FMTN Grid Tactic

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st game of the new season, at home vs Lingfield, Lingfield being favourites so I use the stand off tactic.

Won 7-0, my middle striker Chinthengah scoring 4 and set up 2, against one of the favourites for promotion! I know it's one game but, promising signs, hopefully I can get back to back promotions.

From all the games I've played using this so far, it does seem, for me anyway, that stand off away from home and when you're underdogs, with press for home games or heavy favourites, seems a good option. Changes the style of play a little bit making it a bit unpredictable for the ME to counteract using just one tactic.

Just a suggestion though..

cheers thanx for the advice, i've been using the tactic now for 9 games now. i've won all them bar one which i drew 2-2 with napoli away in the champs league which i still class as a good result. also i'l second that about koscielny, alsways keeping mertesacker

How would you play Muniain,Llorente,Suarez and Podolski as a 3 up front in this formation? As none of them are really getting the goals.

That is such an odd front three.

Realistically it should be: Muniain--Llorente--Suarez

But that won't work with this tactic

Try: Muniain--Suarez--Llorente

That is such an odd front three.

Realistically it should be: Muniain--Llorente--Suarez

But that won't work with this tactic

Try: Muniain--Suarez--Llorente

I was only playing with 1 up front in my other formation, with Muniain and Suarez as inside forwards.

The only thing with playing Llorente on the right of the 3 i'm sure in the op he states thats there more like wingers playing in the SC position and that you need to set them to man mark there fullbacks, Llorente as not got the pace/acceleration to do this.

I was only playing with 1 up front in my other formation, with Muniain and Suarez as inside forwards.

The only thing with playing Llorente on the right of the 3 i'm sure in the op he states thats there more like wingers playing in the SC position and that you need to set them to man mark there fullbacks, Llorente as not got the pace/acceleration to do this.

Yes, your absolutely right. However, that is slightly cancelled out by the fact that pace for your front striker is more of a priority than pace for your outer strikers.

Atleast, this way you have pace and agility upfront. Llorente works well holding up the ball and can play passes in so he should be okay!

Yes, your absolutely right. However, that is slightly cancelled out by the fact that pace for your front striker is more of a priority than pace for your outer strikers.

Atleast, this way you have pace and agility upfront. Llorente works well holding up the ball and can play passes in so he should be okay!

Right I see, going to start a new game with Liverpool as I started this half way though my 4 season with them. What am I looking for states or stars to begin with?

Right I see, going to start a new game with Liverpool as I started this half way though my 4 season with them. What am I looking for states or stars to begin with?

Tbh with you Liverpool are the worst team for these 433 that seem to be coming out on these forums. They require pace upfront more than any other tactic.

The best thing you could do is maybe sign one or two cheap defenders with potential to strengthen your side: Vrsaljko (FB) Dodo (FB) Prestia (CB) Rodrigo Miranda (CB)

Then set up your midfield as Leiva holding (dm) and gerrard and adams as your cm.

Then spend most of your money upfront on quick and agile players with a good amount of acceleration. There are three ways you can set up your front three to ensure it is balanced:

Inside-Centre-Inside (Young-Rooney-Nani)

Centre-Centre-Centre (Benzema-Higuain-Hulk)

Support-Centre-Support (Rooney-Gomez-Tevez)

Inside= Wingers who are capable of playing upfront because they cut in from the wing to shoot/pass anyway

Centre= Strikers who are natural finishers and speedsters and play a central roll up top

Support= Industrious strikers who look to come back and get more involved with the play

Tbh with you Liverpool are the worst team for these 433 that seem to be coming out on these forums. They require pace upfront more than any other tactic.

The best thing you could do is maybe sign one or two cheap defenders with potential to strengthen your side: Vrsaljko (FB) Dodo (FB) Prestia (CB) Rodrigo Miranda (CB)

Then set up your midfield as Leiva holding (dm) and gerrard and adams as your cm.

Then spend most of your money upfront on quick and agile players with a good amount of acceleration. There are three ways you can set up your front three to ensure it is balanced:

Inside-Centre-Inside (Young-Rooney-Nani)

Centre-Centre-Centre (Benzema-Higuain-Hulk)

Support-Centre-Support (Rooney-Gomez-Tevez)

Inside= Wingers who are capable of playing upfront because they cut in from the wing to shoot/pass anyway

Centre= Strikers who are natural finishers and speedsters and play a central roll up top

Support= Industrious strikers who look to come back and get more involved with the play

So would Defoe,Agbonlahor and Suarez be any good?

