this to be programmed, it needs to be tested. For it to be tested, you need to have constant simulations of 20 seasons or more, some being played by users, all being evaluated by testers, that find and feed relevant data back to the coders in order for them to correct code. Not looking so easy now, is it?

You are also failing to take into account balance problems. If the AI is slightly too aggressive in perfecting its squads, the transfer market gets flooded with money, destabilising the gameworld economy. Not aggressive enough, then the transfer market is totally stagnant, which also destabilises the gameworld economy. Get the balance wrong and the game because totally unplayable long-term. Consequently, major risk taking in this area should be avoided.

And even with the above, why should they let their competitors know which process they are using? Even if it is an industry standard? If there are more than one, you aren't going to tell potential competitors which one you know works best for football management simulations.

Employees might be stakeholders depending on whether or not they have a desire to see the company develop. A loyal employee might want to see a company develop because he cares, so will be a stakeholder. Some employees hold shares in the company, which means they have an interest in doing well and growing their investment. Some employees, of course, are in for their pay packet and nothing more.

Are customers stakeholders? In a lot of ways, I'd argue no, unless you hold shares in Sega or are an employee as well. If you really care about a company, then you could be considered a stakeholder as you too would suffer if it suffers.

Stakeholders hold stakes for different reasons and even stakeholders will have different desires. A loyal employee or caring customer wants to see a company do well both financially and reputationally. A shareholder cares more about financial results.

There are others, like the government, unions, regulators and auditors who would fall into the categories of "interested parties", but not all will have stakes in the company. In a lot of ways, some of these wouldn't be too concerned if the company failed, as long as the company wasn't too large, of course.

Now this sums up my real issue with you. Although I might accept your knowledge of coding as being robust and thus your observations legitimate, the above is massively problematic. I don't have to rely on others to tell me this, because it is my area of expertise. Your definition of stakeholders, although stabbing in the right direction, is pretty poor. However, your understanding of organizational motivation, hinted at again here and detailed in your other posts, is non-existent. Unfortunately for you, this undermines any faith I might have in anything else you are saying.

From my own personal experience, SI do ask outside sources for help when they are confronted with intractable problems. But that's by the by.

That is the kind of thing I'm trying to get at in defense of competition. Competition, or any sort of only partially voluntary interaction with outside forces can sometimes move a process beyond those areas we're amenable to addressing. Problems we seek answers to on our own, be they solved internally or through consultation, are potentially vastly different than problems we find ourselves having to solve because the actions of others have forced our hand in some way. This is why I wholeheartedly believe SI do everything they can to improve the product already and have little trouble accepting the above comments that "We are our own biggest critics" yet still think (hope? fantasize?) things could be improved further, beyond where SI are willing to go on their own initiative! The ideas are not contradictory.

I'm not trying to suggest that they are, in any way, perfect. I am confronting the condemnation made my the two most vocal critics in this thread and asking them to clarify. You've given them a possible out, but I think they've already accumulated too much rope. That you had to provide it speaks volumes. I'm afraid you are being far too creditable.

Well, frankly I care more that the idea of competition doesn't get thrown under the bus than about whether or not you're asking them to get rope or step on the nice wooden platform we have here ;) A poor line of reasoning proves and disproves nothing. "An absence of evidence...." and so forth.

That is the kind of thing I'm trying to get at in defense of competition. Competition, or any sort of only partially voluntary interaction with outside forces can sometimes move a process beyond those areas we're amenable to addressing. Problems we seek answers to on our own, be they solved internally or through consultation, are potentially vastly different than problems we find ourselves having to solve because the actions of others have forced our hand in some way. This is why I wholeheartedly believe SI do everything they can to improve the product already and have little trouble accepting the above comments that "We are our own biggest critics" yet still think (hope? fantasize?) things could be improved further, beyond where SI are willing to go on their own initiative! The ideas are not contradictory.

