Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eidur wouldn't be bad as back-up for Torres tbh with you, if we dont get Tevez

And what happened to the Forlan rumours :(

Never heard those rumours and hope they're false, had his chance in the Premiership amd just didn't cut it, there are cheaper options out there anyway.

Never heard those rumours and hope they're false, had his chance in the Premiership amd just didn't cut it, there are cheaper options out there anyway.

He did cut it in the Premiership. He was a very good player for Chelsea for a number of years. However, I imagine you'll get what you hope for. If he wants first team football, he won't find it under Benitez.

He did cut it in the Premiership. He was a very good player for Chelsea for a number of years. However, I imagine you'll get what you hope for. If he wants first team football, he won't find it under Benitez.

I was talking about Forlan.

I would just like to place on record my joy at the return from hiding of Coldberg. This thread has certainly been lacking his incisive commentary over the last few days.

Can i just say that there is no need to buy a replacment for Sami as we have a ready made replacement in Martin Kelly, time we started blooding some reserves.

Got a mate who is a Huddersfield fan and he was very impressed with him while he was there towards the end of the season.

Whether or not he is ready to be backup for Agger/Carra/Skrtel I have no idea.

Well I've not really seen him play but I hope your right. Apparently he likes to get forward a lot as well. Free Scoring CB :D

Yeah free scoring CB'S are exactly what we need, Carra, Skrtel and Agger are all great defenders but none are great at scoring from set pieces, we need to start being more of a threat from corners imo.

Telegraph Sport can disclose that the club’s financial results for the year to July 2008 will show a 50% increase in profit before tax and depreciation at £37m, up from £25m in 2006-07 and turnover of £159.1m, a club record.

They are also thought to show that the club’s net debt has almost doubled from £43.9m in 2007 to £86m last year. This is largely the result of the refinancing deal struck with RBS in February last year and the club drawing down a £19m loan to help develop plans for a new stadium.

Sport on television The club and its American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks will argue that the level of debt is comfortably serviced by the club’s increasing profitability. The club’s debts cost £10m to service in 2007-08, though around £3m of that is thought to be bank charges arising from the re-financing.

The accounts are also expected to reveal that the owners have also injected almost £80m in the club since the start of the 2007-08 season, around £35m of it to finance player acquisitions.

Telegraph Sport understands that Hicks and Gillett provided around £58m in cash and other guarantees to their banks RBS and Wachovia when refinancing their £350m loans last year, effectively increasing their equity stake.

They then provided £12m directly for players in 2007-08, and a further £21.3m last season. It is unclear whether this was fresh capital or drawn from loans secured against Liverpool’s parent companies.

Hicks’ and Gillett’s £350m loan from the banks is split between the club’s parent company Kop Football Holdings Limited, which is responsible for £245m, with the remaining £105m secured against the club.

In addition the club is also liable for a £79m inter-company loan, although it cannot be recalled if there is any danger that repaying it would make the club insolvent.

Hicks and Gillett maintain that this financial structure makes Liverpool’s debt position more sustainable than their immediate rivals, and will point to the club’s improving commercial performance as evidence as they seek fresh investment ahead of refinancing talks with the banks in July.

Talks with RBS have been ongoing for some months and it is thought that the bank will issue fresh terms to the Americans in the coming weeks. The owners will be optimistic that these accounts, combined with encouraging performance in the season just ended, will satisfy concerns over the club’s viability.

Any questions will address the owners’ ability to service the debt at the holding company level. Both men have sought to sell portions of their US sports businesses in recent months in order to defend their postion in Liverpool, which now looks to be their prime sporting asset.

The pair are also looking for third party investment to help them pay down debt and finance stadium plans and will hope these accounts help that search.

The increase in revenue was largely due to a 60% increase in the Premier League TV deal but there were increases in merchandise and commercial income in 2007-08.

