FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

Just a quick question, obviously looking to play possesion football like the Arsenal way, just sorting out all of my formations, I have around 5, main one is going to be a 4-1-2-2-1.

DM - Support

CM - Support

CM - AP Attack

And for the attack, with RvP the lone striker do you think a Trequartista would work with AML and AMR set to Inside Forwards.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started my new save :thup: Trying to flog Chamakh, Diaby and Fabianski but no takers so far

Transfers: In - Hazard £29,500,000 + 30% of next sale

Ayew - £14,000,000 + 20% of next sale

Transfers Out - Almunia - £2,000,000

Aneke - Loan

Afobe - Loan

Moussa Dembélé has just been offered to me by Fulham. Initially, they wanted £9.5 million, but I decided to abort from the deal as I do have other targets in mind. Dembélé cited a 'need to play his football at a higher level' as his reason to exit Fulham.

I would've gone for him, but I do have other targets in mind. He's a player I admire though and someone who'd fit into my system very well.

gooner4ever - use midfield combo 2 - don't use a DLP if you want to play possession football

Thanks! In my main (4-2-3-1) tactic, setting all players' long shots to rarely and GK distribution to 'defender collect' seemed to help a lot. The only player on hard tackling is Song/Coquelin, others have it on normal. I haven't played many matches but it's not uncommon to have 66% of possession and 25+ chances most of which are now on target (no longer long shots).

I've set relatively low expectations (I think it was merely Europa League). Of course I want to provide a genuine title challenge deep in my heart, just less pressure that way. :p

Just started an Arsenal save on 12.2

Got an offer from Man City, £20M for Sagna... take it or leave it?

I have no idea how good he is on the game having no previous experience with him, could I get a better replacement for cheaper?

Just started an Arsenal save on 12.2

Got an offer from Man City, £20M for Sagna... take it or leave it?

I have no idea how good he is on the game having no previous experience with him, could I get a better replacement for cheaper?

No you couldn't. Sime Vrsaljko is cheap though, but it will take couple years to get him better than Sagna.

I'm not one for spending big money, but I'm tempted to go for Iker Muniain, can play AML, so can rotate with players like Theo, Gervinho and The Ox, and also looking for a striker and so will re-train him to play up front, I am tempted but I don't know whether to go for it or not, also looking at Paco Alcacer and Alvaro Morata for Striking options.

somebody was watchig the Man Utd game... ;)

Wait....Man Utd were playing tonight? Probably just because I'm not used to them playing on a Thursday ;) Nah, I think he is a class player, not managed him this year but had a cracking Bilbao save on FM11

what do you guys play Van Persie as im struggling to get him scoring on a regular basis?

Personally, I play him as an 'Advanced Forward > Attack' as it allows him to use his creativity, but doesn't forget about the important side of his game which is scoring goals.

NB: I've found from experience that if you set his wide play as 'Move into Channels', it completely takes him out of position thus reducing his chances of scoring goals. Give him a wide play setting of 'Normal' and he should work well.

Keep us updated on how he does, mate :thup:

Personally, I play him as an 'Advanced Forward > Attack' as it allows him to use his creativity, but doesn't forget about the important side of his game which is scoring goals.

NB: I've found from experience that if you set his wide play as 'Move into Channels', it completely takes him out of position thus reducing his chances of scoring goals. Give him a wide play setting of 'Normal' and he should work well.

Keep us updated on how he does, mate :thup:

Seems to have worked so far he managed to score on a cold, wet Monday night at Blackburn

Just a quick question, obviously looking to play possesion football like the Arsenal way, just sorting out all of my formations, I have around 5, main one is going to be a 4-1-2-2-1.