Well, frankly I care more that the idea of competition doesn't get thrown under the bus than about whether or not you're asking them to get rope or step on the nice wooden platform we have here ;) A poor line of reasoning proves and disproves nothing. "An absence of evidence...." and so forth.

I've no gripe against competition. Some viable competition might or might not improve Football Manager. My issue with the claims in this thread is that 'as there is no competition, SI aren't pushing themselves'. This has been defended via two arguments.

Firstly, there is the claim that the problems of long-term squad management and transfer AI are easy to solve. Those making this claim obviously have some grasp of theory, and perhaps some practical experience. However, from what I can tell, they haven't worked on any AI project of this scale. They then get confronted by others with industry knowledge who argue that the practice of AI coding is far more difficult than they are positing. We then get into the intractable knot common to theory v practice debates. I can't debate this, although I can choose, based on previous experience, whom to trust.

The group arguing that SI should be better at coding then, for me, completely undermine their legitimacy by making strong claims about competition and motivation that are, at best, hugely contestable and are, at worse, total nonsense. For example, I briefly mentioned Csikszentmihalyi earlier. Even adding his theories into the mix completely undermines the strength of the competition=motivation argument, let alone looking at the complexities of post-Schein organizational psychology and related critical debates. The over-simplification of their claims on competition and motivation suggests to me that they are equally over-simplifying their discussions on coding.

If I add the above to my own subjective decision on whom I should trust, then I find the critique faintly ridiculous. That's not to say I don't think the competition/motivation argument is completely invalid. Merely that it being presented as gospel is hugely problematic, which undermines any other claim made.

Wasn't the development of the FM 3D engine brought forward as a direct result of CM doing it?

I'm not using that as an example of motivating or complacency, more that competition influences development decision making.

Not according to SI. I have strong reason to believe that.

Fair points by Neil Brock here. It would be great if the AI was more clever when it comes to transfers because the likes of Man City spend alot of their money on players that cant even make the team. Also if a team is short on CB's the AI should notice this and try to buy a player in this position.

Not according to SI. I have strong reason to believe that.

Fair enough.

I'm kind of hoping that if there was a competitive product, that some of the decisions made about what to spend time on developing would have been different and I would still be interested in buying new versions of the game instead of clinging on to the last version that I enjoyed.

Fair enough.

I'm kind of hoping that if there was a competitive product, that some of the decisions made about what to spend time on developing would have been different and I would still be interested in buying new versions of the game instead of clinging on to the last version that I enjoyed.

Competition might generate innovation. It might not. I'd argue that you'd struggle to find any serious research on managing innovation and creativity that highlights the level of competition as being a key motivational factor. It is a factor, of course, but it should never be the core focus of a creative industry. Indeed, in the work I've done with creatives, explicit competing for critical acclaim actually harms the performance of the company, as it sucks up resources on meeting minor demands and current fashions at the expense of genuine innovation.

Competition might generate innovation. It might not. I'd argue that you'd struggle to find any serious research on managing innovation and creativity that highlights the level of competition as being a key motivational factor. It is a factor, of course, but it should never be the core focus of a creative industry. Indeed, in the work I've done with creatives, explicit competing for critical acclaim actually harms the performance of the company, as it sucks up resources on meeting minor demands and current fashions at the expense of genuine innovation.

Most of the time customers don't want innovation, they want their basic expectations met.

Depending on how mature the market is, competition either drives innovation or it drives focus on doing the fundamentals as well as possible.

The companies with the best customer experience ratings (and subsequently customer loyalty and brand value) are those that meet their customers' demands, not those that strive to exceed them.

Most of the time customers don't want innovation, they want their basic expectations met.

Depending on how mature the market is, competition either drives innovation or it drives focus on doing the fundamentals as well as possible.

The companies with the best customer experience ratings (and subsequently customer loyalty and brand value) are those that meet their customers' demands, not those that strive to exceed them.

Although you have some good points, this is over-simplification. Take Apple under Steve Jobs, for example. He paid no attention at all to customer demands. He also focused on innovation and design when everybody else in the industry thought cheap functionality was what everybody wanted. His argument was that customers didn't know what they wanted until you showed it to them.

