Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

First I've heard about that, any info on specifics?

It was the 1st leg in the champs league semi when gudjohnson dived to get xabi booked and missed the 2nd leg. According to gerrards autobiography, him and cares were raging.

Tony I saw that on the Liverpool forum last night and I hope it isn't true as I don't like the idea of another 2 quality players added.

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool's players have told manager Rafael Benitez that he should bring Newcastle striker Michael Owen back to Anfield.

(Full story: The People)

Rafa doesn't rate Owen at all, and seeing as the boss has full control of transfers, I don't see that one happening. Owen should go join another gravy train somewhere.

It was the 1st leg in the champs league semi when gudjohnson dived to get xabi booked and missed the 2nd leg. According to gerrards autobiography, him and cares were raging.

Tony I saw that on the Liverpool forum last night and I hope it isn't true as I don't like the idea of another 2 quality players added.

yeah, but we went on and beat them, im sure they've raged against a lot of players but its not like gerrards never dived is it.

Not reliable source but still news

Liverpool and Real Madrid have reached an agreement over Xabi Alonso, and the player will be presented next week, according to reports.

According to Sport, the two clubs have settled on terms and all the remains is the player's signature. The initial transfer fee is €25 million, but the fee could increase depending on whether or not Liverpool can come to an agreement with Gabriel Heinze, who could be part of the deal.

Alonso is expected to sign a five-year contract and will be presented next week, when he will be in Madrid for the Spanish training camp ahead of the Confederations Cup.

It is believed that Liverpool also tried to involve Alvaro Negredo in the discussions, but that was not a viable option, since Madrid would have had to pay €15 million just to exercise their buy-out clause with Almeria.

Rumours are also suggesting that Florentino Perez will present his new coach next Monday, with Manuel Pellegrini the overwhelming favourite.

Alonso is likely to be the first of many signings over the summer, with Perez expected to spend in excess of €300 million.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2009/05/31/1296373/real-madrid--liverpool-reach-xabi-alonso-agreement-report

Not believing that for a second. Classic presidential candidate tactics to boost their campaign ahead of the elections.

I don't doubt for a second that he would like Xabi, but there is no way we've agreed a deal with a man who isn't even in power yet.

I reckon he's going. Despite all of Rafa's insistance the other way, he's stopped short of a really convincing 'he will be here next season' imo. Saying 'We are happy with him, we don't need to sell him' could so easily be tactics. Last summer Rafa left himself so open by letting it be known publically that Alonso was avaliable, meaning we were considering bids as low as £13-14m. This time around he's holding all the cards. But i do think the right bid will get him.

Not believing that for a second. Classic presidential candidate tactics to boost their campaign ahead of the elections.

I don't doubt for a second that he would like Xabi, but there is no way we've agreed a deal with a man who isn't even in power yet.

The only problem is that he's currently running unopposed and will automatically become president unless someone announces themselves as a candidate and lodges around 50m as security by the end of today. Not saying it's true but I don't think this is a campaigning ploy

I reckon he's going. Despite all of Rafa's insistance the other way, he's stopped short of a really convincing 'he will be here next season' imo. Saying 'We are happy with him, we don't need to sell him' could so easily be tactics. Last summer Rafa left himself so open by letting it be known publically that Alonso was avaliable, meaning we were considering bids as low as £13-14m. This time around he's holding all the cards. But i do think the right bid will get him.

IF Alonso leaves it will only be because Alonso wants to leave. Rafa doesn't want to sell him and has made it perfectly clear.

I don't see any reason why Alonso would want to leave other than the manager letting it be known he's not in his long term plans.

Even with everything Rafa has said recently i still don't think he's convinced on Xabi.

I don't see any reason why Alonso would want to leave other than the manager letting it be known he's not in his long term plans.

Even with everything Rafa has said recently i still don't think he's convinced on Xabi.

I think Rafa had questions over Xabi last season and he alluded to that last night in the review. He said Xabi was excellent first season and then his form dipped in the 2nd and 3rd seasons (he did acknowledge that the 2 metatarsal injuries in his 3rd year didn't help) even though the club had given him a new long term contract. I still say last summer Rafa gave Xabi a kick up the arse by saying he would accept a certain price for him, just to make it known he wasn't untouchable and he would have to improve his game if he wanted to stay. This obviously worked and Xabi raised his game to the heights it is now, therefore Rafa is happy with him when he is showing that level of form. There is no reason for Rafa to sell Xabi if he keeps playing really well.