Reina=Gk

Johnson=RB

Enrique=LB

Agger=CB

Skrtel=CB

Leiva=DM

Gerrard=CML (when fit) Henderson till then

Adam=CMR

Agbonlahor=SCL

Defoe=SC

Suarez=SCR

So would Defoe,Agbonlahor and Suarez be any good?

Reina=Gk

Johnson=RB

Enrique=LB

Agger=CB

Skrtel=CB

Leiva=DM

Gerrard=CML (when fit) Henderson till then

Adam=CMR

Agbonlahor=SCL

Defoe=SC

Suarez=SCR

Well, I see a centre-centre-centre link up with your quickest central striker in the middle....

so yep, that's fine!

For the strikers, personaly I prefer to play ---creator --- finisher ---creator--- . By creator I mean an inside forward type converted to striker, with creative qualities, like, for example, Jovetic or Willian. The two wide strikers are your main source of assists. Also, for me, "inverted" strikers have generally been better. For MCs I prefer complete players with ballanced offensive and defensive qualities (at the moment I have Andrea Poli and Radja Nainngolan because I managed to get them on the cheap)

1st game of the new season, at home vs Lingfield, Lingfield being favourites so I use the stand off tactic.

Won 7-0, my middle striker Chinthengah scoring 4 and set up 2, against one of the favourites for promotion! I know it's one game but, promising signs, hopefully I can get back to back promotions.

From all the games I've played using this so far, it does seem, for me anyway, that stand off away from home and when you're underdogs, with press for home games or heavy favourites, seems a good option. Changes the style of play a little bit making it a bit unpredictable for the ME to counteract using just one tactic.

Just a suggestion though..

Mate could you post a screenshot of how many you have scored last season and this season from corners and all?

I saw the which part of the pitch assists from but also wanted to see how many you got from corners.

Will give it a shot once I start playing again as it seems really good and a really nice write up too.

Been away from the forums and Football manager for a couple of months now, but loaded the game back up and logged in on here this evening; scrolled through some of the old threads I used to lurk, before heading over to the tactics - have to say, not much changed, plenty of Barca-eque. tactics as you'd imagine, but the title of 'Grid Tactic immidieatly caught my eye!

FM12 I haven't been so much of a plug and play merchant, with me embracing a more tactical approach to the game, although I have used various tactics as soundboards and inspiration for projects I've been playing with - most notably the 3-3-3-1 possession tactic you put out a few months ago. I digress, fell out of love with the game a bit, but fancied having a little play around with the England side and see how I'd get on myself, seeing it's that time of year again!

So like I say, just fancied a play around, nothing serious, so downloaded the two tactics and got under way. Very, very impressed - was impressed with you work in the possession tactic you put out, and you've done an excellent job here! Only played a handful of games, as a line up for Euro 2012, but have found Andy Carroll to be suprisngly, or maybe not surprisingly effective in the center of the three forwards. In the first game, brought him on off the bench, for him to score two headers from crosses delivered from the full backs - and scored another couple in the other fixtures - with the two wider strikers excelling as a result of his work I've found. Tried to use winger/forwards in these positions, instead of say poachers/advanced forwards - with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Walcott featuring there.

Might use these tactics as a base to see if I can get something similar to work in a 4-4-2 shape after the Euros, but will depend on the longevity of this save, and if I'm bitten by the FM bug again. As I say, great work!

Took San Marino from C2 to Serie A consecutively lol amazing tactic!

Took over San Marino national team too haha will test it on them eventhough they are rubbish :p

Press or Stand Off tactic?

Wow never finished 1st with Feyenoord in first season, but with this tactic record after record. This is the best tactic I have ever used! I had a lot of injuries and had to put in u19 players but it didnt matter. We just kept on wining. Best result 5-0 against Ajax with the press tactic!

but have found Andy Carroll to be suprisngly, or maybe not surprisingly effective in the center of the three forwards. In the first game, brought him on off the bench, for him to score two headers from crosses delivered from the full backs

This is a big feature of the tactic. If you have midfielders that can 'see' the whole pitch, your fullbacks are often found in large amounts of space, free from markers - perfect crossing positions. I've scored many headed goals after a great delivery from either flank. Headed goals from the central striker, or one of the wide strikers arriving late just behind.