Ultimately, in a creative industry, you need to trust in your vision. I believe FML failed because customer expectations and demands diluted that vision, whereas FM achieves because they, in large, haven't. I don't think external competition has ever had any major implications for that vision either, partly because SI make the game they want to play and won't compromise that based on what others may or may not be doing, and partly because no competitor has ever produced a serious rival.

Where I believe SI excel is they know when to put the breaks on that vision in respect to commercial realities. To survive, they have to release games to relatively tight deadlines. They don't have the luxury of spending hours and hours getting everything just right or to alter design for critical acclaim alone. They have to be pragmatic.

In this thread, they are being condemned for not getting something perfect in the belief that lack of competition, rather than necessary pragmatism and the complexity of the task is the core issue. If lack of competition is core, then SI are either lazy/complacent or incompetent. They either know how to fix it but won't, aren't aware the problem exists (pretty inconceivable) or aren't capable of fixing it, even though it is, apparently, an easy fix. If competition has nothing to do with it, then they are either incompetent or the problem is a very complex one with no easy solution.

I think it is a big stretch to condemn the industry leader as being incompetent or inept, so have to conclude the problem is extremely complex. I don't think external competition has very much to do with anything, although I won't dismiss it entirely.

I think a lot of the decisions made by Sega seem to support the theory that the goal for SI is strongly focused on sales. I think that would be more obvious to see if there was a competitor as they would be battling with a rival rather than ignoring the competition and just following their own path (ala Apple). As a result, I think the existence of competition would have an impact on FM's development.

I could be wrong, and obviously there are various degrees of balance between the two, but usually the focus is either on sales or on art.

I think a lot of the decisions made by Sega seem to support the theory that the goal for SI is strongly focused on sales. I think that would be more obvious to see if there was a competitor as they would be battling with a rival rather than ignoring the competition and just following their own path (ala Apple). As a result, I think the existence of competition would have an impact on FM's development.

I could be wrong, and obviously there are various degrees of balance between the two, but usually the focus is either on sales or on art.

I think you'll find that while SEGA wants sales to increase, the trust placed in SI's processes is absolute and the interference, bar SI having to meet contractual demands, minimal to non-existent. Given the track record of SI, SEGA would be incredibly foolish to interfere with the creative process.

I'm not discounting that managers in the creative industry don't have a deep reservoir of foolishness to draw upon. However, I don't think there is any evidence of SEGA ever forcing SI down a path they aren't happy taking. SI employees, from director, creatives, testers and coders, have consistently stated that the integrity of the game is their core motivation. Either they are all lying, or you are taking two and two and making five?

I also doubt they'd throw all their proven processes in the garbage just because a rival pops up.

As a consumer who disagrees with a lot of the development decisions made (specifically around new feature choices), in addition to seeing Sega's influence over things like DRM, I find it hard to believe that game integrity and ultimately quality hasn't been sacrificed to a degree to appeal to the masses to drive up sales.

To be more specific, I think the game was going through cycles of becoming more and more complex, then suddenly appeared to start being simplified, with feature development being less around the game mechanics and more around cosmetics. I can't see evidence to support that priorities haven't changed.

I accept that a lot of this is my own personal views, and I probably have a bit too much emotion around my disappointment with the development route the game has taken in recent years. So I could well be wide of the mark. But nonetheless it's how I feel.

As a consumer who disagrees with a lot of the development decisions made (specifically around new feature choices), in addition to seeing Sega's influence over things like DRM, I find it hard to believe that game integrity and ultimately quality hasn't been sacrificed to a degree to appeal to the masses to drive up sales.

Conflation. DRM has nothing to do with development. It is a production decision.

To be more specific, I think the game was going through cycles of becoming more and more complex, then suddenly appeared to start being simplified, with feature development being less around the game mechanics and more around cosmetics. I can't see evidence to support that priorities haven't changed.

