Finally think its tme i hung up my FM boots...

if i did create a brilliant tactic i wouldnt know as i refuse to sit there and do press conferences/interact with players, So for me is there really any point if im not willing to take on this part of the game?

A brilliant tactic? That doesn't exist. A logical tactical set that suits your playing squad and gets the best out of them. That is what you should be aiming at.

You can do extremely well at FM by excelling at tactical or squad management (dafuge being a prime example of the latter). Given you don't want to do the squad / man based stuff, you are going to have to be really good with tactics. However, you don't seem very sure of what you are trying to do. I appreciate you read my stuff, but I'd never play a Counter system with both FBs on Defend and both FCs on Attack. It just won't open up the kind of angles you need to break down the opposition.

You have to have a handle on one element of FM to succeed. I don't think you do, which is why you are getting so frustrated.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A brilliant tactic? That doesn't exist. A logical tactical set that suits your playing squad and gets the best out of them. That is what you should be aiming at.

You can do extremely well at FM by excelling at tactical or squad management (dafuge being a prime example of the latter). Given you don't want to do the squad / man based stuff, you are going to have to be really good with tactics. However, you don't seem very sure of what you are trying to do. I appreciate you read my stuff, but I'd never play a Counter system with both FBs on Defend and both FCs on Attack. It just won't open up the kind of angles you need to break down the opposition.

You have to have a handle on one element of FM to succeed. I don't think you do, which is why you are getting so frustrated.

Please stop referencing to my Burnley save :p, Id not usually have my FBs on defend not both my FCs on attack, I did just explain that is usually either have my FBs on support or Auto, And i usually deploy a 4-5-1/4-3-3 ie 1 striker usually either deep forward or poacher depending on the striker i have, Im not going to sit here and say im great at tactics, Because im obviously not, But id also like to think ive not only read enough on these forums and watched enough RL/ and virtual games to understand what id like to do, I do listen what people like yourselves say as i feel you and others have put an extreme amount of time/effort into the game, But when i take all those theories and such and try and implement them, It doesnt work, Maybe i am just thinking i should overachieve all the time, Or maybe the fact i refuse to take part in media management/player interactions keeps me from doing what i want to succeed.

By the looks at some of the posts on here, and your responses, rather than post in a forum to grab attention for yourself, just go play another game??

You ARE obviously disastrous at playing FM2011, finish all your homework, and play Counter Strike, or Call of Duty or something.

By the looks at some of the posts on here, and your responses, rather than post in a forum to grab attention for yourself, just go play another game??

You ARE obviously disastrous at playing FM2011, finish all your homework, and play Counter Strike, or Call of Duty or something.

Well a) Homework at 28 would be a bit of a suprise to me, And b) if you have nothing constructive to say, Dont say at all :)

Well a) Homework at 28 would be a bit of a suprise to me, And b) if you have nothing constructive to say, Dont say at all :)

A) Why would a 28 year old, cry and rage quit after 3 games of a Football Management Simulation and decided to post it over a world wide forum embarrassing yourself??

B) What I stated was Constructive criticism and has meaning to the degree of advise leading a recomendation to put down the rope and play another game you MAY be good at.

It does kinda seem that you want a much simpler game with less depth Roady99, the days of being able to press continue constantly without doing anything else have long since gone im afraid. Maybe the handheld version would be more up your street, or like i said previously you could go back to an older version you used to enjoy.

A) Why would a 28 year old, cry and rage quit after 3 games of a Football Management Simulation and decided to post it over a world wide forum embarrassing yourself??

B) What I stated was Constructive criticism and has meaning to the degree of advise leading a recomendation to put down the rope and play another game you MAY be good at.

And this is exactly why i dont post on these forums, People jump on your back saying dont bother or take the p***, Seriously anyone at any age is capable of getting annoyed and frustrated at a game regardless of age, I dont see it as embarrassing in the slightest, I know of many many FMers that have been playing the game much longer than myself and they are at the same point as me, I play this game because i enjoy football management, I just feel for casual players like myself we are being pushed away from the game for people that want to spend hours devolping tactics,team talks, press conferences, I dont see why people have to jump on someones back because they feel the game isnt what is used to be, So i had a rant, I didnt slate the game, I have said countless times i love the game, Just dont enjoy the amount of time and effort i need to give it in order to ENJOY it, Telling me to go play another game is not exactly helping the fact im struggling with this.

Well I'm 30 at I've had plenty of "homework".. some of us stay in school for AGES! ;)

otherwise, I agree..

