Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

I said on my facebook last night 5-3 still in our shadow :). I dont know how true this is as it is on telext but Babel's agent says he wont be leaving, he says Ryan wants to leave Liverpool as a regular starter with a trophy in his pocket and will speak with the manager.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urgh that article is horrendous.

Ferguson will not rest until he's equalled or surpassed the European Cup haul of Sir Bob. No matter how many league titles he wins, it's the European Cup that really matters, and the trophy that is still the holy grail for all, no matter what anyone says. It may be becoming a tedious competition, with the repetitive nature of playing sides from your own country time and time again, but it's still the one that sets apart the good sides from the great sides. Alex Ferguson will tell you exactly the same.

This is the only bit worth reading tbh.

I don't feel sorry for him, he has been told and been given chances time and time again over the past couple of years to improve his game and just hasn't done it. He has rarely stepped up and shown his promise, instead spending his time performing dutch rap on youtube.

Angry Manchester United fan kills four Barcelona fans with minibus after Champions League final

An enraged Manchester United fan killed four people when he drove his minibus into a crowd of Barcelona supporters after his team’s Champions League defeat.

Police said the fan was so annoyed when he drove passed the celebrating Barcelona fans that he turned in the road and drove straight into them.

Champions League - Upset United fan kills four - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Man Utd fans always call us murderers. :(

I don't feel sorry for him, he has been told and been given chances time and time again over the past couple of years to improve his game and just hasn't done it. He has rarely stepped up and shown his promise, instead spending his time performing dutch rap on youtube.

Told what? He's a striker and he's been played pretty much constantly on the wing, dropped in and out the team, mainly got sub apperances (when was he last started two games in a row?). How is he meant to improve his game? No idea what his rap has to do with anything either.

Confirmation of what many of you already know.

Gary Ablett to leave Liverpool FC reserve team manager job

GARY ABLETT is to leave his post as Liverpool reserve team manager at the end of the current season.

The Reds second string boss has been told that his two year contract will not be renewed when it comes to an end this summer.

Ablett moved to Liverpool from Everton in 2006 after being offered the reserve team manager's position after it was turned down by Gary McAllister.

In his second full season in the job he enjoyed his first major success as a coach when Liverpool reserves were crowned champions of the Barclays Premier League North.

With several promising youngsters flourishing under his guidance it looked as if Ablett's position in Liverpool's coaching staff was secure.

But over the past 12 months the reserves have suffered a major downturn in fortunes, finishing just a single point above bottom spot and winning just five games all season.

With Rafa Benitez keen to revamp the coaching staff at reserve and academy levels Ablett has become the most high profile casualty of what is expected to be a summer of changes at both Melwood and Kirkby.

Ablett's last task will be to take charge of the Reds reserves in an and of season tournament which begins in Holland tomorrow.

Under-18s manager Hugh McAuley, under-16s coach Dave Shannon and under-14s coach Paul Lever are also set to leave, with their departures expected next week.

Shrewsbury Town's Liverpool-born assistant manager John McMahon heads a shortlist of possible replacements for Ablett and Benitez is hoping to make an appointment to the post at the earliest possible opportunity.

The Reds boss has been unhappy with the standard of young players being produced by Liverpool ever since his arrival at Anfield in the summer of 2004.

Frank McParland has already been recruited to be Liverpool's new academy director and renowned Spanish coach Pep Segura has been appointed technical manager at the Kirkby-based facility.

Meanwhile, Martin Skrtel has spoken of his sense of loss at the departure of legendary Liverpool centre back Sami Hyypia.

The Finnish defender quit the Reds after ten years of sterling service on Sunday and will now move to German side Bayer Leverkusen with whom he has signed a two year contract.

Skrtel admits he will miss the calming influence that Hyypia provided, saying: ""For me, I'll miss Sami because he is a big person and a big player.

"He has helped me a lot. Whenever I've needed something I could go to Sami and ask him. He'd always help me.

"But now he's finished here after 10 years - like I say, he'll be missed.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/28/gary-ablett-to-leave-liverpool-fc-reserve-team-manager-job-100252-23732609/

Told what? He's a striker and he's been played pretty much constantly on the wing, dropped in and out the team, mainly got sub apperances (when was he last started two games in a row?). How is he meant to improve his game? No idea what his rap has to do with anything either.

Last season Rafa told Babel what he needed to do to get in the first team, where to improve and whatnot just After Babel was whining about not being in the team like he normally does.

He obviously hasn't listened as he hasn't progressed. The lad has huge potential but he looks like he walks around sulking unless he is in the mood to play. His rap was a reference to how he seems to enjoy his lifestyle more than wanting to improve as a player.

