Official Spain WC thread

I don't want to be rude, not right now, but the Busquets hate is... well, I will leave that. And then suggesting that Arteta doesn't get a chance because he doesn't have a famous father?

Arteta is a good player, but he didn't get snubbed.

It doesn't surprise me who is making those comments, though.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arteta is a quality player who would walk into most national teams. Its just spain have an embarrassment of talent in CM but to call him overrated is laughable.

He's overrated in that he's being compared to the likes of Cesc. I don't think he's a bad player just that he's not as good as Spain's CM's.

I don't want to be rude, not right now, but the Busquets hate is... well, I will leave that. And then suggesting that Arteta doesn't get a chance because he doesn't have a famous father?

Arteta is a good player, but he didn't got snubbed.

It doesn't surprise me who is making those comments, though.

es claro que él no ve o entiende el fútbol!

but Busquets' father has nothing to do with anything. Pep doesn't select players based on rubbish like that, and it was him who brought Sergio into the first team.

Guess who played with Pep in Barcelona in the majority of the 90's and came from the Cantera as well :D

I made a mistake in my OP though, he was only a backup GK

Which makes me wonder if Pep realized his mistake and tried to get Mascherano in the summer

Noob21 is one reason

Now Now, that's the Barca tinted glasses you're using

I hope Busquets scores the winning goal in the world cup final just to see Samba's reaction .

Might not change anything, I've never like Rivaldo and his smug a** :D and he's eons from Biscuits

I would be delighted to see Busquets score the winning goal in the final, as long as it's not against England.

I have nothing against him personally, I just don't think he's very good. Is that hard to understand?

Moving on, assuming that Spain play with Busquets (as seems likely) which of Iniesta/Silva/Villa/Fernando Torres misses out? Del Bosque can't fit them all in.

Why is this thread so embarrassing :(

Probably because Spain won something last time round so they a lot more people claim to be supporters/ followers.

To be cut:

Lopez

De Gea

Azpiliceuta

Negredo

Navas/ Cazorla

Guiza

Mata (which is a shame)

I personally would have liked to have seen Pablo in there, but I guess its unfortunate he's up against such luminaries for a mere squad place. With regards to Navas, has his homesickness issue been sorted out? He's probably had a better season than Mata and Cazorla but will he be able to stick out the tournament and be in the correct mindset?

I would be delighted to see Busquets score the winning goal in the final, as long as it's not against England.

I have nothing against him personally, I just don't think he's very good. Is that hard to understand?

Moving on, assuming that Spain play with Busquets (as seems likely) which of Iniesta/Silva/Villa/Fernando Torres misses out? Del Bosque can't fit them all in.

He can:

GK; DEFENCE; Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, David Silva; Villa, Torres

Just like at Euro 2008, but with Busquets in place of Senna. Good old 4-4-2.

Or he could play David Villa out wide (as Yovan suggested a couple of pages back), Iniesta in the middle, David Silva on the other flank. 4-3-3.

So in essence, it would be Xabi Alonso that misses out in both systems.

Guest roberto922
Saw a ridiculous rumour linking Arteta to Arsenal. He's a good player but he gets overrated and rightfully isn't in the Spain squad.

Oh wow :D In what way is he overrated or are the rumours with Arsenal ridiculous (other than the fact he's on the verge of signing a new contract)? The rumour was on the basis that Fabregas leaves, and he'd be a great replacement for him, who ever compared him to Fabregas anyway? Saying a player would be a good replacement is not the same as saying he's as good as him.

Oh wow :D In what way is he overrated or are the rumours with Arsenal ridiculous (other than the fact he's on the verge of signing a new contract)? The rumour was on the basis that Fabregas leaves, and he'd be a great replacement for him, who ever compared him to Fabregas anyway? Saying a player would be a good replacement is not the same as saying he's as good as him.

The links with him to Arsenal are ridiculous because Wenger would never sign him in a million years. Just not the sort of singing Wenger makes, would be to expensive for a start.

He's overrated in that some people seem to think he's at a level only just below the likes of Fabregas and Xavi when in fact he's not even close to them. He's a good player who would probably get into almost every team in the premier league but he's a class below the likes of Fabregas and Xavi.

Show me where people say just how good or not Arteta is full stop? I'm not saying everyone think he's brilliant but some Everton fans do seem to think he's perhaps better than he is. Saying he's overrated was probably a bit OTT from me. But the point still stands that due to Spain's brilliance he shouldn't be in the squad.

Look I was just getting annoyed at Arteta continually being brought up when it's clear that he will never even have a chance of being called up unless he moves back to Spain or moves to a top 4 team in England. It's not as if he's the only brilliant player who can't get in the Spain squad.