So, I have decided that i finally may have to say fairwell to FM as tbh, I just dont get it anymore and its not "Fun" like it used to be (For me in my own opinion), For the past 2 versions of FM i have struggled COMPLETELY on the tatics front, Now i may just be useless but i remember the days when i could make my own semi decent tatic that i could use all the time and actually ENJOY the game, Now im constantly left scratching my head thinking, "How the hell can i actually win something", For the past 2 versions i have failed to win any, Yes you read correct, ANYTHING. (Without cheating), And to be quite frank, I dont want to have to cheat as i dont get any satisfaction out of the game, Yes i know we all want realism and we all want a challenge, But when it comes to the fact i can win a game 6-0 at home and dominate completely, I dont expect to play the next game away and get completely overrun to the fact im actually angry at a game :|, Ive said before i think this game has gone TOO indepth with all its effects that can make your team go from world beaters to sunday league in a matter of a game. Sorry just had to rant. :(

Create a career savegame with FM 2012. I have had so many motivational problems with FM the past years, but now with the add/remove league feature it can save you a whole lot of time. :D

And this is exactly why i dont post on these forums, People jump on your back saying dont bother or take the p***, Seriously anyone at any age is capable of getting annoyed and frustrated at a game regardless of age, I dont see it as embarrassing in the slightest, I know of many many FMers that have been playing the game much longer than myself and they are at the same point as me, I play this game because i enjoy football management, I just feel for casual players like myself we are being pushed away from the game for people that want to spend hours devolping tactics,team talks, press conferences, I dont see why people have to jump on someones back because they feel the game isnt what is used to be, So i had a rant, I didnt slate the game, I have said countless times i love the game, Just dont enjoy the amount of time and effort i need to give it in order to ENJOY it, Telling me to go play another game is not exactly helping the fact im struggling with this.

Let me just point out, that you said you weren't going to buy FM2012. Now you've changed your mind and say you LOVE the game. Winning 6-0 one game then losing the next is more realistic then winning every game in a season?? So what you actually say you want to happen within the game is basically cruise on auto mode and win everything with ease?? In my opinion there is no enjoyment in that, surely having a challenge and working on that challenge through-out the season to improve yourself is more "fun"!

But in my opinion, I think the only reason why you posted a rage topic is to look for sympathy and attention like a little kid does when they don’t get there own way.

If you need help or advise on how to either develop your own tactics, or need to use other peoples tactics then fair enough, some people like myself haven't got the time/in depth knowledge to create the perfect tactic. I do however have the time to study someone else's tactic/tactics and use it to my teams strengths. You lost a game in 3 matches, rage quit, and came on this forum to post a topic about it. Why?? Where is the need for that?

And you've even said it yourself, you've struggled to compete and get your head around the tactics system et'al on the past few FM games, so surely common sense prevails, if you struggle with the game either don’t play it and find a game you do enjoy, or learn more about the struggling aspect and see if you can improve on yourself??

Again, this is constructive criticism.

Let me just point out, that you said you weren't going to buy FM2012. Now you've changed your mind and say you LOVE the game. Winning 6-0 one game then losing the next is more realistic then winning every game in a season?? So what you actually say you want to happen within the game is basically cruise on auto mode and win everything with ease?? In my opinion there is no enjoyment in that, surely having a challenge and working on that challenge through-out the season to improve yourself is more "fun"!

But in my opinion, I think the only reason why you posted a rage topic is to look for sympathy and attention like a little kid does when they don’t get there own way.

If you need help or advise on how to either develop your own tactics, or need to use other peoples tactics then fair enough, some people like myself haven't got the time/in depth knowledge to create the perfect tactic. I do however have the time to study someone else's tactic/tactics and use it to my teams strengths. You lost a game in 3 matches, rage quit, and came on this forum to post a topic about it. Why?? Where is the need for that?

And you've even said it yourself, you've struggled to compete and get your head around the tactics system et'al on the past few FM games, so surely common sense prevails, if you struggle with the game either don’t play it and find a game you do enjoy, or learn more about the struggling aspect and see if you can improve on yourself??

Again, this is constructive criticism.

I let me get this straight, Because quite frankly this is becoming a bashing for no reason what so ever, I did not *Ragequit* because of that one game, I *Ragequit* because over the space of nearly a year i cant acheive anything, Regardless of tatics, I then lost all motivation to play the game, Hence the *Ragequit* in the current game, I see no point in posting if you are CLEARLY not looking at the posts and only picking out what you want to see, I did say i probably wouldnt get FM12, But then in a post on this same thread i also admitted that i probably couldnt resist getting it anyway, And im not bashing the game, I have always stated i LOVE the game, Seriously get out of your own A*** and read before you try and become clever on a forum, Im allowed to vent just like anyone else, And my main point was that i felt casual gamers like MYSELF where being pushed aside, Fair enough if you dont agree say so, But dont sit on your computer bashing me because you dont, Im not seeking attention as if i was then 90% of the threads on here are doing the same, Im putting across an opinion im not attacking anyone, So why should you do so? You dont agree with my points fair enough do it constructivly (Y)

Roady for the tactics to have good movement I have a few suggestions:

1 - play 4-4-2 - once you get that nailed the rest is easier

2 - have a defensive minded central midfielder and then a support/attack minded one

