Slovenia vs USA, Group C, BBC1, 3pm kickoff

Philip Rolfe

I thought it was offside, one of the players (who was not edu). Interference maybe? I'd like to hear FIFA's pov
Offside might have been the call, but that would be just as wrong as any other explanation.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referee got that disallowed goal correct IMO. If you look at the replay that shows the whole box, at the back post a USA player is grappling with the defender. Yes, the USA players were being held and tugged, BUT, if the defender at the back post wasn't being grappled with, he would have got across and blocked the shot. So despite there being fouls from both sides, the USA gained the greater advantage from those fouls and therefore IMO the referee got it right.

The referee got that disallowed goal correct IMO. If you look at the replay that shows the whole box, at the back post a USA player is grappling with the defender. Yes, the USA players were being held and tugged, BUT, if the defender at the back post wasn't being grappled with, he would have got across and blocked the shot. So despite there being fouls from both sides, the USA gained the greater advantage from those fouls and therefore IMO the referee got it right.

**** off :D

Well...let's just see what the ref has to say. I just saw the replay twice and no one is being held at the back post.

Good to see that the Wikipedia vandalizers are on their game:

His officiating in the game between USA and Slovenia was roundly criticized by television commentators at the time. Coulibaly negated a late U.S. goal with an offsides call, which replays have shown to be inaccurate. The goal would have capped a US comeback from a 2-0 halftime deficit to Slovenia; instead the game ended in a 2-2 tie. Coulibaly is rumoured to hate the United States of America with the burning passion of a white hot sun.

Speaking on the game, Chris Moyles said: "I've just seen that disallowed goal for the US again - and not only was there no foul by a US player, there are probably two penalty-kick offences being committed by the Slovenian defenders. Shocking decision."

Koman even gave out a yellow card to Robbie Findlay (of the US) in the same game, after he was hit in the face with...the ball? Koman definetely stole the show in the US-Slovenia game.

I will gladly take my due for my comments earlier. I stand by what I said then-and when I said I would love to be wrong again.

We don't need to pound Algeria. Assuming England gets the win, it's: England/Slovenia 4 US 2 Alg 0. Then a win over Algeria and a non-draw in the other game sees us into Round 2. We only need the margin if it goes to tiebreakers.

Coleman, may I ask why you have such a grudge against the US?

It was Bradley you're thinking of. It was literally impossible for him to be offside since he was being hugged by a Slovenian player.

QFT. And if that is a foul on Bradley then how can the 3 Slovenians get away with theirs?

I understand this being a world cup, and FIFA trying to integrate as many nationalities as possible (refs included), but serious....a ref from ****ing Mali?

Do they even have a league in Mali?

FFS...absolute nonsense. Can just see the leader of the ref committie watching Elephant Riders FC v Big boys of the Nile Utd and going...hey...lets put this ref in the world cup!

Ugh.

Good comback, hopefully by the time we play Algeria they'll be done and dusted.

Absolutely disgraceful decision from the ref taking the win away from us. Still, a great turnaround after halftime and we have a decent chance of making it out of the group. Even if the worst possible combination of events happens, (England beat Algeria and England - Slovenia is a draw) I think we qualify with a two goal win over Algeria.

I will gladly take my due for my comments earlier. I stand by what I said then-and when I said I would love to be wrong again.

We don't need to pound Algeria. Assuming England gets the win, it's: England/Slovenia 4 US 2 Alg 0. Then a win over Algeria and a non-draw in the other game sees us into Round 2. We only need the margin if it goes to tiebreakers.

Coleman, may I ask why you have such a grudge against the US?

Only really because I wanted Slovenia to win. Also think they think a lot of themselves and hardly have a hard qualifying campaing to get to where they are now. Have a number of annoying fans who are totally clueless about the game and try to adopt NBA, NFL, NHL etc sayings into football. Not in reference to anyone on here though, you all seem to know what your talking about.

Lol Donovan saying "Going down 2 zero". It's 2 nil

Same difference isn't it? I've heard it referred to as both.

And I've heard plenty of Americans refer to it as the league table (or at least when I do, they don't go "what is that mean?"). But the Americans who don't follow football at all, well isn't that understandable then?

The notion that the ref doesn't tell the players what the infraction was boggles my naive American mind.

Same difference isn't it? I've heard it referred to as both.

And I've heard plenty of Americans refer to it as the league table (or at least when I do, they don't go "what is that mean?"). But the Americans who don't follow football at all, well isn't that understandable then?

Well I do, because I know better. But that doesn't mean I don't often "regress" into the American terminology I quite literally grew up with for two decades. It's one thing to be annoyed at American fans' attitude, but cut us some slack on the lingo.

I must admit, the USA provide the most entertaining commentary on football matches

Actually, basketball is better IMO. They will say something like "Oh, well from here Team A will give the ball to player A who will shoot, but absolutely NOT player B, because that will be awful."

Guess which player gets the ball? :p Happens so often.

Also, Donovan's first goal. :cool:

Only really because I wanted Slovenia to win. Also think they think a lot of themselves and hardly have a hard qualifying campaing to get to where they are now. Have a number of annoying fans who are totally clueless about the game and try to adopt NBA, NFL, NHL etc sayings into football. Not in reference to anyone on here though, you all seem to know what your talking about.

Reviewed this and tbh some of that does annoy me, but I don't have a grudge against USA per se. I just wanted Slovenia to win and didn't want USA to win that was all :D

It's 2-nil in England. It's 2-zero in America. Lift vs. elevator, torch vs. flashlight etc . . . You understand what we're saying. We've been our own country for over 200 years and live thousands of miles away, why would you expect our language to be a carbon copy of yours?

Cracking game. Weird watching it in a pub with the sound turned off because the majority of the punters were more interested in Ascot.

No doubt this has been said but the Slovenian keeper was appalingly bad for Donovan's goal.

It's 2-nil in England. It's 2-zero in America. Lift vs. elevator, torch vs. flashlight etc . . . You understand what we're saying. We've been our own country for over 200 years and live thousands of miles away, why would you expect our language to be a carbon copy of yours?

Our sport, our rules. OK? ;)

No doubt this has been said but the Slovenian keeper was appalingly bad for Donovan's goal.

To be fair, Donovan was right in his face from a really tight angle. I'm pretty sure the keeper's decision tree never considered 'top shelf' as his likely target, and once it was on him it was too late to react.

Tommy "Onion Bag" Smyth says "they are hearing" that the whistle had already blown before Edu struck the ball - again, why? - but none of the players heard it due to the noise in the stadium.

Sound and fury... you can be sure that there will be an explanation, and also that no one in the States will find it satisfying. It's all theater now.

mixed feelings on this one, thrilled with a point after being down 2-0, but can't help but feel like we had a win taken from us. a whistle blew very early on that free kick, it's almost like the ref saw jostling in the box and just automatically called it against USA, but when you look at the replay i can't see why it was disallowed at all. it is what it is though, just have to go forward and if switzerland can beat spain then anything can happen.

either way that second half was amazing to watch, one of the best i've seen in a long time.

Go Algeria?

I'd like to think that BB has someone chloroforming the ENG-ALG ref right now, secretly replacing him with our man. One good turn, England. I knew I'd seen that so-called Mali ref before. Eastenders, third season. Lorry driver.

Archived