FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

llama3, again, many thanks for your advice. Today I made a possibly big discovery. I've always asked for my assistant's opposition instructions and applied them before the match and at half time. Can anybody confirm my notion that opposition instructions should generally not be used for various reasons? First, if my aim is to assert my game plan over my opponent, overriding various players' marking, tackling, positioning and closing down is actually counter-productive and restricts their own movement and style of play. Second, learning a tactic would take longer since the tactic being prepared is never the one being actually employed in matches. So, my current plan is to make two well-balanced tactics (a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-5-1), use no opposition instructions and some touchline shouts when they are on. :)

Carmi88, with 10 games at hand (hopefully a game against ManU as well) statistically you still have every chance to claim the title. I'd be interested to read how it goes. Good luck!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the comments guys. I'm still gutted that with 30 appearances and a rating of 8.01 hazard didn't get in the team or get a player of the year mention. That is my challenge next year alongside defending every front ^^

Ok, here are some of the CA/PA changes I can see from the patch

Ramsey from -10 to 175 PA

Szczesny from -9 to 180 PA

Ox CA increase to 125

Coquelin CA increase to 123

Miquel CA increase to 98 (PA still -7)

Jenkinson CA increase to 105 (PA still -7)

Yennaris CA increase to 80 and PA increase to -7

I'm satisfied with the changes made in this update, although I still think certain youth players aren't rated correctly (Olsson and Gnabry, for example), so I'll be tinkering around with that. I'll be removing the injuries, as well. Cheating, I know, but I'll enjoy my save more this way.

Other than that, I'm looking to implementing all five of my formations on this new Arsenal save. :D

Just noticed that Rosicky's natural position is now MC and not AMC. Going to actually use him, for once.

Also noticed that Andre Santos has been tweaked and actually looks like he'll make a passable left back now.

Jenkinson looks like he'll turn into a decent backup rightback despite his low PA. 18 for stamina is brilliant.

Going to start an arsenal season as im an arsenal fan & the new update is out, Hoping to see the likes of coquelin, frimpong, chamberlain given a boost ratings wise, I like to do my arsenal seasons like wenger so you wont hear about me signing untolds amount of players but i might look to add 1 or 2

One thing I'll be doing is giving Koscielny a PPM which mirrors his tendency to break out of defence (see this post).

Maybe we can club together like last year and make a community Arsenal update?

What about me Carmi </3 :(

I missed you the most ;)

In a non loving, more wanting to read more arsenal updates kinda way

Szczesny does have a tendency to charge off his line, come out for difficult crosses and do Cruyff turns in the penalty area... I'd say he's a pretty eccentric keeper. Often I find in game it makes little difference.

I didn't mean I don't think he should have it, I ment I just hate Eccentric goalies. :( I can see myself not sticking with him for this reason..

Oh.. Are Chuks Aneke attributes random now? He looks hella different to 1.1! :eek: And why does Vermaelen only have 14 Strength? He's a monster... :(

High eccentricity Is only off putting for me as keepers seem to be extremely dim coming off their line, they come off and then change their mind when 2 steps away and then the striker gets the ball, worrying. However I won't be starting a new save for atleast today, but I will probably load It up and have a nosey around

Also I just smashed relegation threatened Spurs 5-0 :cool: 4 points off 199th placed crystal palace and it is looking bleak :D

For those interested in their young talent, take a look at Lazar Markovic. He's a 17 year old striker playing for Partizan Belgrade. Looks a very good prospect.

Also I just smashed relegation threatened Spurs 5-0 4 points off 199th placed crystal palace and it is looking bleak

Which year is this? Most long term saves I do have Spurs end up at the other end of the table, not down the bottom. :D

2028/29 season :) Liverpool and Spurs both narrowly missed relegation last season, however Liverpool have signed a few players and got back up to mid table, spurs however are going to go down unless they pull off a miracle

Saw a thread on Lazar Markovic on here a couple of days ago, looks pretty good I must say, and especially with the correct training should turn out pretty good. Just started my first ever Arsenal save of FM12, looking forward to it, very surprised how much transfer budget we have, definitely won't be spending it all, probably not even half, got my 3 formations set up as well.

