Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Missed half of the game but what I saw of it we looked really good. Sturridge (get your head up!) and Suarez linked up well, Henderson is improving all the time but he still has a long way to go to convince me. Just need to start getting some results against teams higher than us.

Bit of a non story but who was Gerrard (absolute class yesterday) looking back and scowling at after the Suarez goal? He didn't look happy at all.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, remember that chance when Sturridge could have laid it off to Johnson to his left for a one on one chance with a keeper, but decided to go for a shot himself? He does that a lot. He'll not choose the correct option, and while he's getting away with it now, it'll soon become a problem. We'll need to take that out of his game.

record against bottom half teams W9 D2 L1

that is fantastic, and so many previous seasons' performances against such teams have been abysmal and what has cost us 4th place. was W7 D7 L6 last season and W9 D3 L8 the season before.

Really need to up our game against top half teams though. Obviously points lost/thrown away vs City and Everton, but in 10/11 it was W8 D4 L6 and the 3rd best in the league, 11/12: W7 D3 L8 and 6th best. So far this season we are 18th with W0 D5 L6, i.e. we'd have to win every remaining game against top half opposition to match last year and can't hit the year before(though teams will move in/out top half so that can change). The very bad start hit us hard in that departement, but I'm quite happy to be playing Arsenal/City next so we can see how we can do against them following some fantastic football recently at teams lower down the table.

And of course a :cool: for that Sturridge dummy. Really great to see he plays with a smile on his face a lot of the time too, even when things haven't gone right.

We beat West Ham away when they were top, so there's one win straight away. Unless you're going to move the goal posts everytime the teams 8th-10th exchange with bottom half teams.

I'm quite happy to be playing Arsenal/City next so we can see how we can do against them following some fantastic football recently at teams lower down the table.

As long as we don't sit back and think " wow, we are playing the bigger boys, better pay them a bit more respect ", like we did against United.

Of course you can't treat Utd, Arsenal and City the same as the lower teams but the way we sat off Utd in the first 45mins was a joke tbh.

Reminded me of the way Fulham played against us in the game at Anfield. No more of that nonsense please :)

I dont care about not beating top 4 or 5 teams its the other we have to beat. I know its great being United but over the season its about consistency beating the teams we should be beating. I love how Brendan has allowed the players to play with a freedom and a smile on their face something previous managers didn't allow.

After Man City and Arsenal the top 14 sides we have either played twice or play them at Anfield so this second half of the season we should accumulate more points than we did in the first half of the season and hopefully finish top 6.

We got 50 million for Torres, if we were to sell Suarez (which I hope do god we dont!), then i'd want at least 60 million. Why settle for less, he's on a long term contract and he is a unique player. The word 'world class' is thrown around a lot these days, Suarez is someone who does stuff on the football pitch that hardly any other players in the world can do. He's not RVP in terms of finishing but then again RVP can't beat a player in less than a inch of space. I think he's one of a few genuine world class players in the premiership.

why are we talking about selling suarez again?

Transfer window is open a paper decides to write a lazy story as not much going on so far and people commenting on it. Sneijder has signed for Galatasary.

The Liverpool manager said: "Jamie Carragher has not put a foot wrong for me since I've been here. He has been absolutely brilliant.

"He hasn't played as much as he would have liked, he's played a lot of the cup games, and I hope not to put a curse on him but I can't remember him making mistake in a game for me.

"I just felt we needed his leadership. We are a quiet team and he is a great organiser and manages the game well. He has great experience and he can play football.

"I thought him coming in would give us that bit of extra leadership and I thought he was fantastic."

He's right though. Our defence has been **** poor, recently.

What does that even mean? You can't just select half the fixtures. :D

People use these things all the time to show form and such, no idea why you've took issue with Tony saying it.

People use these things all the time to show form and such, no idea why you've took issue with Tony saying it.

Because it was a stat that only represents part of the full picture, which doesn't represent the whole story. A lot of people do it these days; in the media mainly. Stick that 'not won anyone in top 10' stats bollocks on the pile, as well.

Because it was a stat that only represents part of the full picture, which doesn't represent the whole story. A lot of people do it these days; in the media mainly. Stick that 'not won anyone in top 10' stats bollocks on the pile, as well.

why do you label it as "bollocks"?

it's called form stats - can only beat what's in front of you, struggling to see the issue here.

why do you label it as "bollocks"?

Because of this:

We beat West Ham away when they were top, so there's one win straight away. Unless you're going to move the goal posts everytime the teams 8th-10th exchange with bottom half teams.

It's a pointless stat as there's changes to the 'top 10'.

it's called form stats - can only beat what's in front of you, struggling to see the issue here.

It's not representing the whole picture though. You can't just select the home games when discussing the defensive stability of the team, as the defence plays away as well as home.

Real stat: We've had 4 clean sheets in the past 9 (no idea why it's this random number) games.

there are changes to the top 10 but the longer it goes on the more representative the table is of a teams quality. obviously there are changes to teams in jan and form and injuries and such, but it's still a good indication of problem areas over the course of the season when there are large swings. it doesnt really matter if it's 1 or 0 wins against the top ten when its been out of 12 games and to focus on that is to miss the point (especially when that team is west ham)

as for home form, that's very important to the mentality and confidence of the team when playing at home and the attitude away teams come with. you watch ****** teams go to Old Trafford and they're quite clearly happy to settle for a draw from the off, where as we've been leaking goals and results like crazy the last few seasons at home so teams come to play, knowing a win is far from impossible.

Should have beat City at home.

Arsenal we should have got beat by.

Tottenham away, could have won.

Man United at home, would have won if the ref didn't make two terrible decisions.

Should have beat Everton away, if it was not for some shithouse of a linesman.

Should have beat City at home.

Arsenal we should have got beat by.

Tottenham away, could have won.

Man United at home, would have won if the ref didn't make two terrible decisions.

Should have beat Everton away, if it was not for some shithouse of a linesman.

Really though, we did win Everton if the linesman wasn't a tit.

Out of those games I honestly believe we should have probably had 8pts, but its all about fine lines.

Archived