AI Experiment - what would happen if?

Re Detail.

Hmmm. Tough one. This is an experiment that's been run for 45 years now on those particular terms. We've got to know the general results style and performance levels. To adjust it now, so late in the day, might make Lupo decidely average, or Maia suddenly great. Or, and this is a definite, lose the ability for Welling to win the Cup.

So I'd suggest that you leave this one as it is and run the 09 experiment with full detail. Otherwise you'd just be starting a new experiment 45 years into the future.

Imho.

VB

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with VonBlade. As interested as I am in a higher degree of accuracy, I'm afraid the experiment will not last long enough, at this stage, to make much sense of the change. So, I'm voting for keeping things as they are.

What a wild season. I share the collective optimism about the coming campaign. Looks like things are set up nicely, and, with a gelled clubhouse, the sky's the limit for next season.

Kip, you are the man. I've been following this for months and months and my FM game has benefited greatly from the knowledge gleaned from your brilliant experiment.

One request:

For the 'world best XI' list, would it be possible to include L/R sides so that we can get an even clearer picture of the mid-21st century footballing world?

Thanks for your continued commitment.

Wow Kip what an end to the season. welling in Europe? Man thats crazy heh, but fear more of the same from the Bandits. Lets hope they can settle the squad over the summer and finally do what we all know they are capable of.

As for detail level, another thumbs up with Vonblade. I would leave it as it is for now and go full detail with 09, but ultimatly you are the one doing the work, so your decision.

Exciting stuff in the cups, both Bandits and Welling. I sure hope the new manager is given a bit more time, particularly considering the board's track record in hiring new managers.

As far as the detail - from my experience, more detail = more impact of the abilities of the individual players as opposed to club reputation and the like. I suspect if you switch the English league to full detail, you'll see more of the top stars playing in the prem, and more European cups come England's way. All in all, we have 44 years under our belts, what's the harm in learning more about something else, now? This did start as an experiment, after all.

Originally posted by Tom =):

this should be a sticky icon_wink.gif

I'm happy to do it if it is wanted. The level of presentation by kipfizh in this thread is second to none, it really is a shining example of how the sorts of threads in this forum should be run.

Any stickying/thread title changing/editing that kipfizh wants done, just give me a shout. icon14.gif

Hey mate...great thread from what i've read....ive only just caught on and havent read the whole thing, but it looks really interesting. Tried to set up a similar one myself. Just had my first season though and for some strange reason my team is significantly better than yours seemed to be at first. First season, no signings or sales, won every game...p42, w42, scored 578 goals, conceded zero, won the FA Cup, FA Trophy and Setanta Shield! any idea why the massive difference?! The main strikers got 363 goals between them in all comps, with a further 5 players getting over fifty, of which oneo got 97!

What could I have done so differently?! I think my stadium might have been edited to a bit bigger than yours but other than that...and anyway, no signings were made...

spooky! any thoughts anyone?

i think turning on full detail would bring this back to being an experiment again, dont get me wrong this thread is great as it is but now we can compare what happens in full detail to what happened without it

Hum... I really don't know what I think about full detail. The first thing that popped in my mind when I read Kipfizh's suggestion was along the lines of what VonBlade posted but then I thought it could be a good way to spot some differences between having the same game on full detail or not... overall I don't feel strongly enough about either way to vote so I'll let Kipfizh make the decision. Sorry mate I'm not really helpful on this one icon_wink.gif

About the Bandits' season now. Like you pointed out Welling winning the FA Cup is just astonishing and has to be mentioned even before the Bandits 3rd League Cup. I have to admit I'm actually really happy about this season, it takes time for a team to gel and if it wasn't for this terrible 8 loses in a row the season would be perfect. Europe coming next year surely means some quality signings on their way and since we were a contender for 30 games we can clearly expect to be around the top spot after 38 games next season. Hopefully we draw Welling in the UEFA Cup icon_wink.gif

Oh and Kipfizh, you wouldn't be coming to NYC by any chance? If you are and have some spare time I'd be more than happy to buy you a drink for all the joy you've provided me icon_biggrin.gif

TBH I think you should just run the game as it is. You have run it for this long without it on so turning on full detail would actually change the conditions of the experiment.