DM - Support

CM - Support

CM - AP Attack

And for the attack, with RvP the lone striker do you think a Trequartista would work with AML and AMR set to Inside Forwards.

yes - good set up

Yeah, I noticed that. I got rid of Wilshere's injury and started a game up, only to realise that Vermaelen was in the reserves with a four month injury. Annoying, since I had to go into the editor, get rid of it, then start up a new game again and we all know how long that can take. :mad:

Anyway, might be a bit late to the party but whatever you do, do not sell Sagna. £20mil is tempting but you don't actually need the money and you will not be able to find a right back who's better for anything less. Off the top of my head, only Phillp Lahm, Daniel Alves, Sergio Ramos and possibly Maicon are better than Sagna. Sagna is also a great tutor to have for your young players. I relly cannot rate the guy high enough.

On Iker Muniain: yes, £21mil is a great price for him. On my Espanyol game, he's an absolute monster for Bilbao about six seasons in and would cost me about £35mil to buy. I noticed that for this patch, his finishing has gone down slightly but his dribbling has been bumped up. Well worth buying now before that price sky rockets.

As for van Persie, I've had success using him as a deep-lying forward alongside a poacher or as a loan trequartista. Gets the best out his goalscoring ability and creativity.

OK after sorting out the injuries etc. Now my save is rolling!

Transfers In - Hazard - 29 million

Cissokho - 14 million

Jallet - loan

Transfers Out - Almunia - 2m

Chamakh - 5.25m

Squillaci - loan

Ozyakup - loan

Yennaris - Loan

Diaby - loan

Afobe - loan

Aneke - loan

Is Oxlade-Chamberlain much better after the 12.2 update?
is hazard really that good, that everyone is buying him?

Hows Chamberlain from the new patch(havent started it yet, but i think in the evning today will start a new save).

Hazard really is that good, but I think a lot of us won't buy him because we like to try out different players, and on Chamberlain, looks like a few of his stats have been boosted, and is also having a pretty good pre-season for me. On another note, still thinking about the Muniain deal, release clause of 21million, but I'm not one for spending that much on one player.

impressed with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - a few minor rises, but great increase in his determination is very helpful. Carl Jenkinson's stamina, work rate and crossing have all been massively improved which is great news.

Pre-season Update - 2011/2012

So, started a save last night and as I couldn't sleep, decided to get pre-season over and done with!

Transfers

Transfer In

Iker Muniain - Athletic - £21 million (Release clause) - I have been an admirer of his ever since I saw him a few years back in an under-16's tournament that was on TV, and as I have never actually used him properly I thought I would give him a try!

Hugo Mallo - Celta - £1.6 million - I needed a RB to cover Sagna, and as I feel Jenkison isn't good enough, I went and got him! Scout says he has decent potential, and he was cheap, so what isn't to like about the deal!?

Alexandre Lacazette - Lyon - £7 million - Looks a great young player, even though a little expensive, hoping he can become a good EPL player.

Transfer Out

Manuel Almunia - Espanyol - £2.5 million - Simply put, not good enough. Got a decent offer, so off he went!

Marouane Chamakh - Benfica - £8.5 million - Arsenal can't get rid off him soon enough, waste of wages IMHO!

Loans

Benik Afobe - Scunthorpe

Chuks Aneke - Southend

Nico Yennaris - Northampton

Tactics

My main tactic is going to be the good old 4-5-1, what else huh? The set up looks like this:

tacts.png

For the harder games, I will be playing a deeper version of this formation, with 1 MC and 2 DM's but the majority of the time will be the above tactic!

Pre-Season fixtures

Rapid Wien 0-6 Arsenal

Walcott(4), van Persie, Alex Song

Seattle 0-2 Arsenal

André Santos, Murphy OG

River Plate 1-3 Arsenal

Andrada - Gibbs, Arteta, van Persie

Colorado 1-3 Arsenal

Sykes - Wilshere, Chamberlain, Muniain

Club Africain 0-8 Arsenal

van Persie(5), Koscielny, Wilshere, Gervinho

I got a nice surprise from this game when this happened: Ouchies...

Dandy Town Hornets 0-9 Arsenal

van Persie(5), Gervinho(3), Vermaelen

Only played this because of the team name! :D

Season Targets

League - Finish in the top 4.

