Slovenia vs USA, Group C, BBC1, 3pm kickoff

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can analyze it all you want. There was no contact there, or anywhere. The referee made a pretty horrible mistake, it happens, the world moves on. It hasn't hurt the USA all that much, especially with the England-Algeria result.

RK	TEAM		P	W	D	L	GS	GA	GD	Pts
1	Slovenia	2	1	1	0	3	2	1	4
2	United States	2	0	2	0	3	3	0	2
3	England		2	0	2	0	1	1	0	2
4	Algeria		2	0	1	1	0	1	-1	1

Anything can happen.. Mon current #1 & #2

According to FIFA the contact was with Bocanegra.

Classic post-hoc rationalization, since it looks like Boca was the player involved in this:

I wonder if the Slovenian putting our guy in the headlock drew the whistle, because after he wrestled our guy to the ground, he throws up his hands in the classic 'Ref, I wuz fouled!' pose.

Also heard that the foul was on Edu, but at this point they could call it on Howard for all the good it will do.

Knew it had to be Boca he called. And, that really is a joke. Doubt this guy refs in the WC again. Overmatched. One thing I hate about all int'l competitions is that inevitably, there are refs that just should not be on the field. Seems to always happen. Still, beat Algeria and we are in r16.

Honestly the biggest issue for me is that he is not required to explain what his call was. I've only been watching football in earnest for 4 years, and that's the first thing about the game that I find impossible to defend or understand.

Most of you probably aren't aware, but there was a controversial call in American sports very recently. A baseball pitcher was one out away from pitching the 20th perfect game in history. Without getting into unnecessary detail suffice it to say it is one of the rarest, luckiest, and most challenging accomplishments in sports. Take my word for it. Anyway, a perfect game is achieved when 27 out of 27 batters are retired before reaching base.

On to the call. A pitcher had retired 26 out of 27 batters. You read that right, one batter to go. The 27th hits a weak, easily fielded ball and he's thrown out at first base, completing the perfect game. Except he wasn't. The referee - or in baseball terminology the umpire - ruled the runner safe. Replays immediately showed this to be the wrong call. The pitcher went out and got the next batter out, finishing a one-hit shutout and getting the win. But it was clear to everyone who had seen the replay that this call had just cost this pitcher the 20th perfect game in Major League history. The umpire, worried that he might have gotten the call wrong, had the replay shown to him. Realizing his mistake, he publicly admitted that he not only blew the call and cost this guy one of the biggest triumphs of his career, but that he felt absolutely terrible about it.

During the next game for the exchange of lineup cards - a tradition that happens not unlike exchanging those flags at the beginning of these World Cup matches - the umpire and the pitcher whose legacy he changed forever met and shook hands. Everyone was really proud of the guy for not only admitting he messed up, but immediately owning up to it. The pitcher wasn't bitter. The players weren't bitter. The fans weren't bitter. The umpire went on to call the next game in the series between the same two teams without incident, and was named by the players as the best and most consistent umpire in the game two weeks later.

Koman Coulibaly could learn a lesson from Jim Joyce.

The only lesson anyone can ever learn from baseball is how to waste your time. Seriously.

HOWEVER, the ref should do something, even if FIFA doesn't want him to. I was outraged when it actually happened, but calmed down a lot when England decided to not show up in their game. That doesn't excuse this, so I agree he should apologize, or at least explain what he saw. Things can look very misleading from different angles, and if he just admits he saw something that wasn't there, then I forgive him, and he made the right decision. Made the wrong decision on every Slovenian player fouling every other American player, but who cares. After all, on the pitch, the referee is God.

Oh, and this applies to the useless (;)) baseball story, because IIRC from the endless debate on Sportscenter/every sports show on TV, the umpire was in a stupid spot to make that call anyways.

Oh, and this applies to the useless (;)) baseball story, because IIRC from the endless debate on Sportscenter/every sports show on TV, the umpire was in a stupid spot to make that call anyways.

That's where the first base umpire stands. He's made thousands of correct calls from there. He just blew one.

