Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be interested to know where you'll finance the move from. If rumours are to be believed you can barely raise the £17m to sign Barry, so how do you plan on spending £20m on Keane?

we are probably around £10m up on transfers so far for the summer add to the money we had already which was supposedly around the £15 - £20 mark. not to mention losing kewell who was one of the highest wage earners.

• 2 months later...

Fixtures

Rafael Benitez - Manager

Sammy Lee - Assistant Manager

Squad:

3. Steve Finnan

4. Sami Hyypia

5. Daniel Agger

6. John Arne Riise

8. Steven Gerrard

9. Fernando Torres

10. Andriy Voronin

11. Yossi Benayoun

12. Fabio Aurelio

14. Xabi Alonso

15. Peter Crouch

16. Jermaine Pennant

17. Alvaro Arbeloa

18. Dirk Kuyt

19. Ryan Babel

20. Javier Mascherano

21. Lucas Leiva

23. Jamie Carragher

25. Pepe Reina

30. Charles Itandje

33. Sebastian Leto

34. Jay Spearing

35. Ray Putterill

36. Ryan Flynn

37. Martin Skrtel

38. Craig Lindfield

39. Stephen Darby

40. David Martin

42. Nabil El Zhar

44. Robbie Threlfall

45. Mikel San Jose Dominguez

46. Jack Hobbs

47. Damien Plessis

48. Emiliano Insua

- Anthony Le Tallec

- Adam Hammill

- Scott Carson

- Francisco Duran

- Krisztian Nemeth

- Peter Gulacsi

- Paul Anderson

- Gerardo Alfredo Bruna Blanco

- Daniel Sanchez Ayala

- Daniel Pacheco

- Martin Kelly

- Dean Bouzanis

- Jordy Brouwer

- Ryan Crowther

- Andras Simon

- Martin Hansen

- Ronald Huth

- Danny Guthrie

- Godwin Antwi

- Miki Roque

- Philip Degen

No 1,2 or 7 numbered.

Expected out: Alonso (Juve), Riise (Roma)

Expected in: Barry (Villa), Dossena (Udinese)

Enjoy

Any remote possibility of David Villa heading to Anfield probably over seeing as he wants to stay in Spain.

Is it me or do we some to have a smaller net transfer kitty then 80 percent of the Premiership this season.

Based on the likely ins and outs predicted at the moment I reckon we have a net spend of roughly £15m.

Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Anthony Le Tallec

didnt realise he was still there, thought he was long gone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has been on loan for 4 years so I think his contract must nerely be up.

Originally posted by bell:

Any remote possibility of David Villa heading to Anfield probably over seeing as he wants to stay in Spain.

Is Rafa not pretty much wedded to the idea of playing one up front most of the time anyway? Or is that more down to the lack of a suitable partner for Torres?

Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Anthony Le Tallec

didnt realise he was still there, thought he was long gone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah he is still with us i think ged gave him a 6 year contract. i think it has run out now.

Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Is Rafa not pretty much wedded to the idea of playing one up front most of the time anyway? Or is that more down to the lack of a suitable partner for Torres? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of both, his time at Valencia suggests he prefers the 4-5-1, but I think he'd quite happily play 4-4-2 if we had Villa.

Does anyone else think Bentley is not the kind of player we should be looking at?

If he's going to cost as much as I'd imagine it's important he has the ability to make a worthwhile contribution against the biggest sides in the division.

The club have to start picking up more points from the top three if we're going to get anywhere near challenging for an automatic Champions League position, let alone the title.

Does he have the ability to turn games of those sizes? I'm not so sure.

Originally posted by Elim:

Does anyone else think Bentley is not the kind of player we should be looking at?

If he's going to cost as much as I'd imagine it's important he has the ability to make a worthwhile contribution against the biggest sides in the division.

The club have to start picking up more points from the top three if we're going to get anywhere near challenging for an automatic Champions League position, let alone the title.

Does he have the ability to turn games of those sizes? I'm not so sure.

It's all to do with the price really. If the price is right then I'd be all for signing him and would be very pleased with Bentley as our new right sided player. Whether he can turn one of the big games is hard to tell, but I believe he could do it.

Certaonly got the mindset for it, or rather the ego, and I think he's got the ability too. However while he might be good enough to be in our first xi, he seems to me like he's operating at nearly the top of his potential already. I'll be happy if we get him, but him and Babel on the wings isn't really good enough.

Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Certaonly got the mindset for it, or rather the ego, and I think he's got the ability too. However while he might be good enough to be in our first xi, he seems to me like he's operating at nearly the top of his potential already. I'll be happy if we get him, but him and Babel on the wings isn't really good enough.

I think Bentley and Babel are good enough for now. Realistically who could we get that is better than them? I can't think of any wingers we could afford other than Bentley except Silva, and he wouldn't join us over the host of clubs that would be after him.

Yeah Silva was my main thought when writing that, maybe Quseamareassea too. It's a pity Vicente and Joaquin have gone a bit downhill the last couple of season (though I think they both did quite well this season?).

I guess I just want a winger that has everything, but they are few and far between.

Let's just get Ronaldinho \o/

Actually, ideally I'd like to stick Gerrard out on the right and bring in a creative, goal controlling amc in his place. Someone that can dictate the pace of the game, but I don't see it happening.

Or stick Gerrard out right and get Villa in his place. icon14.gif

Originally posted by bell:

David Bentley is the only English player to score a hat-trick vs Man Utd in the Premierhsip era, surely that suggests he has the attitude and pedigree for a big game.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. The previous player to do that was Dennis Bailey who managed it at Old Trafford, did the same apply to him?

Originally posted by J4m1e:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Actually, ideally I'd like to stick Gerrard out on the right and bring in a creative, goal controlling amc in his place. Someone that can dictate the pace of the game, but I don't see it happening.

Or stick Gerrard out right and get Villa in his place. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or that

Yeah Silva was my main thought when writing that, maybe Quseamareassea too. It's a pity Vicente and Joaquin have gone a bit downhill the last couple of season (though I think they both did quite well this season?).

I guess I just want a winger that has everything, but they are few and far between.

Let's just get Ronaldinho \o/

Joaquin suffered along with the rest of the Valencia players, but I don't believe there's ever been a better time to put in a cheeky bid for him.

Unless he can't bring himself to leave Spain, which has been suggested in the past.

Originally posted by J4m1e:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Rafalution:

Or stick Gerrard out right and get Villa in his place. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking that the other day watching Spain, Villa seemed to be dropping into the hole quite alot.

Nope I didn't, and please tell me it's not grey...

Anyway, Ballague has said we're in for a "nice suprise" and that we've made a few bits to distract from other offers. Surely he's got to get something right again, use to get alot right but now it's just guesswork.

Originally posted by chrissybabe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

David Bentley is the only English player to score a hat-trick vs Man Utd in the Premierhsip era, surely that suggests he has the attitude and pedigree for a big game.

Surely </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Kevin Lisbie scored a hattrick vs us, must also have big game pedigree.

Archived