Group D - Ukraine V Sweden - KO - 19:45

Djstu23

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 days into the championship and we're virtually knocked out. That's my enthusiasm for this gone.

And while we were **** and didn't deserve anything, I really have no idea what that ref was doing. If you add a MINIMUM of 3 minutes, and the team in the lead wastes more than two minutes of that (Play didn't start until past 92 mins) you gotta compensate for that. Not that we'd have scored, but we should've been given the chance to.

4 days into the championship and we're virtually knocked out. That's my enthusiasm for this gone.

And while we were **** and didn't deserve anything, I really have no idea what that ref was doing. If you add a MINIMUM of 3 minutes, and the team in the lead wastes more than two minutes of that (Play didn't start until past 92 mins) you gotta compensate for that. Not that we'd have scored, but we should've been given the chance to.

I was thinking that too, Was surprised the whistle went when it did.

Thought that was the best game so far, Russia have been the most impressive but this was more of a contest.

Really? I thought Ukraine was okay but no more while we (Sweden) were awful and deserved to lose. (It is a strong contender to be the worst championship game performance I've ever seen Sweden do.)

Shevchenko :cool: Classic! Voronin was quality too.

Andriy 2-1 Zlatan. YESS!! Think when Milan won the Champions League in 2003 would have been more of a highlight for Shevchenko than tonight but thats Hansen's opinion...

The best game of the first round.

Ukraine weren't great, but they used what they had as fully as possible. Husyev was constantly threatening. Tymoshchuk and Nazarenko were solid. Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka were effective. Shevchenko ROLLED THE YEARS BACK!

Sweden's backline wasn't good, especially Lustig and Martin Olsson. Sweden also missed a linker in the middle to bring the ball from the back to the front. Larsson and Toivonen weren't supportive enough in the flanks. You see that when Wilhelmsson came in. Ibrahimović was brilliant.

Thought Ukraine played very well, especially after going a goal down, making full use of their quality on the flanks and Husyev's bombing forward. The only unease about them was that their CBs had quite a tough time dealing with Ibra (but that's understandable as Ibra is a boss) and I'm not sold about Pyatov in goal. If they make it through their group, I can see them missing Shovkovskiy's presence in between the sticks.

And you've just been knocked off the top of the Prediction League. Unlucky Lathund :(

Sweden simply folded under pressure. Why Hamrén didn't start with Anders Svensson I don't know - he's the only midfielder we have that actually has the balls to be the playmaker, Källström and Elm spent the entire first half hiding from view. That forced the defenders to hoof it up to Zlatan and Rosenberg. Toivonen was crap and Lustig and Olsson showed that they really aren't good enough for this level.

I was (and still am) sure that both Sweden and Ukraine will qualify. Next games: Ukraine- France 1-1, England Sweden 1-2, Sweden-France 1-1, Ukraine-England 1-0.

Nevertheless, we will support Sweden (in our yellow-blue shirts :) ) in your games with England and France.

Really surprised at Sweden tonight, they're just buckling in the face of this home crowd and the intensity.

I'm not that surprised tbh, we probably have the worst left mid and right back in the competition and that doesn't cut it when faced with a Ukrainian team that is at its best down both flanks. But yes quite a lot of buckling under pressure was going on too. :(

Really? I thought Ukraine was okay but no more while we (Sweden) were awful and deserved to lose. (It is a strong contender to be the worst championship game performance I've ever seen Sweden do.)

Still some ways off the showing at Italia90, of course the 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 scoreline from that tournament could very possibly be repeated here. ;)

Still some ways off the showing at Italia90, of course the 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 scoreline from that tournament could very possibly be repeated here. ;)

Great minds think alike :D I was very close to mention our "fine" displays vs Scotland and Costa Rica as similar lacklustre performances.

Archived