Champions League - Quarter Finals

FA Cup - Semi Final

Carlin Cup - Blood in some youth/fringe players, not really concerned about this. Hopefully I can get to the Final, at the very least the Semi's!

August Update:

Matches

Everton H - 3-0 Win - Theo Walcott 22, 69 Eden Hazard 81

Zurich H - 7-0 Win - AOC 2, Gervinho 6 81, Vermaelen 12, RVP 17, Thierry Henry 72 90.

Norwich A - 3-2 Win Vermaelen 33, RVP 38, Arteta 93

Zurich A - 2-2 Draw Wilshere 1, RVP 59*Pen*

Blackburn H - 3-0 Win RVP hattrick - 8 50 57

Carlin Cup 3rd round draw pits me against Spurs

Champions League group draw has me against Marseille, Bayer Leverkusen and Viktoria Plzen

Two weeks into the season and my squad is already on its last legs. Van Persie, Walcott, Gervinho, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Benayoun, and Coquelin are all injured, in addition to Wilshere, Vermaelen, and Diaby, who are out at the start of the game.

Regretting the decision not to allow first window transfer budgets.

Two weeks into the season and my squad is already on its last legs. Van Persie, Walcott, Gervinho, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Benayoun, and Coquelin are all injured, in addition to Wilshere, Vermaelen, and Diaby, who are out at the start of the game.

Regretting the decision not to allow first window transfer budgets.

Pleased it is not just me the game hates regarding injuries then :) but seriously thats a damn good team your missing there

i just can't get van persie to score much. i have played half a season and decided to sell him. strikers without pace are useless in fm nowadays.

in fact, half the team will be sold when the season is over. gibbs just has horrible defensive stats, mertesacker is too slow and is causing a lot of goals against.

i just can't get van persie to score much. i have played half a season and decided to sell him. strikers without pace are useless in fm nowadays.

in fact, half the team will be sold when the season is over. gibbs just has horrible defensive stats, mertesacker is too slow and is causing a lot of goals against.

you are clearly playing a game highly reliant on pace - or making mistakes that cause your team to need pace. i don't have any problems at all regarding pace and van Persie. In fact if you cannot get van Persie to score you must be doing something wrong mate - whats your team set-up like? what style do you want to play? we might be able to help you

started a new game as the patch seems to have rectified the morale issue!

i wanted to try players i havn't bought before so i picked title challenge and got a hefty 53 million to spend!

i bought in vertonghen as vermaelen is injured for ages and he can play in a few spots, he cost 10 million

in real life we desperately need a playmaker as ramsey isn't ready yet, willian looked good and i got a 12 million bid accepted (half over 48 months)

i wanted to offload rosicky and always liked ayew at marseille who is versatile and has impressive work ethic, speed, technique and team work! i managed to swap rosicky for him and paid about 8 million....what a bargain!

i saw jallet recomended in this thread as a backup rb, managed to buy him for 1.9 million as jenkinson probably won't ever be good enough! :(

my final forray was a loan deal for keita, 560k and 50% of his wages

i am playing a 4 2 2 2/4 2 3 1/4 1 2 2 1 atm and have done well in most friendlies, willian, keita and ayew have settled in very quickly and i cannot recomend them highly enough! speed, strength, work ethic.....beautiful! looking forward to playing utd in my first game away in the prem!

i use rvp as a lone striker trequarista, like real life and set his movement to normal instead of moves to channels and he bangs them in! very pleased with my squad, although i worry chezza's 15 for eccentricity is too high!

my strongest side looks like this

............................rvp

ayew.....................willian.........gervinho

...................song......keita/arteta

santos........koscielny...vertonghen.......sagna

.............................chezza

not a bad team to be fair! hopefully i can recreate my first fm12 game where i won the treble!

Finished August, signed Keita on loan, Diego Perotti for £9.5m, Sime Vrasjaklo £1.2m, Jan Vertonghen £5.5m (he got unsettled)

Got through Champions League Qualifying stages against Panathinikos 6-1. Got a good group in AC (time for revenge), Kopenhagen and Dortmund. Long term targets include Gotze and Hazard.