3 - have a striker on an attacking role (best off with advanced forward/poacher) and a support role (target man or deep-lying forward)

4 - have central defenders on either defend-defend or stopper-cover and full backs on automatic

5 - if your wide-men are quick use wingers, if they are slow use wide midfielders

use the shouts for variation i.e. get the ball forward in bad conditions or when short passing doesn't work, etc

I let me get this straight, Because quite frankly this is becoming a bashing for no reason what so ever, I did not *Ragequit* because of that one game, I *Ragequit* because over the space of nearly a year i cant acheive anything, Regardless of tatics, I then lost all motivation to play the game, Hence the *Ragequit* in the current game, I see no point in posting if you are CLEARLY not looking at the posts and only picking out what you want to see, I did say i probably wouldnt get FM12, But then in a post on this same thread i also admitted that i probably couldnt resist getting it anyway, And im not bashing the game, I have always stated i LOVE the game, Seriously get out of your own A*** and read before you try and become clever on a forum, Im allowed to vent just like anyone else, And my main point was that i felt casual gamers like MYSELF where being pushed aside, Fair enough if you dont agree say so, But dont sit on your computer bashing me because you dont, Im not seeking attention as if i was then 90% of the threads on here are doing the same, Im putting across an opinion im not attacking anyone, So why should you do so? You dont agree with my points fair enough do it constructivly (Y)

This is why the internet needs parental control and you need to play a different game..

You don’t fully understand the term "Constructive Criticism", hence why you feel the need to explain your own ignorance. You obviously lack the level of intelligence to "get things right" or "achieve anything" in the newer versions of FM. Is this a bad thing? No! You are just completely useless at this game. People have suggested to venture into the earlier "easier" versions. Rather than blame the game for your lack of skill within the frame of game, blame yourself for being completely disastrous at accomplishing anything.

In my opinion your correctly by stating your not attacking anyone, but your are throwing your toys out the pram and seeking attention, just like my kids when they don’t get there own way. It is what it is.

Enjoy it pal, high five.

This is why the internet needs parental control and you need to play a different game..

You don’t fully understand the term "Constructive Criticism", hence why you feel the need to explain your own ignorance. You obviously lack the level of intelligence to "get things right" or "achieve anything" in the newer versions of FM. Is this a bad thing? No! You are just completely useless at this game. People have suggested to venture into the earlier "easier" versions. Rather than blame the game for your lack of skill within the frame of game, blame yourself for being completely disastrous at accomplishing anything.

In my opinion your correctly by stating your not attacking anyone, but your are throwing your toys out the pram and seeking attention, just like my kids when they don’t get there own way. It is what it is.

Enjoy it pal, high five.

So attacking my intelligence and refering to me as a child is constructive? Wow shame on me then, I propose this thread gets closed due to my own lack of intelligence and childish behaviour in thinking i could post on a forum and not be *Constructivly dismissed*

Enjoy it pal, high five.

Grow up.

The fact he needs wwfan, who helped develop the game and is widely considered an expert in tactics on Football Manager, to explain why he is wrong, is a sign that some things are confusing or misleading within the game.

The fact he has done X, Y and Z in a previous version of a game and has succeeded is a suggestion that X, Y and Z are correct - and therefore logically, would follow-up in the next version too. It isn't happening.

Look at it - the user cannot find no reason why his team suddenly turns rubbish, while real managers would know. It appears "random" to him. It might not be random behind the scenes, but if it appears random to a user, then there is a fault within the game and therefore worth bringing up as a flaw.

Sure, the OP could have brought it up in a different way, perhaps, but there is no reason for you to talk to him like that.

So attacking my intelligence and refering to me as a child is constructive? Wow shame on me then, I propose this thread gets closed due to my own lack of intelligence and childish behaviour in thinking i could post on a forum and not be *Constructivly dismissed*

Sadly some users are like Reccy, but luckily we have plenty of useless users that can offer help and advice. Just ignore him.. like a annoying little-brother .. ignore him and he goes away ;)

Going back on topic, I dont see it as a tactical problem at all, As stated before so many times, Ive tried all different formula, From reading countless threads such as wwfans to downloaded well known tactics from the forums that have succeeded so well for others, The problem i feel is the fact i refuse to be drawn into a game where i have to attend press conferences and talk to players after every game to keep moral up and other factors, There is an option ingame for me not to do any of this, But there is no point in selecting that either as it fails miserably.

Going back on topic, I dont see it as a tactical problem at all, As stated before so many times, Ive tried all different formula, From reading countless threads such as wwfans to downloaded well known tactics from the forums that have succeeded so well for others, The problem i feel is the fact i refuse to be drawn into a game where i have to attend press conferences and talk to players after every game to keep moral up and other factors, There is an option ingame for me not to do any of this, But there is no point in selecting that either as it fails miserably.

