Quarter Final - Paraguay v Spain - BBC 1 - KO 19:30

Djstu23

small_flag_of_paraguay.gif small_flag_of_spain.gif

FT:Paraguay 0-1 Spain - Quarter Final

Venue - Ellis Park

1168876_full-lnd.jpg

[center]       Referee: Carlos Batres (Guatemala)

Assistants: Leonel Leal (Costa Rica) and Carlos Pastrana (Honduras)

Fourth official: Benito Archundia (Mexico)[/center]

[center]     How they got to the quarter final:

Italy 1-1 Paraguay                          Spain 0-1 Switzerland

Slovkia 0-2 Paraguay                        Spain  2-0 Honduaras

Paraquay 0-0 NZ                             Chile 1-2 Spain  

Paraguay 0-0 Japan (4-2 on penalties)       Spain 1-0 Portugal[/center]

Team News

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has said that he will keep faith with Fernando Torres, despite the Liverpool striker's poor form at this World Cup. With that in mind, they are likely to stick with the same team.

Midfielder Javier Martinez injured an ankle in training so may miss out on a place on the bench.

One booking from suspension: Alonso

Paraguay may opt to restore Victor Caceres to the team after he missed the match with Japan through suspension. If he does play, he is expected to take the place of Nestor Ortigoza.

Aureliano Torres has recovered from a minor calf strain.

One booking from suspension: Enrique Vera, Cristián Riveros and Roque Santa Cruz

Preview

La Roja have not lost to South American opposition in the FIFA World Cup since Mexico 1986 (a 1-0 reverse to Brazil) but are in no mood to rely on the record books after their surprise group setback against Switzerland. Coach Vicente del Bosque has no injury or suspension problems and is set to keep faith with the system and the side that got Spain out of a tight spot in Group H before they edged out Portugal in the Round of 16. As they showed in the second half of that match, the silky Spanish are working their way back to top form.

Del Bosque's opposite number, Gerardo Martino, has asked his players to pay special attention to Spain's quality and the speed with which they move the ball around. The Argentinian supremo has also vowed that his men will not sit back and let their opponents dictate the play, urging his midfielders to press hard and deny the likes of Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez the space to thrive. With central midfielder Aureliano Torres an injury doubt, Martino’s other main concern is the fatigue his charges may be still feeling after their punishing last-16 tie against Japan.

To watch

Defence v attack

Having let in just the one goal to date, against Italy in their opening match, Los Guaraníes boast the tightest defence in the competition along with fellow quarter-finalists Uruguay. That record is sure to be put to the test against the enterprising Spanish, who have created more goalscoring opportunities at South Africa 2010 than anyone, though their finishing has not been up to the expected standard. That said, the in-form David Villa is the competition’s joint top-scorer on four goals with Gonzalo Higuain and Robert Vittek.

Build up

"They have players who can make all the difference, especially in midfield where we can't afford to even let them turn round. We are really up for this game and that's going to make up for any tiredness we might feel. The team can't wait for this game to get started. We're doing a great job but we still have more to give, and our best performances so far have been against the big sides," Nelson Valdez, Paraguay striker.

"Paraguay are not unlike Chile. As we all know they gave us a lot of problems, and it would be silly of us to underestimate them. I'm not worried about overconfidence because there's none of that in the squad. We have an awful lot of respect for Paraguay and they've been brilliant in getting this far, beating a strong Japan side the other day," Vicente del Bosque, Spain coach.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion Spain haven't even been that great this world cup.

They haven't. Don't think they'll "eat Paraguay alive" as that other person said, but they should still beat Paraguay.

Wonder if Paraguay will make any attempt for goal from open play?

Paraguay: Villar, Morel, Alcarez, Da Silva, Veron, Caceres, Riveros, Barreto, Santana, Valdez, Cardozo

Spain: Casillas, Capdevilla, Puyol, Pique, Ramos, Sergio, Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, David Villa, Torres

Problem is you won't be wrong...

I feel this is Paraguays game to win but if the others are right about Spain winning then I reckon they'll only win by 1 or if they're extremely lucky a 2nd.

Aye, I hope your wrong though :(

Would be very amusing if Spain failed yet again at this stage of the competition.

I know this World Cup has had his shocks and drama (Ghana:(), but I just can not see past Spain.

That is probably because I haven't seen much, if anything, of Paraguay, so I might be being a bit judgmental...

Archived