In the Prem played 3 won 2 lost 1. Beat United 4-1 first game, lost to Stoke 1-0 and beat Wolves 3-0.

2011/2012 - September Update

Results

10th September 2011 - Premier League

Arsenal 2 - 1 Everton (Laurent Koscielny 15', Theo Walcott 45+2'; Jack Rodwell 90+1')

A game we complete dominated and deservedly won. Everton's goal came from some flukey shot from Rodwell. Those sort of goals really do annoy me.

14th September 2011 - Champions League Group Stage Round 1

Udinese 0 - 1 Arsenal (Aaron Ramsey 5')

A tough game that, on another day, could have easily ended in Udinese's favour. We were fortunate enough that they weren't particularly sharp in front of goal. Still, a decent start to the group stages.

17th September 2011 - Premier League

Manchester City 0 - 1 Arsenal (Laurent Koscielny 22')

Probably the most irratatingly difficult fixture I've ever had to face on this game. City's formation just allows them to keep ridiculous amount of control over the game and with the qaulity they have in their side they can fashion chances only at will. This was a smash and grab win, where we were barely able to keep City at bay and managed to steal one from a set-piece.

20th September 2011 - Carling Cup Round 3

Middelsbrough 1 - 3 Arsenal (Ogbeche 68'; Nene 15', Park Chu-Young 24', Per Mertesacker 65')

An easy game where Chu-Young and Mertesacker got their first goals for the club. Boro's consolation happened to come from a long-range screamer... I hope this isn't becoming a habit of sorts.

24th September 2011 - Premier League

Arsenal 4 - 2 Chelsea (Laurent Koscielny 19', Mikel Arteta 21', Jose Bosingwa OG 42', Nene 49'; Florent Malouda 45', 89')

Happy we controlled the game from start to finish and got a much deserved win, unhappy that we conceded two sloppy goals. Walcott ran riot on the flanks and picked up three assists, as Chelsea struggled to track the runs my players made from deep.

27th September 2011 - Champions League Group Stage Round 2

Arsenal 1 - 0 Zenit (Theo Walcott 37')

Another closely contested European game. We didn't create much and were wasteful with what we did make. Thankfully, Walcott continued his good form and bagged us the winner.

Form Guide

Premier League - WWWWWW (6)

Champions League - WWWW (4)

Carling Cup - W (1)

Top Goalscorers

Theo Walcott - 5

Nene - 5

Laurent Koscielny - 4

Per Mertesacker - 2

Gervinho - 2

Robin van Persie - 2

Assists

Nene - 5

Theo Walcott - 4

Robin van Persie - 4

Jack Wilshere - 2

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - 2

you are clearly playing a game highly reliant on pace - or making mistakes that cause your team to need pace. i don't have any problems at all regarding pace and van Persie. In fact if you cannot get van Persie to score you must be doing something wrong mate - whats your team set-up like? what style do you want to play? we might be able to help you

I second to that. In fact I used to be in a similar situation when I was testing my very attacking 4-2-4 tactics. I struggled to find a role for RvP alongside a Poacher. Tried Trequartista - Attack, Complete Forward - Support, Deep-lying Forward - Support but all to often he was just out of the game. It can be quite frustrating to play half a season to discover you've got it wrong. Then I usually recoved with another very attacking tactic and said to myself, "Finally I have a decent tactic, I'll just start all over again and win something". Bang, another half a season gone and again not satisfied. After quite a number of these failed attempts I even had RvP stripped of captaincy. Then I realized it's me, not a half of my team who's got it wrong. It's essential to find some sort of balance in your game. I'm still experimenting myself but the overall structure seems to be up and working mainly thanks to the advice I got from you guys. So, it might be a good idea to take a more balanced approach. ;)

Just to inform you guys, I'm having to make a new save. I forgot to delete a certain file which allow a certain national team to work correctly.

Having to go through pre-season all over again :thdn:

I restarted my game 3 times because of that :D Can't believe how stupid I was after the 2nd attempt and deleting the wrong stuff xD

Archived