I very rarely use teamtalks, player interaction and conferences.. I set up a basic tactics, mostly based on 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and only move 2-3 sliders a couple of nudges and then away I go.. I admit I dont win alot and f.ex. it took me 10-ish seasons to get Leeds to EPL and actually stay there :D - but it shows that only a limited amount of "fiddling" is enough to get a game going.

I play very fast and do not spend alot of time on tactics and such.. in fact I rarely ever change the tactics mid-game. I setup my tactics on day1 and it stays like it is through-out the game. and I've had many 15-20+ seasons games with plenty of succes..

If I were you I'd really reconsider quitting and instead give it another go and just follow the basic advice from wwfan about too big, young and inexperienced squad.

Well, based on what WWfan said about your game I can tell you straight away that you won't succeed that way.

You are essentially leaving it up to chance whether you win or not. It is not really that much of an effort to make a difference, but it doesn't (at this point anyway) seem like you want to. Taking the game out of superstition/divine intervention territory and into the realm of human control is essential for enjoyment. You having read all there is to read about tactical and man management issues on here but still not understanding what is happening (or what it takes to succeed) shows that there is a gap between what you think the game is about and what it actually is.

The key to understanding what makes the game tick is the fact that matches are strung together via the morale/motivation system. All the teams in the gaming world are either in good or bad form, including yours. This is something that lies outside your control - consider it a force of nature; inexplicable, mysterious, a tidal wave washing in and out with you riding it in a boat. However, what you can control is how your team deals with it. You control both the brakes and the engine and your job is to brake when the tidal wave rushes in and to floor the throttle when it withdraws.

To put it more clearly you have two choices:

A. As WWfan says excel at tactics and watch the matches in extended or full match mode, change roles and tactical instructions to best the AI.

B. Excel at team talks/man management and don't bother with the tactics.

You do neither and therefore you fail. It is really that simple. What is happening in the Burnley save is that team gelling and team age/mental makeup makes it very very difficult to do either A or B.

I would say that it is easier and more fulfilling to concentrate on B than on A because I can't be bothered being the one who always have to adjust to what the opponent does. Let them worry about me, I say. Knowing that an unmotivated team performs poorly no matter the tactic (I take WWfan's word on that it is possible to win even when you're failing your team talk while the team is in bad form, by succeeding with A) the simple solution is to motivate your team. To do so you need to know how your players react to pressure, and change the assistant's team talk accordingly (they are usually putting too much pressure on the players, ignoring previous failures).

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20856282/Canaries_fm

Here's my save. The next match is leg 2 of the Spanish cup semi final vs Barcelona. Won 3-1 away so the game is programmed to "think" that this is the third and fourth halves of the same game and the team talks need to deal with that scenario. Pick the best team, approve or disapprove of Coton's team talk, check the motivation gadget to see if you succeeded with the team talk and pay attention as goals change everything. Substitute nervous players and players who have had a knock (low condition) early in the second half. If none, I usually substitute two players in the 65th-70ieth minute (players 75% and below condition) and one in the 75th-80ieth minute.

I guess the question is what happens if you try to excel at both A and B, but make mistakes in both areas? Surely you won't be successful, but the problem lies in the fact a user is too often not sure where did he go wrong and what can he do to fix it. An average user is often forced to do the guess work if he's to be any good at this game.

Ok for the last time lol :p, That burnley save file has nothing to do with how i generally approach the game, I have stated many a times that i work on tatics and have done for nearly a year in some points, The Burnley save was due to me being completley fed up at the game as no matter what tatics i use (Wether downloaded from the forum) Or created by myself, I ulitmatly fail, Now to me this has to be down to the fact i dont bother with press conf/individual player talks etc etc, I really wish i had of kept a save game from a while ago where i did marginally succeed got Reading promoted stayed in the prem did well in the prem then for no reason at all (From what i could see) I went on a 14 game losing streak, NOthing had changed but yet for no reason (Again as i could see) They slumped like theyd all been shot.

I'd suggest two things.

1) Try the FM12 Demo when it comes out, you never know, some of the many features that have been added might reinvigorate your love for the game and help get you back on track.

2) If not, why not try FM Handheld? It's been designed specifically with the word "lightweight" in mind for those who aren't as big a fan of the detailed simulation aspects of FM. Maybe that's the game for you these days?

Some people love the immersion and the detail that the latter FM's bring and some people are more concerned with the "Fantasy Football" aspects of the game where building your dream team and trying to win everything going is the absolute priority.

There's nothing wrong with either attitude, each to their own, hence why we try and create games here that suit both. :)

Ok for the last time lol :p, That burnley save file has nothing to do with how i generally approach the game, I have stated many a times that i work on tatics and have done for nearly a year in some points, The Burnley save was due to me being completley fed up at the game as no matter what tatics i use (Wether downloaded from the forum) Or created by myself, I ulitmatly fail, Now to me this has to be down to the fact i dont bother with press conf/individual player talks etc etc, I really wish i had of kept a save game from a while ago where i did marginally succeed got Reading promoted stayed in the prem did well in the prem then for no reason at all (From what i could see) I went on a 14 game losing streak, NOthing had changed but yet for no reason (Again as i could see) They slumped like theyd all been shot.

