Official Spain WC thread

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20,000 went to watch Spain train yesterday. These people need jobs.

Ensayo_general_Espana_plena_euforia.jpg

Girlfriend's brother and mum are up there at the moment. His school have taken him up there, apparently all the dads have gone as well :D

Team tonight will probably be Casillas; Arbeloa, Puyol, Piqué, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso; Silva, Xavi, Iniesta; y Villa.

So the team that will start the World Cup, except Sergio Ramos.

Quite looking forward to it actually.

capde has to be in there for the japes, no doubt. but I think (for some reason) del bosque prefers arbeloa.

torres has been working his spanish ass off in training, so it'll be nice to see him and his rewind atlético hair-do grace the condomina.

Spain's win bonus criticised ...

The Spain captain, Iker Casillas, has hit back at criticism over the cash bonus each player will be paid if the European champions win the World Cup in South Africa.

Reports in Spain suggest Casillas and his team-mates will each get €600,000 (almost £500,000) should they win Spain's first World Cup, the largest bonus among major contenders.

A spokeswoman for the Spanish football federation would not confirm the amount, which was negotiated with the federation by Casillas and his two vice-captains, Xavi and Carles Puyol.

"It's an issue that always comes up," Casillas said during preparations for Spain's final warm-up match against Poland in Murcia tomorrow.

"You can comment and talk, especially at this time when everyone is suffering," he added, referring to the economic crisis and soaring unemployment gripping Spain. "And I include myself in that because I have family and friends and cousins and they are also hurting because of the crisis. Everyone sees it one way, as they want, but you shouldn't mix one thing up with the other."

Marca reported last week that Spain's potential bonus is greater than the €510,000 (£420,000) each of the Argentina players would get for winning the trophy.

Other bonuses included €475,000 (£390,000) for England, €390,000 (£320,000) for France and €180,000 (£148,000) for Brazil, the paper said, without identifying the source of its information.

The Spain midfielder Andrés Iniesta was also asked about the bonus and praised his captain's stance.

"I think Iker answered very well," he said. "We don't like non-soccer issues much but there you go. Everyone has their point of view and some think it's good and some think it's bad.

"It's not something we can defend much, everyone is free to give an opinion."

I am not sure what the problem is here, they're getting a lot and there are starving people in the world .. welcome to football. They're not exactly getting loads more than other countries, someone needs to get the most.

If it was double the nearest then mention it, even then, they get what they get, if they can afford it then pay it if you want. The players are trying to win with or without a bonus

I don't whether this was on tele or if people saw it, but I'd say it was some of the best football I've ever seen in person. Especially in the first half, some of the little triangles between Iniesta, Capde and Xavi (or whoever) were outstanding.

Iniesta played for 38 minutes and was outrageous. I've seen him, Messi and Xavi play well for Barca, but I've never seen anyone so effortless on the ball. The way he played it out of tight spaces is something Lampard, Gerrard etc can't even dream of, and then he was bursting past players every time he had a bit of space. Incredible player.

Second goal was ridiculous.

Don't really need to say much more, everyone was fantastic. Cesc and Torres both looked sharp when they came on and got a goal each. Got a wave from mate Cesc as well :*) Props to Torres for the throwback haircut.

Was the first time I've seen Pedro play (I think), and he was impressive. Found the space well and his turn of pace to beat a defender is superb.

Polish fans were hardcore. About 200 of them, singing the whole match. They had balloons and flares as well. People were booing when they got the flairs out, booing for giving it a bit of life. Boring *****. Went off though, there was one bloke sitting on the railing, waving his arms and that, getting everyone singing. 5 minutes later he's got 6 riot police dragging him down the stairs swinging their batons. So a few other people got involved, few people chucking bottles, I saw one bloke getting smashed round the head with a baton repeatedly, was quite nasty.

Oh yeah, best bit was me swaggering my way into the VIP area before the match, and making the most of the free bar and jelly babies.

Anyway, goals.

I don't whether this was on tele or if people saw it, but I'd say it was some of the best football I've ever seen in person. Especially in the first half, some of the little triangles between Iniesta, Capde and Xavi (or whoever) were outstanding.

Iniesta played for 38 minutes and was outrageous. I've seen him, Messi and Xavi play well for Barca, but I've never seen anyone so effortless on the ball. The way he played it out of tight spaces is something Lampard, Gerrard etc can't even dream of, and then he was bursting past players every time he had a bit of space. Incredible player.

Second goal was ridiculous.

Don't really need to say much more, everyone was fantastic. Cesc and Torres both looked sharp when they came on and got a goal each. Got a wave from mate Cesc as well :*) Props to Torres for the throwback haircut.

Was the first time I've seen Pedro play (I think), and he was impressive. Found the space well and his turn of pace to beat a defender is superb.

Polish fans were hardcore. About 200 of them, singing the whole match. They had balloons and flares as well. People were booing when they got the flairs out, booing for giving it a bit of life. Boring *****. Went off though, there was one bloke sitting on the railing, waving his arms and that, getting everyone singing. 5 minutes later he's got 6 riot police dragging him down the stairs swinging their batons. So a few other people got involved, few people chucking bottles, I saw one bloke getting smashed round the head with a baton repeatedly, was quite nasty.

Oh yeah, best bit was me swaggering my way into the VIP area before the match, and making the most of the free bar and jelly babies.

Anyway, goals.

That's because Iniesta is the best footballer since Zidane. Just hope he can avoid all those injuries because it should be his WC.

And I'm starting to wonder if Pedro has the best control orientado.

polish.jpg

Why will Iniesta not start? His injury is not serious.

He's not 100% fit, and neither is Torres. I'd imagine they'll get 15-20 minutes in the first game, and then maybe a bit longer in the second, depending on how things are going.

They've still got quality, quality players like Alonso, Fabregas and Pedro to rely on, and I personally don't think they'll take the risk against, and no disrespect here, teams like Switzerland and Honduras.

Archived