Agent rebuffs Babel exit rumours

The Dutch winger found first-team chances limited throughout the season and has been tipped to leave Anfield.

But his representative, Winnie Haatrecht, insists that is not the case and he hopes to hold talks soon with Reds manager Rafael Benitez.

"He is not done here yet," Haatrecht told AD Sportwereld.

"I will sit down soon with Mr Benitez to evaluate the season. We haven't found time to do that yet.

"Ryan went from Ajax to Liverpool to win trophies. So far that hasn't happened. Ryan wants to leave Liverpool as a regular starter with a trophy in his pocket."

The 22-year-old made six starts all season and was a substitute 21 times.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5352072,00.html

RAFA: SAMI'S DEPARTURE COULD BE CHANCE

Rafa Benitez has revealed how Sami Hyypia's departure this summer could open the first-team door for one of the club's young defenders.

England youth international Martin Kelly and Spanish U21 Mikel San Jose are among a clutch of budding centre-backs waiting in the wings.

While Benitez is refusing to rule out adding to his defensive ranks this summer, the boss is set to include several youngsters in his pre-season plans.

"We will see the young players in pre-season and we can work on different scenarios," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "We will see all of them and after decide. They are young players with a great future here.

"We will see - it depends on them and also it depends on whether we can find someone in the market who can be good for us at the right price."

Meanwhile, Kelly played 90 minutes as England beat Bosnia-Herzegovina 2-0 in a European U19 Championship qualifier on Wednesday.

The call-up caps a great season for the 19-year-old, who made his senior debut against PSV in December before impressing on a loan spell at Huddersfield.

LFC ANNOUNCE ABLETT DEPARTURE

Liverpool FC today confirmed reserves manager Gary Ablett will leave the club at the end of this month.

Ablett will depart after the International Cor Groenewegen Tournament in Holland this weekend.

The former Reds defender took up the position in 2006 after moving from Merseyside rivals Everton.

Everyone at Liverpool would like to thank Gary for his hard work over the past three years and wish him all the best for the future.

Martin Kelly wothy of getting that 4th centre back spot tbh. Really would love to see us give him a chance next season in the domestic cups. Never been too sure about San Jose though for some reason, never seems to be that safe defensively.

Just thought of a kind of dream team for next season, which only requires making two signing.

Reina

Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua

Mascherano, Alonso

Gerrard

Villa, Torres, Tevez

Would be amazing, and not entirely unrealistic as only two signings would need be made. Would make for a scary strike force I think.

Oh yeah, if Alonso does leave, we could I suppose buy Silva to play Centre Midfielder. If I wanted to be completely unrealistic I would say Iniesta, but we know that won't happen, Silva is a more realistic option.

Might not mean anything but the Man Utd squad has returned but Tevez wasn't with them. Sky news said that his contract has now finished, I thought the loan deal expired in June.

Might not mean anything but the Man Utd squad has returned but Tevez wasn't with them. Sky news said that his contract has now finished, I thought the loan deal expired in June.

Not much point in him going back if they're having no more training sessions.

I still reckon he'll stay, and if he doesn't, he won't be coming here imo.

Torres has signed a new deal until 2013 :)

Same length of contract just more money for him as a reward for doing well although it does include an option to extend the deal to 2014. Nothing to get excited about imo just more wages for same length of contract.

Haha you have blates just stolen that opinion from rawk.

I have never been on rawk :(. I remember Owen signed a new contract when he returned from the world cup 98 and it was announced by the PA in the stadium and crowd cheered. I dont know why because it wasn't a contract extension it was just more money. I think it should work both ways, Torres gets rewards for doing well and Lucus and Babel have their wages slashed to half what they are on for being flops.

Just thought of a kind of dream team for next season, which only requires making two signing.

Reina

Mascherano, Alonso

Gerrard

Villa, Torres, Tevez

Would be amazing, and not entirely unrealistic as only two signings would need be made. Would make for a scary strike force I think.

Oh yeah, if Alonso does leave, we could I suppose buy Silva to play Centre Midfielder. If I wanted to be completely unrealistic I would say Iniesta, but we know that won't happen, Silva is a more realistic option.

Apart from we'd have to sell at least 4 or 5 players, leaving us with a smaller squad when our main problem was squad depth, still no back up right back and no width. plus we couldn't afford it.

oh and the idea of Silva as CM in the prem is comical

God says we wil winn the title next year http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_5353088,00.html

I think our problem is lack of quality in depth rather than squad in depth. I think we should add quality rather just numbers, that has been our problem at times we seem to spend 4-7 million on 5-6 players to add to the squad rather than improve the first team.

