Quarter Final - Paraguay v Spain - BBC 1 - KO 19:30

Djstu23

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't think Germany will be too scared of Spain tbh. Would rather Fabregas start against them.

Think Spain will be happier playing against Germany. Pretty much every team has packed their defence against them. You'd have thought there'll be a bit more space for them. Del Bosque really needs to drop Torres. The team that finished should be closer to the starting line up against Germany than the one that started tonight.

A deserved win, the first half was Paraguay better, the second half we dominated them, Germany is going to be hard, very very hard, even being positive, i think we're gonna lose, but well, if they deserve the win, i will be happy with the run of Spain in the tournament

spain were poor today, a lot of passing ( especially Alonso ) went astray, Torres needs dropping, theres no point playing him if hes not contributing anything to the team

Del Bosque really needs to drop Torres. The team that finished should be closer to the starting line up against Germany than the one that started tonight.

Agreed. Villa should definitely be playing more central than outside left against germany, reckon he'd cause more problems there.

I might be being ignorant here, but I was fairly surprised to hear Villa shouting "Yeaaaah, come on". I'd have thought he'd shout something in Spanish. :confused:

Not at all. I have noticed this a lot lately. I think it might have been a Japanese player that said the same thing. For some reason, "come on!" is a popular term lately.

When the hell did Spain get so boring/rubbish though? All tournament they've been awful but lucky.

Agreed. The thing that I find funny is that they haven't even come up against a decent team yet. They're in the semi-final of the WC and they haven't actually played a good team. Their group literaly was one of the worst groups I've ever seen in WC history. If it wasn't for David Villa's ability to score against lesser teams, they'd probably be home already.

Iker Casillas today highlighted the role played by Pepe Reina in his dramatic penalty save from Oscar Cardozo in Spain's World Cup quarter-final victory over Paraguay on Saturday night.

With the scoreline still goalless, the Real Madrid goalkeeper thwarted the striker from 12 yards allowing Spain to go on and book a place in the last four of the tournament thanks to David Villa's late winner.

And Casillas has revealed Reina told him beforehand where Cardozo would strike the ball, having faced two spot-kicks against the Paraguayan during Liverpool's Europa League clash with Benfica in April.

"Reina told me where Cardozo would shoot. He is phenomenal," said Casillas.

Spain will now meet Germany in the semi-finals on Wednesday evening in a repeat of the 2008 European Championship final.

Casillas added: "This team has a lot of quality and can go very far. But we have to be careful because Germany has a great team and we need to have respect for them."

Our hero! .

I actually thought the ref was horribly baised in Spain's favour. Giving a free kick every time a Spanish player looked like going down, and obviously allowing Spain to retake a penalty when in the exact same circumstances he didn't allow Paraguay to retake one.

Overall I think this world cup will be remembered for the abysmal refereeing, and so called star-players not performing - but this is nothing new I guess.

I actually thought the ref was horribly baised in Spain's favour. Giving a free kick every time a Spanish player looked like going down, and obviously allowing Spain to retake a penalty when in the exact same circumstances he didn't allow Paraguay to retake one.

Overall I think this world cup will be remembered for the abysmal refereeing, and so called star-players not performing - but this is nothing new I guess.

If he was biased, surely he'd have let Spain's penalty count?

If he was biased, surely he'd have let Spain's penalty count?

That was my thought as well. Why are people always looking for the ref being biased, by the way? I'd say most of them whistle to honour and ability (ability being the sore point for several of course. No disrespect meant, but refs from for example Mali? Disaster waiting to happen.).

Archived