Does holidaying through pre-season really effect anything?

So I honestly can't be arsed doing pre-season. I just set up match prep, training, coach duties then buggered off till almost the start of season. So I won't be seeing the matches nor tweaking any tactics etc, just waiting for my formation to get learnt. Does this really have any effect of the upcoming season if i'm not there?

Do you not do any transfers then?

This!

Personally, I've been tempted to holiday pre-season at times, but I can't because I love making signings! I think you'll be missing out on a big part of the game if you do holiday through, unless you have all your signings lined up already :)

Pre-season is an excellent time to try out that new tactical tweak you've been considering but have not been brave enough to use in a league game or to see some of the youth players in action against senior teams as the one you're about to release mighht actually be a gem (remember the stars & on-screen stats are not the whole deal) & as others have already said unless you've loaded your team with the worlds best 11 players when else are you going to find the time to do your transfer dealings.

Your Assitant Manager will play youngster i.e put them in the shop window for loans so to speak. If your worried about players not playing enough just added extra fixtures for reserves and youth. Obviously you wont be able to make signings but if you only want to make signing don't holiday the pre-season just get you AssMan to control friendlies

Only once have i not taken control of pre-season and had a shocking start to the season which cost me the title. Normally have 2-3 very easy games in which i change the team at half-time and get a big win for morale. With my assistant in charge we scrapped through by 1 or 2 goals and he seemed to make stupid subs, putting players in wrong postions. Some players come out of preson with average morale which took sometime to get them playing in top form.

I personally don't see the point in playing a football manager game and holidaying right through pre-season. I love the full ins and outs of it, the organising of the training, the signings and the selling of players etc. I can understand why someone would holiday through it cos it can get possibly a bit tedious but the build up to the up coming season with new players, current players getting better through training is what makes it all worth while for when you win the competitions and the league.

pre season to me is valuable and i cant understand why so many people holiday it. it gives me the chance to get all my players fit, see how any new signings do, try new tactics, see if anything needs tweaking, etc. im also constantly scouting to see if i can pick up any good regens, with the transfer market open its not a good time to be away.

About friendlies...what kind of opponents do you usually choose? The most logical thing seems to be amateur squads you can hammer and pump your morale up.

But you also want to be able to tell how well your squad are coming along. If you have feeder clubs, they usually provide the easy morale-boosting victories- these are useful early on, when your group are still adjusting to tactical and personnel changes.

Then you want a few mildly challenging games, that you should still win, but that will expose any flaws in your tactics. So if you're a champion's league team, you want to play some uefa cup level opposition, for instance, so that you can test out how your defence operates under sporadic pressure, see whether your attack is as good as you think it is, once faced with reasonable defence.

Then I like to play two hard friendlies. One against opposition slightly superior to me, if possible, or roughly the same level. Then one against opposition only slightly inferior- which, with home advantage, should still bring a draw or victory most of the time. This will tell me whether I have built up a squad and tactics that will handle the coming campaign, or if I need to make a last-minute return to the drawing board, or plunge back into the transfer market.

In the bundesliga, I know I have the buffer of the German Cup 1st Round game, to raise morale again if everything goes to pot in those last two friendlies. In other leagues, I leave enough space between the last friendly and first match of the season that I can organise a quick morale-boosting victory should those last two games kill squad morale.

About friendlies...what kind of opponents do you usually choose? The most logical thing seems to be amateur squads you can hammer and pump your morale up.

Maybe not. I always used to play Haverhill Rovers for the last pre-season game and gave them a good double figures kicking but found that it didn't tell me anything useful.

I try to play one league below me at most and a couple of games against decent sides. Careful with overconfidence.

As i said, i turn off transfer window in pre-season(new game obviously).

If it's my first season i always organise the same pre-season as the club had, or close to it. So as Tottenham i toured SA and played ?Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates(x2), Brighton and Athletic Bilbao. Otherwise i always make sure to do a tour. I hate playing loads of games pre-season, so a tour of USA/SA/Japan/UAE etc, then 1 or 2 lower division sides then a reasonable continenatal game

I never play most pre-season friendlies, but I never holiday the pre-season. In fact I've spent 0.0 (0%) of my game on holiday in 7 seasons. I like to spend the pre-season tweaking my squad, getting players out on loan who arent going to be getting first team action (ie youngsters too old for the u-18's but not yet good enough for the first team), signing a couple of pleyers and getting rid of the dead wood. I find friendlies get in the way of that rythym. As for 'what about players not being fit if you don't play the friendlies' argument, I dont get it.

As I said, I'm 7 seasons into my Wolves game now and I only ever play the last friendly game before the start of the season (usually at home against a big club), and I've never started a season with any of my players needing fitness unless they have been injured at some point. My Assistant Manager seems to rotate the squad quite nicely in the games he's in charge of. Maybe people in this situation arent organising enough friendly games? I usually have 7 friendlies, starting against utter rubbish teams and building up gradually to better teams. I only reduce this if I'm in the Community Shield, which in effect is another friendly.

I don't play pre-season friendlies, but I won't holiday through the pre-season. I have to see how I can strengthen the squad with signings. My ass man does a decent job at making sure everyone's prepared for the season and so I let him handle it. I like a tour of USA or Asia, and have some challenging opponents from other leagues at home to see how I stack up against the best and get some extra money in.

I usually leave the friendlies to my assistant. I don't holiday pre-season because I look out for good players that I could sign for the club.

This is a good way if you cannot be arsed with pre-season, whilst still allowing you to sign players, develop the squad and tactics, training and such like. I like to go through it all and test out the tactics and get a view on it myself with all my own decisions, but as a time saver, sending you ass. man to friendlies is a good way to do it. I find pre-season one of the more exciting parts of the game, come to think of it.

Pre-season friendlies are important for me when with a new team, gives me a chance to try out tactics and players. Also if I've had a poor season and want to try out something new for the next season, or if I've just had a very good season (maybe a promotion) and the next season will involve different tactics or lots of new players to try out.

Otherwise, if I'm at a stable club then I let my assistant take control of friendlies.

I never holiday pre-season though, as I'd be worried about my staff being poached or missing transfer bids for my players.

As with others on here, I let my assistant take control of the friendlies, but I don't holiday through pre-season. Too much to do in terms of ingoing and outgoing transfers. I usually check the friendlies afterwards to see who played well - I have a set tactic and have no need to tweak it so that's irrelevant.

Archived