Come on Arsenal!

4 games to go, I did play Man Utd and I beat them 3-1 however I'm adrift by 3 points and they have a superior goal difference. HOwever I'm into the FA cup Final and the Chmapions League Semi Final! Same stage as last season, hoping for more luck this time

Hi all,

I'm going to start a new save on the new patch with Arsenal...

I've been out of the loop for 2-3 months on here, can anyone point me in the direction of the best training schedules available for FM12?

Cheers :)

Properly away to start an Arsenal save on 12.2. Only changes are Celik and Wylde out from Rangers, Mama joined Fulham on Year long deal and Podolski Future Transfer to Arsenal (Led to believe its all but confirmed, set it to the figures BBC are quoting of £10.9M and 100k a week wages (Contract length has not been mentioned but I think a 4 year deal is to be expected)

I've set up the new 4-2-3-1 tactic and my first impressions from friendlies are good. There is certainly an element of control and the players are not hurried into shooting at goal. I didn't change much compared to the llama3's tactic but did some minor tweaks in player instructions and added my previously successful set pieces instructions to it.

Now I'm thinking about how to turn it into a successful 4-5-1. The purpose of this formation would be to provide a backup for my 4-2-3-1 tactic in difficult matches (away against top teams) where we might struggle to control the midfield. Here are the settings I would not change:

Balanced

Standard

Short Passing

Default Freedom

More Pressing

Default Tackling

Zonal Marking

Drill Crosses

More Roaming

GK - Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Wing Back - Auto

DC - Central Defender - Defend

DC - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Wing Back - Auto

DMC - ???

MCL - ???

MCR - ???

AMR - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Inside Forward - Attack

STC - Complete Forward - Attack

The first idea (I slightly prefer this) would be this:

DMC - Ball-winning Midfielder - Defend

MCL - Deep-lying Playmaker - Support

MCR - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

Song/Coquelin could play in the DMC position, Arteta/Rosicky(?) could take the MCL role and Wilshere/Ramsay could occupy the MCR spot.

Basically it might not be that good for holding the ball but longer balls to forwards from the Deep-lying Playmaker might be dangerous in these 'difficult' matches where this tactic would be used. Arteta/Rosicky would also cover for Song/Coquelin in case they go hunting for players to tackle and my midfield would not get overrun.

The second idea would be this:

DMC - Defensive Midfielder - Defend

MCL - Central Midfielder - Support

MCR - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

This would be quite similar to the way I play in the 4-2-3-1 case and probably better for possession.

How would you set up the midfield in a 4-5-1?

Final game of the season against 11th placed Liverpool, 1 point behind United. Who have to play 10th placed Stoke. Eliminated by Lyon 4-2 on agg :[ But recovered to win the FA cup 2-1 against Blackburn

Just started my Arsenal save, think I may buy a right back and a few youth players (LB, ST, DM). Don't want an amazing right, someone with BPL experience, who's better than Jenkinson but not as good as Sagna, my shortlist is:

Christophe Jallet (PSG) - £1.5m

Neal Eardley (Blackpool) - £4m

Emmerson Boyce (Wigan) - £1.5m

All receive 2* CA ratings, Jallet and Boyce get 2* PA ratings, while Eardley gets 2.5*. Jallet has no BPL experience, Eardley will cost the most, while Boyce is quite old.

Who would you poick?

good to see you back JEinchy and Llew

With the welcome that I've had from yourself and Carmi, I've decided that I am going to an Arsenal save! I'll probably make a Gladbach/Málaga save alongside it, but my Arsenal save will be the more important :D

Just tinkering with some aspects of the new patch. For example: I will be improving Miquel's PA to a level that I feel is acceptable :thup:

Suggy - Personally, I would move for Christophe Jallet. Was very reliable on my old Paris Saint-Germain save. Can get up and down the right flank well, and at £1.5 million, he's a steal.