Yes as I said, force of nature. Not your fault (although not being able to turn it around is). If you try the save I uploaded I can pinpoint precisely what you are doing wrong (if anything). From the story of that 14-match losing streak I would definitely say that you are failing in the team talk department, not tactics or team building. If this is the case it would be a good idea to try my game for the rest of the season, because I have pretty much eliminated team building, gelling, player quality and tactics as problem areas (since this is season 11).

Roady, no-one can tell you how to win despite what all the "geniuses" on here say. They are just telling you what should happen based on their own experiences.

More of us than would care to admit have struggled with the exact problem you're having, you're not alone. Personally I hate the motivation, press, teamtalks side of the game so I hire an ass man with 20 motivating and let him take care of team talks, press, etc. I did create a good tactic but after the last patch it stopped working so I looked around, found what was considered the best tactics set going, now I just use that. I still have the odd dip in form (it's unavoidable) but for a casual gamer it works pretty well and you don't need to do much fiddling, I find it's that that takes most of the enjoyment out of FM these days.

Other than that you could just quit, I'm thinking of it myself this year because of SI's insistence on releasing unfinished games. I recommend Fifa12 for a football fix.

But yet FIFA is a fully finished game is it?? hahahaha oh the ignorance of it all.
I've got it for Xbox and played it for 1 week straight, unlike FM last year that I couldn't play at all till patched due to crashing. Even when it did work the transfer bug made me wish it would F***ing crash!

Oh I wish I wasn't so ignorant and could see the holiness of SI.

I have played FM11 since day of release, whats your point?

Just because you havent noticed a bug doesnt mean it is not there, FIFA is FAR from a finished game, easily as buggy as the next game. No one said SI was perfect but to tell someone to move to FIFA as its more complete is hilarious.

Roady, no-one can tell you how to win despite what all the "geniuses" on here say. They are just telling you what should happen based on their own experiences.

More of us than would care to admit have struggled with the exact problem you're having, you're not alone. Personally I hate the motivation, press, teamtalks side of the game so I hire an ass man with 20 motivating and let him take care of team talks, press, etc. I did create a good tactic but after the last patch it stopped working so I looked around, found what was considered the best tactics set going, now I just use that. I still have the odd dip in form (it's unavoidable) but for a casual gamer it works pretty well and you don't need to do much fiddling, I find it's that that takes most of the enjoyment out of FM these days.

Other than that you could just quit, I'm thinking of it myself this year because of SI's insistence on releasing unfinished games. I recommend Fifa12 for a football fix.

I would say that "fiddling" with the tactic is not the way to go. I cannot understand how using shouts would work consistently either, when using TC tactics: how on earth is it possible to know that the rest of the tactical setup would work when you use a shout in a given situation? (the answer: you don't). I'd say the best thing you can do is to create three different tactical approaches and save them in the match preparation screen: one attacking, one counter/more defensive and one ultradefensive/contain, and then tweak those three so that they all work well on their own. My experience is that the attacking one should be the main tactic, since the goal is to be the best team in all matches. You switch to one of the other tactics when the main one don't work for some unknown reason, not when it "would make sense" to hold on to a lead.

to tell someone to move to FIFA as its more complete is hilarious.
Did I say any such thing? Read my post again and have a word with yourself! Anyway I'm not going to feed the troll anymore go argue with someone with a similar IQ. Blocked.

I'm continuing the Burnley save and have pushed from 6th to 3rd. I checked back through your earlier matches and it looks like you downloaded some weird formation 'super-tactics' and switched between them once you felt the AI was 'cracking' them.

I'm actually quite enjoying the save as it is so challenging. The team is so green and untrained in any tactical strategy that I have to get everything right to win matches. In my own save I have an ultra-professional, super-experienced, well-drilled squad who've been playing together for years in the same system, meaning I rarely have to do much tactically. In the Burnley game, I have to switch things around all the time to see out matches. if I get it wrong, possession can be below 40% (which is an indicator I need to change and fast). Even when I get it right, it is tough to break down the opposition because the FCs aren't much cop and the rest of the team is so inexperienced.

I've left the Ass Man controlling everything you let him control. All I've done motivationally is individually praise/criticize a few players for good/bad performances. I've played variations of Target Man 4-4-2 in every game (Attacking, Standard, Defensive) with reworked set pieces to help me hold onto the ball if it is cleared. I've had to watch matches closely, but other than that, I've done very little. I've gone for a little more experience in my starting eleven than you did, using Chris Iwelumo as a first choice starter and subbing on Rodriguez late to add some pace once the opposition defence tires. I've also gone for a very simple central midfield pairing, using DMCs in the away games and McDonald in the home ones. I've also gone for Wallace on the left wing as he adds a little more steel to the midfield.