Examples, please. They need to specify the dumbing down of the game, not the clarification of language or simplification of functionality. They also need to be indicative of a step away from the quest for a realistic simulation into a quest for an arcade mode.

This thread is useless.

Users defend this game, no matter what.

I agree with what the guy said.

I play normal tactics, set the game up how i want etc, using tools within the game. I do not use corner tactic, I only ever use regens.

I dominate after 1-2 seasons with average teams.

Conflation. DRM has nothing to do with development. It is a production decision.

I didn't say it did, I said in addition to. The combination of the two (the development choices and Sega's influence over something that SI was opposed to that was purely to try and drive up revenue)

Examples, please. They need to specify the dumbing down of the game, not the clarification of language or simplification of functionality.

Simplification of functionality is simplifying no? If previously you had to press 20 keys to do something that now took only 2 keys that would be development time spent making something more simple?

They also need to be indicative of a step away from the quest for a realistic simulation into a quest for an arcade mode.

"quest for a realistic simulation" is completely different to having integrity and a quality product. You could give each player a bladder bar, have wives and girlfriends to deal with, drive the team bus and justify them all as features under the "quest for realism" umbrella. That doesn't mean you end up with a quality product.

This thread is useless.

Users defend this game, no matter what.

I agree with what the guy said.

I play normal tactics, set the game up how i want etc, using tools within the game. I do not use corner tactic, I only ever use regens.

I dominate after 1-2 seasons with average teams.

See below:

- An awesome tactic built by user on this forum, then altered by me after some 40 seasons of playing that one tactic (I'm crap at tactics, needed a base to work off)

@ CaptainPlanet:

That's a "no, I don't have any examples" then?

I have plenty that fit my opinion, if I didn't, I wouldn't have that opinion. But debating the validity of each one of them with you would take far more effort than I'm willing to put in at 4 in the morning :)

Perhaps when you are well rested, then :)

SI have almost no competition. Why? Let's be frank, the game you are playing is still a business, money making.

The effort and trouble to make a complex game such as FM? Very high. The income compared to an easy to make game like FPS? FPS makes more money easier than a game like FM. Why would any business (if their interest is not for the love of the game) make such game? A game that takes more effort, hassle to make and yet gets them less money?

We should salute the Football Manager developers for sticking to it rather than switch attention to other kind of games that is so much easier to make, yet gets them more money than FM.

I always feel that if games paid more attention to psychology, the AI would be more realistic. The language being used always makes me think that the programmers are trying to simulate something they don't quite understand, and that's why gaming AI feels a bit too "robot-y" and has seemed to stagnate a bit and just lacking that final push into the territory of the Turing test.

Simplification of functionality is simplifying no? If previously you had to press 20 keys to do something that now took only 2 keys that would be development time spent making something more simple?

SI have been running usability studies for years. With a game as complex as FM they'd be daft to not try and make it as easy for new customers to get into as possible. It all goes towards making the game as good as it can be, I don't get why this is used as an example of SI being forced to dumb-down the game. Especially as the game has got more complex each iteration.

Guest avine
Hopefully everyone to a degree. Surely we all want to look back on FM12 in 20 years time and think "man, this is pathetic compared to FM32"? I don't particularly care whether that game is made by SI or someone else, but the chances are the best management games will be made by SI for the foreseeable future.

Imagine FM12-FM32 hours used multiplied per release lol-i promise to my self i would not think this way. Seriously now, even economists lately tend to abandon the thought that monopolies or oligopolies are mal. As customers some people(i would think ehm...80%) are looking to stay clear of dominance from companies that are not public etc and also want confirmation for their contribution, their effect in a market. So, about FM, the one factor that is really safer than anything alse is 'value' of a product. People see 'value' in FM and they buy it every year. I think it is fair when someone thinks based on 'value' and make his decisions as a customer.

You see, at first glance, here I have to believe you, as I don't have the knowledge to argue the point. My only sources of reference are Paul Collyer, who has told the forums how difficult it is, and my own friends, who are successful software designers/coders, who also say it would be horribly difficult.