The clubs is also expecting a boost from its online division Liverpool.tv, which it now owns outright having bought Granada’s 50% stake in March last year. It contributed £5m to profits in 2007-08 and the club is are forecasting that it will generate upwards of £10m annually.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5408698/Liverpool-to-reveal-increased-profits-at-Anfield.html

Nice to see random abuse thrown at me from the same few people in this thread with no provocation :)

You are fast cementing your place as a manc troll tbh. Some of your posts are no better than people like moj and pires who you openly mock yourself. Have a word with yourself, and if you don't like getting flamed in here then stay away - problem sorted :)

Coldberg just **** off. Noone has to justify giving you abuse as you are just a total gimp with nothing constructive to say. Noone is arsed about your opinion even on the odd ocassions you are trying to make a serious point as you are a garbage poster.

Go and wallow in your own thread with that Russian and Icelandic idiot.

3 times.

Actually I did come in here making valid points yet got called a **** and/or troll for it so my view now is that I might aswell troll because the reaction I get is the same :)

But you can all keep throwing the uncalled for abuse out, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Going to assume benkeat was abused by a United fan when younger with the recent outbursts towards me.

About the accounts I have another link here http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/30/liverpool-fc-in-profit-but-club-s-debts-have-doubled-100252-23748619/

£86 million debt isn't a lot for a club like Liverpool is it? I thought we were more in debt, obviously we can't afford it to double every year though.

I was asking how many games/how much playing time you could give Gudjohnsen if he went to you? I know the likelyhood of it happening isn't great, just wondering.

Sorry I'm not interesting enough, btw :thdn:

I don't really think he'd get too many games, cant see him playing up top when Torres is out. I guess he'd play in the Gerrard role, many Alonso's as well.

Would only be a back up though.

Wouldn't like to see him at anfield though. Not a big fan of him personlly, although i hear he's a big fan of mine. ;)

hey coldberg, question since nobody in here had the brains to ask about it

you maintain that taking 14 from 18 off the top four is fluke and not something that liverpool can rely on next season

in that case, where do you stand on manchester taking 76 from 78 off the sides 8th-20th?

If i could just translate that last post-

"Hey Coldberg, i just heard this stat about Man United and thought i could use it in that arguement that was doing the rounds the other day. Might aswell get a dig in at the rest of the thread while i'm at it".

Not trolling or anything, but the Liverpool/Utd 'banter' on this forum is just ridiculous and pretty cringeworthy now tbh. Quite a few posters are consistently embarrassing themselves.

I have a feeling it'll be 10 times worse next season too. Would be nice to see some constructive debates between both sets of fans regarding eachothers teams, but I can't see that happening :D

hey coldberg, question since nobody in here had the brains to ask about it

you maintain that taking 14 from 18 off the top four is fluke and not something that liverpool can rely on next season

in that case, where do you stand on manchester taking 76 from 78 off the sides 8th-20th?

Well United's strength has always been winning the games which other teams drops points in. We've consistently done this season after season, it's not really an anamlous occurence. This season we weren't at our best against the 'lesser' teams yet still got those vital goals to give us the three points we needed to retain the league.

My point about the results against the top 3 sides is more pertinent as any change in those results next season results in a bigger swing with regard to the two teams positions. You kind of get a double bonus for the win (in that you stop them winning whilst getting the 3 points & every goal you win by is bascically doubled in the GD column). Say the two games between Liverpool & United this season had ended in draws then the league would've been won by 10 points & not 4 (if Untied had won both it would've been a 16 point win). If for example next season we only draw with say Wigan rather than beating them then it's only two points worse off & Liverpool wouldn't get the 'double' benefit from the result. If next season we draw with Liverpool then that's 2 points less for Liverpool but one more for United giving a swing of 3 points total.

I don't think I am explaining it very well but it's a million degrees outside & I cannot stop sneezing.

In simple terms your final league position this season is mainly down to the results you gained in 'big 4' games. United still won the league despite having an average season with regards those results. Liverpool had a season well above average which they cannot rely on next season. Sure it could happen again but it's pretty unlikely.

My original point on this matter wasn't in the vein of 'haha you did brilliantly against the top teams but still failed' it was in the same tone as this post (only not as detailed with my thoughts).

Over the course of the season it's the results agaisnt the 'lesser' teams that matter, anything against the other big 3 is a big bonus.

The only reason I even posted originally was because there were a fair few people in the thread posting stuff along the lines of "just think if we had won a couple of the games we drew then the league would've been ours" when it's really not that simple due to the reasoning explained above. If next season you do as well against the top 3 again then fair enough but as it stands currently & looking back at past season then this season is the exception rather than the norm.