Once all my strategies have gelled, things will become a little easier and I'm pretty certain I'll win the league. Note, this is without touching man or media management, bar a few individual chats for players who have played very well or very badly, and not a single manual slider tweak. All TC and shouts, plus the squad you put together.

I would say that "fiddling" with the tactic is not the way to go. I cannot understand how using shouts would work consistently either, when using TC tactics: how on earth is it possible to know that the rest of the tactical setup would work when you use a shout in a given situation? (the answer: you don't). I'd say the best thing you can do is to create three different tactical approaches and save them in the match preparation screen: one attacking, one counter/more defensive and one ultradefensive/contain, and then tweak those three so that they all work well on their own. My experience is that the attacking one should be the main tactic, since the goal is to be the best team in all matches. You switch to one of the other tactics when the main one don't work for some unknown reason, not when it "would make sense" to hold on to a lead.
Yeah I'd be inclined to agree if you want the full immersion, I think for some though setting up multiple tactics is a bit time consuming however rewarding it can be. If the OP isn't enjoying FM anymore keeping it simple for now might help until the fun comes back, then you're absolutely right, for full enjoyment getting more "tactical" is more enjoyable.

I'm continuing the Burnley save and have pushed from 6th to 3rd. I checked back through your earlier matches and it looks like you downloaded some weird formation 'super-tactics' and switched between them once you felt the AI was 'cracking' them.

I'm actually quite enjoying the save as it is so challenging. The team is so green and untrained in any tactical strategy that I have to get everything right to win matches. In my own save I have an ultra-professional, super-experienced, well-drilled squad who've been playing together for years in the same system, meaning I rarely have to do much tactically. In the Burnley game, I have to switch things around all the time to see out matches. if I get it wrong, possession can be below 40% (which is an indicator I need to change and fast). Even when I get it right, it is tough to break down the opposition because the FCs aren't much cop and the rest of the team is so inexperienced.

I've left the Ass Man controlling everything you let him control. All I've done motivationally is individually praise/criticize a few players for good/bad performances. I've played variations of Target Man 4-4-2 in every game (Attacking, Standard, Defensive) with reworked set pieces to help me hold onto the ball if it is cleared. I've had to watch matches closely, but other than that, I've done very little. I've gone for a little more experience in my starting eleven than you did, using Chris Iwelumo as a first choice starter and subbing on Rodriguez late to add some pace once the opposition defence tires. I've also gone for a very simple central midfield pairing, using DMCs in the away games and McDonald in the home ones. I've also gone for Wallace on the left wing as he adds a little more steel to the midfield.

Once all my strategies have gelled, things will become a little easier and I'm pretty certain I'll win the league. Note, this is without touching man or media management, bar a few individual chats for players who have played very well or very badly, and not a single manual slider tweak. All TC and shouts, plus the squad you put together.

Well im glad someones having fun with that one, I scrapped it and started again with Q.P.R, Avoided buying so much youth, Kept alot of the main squad that was already there, Took a few note of tactics from here, Playing a flat 4-4-2 with wide mids instead of wingers (Actually like the looks of having wide mids as they seem to track back so much more) deep lying forward and a poacher, 1 game in 4-1 away win fingers crossed aye lol

So, I have decided that i finally may have to say fairwell to FM as tbh, I just dont get it anymore and its not "Fun" like it used to be (For me in my own opinion), For the past 2 versions of FM i have struggled COMPLETELY on the tatics front, Now i may just be useless but i remember the days when i could make my own semi decent tatic that i could use all the time and actually ENJOY the game, Now im constantly left scratching my head thinking, "How the hell can i actually win something", For the past 2 versions i have failed to win any, Yes you read correct, ANYTHING. (Without cheating), And to be quite frank, I dont want to have to cheat as i dont get any satisfaction out of the game, Yes i know we all want realism and we all want a challenge, But when it comes to the fact i can win a game 6-0 at home and dominate completely, I dont expect to play the next game away and get completely overrun to the fact im actually angry at a game :|, Ive said before i think this game has gone TOO indepth with all its effects that can make your team go from world beaters to sunday league in a matter of a game. Sorry just had to rant. :(

Although I often take a long time to play through a save, it doesn't have to be all that in-depth. I enjoy the depth of course, but it doesn't mean everyone does, or indeed, has to play with great detail to be "successful".

"Success" is pretty subjective. Depends on your own motivations and what you consider "success".

For some, it's trophies or nothing. For others, it's finishing mid-table or avoiding relegation with an awful team.

I do suspect that people often over-complicate things though.