/will let your baseball comment slide :)

Those saying that refs from small countries shouldn't ref matches like this should remember that the Spanish ref had a shocker in the Germany-Serbia match. The stuff at the far post really isn't relevant since it doesn't appear that he was even looking in that direction. He had clearly lost control of the players before that, and all he could really do to try to make it look like he had control was calling fouls in danger areas from set pieces.

Knew it had to be Boca he called. And, that really is a joke. Doubt this guy refs in the WC again. Overmatched. One thing I hate about all int'l competitions is that inevitably, there are refs that just should not be on the field. Seems to always happen. Still, beat Algeria and we are in r16.

expect an article from the wsj soon trying to make this an object lesson on the perils of affirmative action.

Those saying that refs from small countries shouldn't ref matches like this should remember that the Spanish ref had a shocker in the Germany-Serbia match.

Obviously, but then we knew the Spanish ref was abit crap as well and shouldn't have been there (11 reds in 17 games in La Liga) BUT there's a far higher chance a ref won't mess up when it matters (in the last minute of a WC game) if he's reffing atleast semi high standard, and no Mali is not that. The reffing has been mostly really good so they should just keep using the ones that did the first week. What Fifa should do is make their WC refs from small nations travel around Europe/South America the season before the WC so they can get experience in big games where the pressure isn't so high.

Obviously, but then we knew the Spanish ref was abit crap as well and shouldn't have been there (11 reds in 17 games in La Liga) BUT there's a far higher chance a ref won't mess up when it matters (in the last minute of a WC game) if he's reffing atleast semi high standard, and no Mali is not that. The reffing has been mostly really good so they should just keep using the ones that did the first week. What Fifa should do is make their WC refs from small nations travel around Europe/South America the season before the WC so they can get experience in big games where the pressure isn't so high.

I wouldn't necessarily see that as a bad idea, but it would require FIFA to actually contract the referees well in advance of a finals to pull this off as most have normal jobs. In addition, you would run into the same issues with referees criticized for not being up to the level of La Liga/the Premiership/Bundesliga/Serie A/Ligue 1 the first time they made a mistake. The other option of throwing them in to Champions League or Europa League matches is a non-starter. These referees obviously perform well at their respective continental championships, but the ordinary fan doesn't see these.

I don't think they even need to be massive games really, a mid-table bundesliga/la liga/epl etc with 40,000 fans, just something so they are abit better prepared for the WC, can easily just fly over on a friday too so no need to skip work etc although I guess most refs have very flexible working hours anyway. I must say though that the reffing this tournamnt has been excellent, ignore yesterday and it's probably the best I've seen at a WC.

Just to put this to bed, here's the definitive evidence:

For the record, I don't have a problem with the US team and I thought they deserved to win for the spirit they showed in fighting back, but some of the remarks directed at Mr. Coulibaly were bang out of order. I hope they make it through to the last sixteen.

In the grand scheme of what else was going on in the box for that free kick that was nothing.

IIRC the free kick wasn't the strongest, can't remember, seem to think I thought it wasn't one. Could have been one of those ref wanting to even it up, decided to blow up as soon as the ball was kicked. He did actually blow with the ball in the air, apparently so not like he waited for the goal and then bottled it

When the goal scorer is running through, he ever so slightly grabs a players shirt/shoulder I think. although it looks more like the Slovenia player is fouling rather than the other way round. That is the only thing I can see baring the Slovenia 4 fouls

That is clutching at some staggering epic straws though.

Clueless ref.

I just watched it again and the whistle comes well after the incident he's trying to claim was the foul. The ball is in midflight when its blown and the only possible explanation would be him thinking that bocanegra being hauled to the ground was his fault for turning into the defender.

Pretty much every country has a story of a rubbish ref decision in football, not only you and Ireland

Yeah, recently though. It's somewhat nice to be part of the "got screwed by the refs" club.

"Robbed of biggest comeback win in World Cup history" has a nice ring to it!

Just to put this to bed, here's the definitive evidence:

For the record, I don't have a problem with the US team and I thought they deserved to win for the spirit they showed in fighting back, but some of the remarks directed at Mr. Coulibaly were bang out of order. I hope they make it through to the last sixteen.

Definitive. :D :D :D

Love your pompous show of indignation at people flaming the revered Coulibaly.

Archived