Guest roberto922

Why do I need to show how good people think he is? I'm not the one claiming that some fans think he's just below two of the best CMs in the world, the highest praise I've seen from fans possessing common sense is that he's a superb player, which is hardly overstepping the mark, in fact I tend to see higher praise from non Evertonians than Everton fans, but it's much easier for you to stick in the good old bias argument to suit your purpose

World Cup 2010: Spain Squad - Barcelona Stars Victor Valdes & Pedro Make Vicente del Bosque's Final 23

La Furia Roja have released their 23-man squad for South Africa 2010.
Spain's 23-man World Cup squad in full

[b]Goalkeepers	[/b]
Iker Casillas		Real Madrid
Pepe Reina		Liverpool (ENG)
Victor Valdes		Barcelona

[b]Defenders[/b]	
Sergio Ramos		Real Madrid
Alvaro Arbeloa		Real Madrid
Carles Puyol		Barcelona
Gerard Pique		Barcelona
Raul Albiol		Real Madrid
Carlos Marchena		Valencia
Joan Capdevila		Villarreal

[b]Midfielders[/b]	
Jesus Navas		Sevilla
Xabi Alonso		Real Madrid
Xavi			Barcelona
Javi Martinez		Athletic Bilbao
Cesc Fabregas         	Arsenal (ENG)         
Sergio Busquets		Barcelona
Andres Iniesta		Barcelona

[b]Forwards[/b]	
David Silva		Valencia
David Villa		Barcelona
Fernando Torres		Liverpool (ENG)
Pedro Rodriguez		Barcelona
Fernando Llorente	Athletic Bilbao
Juan Mata		Valencia

Probably because Spain won something last time round so they a lot more people claim to be supporters/ followers.

Right, only tropies brings in fans :rolleyes:

I've been following Spain since the 98 WC even when Paraguay cruelly eliminated them on purpose :(

To be cut:

Lopez

De Gea

Azpiliceuta

Negredo

Navas/ Cazorla

Guiza

Mata (which is a shame)

Mata and Navas are in but the others are out

3 strikers is enough when 2 of them are villa and torres. llorente can offer something different in attack from the bench then and pedro is versatile.

Torres might not play the first few matches so Villa is up on his own and might stick like that

only 3 full backs as well

Meaning we will play with only one full back? :D

I like the squad. The only thing that surprised me is Javi Martínez over Senna, and only because I truly expected Del Bosque to go for the declining but more experienced option there, not because Senna has been any good this year...

Gonna be interesting to see how we line up now. I expect a 4-3-3 with Busquets as the holding midfielder and Villa alone upfront, most likely with Silva and Iniesta on both wings (or as attacking midfielders behind Villa drifting towards the wings). When Torres is healthy I wouldn't be too surprised to see a flat 4-4-2 without Busquets (Xabi Alonso+Xavi most likely) and with Torres and Villa playing together.

Squad and #:

Number	Name			Nat	Pos	Height	Weight	Date of Birth	Birth Place		Current Club
1	Iker Casillas		ESP	G	1.85	79	20-05-81	Madrid			Real Madrid
2	Pedro			ESP	F	1.69	64	28-07-87	Santa Cruz de Tenerife	Barcelona
3	Gerard Piqué		ESP	D	1.92	85	02-02-87	Barcelona		Barcelona
4	Carlos Marchena		ESP	D	1.83	78	31-07-79	Las Cabezas		Valencia
5	Carles Puyol		ESP	D	1.78	80	13-04-78	La Pobla de Segur	Barcelona
6	Andrés Iniesta		ESP	M	1.70	65	11-05-84	Fuentealbilla		Barcelona
7	David Villa		ESP	F	1.75	69	03-12-81	Langreo			Barcelona
8	Xavi			ESP	M	1.70	68	25-01-80	Terrassa		Barcelona
9	Fernando Torres		ESP	F	1.83	70	20-03-84	Madrid			Liverpool
10	Cesc Fàbregas		ESP	M	1.77	69	04-05-87	Arenys de Mar		Arsenal
11	Joan Capdevila		ESP	D	1.82	78	03-02-78	Tarrega			Villarreal
12	Víctor Valdés		ESP	G	1.83	78	14-01-82	Hospitalet de Llobregat	Barcelona
13	Juan Mata		ESP	F	1.70	63	28-04-88	Burgos			Valencia
14	Xabi Alonso		ESP	M	1.83	75	25-11-81	Tolosa			Real Madrid
15	Sergio Ramos		ESP	D	1.83	73	30-03-86	Camas			Real Madrid
16	Sergio Busquets		ESP	M	1.89	73	16-07-88	Sabadell		Barcelona
17	Álvaro Arbeloa		ESP	D	1.83	76	17-01-83	Salamanca		Real Madrid
18	Raúl Albiol		ESP	D	1.87	74	04-09-85	Valencia		Real Madrid
19	Fernando Llorente	ESP	F	1.95	94	26-02-85	Iruñea			Athletic Bilbao
20	Javi Martínez		ESP	M	1.90	81	02-09-88	Lizarra			Athletic Bilbao
21	David Silva		ESP	M	1.70	67	08-01-86	Arguineguín		Valencia
22	Jesús Navas		ESP	M	1.70	60	21-11-85	Los Palacios		Sevilla
23	José Manuel Reina	ESP	G	1.94	94	31-08-82	Madrid			Liverpool

Perdo #2, will be strange to see him play with that number.

Archived