Would be a huge step backwards to sell Alonso, which is why Rafa won't do it. I think some of our fans are still haunted at the prospect of losing him last summer, and will never trust Rafa 100% over Alonso ever again.

IF Alonso leaves it will only be because Alonso wants to leave. Rafa doesn't want to sell him and has made it perfectly clear.

From what I gather, Xabi wants to stay. What remains to be seen is if we get a huge bid, will Rafa be tempted?

Todays rumours

Chelsea and Liverpool are battling it out for Paris St Germain midfielder Stephane Sessegnon - who is rated at around £12m.

(Full story: News of the World)

Liverpool's players have told manager Rafael Benitez that he should bring Newcastle striker Michael Owen back to Anfield.

(Full story: The People)

Sunday Mirror claims Tom Hicks and George Gillet are going to commit to the club by landing a £350 million refinancing deal. The move could also bring an improved summer budget. Javi Martinez has also issued a come and get me plea according to the paper. Tom Hicks and Georgoe Gillet feel they can manage a new loan quite easily aftere the club increased its profits to a record £40 million. Deal will hinge on Gillet and hicks pouring more of their own finance into Anfield and the pair are looking to raise funds by selling some of their other sporting assets.

Article in full

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are set to issue a statement of intent about their long-term commitment to the club by landing a £350million refinancing deal.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal that accountants from the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wells Fargo are currently examining Liverpool's financial figures with a view to agreeing a loan package that will ease the pressure on the two Americans.

The move could also bring an improved summer transfer budget for manager Rafa Benitez, who has made Carlos Tevez (right) his No.1 target, but is unable to meet the £25.5m price being asked by the Argentine's owners.

The deal will hinge on Hicks and Gillett pouring more of their own personal finance into Anfield - and the pair are looking to raise funds by selling off some of their other sporting interests in the United States.

Hicks is ready to sell his majority stake in baseball club Texas Rangers while Gillett is searching for a buyer for the ice hockey outfit Montreal Canadiens to generate cash. But with Liverpool set to announce record turnover and increased profits of almost £40m this week, there is increased confidence that the club can easily service a new loan agreement.

An insider said: "Despite claims to the contrary, both owners have spent about £80m of their own money on Liverpool over the past two years.

"They have done so because they are committed to the club and because they always believed a new refinancing package would be agreed.

"The new deal is now very close to happening."

The existing loan taken out to finance the initial purchase of the club is set to expire in July - and there were worries that the credit crunch would force Hicks and Gillett to sell.

But both men have healed the personal rift which saw Gillett trying to find a buyer for his 50 per cent stake in the club. And there was a growing confidence inside Anfield that they could win an extension of the loan facility anyway thanks to the club's profitability.

But now they are on the verge of agreeing a deal that will give them the scope to press ahead with their ambitious plans.

Top of the agenda will be to find investors to fund a new stadium at Stanley Park.

One thing that worries me about these articles is that people will believe stories like this and if, we buy some top players and challenge then things will be all well. We will be nowhere nearer to being able to build our new ground, as that article states and our debts have increased. I cannot wait until they have gone but I think it will be a long time waiting. I don't think we will see any work on the stadium for at least 3 or 4 years.

I agree. Last season he was underperforming and the sale would've been justifiable. Now it's just illogical unless we're offered silly money.

yea i wasn't fussed about it last year, he was average while barry was excellent. alonso's definitely stepped up to it and showed exactly what he can do this season and has arguably been are best and most consistant player, although it has to be said barry hasn't dipped in form at all and has had another excellent season.

i would prefer rafa to not try and mess with the first team too much at this stage now we're so close, if alonso's happy it seems stupid to change things.

I don't think Rafa will sell any of the first team squad tbh, other than Dossena and maybe Degen (not counting Sami and the players out on loan as I think they will be sold). He said yesterday that he wanted Babel to continue improving with us next season so I take it he will be staying too.

RAFA RUBBISHES ALONSO DEAL CLAIMS

Paul Hassall 31 May 2009

Rafa Benitez has rubbished reports in the Spanish media that an agreement has been reached with Real Madrid for the transfer of Xabi Alonso.

The midfielder has been linked with a move away from Anfield this summer but the Reds boss has poured cold water on suggestions the Spain international is set to leave.

The Liverpool manager said: "The situation is clear, we do not want to sell our best players and that includes Xabi.