Not trolling or anything, but the Liverpool/Utd 'banter' on this forum is just ridiculous and pretty cringeworthy now tbh. Quite a few posters are consistently embarrassing themselves.

I have a feeling it'll be 10 times worse next season too. Would be nice to see some constructive debates between both sets of fans regarding eachothers teams, but I can't see that happening :D

We probably could have a good discussion with people like you, but not with Coldberg who's only aim seems to wind us up, then tries to deny it when confronted.

Sitting on the Barca bench > Sitting on the Liverpool bench.

If that isnt being a WUM then i dont really know what is.

I also expect him to pick out some punctuation errors but you know.

Well United's strength has always been winning the games which other teams drops points in. We've consistently done this season after season, it's not really an anamlous occurence. This season we weren't at our best against the 'lesser' teams yet still got those vital goals to give us the three points we needed to retain the league.

My point about the results against the top 3 sides is more pertinent as any change in those results next season results in a bigger swing with regard to the two teams positions. You kind of get a double bonus for the win (in that you stop them winning whilst getting the 3 points & every goal you win by is bascically doubled in the GD column). Say the two games between Liverpool & United this season had ended in draws then the league would've been won by 10 points & not 4 (if Untied had won both it would've been a 16 point win). If for example next season we only draw with say Wigan rather than beating them then it's only two points worse off & Liverpool wouldn't get the 'double' benefit from the result. If next season we draw with Liverpool then that's 2 points less for Liverpool but one more for United giving a swing of 3 points total.

I don't think I am explaining it very well but it's a million degrees outside & I cannot stop sneezing.

In simple terms your final league position this season is mainly down to the results you gained in 'big 4' games. United still won the league despite having an average season with regards those results. Liverpool had a season well above average which they cannot rely on next season. Sure it could happen again but it's pretty unlikely.

My original point on this matter wasn't in the vein of 'haha you did brilliantly against the top teams but still failed' it was in the same tone as this post (only not as detailed with my thoughts).

Over the course of the season it's the results agaisnt the 'lesser' teams that matter, anything against the other big 3 is a big bonus.

The only reason I even posted originally was because there were a fair few people in the thread posting stuff along the lines of "just think if we had won a couple of the games we drew then the league would've been ours" when it's really not that simple due to the reasoning explained above. If next season you do as well against the top 3 again then fair enough but as it stands currently & looking back at past season then this season is the exception rather than the norm.

But looking at this season and leaving all the other teams the same we would have won the league?

Or did you mean the people saying that winning 14/18 will be the norm now? You weren't very clear.

We probably could have a good discussion with people like you, but not with Coldberg who's only aim seems to wind us up, then tries to deny it when confronted.

If that isnt being a WUM then i dont really know what is.

I also expect him to pick out some punctuation errors but you know.

tbf it works both ways. People like Monkeywool are far worse than Coldberg ffs. It's all a bit embarrassing anyway. Just basically post after post of "OMG we are the better club" then "OMG no, we are".

Yeah we have some people like Coldberg too, but AFAIK most of them stay in our thread, dont take my word on that though cause some of them might

Bit of both really. Whilst it's true you would've won the league having won a couple of the drawn games, next season you are unlikely to get 14/18 again. Your GD this season was better than United's but the 4-1 gave you a GD swing of 6 which helped massively. I just think people don't tend to look at the smaller reasons for why Liverpool did better this season. The biggest improvement came in an area where you cannot consistently guarantee it. Meanwhile the area where you've been failing really wasn't improved much at all. However it's glossed over somewhat because it's the highest points total the club has achieved in the PL.

Basically the statement is fine if taking loads of points from big 4 games becomes the norm. Just think, a couple of seasons ago Benitez couldn't get a result in one of those games to save his job.

Finally, how is my statement about the Barca bench beating the Liverpool bench trolling? Better weather, better city, better ground. Of all the things I have posted recently that statement was possibly the thing I was most serious about. The statement Barca's bench > United's bench is just as true.

If thats aimed at me in any way your wrong, first time since the old days i've posted anything about you, rarely post anything that could wind somebody up tbh

And its because everybody knows it, but you dont have to post it really

Archived