Bit late- but was Rooney right or wrong to rant at the fans?

Was Rooney right to criticise the booing fans?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Was Rooney right to criticise the booing fans?

So yes or no. For me England's faliure was nothing to do with lack of effort from the players, so the fans shouldn't have booed them. It does nothing to help, the players know things went wrong.

Of course theres the argument that fans spent all this money, give up their time to support the team and get dished a rubbish performance. But I can't imagine Man Utd fans ever booing Rooney, our England fans are far too fickle. He should not have apologised in my opinion.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tbh as far as I can see a massive problem of England is the fans being so ready to turn on them, you see that translate to the performance.. because as soon as 20 minutes pass and they're not cruising 2-0 up against a "lesser" team .. the fans are spazzing out over not dominating so the players start to rush things and force the play

these are individuals who can play good possession football all day long with their club sides, pressing with good football for 90 minutes+ .. but at international level it falls apart and they start pumping long ball after long ball if a couple of moves break down in the early stages.. the fans need to look at themselves and realise they dont help with their inflated expectations and embarassing attitude to players needing a boost

Rooney should STFU, as should the whole team. You don't win games you should win E.A.S.Y.-ly, you have no right to talk back to fans being royally peeved.

I don't think he was right to react like he did, but he was clearly frustrated by his own performance and those frustrations were magnified by the boos from the fans. It was a heat of the moment thing for which he has apologised for. He should not be lambasted for it and should not be the subject of a witch hunt as a result.

In short. He was in the wrong, but to criticise him for it is also equally wrong.

he can say what he likes, as apparently the fans can say what they like

booing is almost always a sh*t thing to do - especially when the team are struggling for confidence and feeling the pressure of letting people down as it is

If after that display on the field the first thing out of his mouth is a complaint about the fans then he needs to focus on his own failings and get his priorities straight.

Not gonna get into another argument over whether or not fans can ever boo their own team, though.

In short. He was in the wrong, but to criticise him for it is also equally wrong.

IMHO shouldn't have said anything in the first place and nor should he have apologized. I think we all get that he was frustrated, but the best way to "apologize" would be to go out and beat Slovenia. No one is going to care if England advances, and if they don't they'll have much bigger issues to deal with.

He should have apologised I think, I mean peole have spent thousands of pounds to travel half way around the world to support there team, and be fair to the england fans the support for the vast majority of the game was fantastic. After that performance and the manner of it, I reckon they had every right to boo.

I think Rooney and the fans both behaved similarly, if the fans had a publicist working on their behalf they'd have issued an apology too. They booed out of frustration, Rooney complained out of frustration. Both can be forgiven for doing so. I'm sure a lot of the fans who boo'd know that it was a ****** thing to do.

Would have been nice for Rooney's apology to have come from him rather than an FA PR person though.

I have no idea what money has to do with it. If a person on min wage was booing then Rooney can't "rant" at him as he saved up, but if a millionaire was booing Rooney can "rant" as the could easily afford the tickets?

As I said at the time I don't go for the 'you pay so you can boo' line but I think this was because the performance seriously reached a point in which no one would quite believe how poor we were. If the fans have never ever booed us in the past and this was the first time you'd kind of see it as fitting as this performance was that bad.

Obviously he was frustrated with the team and himself but it does show the 'omg they're booing us' ... they didn't turn up to the game with the intention to boo, that's how horrified they were, it's one of those cases of genuinely being disgusted with the performance rather than 'let's go to Wembley to boo Lampard!'

Fans want us to play well, they want us to win, we didn't just 'not play well' we were appalling, the player can't rant and rave at the ref or kick a full back and they really didn't start expressing themselves until about 5 minutes from the end.

Ordinarily I'd say booing doesn't achieve anything and the fact our fans have done it so much means that the message of how strongly everyone felt about this performance probably doesn't come through but this was a performance worthy of the players being told of the fans feelings.

Rooney's comments made out like they'd been some kind of tirade or avalanche of boos and he was shocked, you got a bit of booing as a team for one of the worst performances in the history of the English team, yes, history! :D

That's all aside from it not being 'home' fans, these fans have traveled to follow England, they want nothing more than to win, they probably thought the freaking team wanted the same thing

People there have probably set aside between 15-20% of their annual wage, to be rewarded with a performance like that is shocking. They have every right to boo them and he shouldn't have reacted like he did. Obviously heat of the moment etc but fans have every right too boo.

The ones who should STFU are the fans and the english press more importantly.

I'm sure the team, like every team in the WC is doing their best. Some times things dont work out as you want or expect them to.