I know Arsenal aren't the hardest team to be but 30 games all competitions, 27 wins, 3 draws - the draws being 2-2 vs. AC Milan away (dominated game and had a goal disallowed), 0-0 QPR away (dominated game and played a reserve side) 2-2 vs. Chelsea away (pretty even game - last minute equaliser from Chelsea).

Using the 'Press tactic'

I've opted for Match Prep: High - Attacking Movement.

I believe my pitch size is minimum.

Also that record was done without Robin van Persie for most of the current campaign.

Only signings being: Cavani, Fellaini, Keita (on loan from Barca)

Cavani has been amazing in the middle of the three strikers although for whatever reason Chamakh does really well there too.

I tend to field my trio of midfielders with Fellaini in Defensive Midfield position, Song and Arteta in the centre midfield as I feel Song does well to cope with the pressing instruction as he has good stamina, workrate and teamwork.

The only thing that holds back this tactic is when I get the teamtalk wrong.

Great tactic, best I've used so far since Football Manager 2010.

Thank you Tactikzz

Amazing tactic.

I've adjusted the stand off version to create 4-5-1 & 4-4-2 versions.

Loving the principles of it & how the defensive shape is kept.

Let's hope it stays for FM 2013 bar any major match engine changes.

Had never considered converting my tactics to the classic versions.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.

I'm sure I will be looking at this for FM13 on the demo.

Amazing tactic.

I've adjusted the stand off version to create 4-5-1 & 4-4-2 versions.

Loving the principles of it & how the defensive shape is kept.

Let's hope it stays for FM 2013 bar any major match engine changes.

Had never considered converting my tactics to the classic versions.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.

I'm sure I will be looking at this for FM13 on the demo.

Let's hope the bugs that this tactic relies on and exploits are fixed :)

Alongside the hard coded "bugs" which give AI unfair advantage, okay? :)

The user can do everything the AI can. The user always has the advantage always. Wether you know how to use that correctly and in your favour though is a different story all together.

The user can do everything the AI can. The user always has the advantage always. Wether you know how to use that correctly and in your favour though is a different story all together.

I completely agree with this statement, The AI tactics can be remade in the Tactic Creator it's finding the Adjustments and settings for each tactic, I think that the AI set up the tactic a certain way like Man City Barcelona have certain tactics that they mainly use depending on the situation that they find themselves in, The 'game' then changes the tactic depending on the match situation from the shout instructions, I don't actually think that the AI change individual settings, I could be wrong though.

Alot of people use the Classic way like myself because it does exploit the Match Engine in certain scenarios, I often think to myself that I'd like to make a tactic in the T.C on how Barcelona and Man city play, Surely it can't be that hard because after all they use the T.C to create the tactics so why can't we.

If my team full of stars with sky-high morale and on a long winning streak loses to some bads with all around terrible stats and very low morale, I call that cheating. Complacency? Barcelona doesn't have to try to beat a League 2 team, does it? ~~ I mean yeah I was winning against much stronger teams myself, but not with a team full of literal **** with bottom low morale!

If my 19 finishing, 18 composure, 16 off the ball (also strong and pacey, god bless mutant regens) strikers fails to score for 90 minutes against a keeper whose highest stat is 12 despite having a LOT of chances, I call that cheating. Especially when said keeper also happens to perfectly clean up the game, despite being overall TERRIBLE. Because apparently my team with average 130 league goals scored per season has bad finishing capability, right? Right! The whole CCCs to goals scored is utter crap sometimes and the AI simply "defends" itself with... calling offsides all the time.

What else? Let's see.. Losing because a referee refused to end the match on time, even with added time (despite NO SETBACKS!) and let it drag for another 5 in game minutes.

Teams suddenly start beating you after january. Teams you used to easily beat before. Re-rank? With a team which is BY FAR the best in the league already? Give me a break. Although I do admit that this particular situation is less common than it appears, yet still happens.

Enough stuff to work on I hope?

And I've been playing this game for years, so its not like I just noticed all that you know... Well kudos for fixing the 424IWINLOLZ at least heh.