Just finished the first month at Arsenal with the latest patch gone pretty well so far! I would have liked to have spent less on transfers but I felt if I pushed in the investment front first season then the title was there for the taking.

Transfers In:

Iker Muniain- £21M

Martin Olsson- £6.75M (I just don't see Andre Santos as a LB in this game despite the patch I think he is better in real life)

Sime Vrsaljko- £1M (Absolute steal even cheaper than last patch)

Willian- £11M

Andile Jali- £170k (Versatile backup)

Out:

Some youths released

Fixtures:

Premier League- Arsenal 5-1 Swansea (Willian 4, Van Persie) (Sinclair)

Champions League- Arsenal 7-0 Standard Liege (Muniain, Ox, Van Persie 2, Koscielny 2, Gervinho)

Premier League- Wigan 1-2 Arsenal (Di Santo) (Koscielny, Muniain)

Champions League- Standard 2-1 Arsenal (Tchite, Pocognoli) (Van Persie)

Premier League- Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea (Van Persie, Ramsay) (Lampard)

So far so good, unfortunately Van Persie picked up a knock on international duty and will miss a bit of September, rested him until the final 10 against Liege strikeforce just looks so blunt without him.

I had a good experience with Eardley on my last save. Did a solid job as a defender and chipped in with plenty of assists and goals due to his set-piece prowess.

I've finally manage to get through pre-season and have just finished the first month of the season. As I said last night, I'll be using five formations throughout this save. Whilst playing as Espanyol (And you can read about that by locating the Move aside, Barcelona (version 2) thread in the Career Updates forum /shameless plug), I had great success using several formations to counter the opposition. This also allows me to have a more diverse squad of players, as I'm not just buying for one formation and I need players who can play in several roles to make all the formations work.

These formations are:

4-4-2: Simple, direct football with two deep-lying central midfielders, two pacey widemen and a DLF and Poacher combo up front. Will use against other 4-4-2 formations and 4-3-3. I've found some success against a 4-3-3 with this, strangely...

4-2-3-1: Similar principles, just with an attacking midfielder instead of a DLF. This will by my stock formation, as I feel it's the one that suits my current squad the best. Dropping both midfielders into the DM slots also makes it an effective counter measure against narrow formations, such as the one Man City tend to play.

4-3-3: A pretty traditional 4-3-3 with one player sitting in midfield, one acting as a go-between and one joining the attack. Useful against 4-2-3-1 and 3-man defences.

4-3-1-2: My "overload the middle" tactic. I use this when I feel I need to mix it up.

5-3-2: Essientially my "park the bus" tactic.

I wasn't too active in the transfer market despite the enticingly large transfer budget. I looked at several players, but decided to go with what I already had with a couple of enhancements:

INS:

Nene - Loan from PSG (£2.2 mil fee). While I was searching through the transfer list for any bargains, the first name that jumped out to me was Nene. For some reason, he was deemed surplus by PSG. His age and wages put me off from signing him on a permanent deal, but on loan I feel he is a fantastic acquisition. Nene offers that ability to create from the wing, which is something this squad doesn't really have.

Adam Campbell - £1.5mil compensation from Newcastle. A young striker with blistering pace to bolster my reserve/youth ranks. Will be interesting to see how well he develops.

Lazar Markovic - Loan from Partizan. He can't join us until he's 18, but an agreement is in place for him to join us on loan next season. He wasn't too keen a permanent move, so hopefully the loan will help change his mind.

OUTS:

Marouane Chamakh - £8mil to Benfica. Not the sort of striker I need. Got some good money for him, too, albeit it'll be paid over 30 months.

Abou Diaby - £6.5mil to Benfica. I know he's a good player, but I've a dislike for players with low mental stats. Like the Chamakh deal, the money will be paid over 30 months.