I've just started probably my final FM11 save with Altrincham in the BSP. Tactically, I could probably use any system set up with the Tactics Creator and do well. It's the quality of players I've brought in that will make the difference. I'm using a Balanced/Control 4-2-3-1 though and have built my team around it.

My squad looks like a United Nations gathering and I think there's only one English player. Three excellent players were actually offered to me by agents. They're League 1 or maybe Championship quality. Simply put, the quality of the squad should see me walk the league. The team has already won the opening two games 4-0 away on each occasion.

Lot's of people blame tactics, but really, that's a small part. Any tactic is only as good as the players you have. I would also argue that the Tactics Creator really helps when it comes to selecting the right sort of players too, with the highlighted key attributes.

The most difficult aspects for most are man management and motivation. That's something where understanding comes with practice, but there's also some helpful guides to that aspect of the game within these forums.

Personally though, I would suggest to try playing the game without expecting to win and crush every opponent. Expect to struggle, then every win becomes a bonus, every trophy or promotion an achievement. :)

So update on the Q.P.R front, Took control, Took midtable from the boad thinking i couldnt do any worse than that, First 3 games went well won them all only conceeded one, Then BANG out of no where havent won since lol Now early Sept lost the last 5 on the bounce moral lowest of the low, How long till i get sacked? :D this is a little fun now as if i win any game im happy and if i lose thats normal lol

3 games later, Sacked. End of. New game here i come!

So update on the Q.P.R front, Took control, Took midtable from the boad thinking i couldnt do any worse than that, First 3 games went well won them all only conceeded one, Then BANG out of no where havent won since lol Now early Sept lost the last 5 on the bounce moral lowest of the low, How long till i get sacked? :D this is a little fun now as if i win any game im happy and if i lose thats normal lol

I am curious what you do when you start losing. Seems like you are unable to turn things around. Listening to the assistant when losing is a fail-safe way of ending up in the Guiness Book of Records for longest losing streak in FM. That is after all the reason AI clubs generally do poorly!

Give me the following information prior to the next match:

Home/away vs who

Morale and condition % of the squad + player age

What the assistant says in the "assistant advice" pre-match screen

The odds

The assistant's team talk

I have felt much of the OP's frustration through many many years of playing CM/FM. It became too complicated for me, a 41 year old, a long time ago. I have given up arguing for a numpty option to skew the game in my favour. I now happily use FMRTE to make my team decent. Victories may be hollow, but at least I win stuff.

2012 will be different. I am getting a new computer with an i5 processor and 8gb of memory which should allow big db, more nations, etc. Iacovoni and many similar members past and present with brilliant and often funny careers have inspired me to go back to my LLM roots, without any kind of "cheating". 2012 will be my year of getting humped by teams no-one has ever heard of and I will bloody enjoy it, or die trying. And I will record my lack of progress on the forum, just so I don't wimp out :D

FFS, I still do interviews in my head whist on the bog, cooking tea, doing dishes. We are all kids at heart, we all love CM/FM, we live our dream of football glory through FM. It is the only way we can get close to how Rooney must have felt when he scored that goal, how Keegan felt when he said "I'd love it...", how Sir Bobby felt when Maradona did his thing, how Shankly felt when he said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death"

It must be your tactics, as they all say. My problem with FM2011 was I couldn't stop winning at every club I went to throughout my career I played 14 seasons and won something each season whether a cup or league, double, treble, quadruple.

Have you read the ultimate FM walkthrough guide, its not a cheat but a very good read and in it there is a guide to how you can approach the tactical side of the game along with everything else. I would suggest downloading it from one of the fans sites and looking through it. Dont give up, I hardly won a thing on FM2010 but carried on to FM2011 where I had my best ever successes and saves.

I've got it for Xbox and played it for 1 week straight, unlike FM last year that I couldn't play at all till patched due to crashing. Even when it did work the transfer bug made me wish it would F***ing crash!

Oh I wish I wasn't so ignorant and could see the holiness of SI.

I have got FIFA 12 as well, and for me it does keep crashing. For me, the game is unplayable, as the part of the game I really bought it for doesn't work at present, so the game has been shelved until such time as EA release a patch. Never had to do that with FM.

Anyway, back to the op. From my experience I would stick to basics. Use a basic 4-4-2/4-5-1 formation. Personally I find 4-5-1 easier to use as more than often you will have superior numbers in midfield. Then, remove things your players can't do. For exmaple if one of your wide players is a Beckham-type wide man then there is no point in asking him to run with the ball and cross from the byline. Do not add anything to players, just take away the things they can't do.

Then use match prep to train your players to 3-5 various tactics (Standard, need-a-goal, defensive, bad weather). Encourage your players as much as possible in team talks, don't be too harsh for the first 10-15 games, build up moral.

Think I'm going to use this thread to try to profit from wwfan's advice, as some of his criticism to Roady's management style remind me of some stuff going on in my game... large squad yet to gel, etc...