And the A.I. can't do whatever a user can? That argument works both ways you know. It's just that the preset tactics in the M.E. aren't really that smart, realistic or dynamic, and some of the TC settings are quite outdated. Which isn't really that horrible of course, but some more variety and dynamic changes would be welcome. I just hope S.I. decide it's time to sort out the many, many deficiencies of the ME in FM2013 instead of just putting in more useless gimicks and some database changes and price it like a "new" game.

I also find it highly questionable that you should choose to comment on ME "exploits" on just this thread, when there have obviously been so many, many others out there that do just that. You are entitled to your opnion of course, but I don't think it's a good idea, being a mod, to target a specific tactic that has already caused a fuss, and derail the conversation off-topic. In the end, your comment, if anything, is a testament to how effective this tactic can be - and a lot of people come to these forums looking for just that.

Let's hope the bugs that this tactic relies on and exploits are fixed :)

Yawn!!!

As I've said before, to beat a computer game you have to exploit it's weaknesses, or if you like 'flaws'. Whether or not you feel that other tactics (like your own) exploit the games flaws using more real life tactics, at the end of the day, it's the same thing, i.e trying to outwit a computer game. Is it really more realistic to beat the ME using real life scenarios, is the ME that clever that it can respond to the billions of permutations of real life scenarios? If it isn't (and it isn't) then you are still exploting a flaw, i.e the flaw being that the game is a game and not real life and can never be.

Do Sweden deserve credit for pumping high balls into the box from set pieces against England? When they identified this weakness in England's defence, should they not have 'exploited'' it?

Utter drivvle!!!

And the A.I. can't do whatever a user can? That argument works both ways you know. It's just that the preset tactics in the M.E. aren't really that smart, realistic or dynamic, and some of the TC settings are quite outdated. Which isn't really that horrible of course, but some more variety and dynamic changes would be welcome. I just hope S.I. decide it's time to sort out the many, many deficiencies of the ME in FM2013 instead of just putting in more useless gimicks and some database changes and price it like a "new" game.

I also find it highly questionable that you should choose to comment on ME "exploits" on just this thread, when there have obviously been so many, many others out there that do just that. You are entitled to your opnion of course, but I don't think it's a good idea, being a mod, to target a specific tactic that has already caused a fuss, and derail the conversation off-topic. In the end, your comment, if anything, is a testament to how effective this tactic can be - and a lot of people come to these forums looking for just that.

I've not only posted it in this thread though, You've assumed I have but I've put it in many more before this one so you are wrong to assume that. Plus I didn't target this thread, I was speaking about a specific comment a user made if you check the quote.....

And there is a new ME planned but whether that is FM13 might still be a bit too soon sadly :(

I've not only posted it in this thread though, You've assumed I have but I've put it in many more before this one so you are wrong to assume that. Plus I didn't target this thread, I was speaking about a specific comment a user made if you check the quote.....

And there is a new ME planned but whether that is FM13 might still be a bit too soon sadly :(

In that case I owe you an apology, I do read through many threads I find interesting but I had not seen any of the posts you mention. Enough with the offtopic from me then.

Just drew 2-2 with Leeds away still using Hurstpierpoint in the 2nd round of the FA Cup, I was 2-0 but always knew Leeds would pull it back, I'm a TINY team compared to them! Not bothered about losing as I'm never going to win the tourney, but the money income is amazing, and just the fact I didn't get my arse handed to me away from home was lovely.

portobayern.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?wwtw6ctng3ph56c

Firstly, good job and nice finding about embended man marking and opposite instruction.

I did some tweaks (specialy the shape) coz offensively it looks better in 4-2-3-1, but even if i didnt test it for too long, i was wondering if there is a way to get some stability defensively against big clubs?

I tried free roles on fullbacks to get the most of their placement intuition... but except pereira its quite ******:(

Some ideas behind this tactic are brilliant :thup: (wide strikers man-marking fullbacks for example), but without the corner exploit it would be a very different story.

Not really, no.

Hulk still managed to score over 100 goals as an outfield player in one season (subtracting corner goals).

Very much the same story.

Not really, no.

Hulk still managed to score over 100 goals as an outfield player in one season (subtracting corner goals).

Very much the same story.

You're wrong here mate, goals from corners are a huge boost for your team's morale and performances, key goals come from corners and help (mainly) your central striker's self-esteem; you know, great confidence make great results. ;)

The corner bug it's an exploit that alters the effectiveness of every tactic, good or bad.

Archived