Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

It's still a 6 point swing though in the games between us.

Comparing results against the bottom sides doesn't show a definitive picture either because it depends on the time of season a team played them (United might've already won the league, they may have been relegated etc). United have consistently averaged well over 2 points a game against teams in the bottom half each season though.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's still a 6 point swing though in the games between us.

Comparing results against the bottom sides doesn't show a definitive picture either because it depends on the time of season a team played them (United might've already won the league, they may have been relegated etc). United have consistently averaged well over 2 points a game against teams in the bottom half each season though.

It doesnt matter what the swing is. Apart from twice a season.

If you beat us twice, you arent 12 points clear of us you are only 6. Of course there are 6 less points for us to play for to catch you up, but the importance of that foregone 6 points is variable depending on the number of games gone.

Yes but I was saying that if the results had been opposite this season (i.e. United win both) then that's a 12 point swing. Of course it's all if's & but's. In one of my (much) earlier posts I was pointing out that the reason the gap was smaller this season was mainly down to results against the other big 3.

Am I right in thinking if you had lost one of the games against Chelsea then they would've finished second? Just shows how much of an affect the big games can have.

Ive already said that the stats are pretty much meaningless anyway. Im just trying to convince Coldberg of the same.

Doesnt matter where you get your points from, as long as you get more of them than everyone else.

For the sake of argument you have to go back to 04/05 to find us with less than 2.00pts a game.

Whether you consistently get over 2 points a game or not you have to admit that getting as many as you did this season is an anomoly. Much like our 14/18.

Tevez is a good player and be nice to get him and dissapoint the man utd fans but for £25 million dont know if I rather go for a more natrual wide man. What do you guys make of our finances which has been released, is it better than you thought or worse and £84 million in debt do you think that is a lot or quite small compared to Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd?

I cant see them giving Rafa nothing at all, he's got to have something to work with without selling players. And if that something is the 7m we got from the Keane sale, then thats probably what we're getting Barry with. If we go for Barry that is.

Question though, would you take Silva/Tevez and Barry for Alonso? I would (based on us getting about 20m for Alonso, and as i said earlier for Barry)

Ah jesus christ, I thought we had signed someone when I saw we had moved pages :(

Coldberg, I would suggest its more likely that we will win those drawn games against lesser teams next season than it is likely we drop points v yourselves. During those drawn games we were much the better side and deserved to win, whilst against you lot we gave you a goal start twice and still battered you twice. You weren't unlucky to lose against us on either occasion as you were outplayed both times, so the likelihood of this scenario repeating itself next season is MORE likely than it is we draw at home to Stoke, Fulham, Hull etc again.

whoever was asking - eider would get plenty of games, probably looking at a similar amount to yossi got this year, maybe a bit less but im sure enough to keep him happy. wouldn't be surprised to see him pushed out left though. btw there hasn't actually been any rumours, i just saw he is probably leaving and asked in here if anyone else would like him here. can understand people not wanting him for his past though.

ugh, one look at those chelsea players line up and i just can't bring myself to support them. come on 0-0 with an extra time everton winner.

The thing is, signing Eidur would distrupt the core of our squad, seeing as Gerrard, Carra and Xabi hate him.

Football365 reporting that liverpool and man city have both agreed to pay 25m for tevez.

I think he will only come if Xabi leaves tbh.

Lewis - have you got LFC TV on Setanta? Right now Rafa is doing a review of this season and was asked about whether Alonso will be staying or not. His reponse was along the lines of:

"I want to make it very clear that we DO NOT want to sell Xabi, and we do NOT need to sell him to raise money. He has been very good for us and is an important part of the team"

Xabi is going nowhere - FACT

Guys you watching the Rafa season review? Rafa says Alonso does not need to be sold to fun for other players, talks are ongoing with his agent. Rafa also talked about Babel.

Lewis - have you got LFC TV on Setanta? Right now Rafa is doing a review of this season and was asked about whether Alonso will be staying or not. His reponse was along the lines of:

"I want to make it very clear that we DO NOT want to sell Xabi, and we do NOT need to sell him to raise money. He has been very good for us and is an important part of the team"

Xabi is going nowhere - FACT

Rafa does not want to sell Alonso but all this talk with the agent makes you wonder if it is Alonso who wants to leave.

Rafa does not want to sell Alonso but all this talk with the agent makes you wonder if it is Alonso who wants to leave.

Xabi was in the press a couple of weeks ago quoted as saying he didn't want to leave. Really is no story here tbh.

liverpool make fresh bid for lavezzi. setanta..

Liverpool target Ezequiel Lavezzi is the subject of a bid from a major English club, according to his agent.

Rafa Benitez has been strongly linked with a move for the Napoli striker, and the player’s agent, Alejandro Mazzoni, claimed earlier this month that The Reds had seen an offer rejected.

However, Mazzoni has now revealed that a fresh offer is on the table and, as the 24-year-old Argentina international is unhappy with the way he has been treated by club president Aurelio De Laurentiis, he has suggested that the deal may be likely to go through.