What I can't give up is simming matches very quickly as otherwise it takes weeks to finish a season, neither can do the press conferences as that's incredibly dull. I think it's entirely possible to be successful without not going too much into micro-management, you won't win every game nor overachieve every season, but you can be on the successful side of things.

Think I'm going to use this thread to try to profit from wwfan's advice, as some of his criticism to Roady's management style remind me of some stuff going on in my game... large squad yet to gel, etc...

What I can't give up is simming matches very quickly as otherwise it takes weeks to finish a season, neither can do the press conferences as that's incredibly dull. I think it's entirely possible to be successful without not going too much into micro-management, you won't win every game nor overachieve every season, but you can be on the successful side of things.

I took wwfans advice and got royally humped every game, Now i wont say wwfan is wrong as he has spent far too much time and effort with the game :p, It just so happens it doesnt work for me, So instead i went right against everything he said lol , I started a new Burnley game sold every player they had (Made a profit and no pay over monthly buys) Bought an entire new team old and young (Ok so that bit of advice i did take), Tried to sack my assis manager but board wouldnt let me so let him carry on demoralising my team, Told them i expected a win every match, Downloads one of knaps tatics, Get outplayed everygame stats wise, But yet im second in the league and beat a semi strong Arsenal side 4-2 after extra time, Saying that they had something like 30 odd shots to my 14 but heyho i cant remember how many times ive had 30 odd shots to the comps 1 and lost so bitter sweet this time :p

]I started a new Burnley game sold every player they had (Made a profit and no pay over monthly buys) Bought an entire new team old and young[/b] (Ok so that bit of advice i did take),P

This might be the problem if you have a complete new team they need time to gel together. Team blend helps with this in match prepation if you didnt already know, but guess you already do.

This might be the problem if you have a complete new team they need time to gel together. Team blend helps with this in match prepation if you didnt already know, but guess you already do.

Team blend on high :p, Has been for months, Think in about 2-3 seasons they may know each other then, But i fear a few would have reitred by then lol

I feel exactly the same!! Gutted that FM are using steam, this did nothing but mess up my PC 3 years ago. In the end I took my game back and got a refund it was such a mess trying to install and unistall software. I understand that they have to block piracy, but I just cant go with it any more. On the other hand I agree for the same reasons, that the game isnt fun any more (to me any way). Ive actually won things on this edition, unlike the last and some of my own tatics have worked. Think I'll stick with FM11 and my old editions, over and out for me. Thanks Fm : ' |

I took wwfans advice and got royally humped every game, Now i wont say wwfan is wrong as he has spent far too much time and effort with the game :p, It just so happens it doesnt work for me, So instead i went right against everything he said lol , I started a new Burnley game sold every player they had (Made a profit and no pay over monthly buys) Bought an entire new team old and young (Ok so that bit of advice i did take), Tried to sack my assis manager but board wouldnt let me so let him carry on demoralising my team, Told them i expected a win every match, Downloads one of knaps tatics, Get outplayed everygame stats wise, But yet im second in the league and beat a semi strong Arsenal side 4-2 after extra time, Saying that they had something like 30 odd shots to my 14 but heyho i cant remember how many times ive had 30 odd shots to the comps 1 and lost so bitter sweet this time :p

I'm glad you are having some success.

What I struggle to deal with is the general mode of play that you seem to have followed in your saves. You seem to like doing two things:

1: Totally breaking up your starting squad and replacing it with masses of overseas signings.

2: Importing an unusual tactical formation

That results in the following:

1: You have a bunch of players needing to adjust to the cultural playing style and environment of their new surroundings

2: Some of these players need to learn the language

3: A lot of these players are very young and inexperienced

4: All of your players need to become accustomed to the tactic. The further the tactic is from a standard formation, the longer they are going to need adjusting to it

That leaves the user in a situation in which he has an ungelled, culturally unadjusted, green team struggling to come to terms with an unusual tactical system. If the user focuses on team blend, it will help the gelling of the players at the expense of their understanding the tactical system. If he focuses on the tactical system, it is at the expense of their gelling. Either way, it is going to be a major struggle. If the user then fails to use any squad, man or media management techniques to reduce the pressure on the team, or spend any time on developing some tactical sophistication and in-match decision making, he will struggle. His only hope is to discover some kind of forum super-tactic that enables his team to do well no matter what (i.e. one that exploits some ME holes and creates chances even when the team is playing very badly).

While the best tactical designers can still produce tactics that enable this, downloading them doesn't help the user learn how to play in the long term. Further, because ME holes are patched up regularly, every time a new patch is released, the user's tactic will collapse and the team will plummet, without him having a clue how to stop the rot. The same old frustrations reappear and the ranting begins again.

All it takes to learn the game is 2-3 seasons of slowing things down. Once you have determined a tactical and squad management system and developed a professional, disciplined squad, then you can speed up again. Not only that, you can speed up on any new save as you will know what to do from the start.

Archived