"He had a very good season for us and can be an important player in the future. There is no agreement with Real and we want him to be part of our plans going forward.

"Xabi himself told our club magazine only two weeks ago that he was looking forward to his sixth season as a Liverpool player. Why should he want to leave now?"

Benitez added: "Xabi's agent came to see me recently to talk about the future. It was a surprise for me and I pointed out to him there were three years left on Xabi's contract.

"I asked him if the player was happy in Liverpool and he said yes. It was a short meeting."

Can't be more clear than that tbf.

It's just the way he words things. I don't know whether i'm reading into it too much or Rafa is being very clever.

"The situation is clear, WE DO NOT WANT want to sell our best players and that includes Xabi.

He had a very good season for us and CAN be an important player in the future. There is no agreement with Real and WE WANT him to be part of our plans going forward."

Not 'he will be part of our plans, we will not sell our best players'.

And then the stuff with the agent, if everything was fine and dandy, why is his agent coming to see him?

I probably am reading too much into it.

I think its just the fact you don't trust Rafa that much Ben.

His agent probably came fishing for an improved deal and Rafa said something like "get in line, you got your new deal not long ago".

Maybe, maybe not. Just seems like a lot of smoke for no fire and i think Rafa's responses are pretty non-comittal. Can you at lease see where i'm coming from? Or am i actually being paranoid?

Hope he stays anyway.

Maybe, maybe not. Just seems like a lot of smoke for no fire and i think Rafa's responses are pretty non-comittal. Can you at lease see where i'm coming from? Or am i actually being paranoid?

Hope he stays anyway.

I think if last season's whole situation hadn't happened then you would see that response by Rafa regarding Alonso leaving this summer and think "champion, he is going nowhere, end of story". But as I said earlier some Liverpool fans will never trust Rafa totally, and especially when it comes down to Xabi. I can understand why as they don't want Xabi to be forced out and there were a lot of unsubstantiated stories in the media about Xabi and Rafa falling out. However I could also understand why Rafa said what he did last summer as Xabi was nowhere near the player he is now and needed a kick up the backside.

At the end of the day it really does come down to how much you trust the motives of Rafa, Xabi and the papers. I will trust Rafa and Xabi's quotes in the papers, not the other words of the journo that make up the whole article.

Alonso didnt need a kick up the backside. He was out for months with a broken metertsal and possibly came back too soon and didnt look fit enough (see Luton and Barnsley games in the FA cup). He wasnt too bad towards the end of the season and had a great summer with Spain.

I've said before i dont beleive anything with no quotes from any of the people involved

You have to ask, why would Xabi want to go to Madrid anyway? He's not guarenteed 1st team football like he is here, and we have more of a chance of winning something than them IMO

Not wanting to pick over the bones out of a newly relegated club, but Betis got relegated tonight and they have a decent wideman/striker called Sergio Garcia who we were linked with a year or two ago.

Wonder if Rafa sticks a bid in for him as he may go pretty cheaply and he looked a decent player whenever I have seen him.

I've said before i dont beleive anything with no quotes from any of the people involved

You have to ask, why would Xabi want to go to Madrid anyway? He's not guarenteed 1st team football like he is here, and we have more of a chance of winning something than them IMO

Real Madrid are a bigger club than Liverpool.

Gago plays every week and Alonso is better than him, so I'd say he has a really good chance of playing regularly for them.

Real Madrid easily won the league last season. Depending on whoever won the league, the other side(Barca/Real Madrid) always seem to raise their game the season after. I'd be amazed if Barca win the league next season as easily as they've done this season.

Long haired fella?

Aye thats him. Trouble is the last 2 sides he has played for were relegated so it may not be such a good idea :D

Seriously though, he was linked with us last summer, as well as Spurs, and I would assume Rafa has him on his radar. Might be worth watching what happens here.

Aye thats him. Trouble is the last 2 sides he has played for were relegated so it may not be such a good idea :D

Seriously though, he was linked with us last summer, as well as Spurs, and I would assume Rafa has him on his radar. Might be worth watching what happens here.

Yeah, I know of him. Not a bad squad player to add but again its the situation of is it worth adding his fee to another big name.

Can't see Real getting Kaka, but I suppose it depends on who replaces Ancelotti at Milan as to whether he leaves at all. Rafa won't sell Xabi unless he puts in a transfer request. To me all this talk of a project at Real is nothing more than propaganda, and they won't bring in any players until there's a new president and a new manager in place. So we can relax for a few weeks yet.

Archived