"His stay depends entirely on Napoli, but I think that the club is now intending to sell him," he told Radio Kiss Kiss.

“Napoli have not kept the promises they made to Lavezzi.

“I'm waiting for a call from [Napoli sporting director] Pierpaolo Marino about a meeting with the president, so it's a bit difficult for us to know what Napoli want.

“The last time I saw the director, I told him that there had been a bid from a foreign club for Lavezzi.

“The president, though, has not even responded.”

Asked if the offer was from Liverpool, he said: “I am not authorised to talk about it, but I can say that there was a genuine offer and Marino rejected it.

“What counts, though, is what happens with Napoli and, at the moment, we do not have any relationship with them at all.

“Marino had promised Lavezzi an improved contract, but we have not heard anything since.”

He added: “Today there is an offer for the player and I have the impression that the club wants to sell him.

“I would like to stress that Napoli are important to Lavezzi, but we are talking about an English club in the Champions League and, moreover, they are offering him three times what he earns now.

“Players are not slaves – they are people.”

Source Setanta news

I think Coldberg's points can be reduced to this:

You finished the season on the high that you did because United failed to turn up against you at Old Trafford.

So long as that anomoly is addressed next season we can all be happy that the status quo will return, where you guys finish third and we win the league by a clear margin.

Got this from the Liverpool messageboard, dont know if any truth.

Man City believe they have won the race to sign tevez and barry 42mill

By DAVID HARRISON, 30/05/2009

MANCHESTER CITY believe they have won a £42million race for Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry.

The richest club in the world are ready to rubber-stamp a £32m deal to steal Tevez away from city rivals United. And they will offer £10m-rated Barry £90,000 a week to see off Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs.

The move for Argentinian striker Tevez, 25, also blows Liverpool and Chelsea out of the chase with City happy to meet Kia Joorabchian's £32m asking price.

Liverpool's bid for the former West Ham forward was the lowest offer received. Boss Mark Hughes will also pay Tevez nearly £140,000 a week in a four-year deal.

Joorabchian will have one final meeting with Old Trafford chiefs this week to find out whether Sir Alex Ferguson sees Tevez as anything more than a bit-part player.

Those assurances are unlikely - leaving the way clear for City.

Hughes is in the Middle East to talk about transfer targets with City's Abu Dhabi owners and has made it clear he sees Tevez as vital to the club.

City are much further down the road with Tevez than Barry. But they are confident their financial clout will get them the Aston Villa captain.

Liverpool felt they were in pole position after their abortive attempt to land Barry, 28, last summer.

But the Reds are unable to match the Arabs' vast wealth.Barry could yet decide he values Champions League football over money but Eastlands officials are confident of getting their man.

headlne on alot of back pages tomorrow ***** city

http://www.bestway4you.com/cart/detail.asp?id=1420

Not sure if it is genuine or not but it has the correct logos and stuff so it is probably made in an Indian sweatshop or something like that. But still, the new Liverpool away kit for 8 quid.

They aren't real, but they are really good quality. I've used them a few times, worth buying a few 'cause the P+P is a fair bit iirc.

Aren't those shirts the ones they make after hours on the sly from the proper factory? Sure I heard someone saying that on these forums, going to take a chance anyway on a few of the spanish shirts :thup:

What our resident manc idiot fails to realise is that until this season our problems have been both not being able to win enough against the small teams AND losing to the mancs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Now we have the monkey off our backs of winning our first league games under Rafa against said teams, especially drubbing the mancs 4-1 at their place and ending Chelsea's unbeaten run at theirs we no longer have to go in those games in the hope to get a point. We can genuinely expect to go there and fight for the win.

The problem has been not beating the diddy teams who just want to camp on our goalline this year, of which the mancs didn't have a problem with because the diddy teams were either too scared of Ronaldo or the mancs got a lucky penalty/goal disallowed decision in their favour.

http://www.bestway4you.com/cart/detail.asp?id=1420

Not sure if it is genuine or not but it has the correct logos and stuff so it is probably made in an Indian sweatshop or something like that. But still, the new Liverpool away kit for 8 quid.

ive got a few of these which i use for 5 a side. they are probably fake but its hard to tell for £8 you cant complain. like cat said the p & p is high which is why i got 3 last time.

Todays rumours

Chelsea and Liverpool are battling it out for Paris St Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon - who is rated at around £12m.

(Full story: News of the World)

Liverpool's players have told manager Rafael Benitez that he should bring Newcastle striker Michael Owen back to Anfield.

(Full story: The People)

Sunday Mirror claims Tom Hicks and George Gillet are going to commit to the club by landing a £350 million refinancing deal. The move could also bring an improved summer budget. Javi Martinez has also issued a come and get me plea according to the paper. Tom Hicks and Georgoe Gillet feel they can manage a new loan quite easily aftere the club increased its profits to a record £40 million. Deal will hinge on Gillet and hicks pouring more of their own finance into Anfield and the pair are looking to raise funds by selling some of their other sporting assets.

Archived