However, I can extrapolate. You are suggesting that it should be theoretically relatively simple to program a robust squad building / transfer AI that extends over 20 odd seasons. You've offered a coupe of theoretical solutions. However, you have forgotten practice. For this to be programmed, it needs to be tested. For it to be tested, you need to have constant simulations of 20 seasons or more, some being played by users, all being evaluated by testers, that find and feed relevant data back to the coders in order for them to correct code. Not looking so easy now, is it?

Soak testing is already performed today. I'd argue it's no more difficult.

If you pick Markov decision processes, you can even derive analytical results out of it to reduce the amount of testing.

If the squad building is a separate module, it can even be balanced separately, to ensure the previous and new solutions have the same probability distributions.

The hope is that the code has been written in that way, of course, because if, say, the new squad building "alpha" AI was defective, it would fail while testing only that bit of code.

You are also failing to take into account balance problems. If the AI is slightly too aggressive in perfecting its squads, the transfer market gets flooded with money, destabilising the gameworld economy. Not aggressive enough, then the transfer market is totally stagnant, which also destabilises the gameworld economy. Get the balance wrong and the game because totally unplayable long-term. Consequently, major risk taking in this area should be avoided.

No. Major risk-taking simply needs more care.

All you need to do is make sure that given the input probability distribution (which can be easily achieved via AOP, i.e. AspectC++), this squad building module produces a similar probability distribution. If the software is sufficiently tested (which it will be, if SI have very good developers), then this shouldn't be incredibly difficult and reduces the risks substantially. Soak/UAT testing is then relatively agnostic to whether it's a surgical upgrade of a specific module or a one-line bugfix.

And even with the above, why should they let their competitors know which process they are using? Even if it is an industry standard? If there are more than one, you aren't going to tell potential competitors which one you know works best for football management simulations.

Because it would only be a tiny bit of what is important about the AI. "Goal-based AI" is vague enough, for example.

Even details like the game generating 45 minutes of the match in 2 seconds tells us a lot of things - i.e. that there is a timeline generated by the code and it is regenerated whenever a significant event happens. It also confirms that there is a random seed involved when the match starts because it helps do the replays and you can jump forwards and backwards between events. It would also explain why it's difficult to generate cross-game results (i.e. relegation battle => goal scored in another key match) because it's much more difficult to process matches in parallel, reducing the level of threading (as if it were one match per thread, there would be cross-thread dependencies). This hasn't killed SI. Something vague like "goal-based AI" won't either.

Now this sums up my real issue with you. Although I might accept your knowledge of coding as being robust and thus your observations legitimate, the above is massively problematic. I don't have to rely on others to tell me this, because it is my area of expertise. Your definition of stakeholders, although stabbing in the right direction, is pretty poor. However, your understanding of organizational motivation, hinted at again here and detailed in your other posts, is non-existent. Unfortunately for you, this undermines any faith I might have in anything else you are saying.

I'm happy to defer all of this motivational stuff to you. All I am trying to get across is that the concerns of a monopoly are different to the concerns of a company with an equal competitor, and one of those is losing business to the other. How you manifest that concern to your employees can be done in any sensible method, but if anything, it reduces the level of complacency because nobody can afford to sit on their laurels.

Soak testing is already performed today. I'd argue it's no more difficult.

If you pick Markov decision processes, you can even derive analytical results out of it to reduce the amount of testing.

If the squad building is a separate module, it can even be balanced separately, to ensure the previous and new solutions have the same probability distributions.

The hope is that the code has been written in that way, of course, because if, say, the new squad building "alpha" AI was defective, it would fail while testing only that bit of code.

FM is certainly modular.

Out of interest, have you had any practical experience in AI coding at any complex level or is all your knowledge theoretical?