We've gotten off to a very good start, results wise:

[Premier League] Newcaslte 1 - 3 Arsenal (Cabaye 86'; Nene 28', van Persie 71', Wilshere 89')

[Champions League Play-off 1st Leg] Arsenal 6 - 0 Standard (Gervinho 28', Walcott 32', 46', Nene 67', Vermaelen 80', Koscielny 90+1')

[Premier League] Arsenal 3 - 0 Wigan (Gervinho 31', Mertesacker 63', Boyce OG 83')

[Champions League Play-off 2nd Leg] Standard 0 - 2 Arsenal (Walcott 55', Nene 69')

[Premier League] Wolves 0 - 1 Arsenal (van Persie 44')

Performances have been mixed, and it seems the players are struggling to motivate themselves to play for me. That's what I get for starting out with Proessional Footballer reputation... I'm sure if we keep winning, though, that'll change.

Our Champions League group is Udinese, Zenit and FC Kobenhavn. I'm pretty happy with that.

Just got my save up and running :thup:

Very surprised with the transfer budget that I have been given. I've decided to set 'Qualification for the UEFA Champions League' as my minimum objective, therefore I will have to try and keep RVP fit. Looking forward to it now :D

Hey dude, how did you set that as your season objective? My only options are 'Title Challenge' & 'Winner' and I would definitely go for the same option as you as I think that's a lot more realistic.

Hey dude, how did you set that as your season objective? My only options are 'Title Challenge' & 'Winner' and I would definitely go for the same option as you as I think that's a lot more realistic.

I'm guessing you havn't realised that the lastest patch, 12.2.0, was released yesterday. It's lowered the boards expectations to a more reasonable level. I could've chosen UEFA Europa League qualification as my season objective, but I consider that somewhat of a step down and completely against the club's intentions.

In case you don't know, the new patch will only be implemented once you begin a New Save. Once you've created a save, you will notice that the January Transfers have been included, some players, for example Oxlade-Chamberlain, have been boosted and I think there might be some alterations to the game's match engine :thup:

Will be starting a fresh save after missing out on the premier League title In my current save, I'll be going into the editor first and taking away the injuries, adding Podolski as a future transfer and popping Thierry Henry back on loan.

I strongly doubt I will last long on this save but atleast I have another save to go back to, hoping for the best :D And I'll be setting the teams target as challenge for title, because we should always be doing that! :mad:

I'm guessing you havn't realised that the lastest patch, 12.2.0, was released yesterday. It's lowered the boards expectations to a more reasonable level. I could've chosen UEFA Europa League qualification as my season objective, but I consider that somewhat of a step down and completely against the club's intentions.

In case you don't know, the new patch will only be implemented once you begin a New Save. Once you've created a save, you will notice that the January Transfers have been included, some players, for example Oxlade-Chamberlain, have been boosted and I think there might be some alterations to the game's match engine :thup:

Yeah man I'm on that very patch (new save with all the new transfers etc) but still only given the 2 options, that is odd?! I put my rep as 'Professional' do you think that might make a difference?

Yeah man I'm on that very patch (new save with all the new transfers etc) but still only given the 2 options, that is odd?! I put my rep as 'Professional' do you think that might make a difference?

It might do. My managerial reputation is the lowest one (can't remember the game), so maybe that does play a part in the season's objectives :thup:

It might do. My managerial reputation is the lowest one (can't remember the game), so maybe that does play a part in the season's objectives :thup:

It's not the Rep, I have mine set to Professional and I have the 4 options to start out with.

It's not the Rep, I have mine set to Professional and I have the 4 options to start out with.

Hmm, interesting.. I've just tried starting a new save as a 'Sunday League' & then 'Semi Pro' and it's only given me the 2 options both times. What else could it be?

Thanks for your help guys.

Hmm, interesting.. I've just tried starting a new save as a 'Sunday League' & then 'Semi Pro' and it's only given me the 2 options both times. What else could it be?

Thanks for your help guys.

The best option for you would to start a new save. If the problem persists, I would it in another forum in here. Possibly the 'General Discussion' forum where people may direct you to the right place or offer a solution :thup:

Archived