The pressure from the public usually makes things worse. But the worse part is the insults the team gets. Think about it, would headlines that call the team clowns make you care more or that its just not worth bothering to prove anyone wrong?

It seems to be the fashionable thing to do, to tut at fans who boo. Fans don't have the right to decide what happens at their clubs, they don't have the right to be within 100 yards of the self obsessed players, they don't have the right not to get fleeced by money men (Glazer,Gillett,Ashley), and now many would deny them the right to voice their opinion's. Let's just suff their mouth's with £5 each prawn sandwiches so they can't say anything.

Booing is all fans have left to let their feeling be known.

People there have probably set aside between 15-20% of their annual wage, to be rewarded with a performance like that is shocking.

What if you are really rich and the cost of going was nothing to you. Can you boo then?

Right imo, fans who boo are just dicks.

Players who show up to matches expecting to win because of who they are are dicks.

What if you are really rich and the cost of going was nothing to you. Can you boo then?

No then you call the players personally and tell them they're rubbish.

I think the press have a huge part to play in the excessive expectation, and therefore anger when its not met, which in turn causes ridiculous reactions that damage the players confidence more and cause them to play worse not better ..

The fact is if you pay for something, and you don't like it you complain. Sometimes you even take it back, and get money back - unfortunately I doubt the FA or the Players are willing to refund the money spent on a Match Ticket.

Booing is not something new, it has been here since well sports and entertainment has been around.

Unless, those saying booing is wrong have never once complained about something they have bought, especially for entertainment.

Booing isn't great, but how else can you let the players know you are unhappy with them. Rooney (among others) put in a blunt and gutless performance. Take a look at yourself son, put in a better effort and performance and then come back.

ACou, of course the fans expect we win - on paper, England are a better team, and Rooney probably earns close to what the whole Algerian squad earn. Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard are considered by many to be world class while non of the Algerians (well, maybe Ziani could be if you were generous) are. If those players can play well for their clubs week in week out in the league, and Europe, but put in a shoddy performance for their country of fans will be upset.

At the end of the day, as a player, you shouldn't expect to be cheered. Its like respect, you earn it. Play well and get cheering and adulation, play badly and get booed. Don't like it? Tough, go home, don't play football

you think the players choose to play badly? they enjoy it more than the fans? the wages of England players are so irrelevant its embarassing that people always bring it up as some kind of justification

as for the players going home :D maybe the fans can **** off home as they hate what they see so much

the advice of "put in a better performance" is pathetic. human performance doesnt work like that. there's not an on/off switch mate.

Wages are irrelevant? Its the same fans that pay to watch them at their clubs.

A boo is just a sound to say you played bad. And they did play bad. What is the problem? They are professionals they get paid lots of money, if they can't take it, let someone else take your spot.

you think the players choose to play badly? they enjoy it more than the fans? the wages of England players are so irrelevant its embarassing that people always bring it up as some kind of justification

as for the players going home :D maybe the fans can **** off home as they hate what they see so much

the advice of "put in a better performance" is pathetic. human performance doesnt work like that. there's not an on/off switch mate.

So you have never complained about something you have purchased before, especially in the Entertainment market, which Football falls into?

I would be thinking it if I were him, of course but the people who paid that much money to see a team play that badly have a right to boo them tbh. It's different for the players as they have the frustration of knowing a whole nation depends on them and will be frustrated at the result in general. However I don't think he has a right to criticise us because the performance was awful.

Players are paid what they are to play well, you'r right it's not an on/off switch, effort on the other hand is and I don't care what you say Rooney stopped trying and that is unforgivable.

booing the players is completely counter productive, you watch an England game and it's plain to see the fans getting on their back (as they have done so many times before) causes players to play uncomfortably, rush/over-complicate things and hence play worse

fans just need to take a look at themselves occasionally

Rooney stopped trying and that is unforgivable.

I agree with that, but I also think that any England fan who doesn't want Rooney to play in the next match needs their head checked. He's the only World Class player in the England squad, and the only hope of England making it through to the next round.

yeah not saying they booed during the game yesterday, but knowing the fans are only too ready to boo you has a huge effect on confidence and like someone was saying the other day, it causes players to be more afraid of taking hold because any mistakes will be jumped on and the scapegoat will be set. just find the whole England support attitude to be a bit ****

The problem might be we got babies playing for us.

People have been killed for losing games in the world cup, and our players can't take being booed? Give me a break!

Jesus Christ, what an absolutely insane point to make! Nobody, absolutely nobody, with an ounce of sanity could ever condone the killing of Andres Escobar, so to use that as a comparison is wholly irrelevant.

Archived