I'm certainly interested in knowing quite how useful it would be to run an extensive soak of a 20 year simulation across 20 odd leagues. I can understand that this would pick up trends, but would it pick up the reasons for when the trend started to veer way from an acceptable parameter. Would it be possible to fine tune the testing around the soak, or would you still need individual testers casting individual eyes over specific transfers? Basically, will a soak/UAT be enough in itself?

I don't think I've said it's easy to solve, and mantralux has given a suggestion that sounds easy but of course will not be difficult to implement in practice.

Mantralux's suggestion is entirely unworkable and would move us from one undesirable state of affairs, to another.

The two players per position isn't how real-life sides often work, where smaller teams with smaller squads provide cover through 'utility' players that cover multiple positions. So you actually risk financially unsustainable models.

Plus, it's a bodge-job solution to a tiny fraction of the squad management issue. Which makes it pretty pointless.

Depending on how "legacy" the codebase is, easy solutions might simply have complex implementations. Markov decision processes, the suggestion I put out, are very easy to actually do but integrating that with the legacy codebase could be difficult. Imagine, for example, if squad building wasn't a module in itself, but a criss-cross of dependencies.

I'd like to hear from developers why it's so hard. You can find algorithms for Markov decision processes quite easily. Does the codebase not use anything similar? If so, why is it hard to adjust?

Firstly, it's bound to be a criss-cross of dependencies because it involves a squad module, a tactics/ME module, and a finance module. The finance/contracting module is one of the big underlying problems for squad building AI in FM.

Secondly, you've talked about solving this with Markov Chains quite a bit, and said it's an easy solution. However, while that sounds brilliant and well-informed, you have not actually suggested how/why that's a simple solution. So could you elaborate on how Markov Chains would solve the problem? I'm far from convinced.

I'm happy to defer all of this motivational stuff to you. All I am trying to get across is that the concerns of a monopoly are different to the concerns of a company with an equal competitor, and one of those is losing business to the other. How you manifest that concern to your employees can be done in any sensible method, but if anything, it reduces the level of complacency because nobody can afford to sit on their laurels.

Actually, competition breeds a sense of having to play safe, because a broken product will cost you more than a stable one. When you have less economic pressure on you, you can be more creative without the same level of risk attached. You've decided what you think makes theoretical sense without really thinking it through. Intense competition makes for an unimaginative workforce. If you think "Wow, this has to be right or I'll get fired", you focus on not doing anything wrong, not on being innovative.

Mantralux's suggestion is entirely unworkable and would move us from one undesirable state of affairs, to another.

The two players per position isn't how real-life sides often work, where smaller teams with smaller squads provide cover through 'utility' players that cover multiple positions. So you actually risk financially unsustainable models.

Plus, it's a bodge-job solution to a tiny fraction of the squad management issue. Which makes it pretty pointless.

Firstly, it's bound to be a criss-cross of dependencies because it involves a squad module, a tactics/ME module, and a finance module. The finance/contracting module is one of the big underlying problems for squad building AI in FM.

Secondly, you've talked about solving this with Markov Chains quite a bit, and said it's an easy solution. However, while that sounds brilliant and well-informed, you have not actually suggested how/why that's a simple solution. So could you elaborate on how Markov Chains would solve the problem? I'm far from convinced.

Actually, competition breeds a sense of having to play safe, because a broken product will cost you more than a stable one. When you have less economic pressure on you, you can be more creative without the same level of risk attached. You've decided what you think makes theoretical sense without really thinking it through. Intense competition makes for an unimaginative workforce. If you think "Wow, this has to be right or I'll get fired", you focus on not doing anything wrong, not on being innovative.

Yes possibly, but isn't this what some people are looking for from SI - forget about creating new bells & whistles and concentrate on improving the basics.

Yes possibly, but isn't this what some people are looking for from SI - forget about creating new bells & whistles and concentrate on improving the basics.

What if to improve the basics from what they are now they need to be innovative and take a bit of a risk?

What if to improve the basics from what they are now they need to be innovative and take a bit of a risk?

They probably would, maybe you missed this bit ^

Archived