It would be like conducting an experiment to find out how quickly you can boil a glass of water by adding different things to the water, then deciding half way through to exchange the bunsen burner for a blow torch.

-----------------------

Back to the story and I have to say NICELY done to Welling. To be playing non-league football and making it into Europe is an astonishing accomplishment.

And as for the Bandits... after part one I was getting very excited about the Bandits getting into a title scrap...

What happened Kip? was it the suspensions and the injuries that hit us? or did we just play like a sack of potatoes?

great update as usual kip.

regarding the detail level, it could bring another element to the experiment, to compare the characteristics on how matches and players unfold, depending on how much detail their is. it could even benfit the bandits to a earlier than expected league win.

however i am in two minds as the experiment is entertaining enough just seeing the close battles that go on day in and day out right upto the last days.

ultimatley its up to you, as im sure we will all still patiently wait and read the updates, but i dont see the harm in adding another angle to this experiment.

^ I agree with this. At this stage I think you should just let the experiment run its course as it is, if it's change now then we can't really read anything into the results. I suppose that it'll have run its course when the Bandits win the league / Champions League / be the irrefutable best team in the world / win every game 10-0.

How many caps did Lupo pile up in his days? How about Maia (is he still around? I don't imagine he had much of desire to move to coaching. Although who knows, will we see Maia, the 200CA coach who gets the Bandits relegated?)

Tricky question Kip, I would say a) in terms of the experiment, yes change it to see what difference it makes... but b) in terms of the story, no it's brilliant as it is so leave it!

Overall then, I guess I don't really have a preference...

By the way, hating to be picky but your update should say that Welling became the first non-league club to win the FA Cup since Tottenham in 1901! Clearly more of an achievement in the mid 21st century, but don't want to see my beloved Spurs achievement go unrecognised!

Originally posted by DefoesRightBoot:

By the way, hating to be picky but your update should say that Welling became the first non-league club to win the FA Cup since Tottenham in 1901!

Oooh Defoe eh. Man we fleeced Pompey on that one. He's worthless. Ahem.

In other news, Kip is a Gooner so he is probably happy to see our achievement go un-noticed icon_smile.gif

I'm not really on board with upping the level of detail, mainly because I'm with those who think that changing the parameters this late in the day will skew the experiment as it is at the minute. No point corrupting how the AI operates when its already demonstrated itself to be much more changeable than I'd have expected in the long term.

Set that as one of the new parameters in your 09 experiment by all means but I personally think that there's very little to be gained.

I think Kip should leave the detail level as it is. I think this because this thread has been entertaining me since the middle of last year and the story has unfolded brilliantly since the. I agree that turning on full detail would change the experiment so it becomes more realistic but would it really matter too much.

Anyway another great job Kip. KUTGW.

Welling are the Spurs of the 21st century. lol. Now we have to wait 60 years until they do the double. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by SpeccyMatt:

Will there come a time when the Bandits become so rich that there finances are reset?

Just a thought...

i thought that at one point too

but the bandits are spending so much on transfers(finally!!!!!!!) that they r now lucky if they break even

possibly when we r winning everything every year

personally i think that should be something on the fix list for 8.03 if there is one

Originally posted by VonBlade:

Firstly, before we even get to the Bandits, awesome job by Welling. Historic moment and something I never, ever, thought I'd see happen in FM. Amazing.

It was an astonishing achievement, and I will be tracking them in Europe.

We definitely need a moments silence for the retirement of Lupo. Quite fitting that he should retire just before the real-life Lupo, Maldini, does the same.