Care to explain what that is?

Next season will be Liverpool's - Fowler

While disappointed to see United draw level courtesy of this season's Premier League title, Fowler admits it was nothing less than United deserved.

"It kills you to admit that but obviously Manchester United have a very good team and I think that what they've achieved has been fantastic," Fowler said.

"Hopefully Liverpool can get that one league title ahead of them next year. That's what I'm hoping anyway."

Liverpool have failed to land a league title since 1990 but Fowler is confident the long drought could soon come to an end.

"I think they surprised a few people. They were better this year than they've ever been in the Premier League," he added.

"I've mentioned it before that some of the silly points that they dropped at home against the so-called weaker teams...if they could turn those draws into wins, we could be talking here now of Liverpool as champions.

"The reason that Manchester United are champions is that they don't draw those games, they win them. If Liverpool can put that right, and I can definitely see them doing that, then I think that next year will be Liverpool's year."

But while he remains passionate about his former club, Fowler expects to be watching them from afar after signing a two-year deal with Australian side North Queensland Fury.

After leaving Blackburn Rovers last December, Fowler listened to a number of offers before deciding on the A-League newcomers, who are based in the tropical outpost of Townsville.

"I'd left Blackburn and I got the call from the North Queensland manager (Ian Ferguson) asking if I would be interested," explained the 34-year-old Fowler, who is in Singapore for North Queensland's friendly match against S-League side Tampines Rovers on Sunday.

"I went over and I was very impressed with what the manager and chairman had to say. I went around the place and really liked it and I was really keen to sign the contract."

Fowler has been designated as the club's 'marquee' player - meaning his wages are excluded from the salary cap imposed on the club - but the former England international insists he wants no special treatment.

"The marquee is just a title," he added. "I'm going to be treated just the same as every other player and I'll go into the season wanting to do as well as I can.

"I wouldn't be treated any differently and I wouldn't expect to be treated

differently.

"I'm not going to go on about being the big marquee player because I don't want to invite any extra pressure on myself.

"There might be a little bit of added pressure but I think I can handle it."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_5353088,00.html

Apart from we'd have to sell at least 4 or 5 players, leaving us with a smaller squad when our main problem was squad depth, still no back up right back and no width. plus we couldn't afford it.

oh and the idea of Silva as CM in the prem is comical

Oh yeah, not sure why I put him there TBF, just ignore that.

I have never been on rawk :(. I remember Owen signed a new contract when he returned from the world cup 98 and it was announced by the PA in the stadium and crowd cheered. I dont know why because it wasn't a contract extension it was just more money. I think it should work both ways, Torres gets rewards for doing well and Lucus and Babel have their wages slashed to half what they are on for being flops.

Oh come off it. Lucas has made a good improvement. He cost 6 million, Anderson cost more than double that and Lucas is better than Anderson yet Lucas is always being slated.

Reina

Mascherano, Alonso

Gerrard

Villa, Torres, Tevez

There is no width in that squad and that is really unrealistic. Villa would cost quite a lot and there could be a bidding war which I don't think we would win.

I think this is a more likely squad:

-----------------Reina-------------

Arbeloa----Carra-------Agger----Insua

-----------Masch------Xabi--------

Pranjic/Kuyt*------Gerrard-------Tevez/Silva**

-----------------Torres-------------

**1 of either Tevez or Silva to be signed.

*1 of either Pranjic or Kuyt to start.

Well he has been constantly slated Coldberg and yet he has looked confident on the ball for the latter part of the season just gone by. They were both signed in the same transfer window and while Anderson has done nothing to justify his huge transfer fee, Lucas' performances as of late have justified his price tag. Whenever I have seen Anderson play his body language to me, indicates he does not have the right attitude.

Well he has been constantly slated Coldberg and yet he has looked confident on the ball for the latter part of the season just gone by. They were both signed in the same transfer window and while Anderson has done nothing to justify his huge transfer fee, Lucas' performances as of late have justified his price tag. Whenever I have seen Anderson play his body language to me, indicates he does not have the right attitude.

Woah, woah & thrice woah. Nothing to justify his price tag? I think even Liverpool fans will admit that's crap. Last season & the early part of this one he has shown promise & has on more than one occasion run the midfield of a game. Last season he dominated Fabregas twice (hence the line in his song).

But according to you one & a half seasons doesn't justify his price tag yet a few games towards the end of the season & Lucas is worth his?

I would stick to quoting other people's opinions.

Archived