Sad to see Danny Gamble go too. Somehow he always feels like the Dario Gradi of the Bandits. Other managers may come and go, he might manage elsewhere, but he'll always be the manager I think of when I think of the Bandits.

Lupo is and always will be a legend, and Danny Gamble probably did more for the Bandits than any other manager, even though he was at the club for a far shorter time than, say, Ben Clayton.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom =):

this should be a sticky icon_wink.gif

I'm happy to do it if it is wanted. The level of presentation by kipfizh in this thread is second to none, it really is a shining example of how the sorts of threads in this forum should be run.

Any stickying/thread title changing/editing that kipfizh wants done, just give me a shout. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much, your kind words are much appreciated icon_smile.gif

On the stickyness front, I've always been a believer that sticky threads should be the ones that everyone should be alerted to, like important updates, FAQs and so on.

I'm guessing that although lots of people read this (again, much appreciated!), there are probably heaps more that couldn't care less about the Bandits, and would not understand the need for sticky status.

And I imagine most people that would be interested would've found this by now!

That said, thanks for the offer icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Luke Hearn:

Hey mate...great thread from what i've read....ive only just caught on and havent read the whole thing, but it looks really interesting. Tried to set up a similar one myself. Just had my first season though and for some strange reason my team is significantly better than yours seemed to be at first. First season, no signings or sales, won every game...p42, w42, scored 578 goals, conceded zero, won the FA Cup, FA Trophy and Setanta Shield! any idea why the massive difference?! The main strikers got 363 goals between them in all comps, with a further 5 players getting over fifty, of which oneo got 97!

What could I have done so differently?! I think my stadium might have been edited to a bit bigger than yours but other than that...and anyway, no signings were made...

spooky! any thoughts anyone?

I imagine your matches are being run on full details. As I found from playing the games with myself as manager, to see how easy it would be, 14-0 was an average score, but because I was playing the matches, the detail level was automatically maximised.

That isn't the case here, and as such the sheer scale of the Bandit kids' quality did not shine through.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

About the Bandits' season now. Like you pointed out Welling winning the FA Cup is just astonishing and has to be mentioned even before the Bandits 3rd League Cup. I have to admit I'm actually really happy about this season, it takes time for a team to gel and if it wasn't for this terrible 8 loses in a row the season would be perfect. Europe coming next year surely means some quality signings on their way and since we were a contender for 30 games we can clearly expect to be around the top spot after 38 games next season. Hopefully we draw Welling in the UEFA Cup icon_wink.gif

I agree entirely, and really hope that they don't ditch the new manager. Yes, he had a shocking mid season run, but that was the only thing that's gone wrong so far - his transfers are excellent and he's won us another trophy, bringing Europe back.

Oh and Kipfizh, you wouldn't be coming to NYC by any chance? If you are and have some spare time I'd be more than happy to buy you a drink for all the joy you've provided me icon_biggrin.gif

Wrong coast I'm afraid - I'm in San Diego icon_smile.gif Thanks anyway!

Originally posted by cms186:

\0/ for Forest reaching the Prem, do they have any star players?

They don't no, and team-wise they ended the season ranked as the ninth best team in the Championship. The manager is also no star, so they may struggle.

Originally posted by Mikechilli:

And as for the Bandits... after part one I was getting very excited about the Bandits getting into a title scrap...

What happened Kip? was it the suspensions and the injuries that hit us? or did we just play like a sack of potatoes?

To be honest, I can only think that it was the adaptability levels of the squad. The collapse happened during January and February mainly, at the point when the manager was signing fantastic players all over the place. Perhaps everyone just got unsettled?

Originally posted by markymarky:

How many caps did Lupo pile up in his days? How about Maia (is he still around? I don't imagine he had much of desire to move to coaching. Although who knows, will we see Maia, the 200CA coach who gets the Bandits relegated?)

124 caps for Lupo in a glittering career, but Maia isn't around anymore, he retired long ago to his luxury home and undeserved fortune....

Archived