The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I brought my cheque-book (to Euro 2008) but, having looked at the prices, I've realised it isn't big enough," Wenger - who is also hoping to keep hold of Alexander Hleb - said in the Sunday Mirror.

"I've not been surprised by the quality on show. There is a fantastic young generation of players coming through.

"But I will use my cheque-book first to keep the players I already have."

Frown.

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

Adebayor > Anelka.

Goes without saying but if he wants out then there isn't too much we can do about it and Anelka at the top of his game offers what Ade does; strength, speed, acceleration and a decent head/shot.

*If* he wants out.

9th May:

Adebayor blasts exit talk

Emmanuel Adebayor has hit out at press speculation that has intimated he is ready to quit Arsenal.

14th May:

Adebayor set on Arsenal stay

Emmanuel Adebayor insists he is happy at Arsenal, despite reported interest from Barcelona and Milan.

14th May(again):

Adebayor staying at Arsenal

Emmanuel Adebayor has again insisted that he has no intention of leaving Arsenal.

6th June

Adebayor plays down exit talk

Emmanuel Adebayor has played down reports linking him with a summer move to Serie A giants Milan

June 8th:

Ade to lead line for Arsenal

Emmanuel Adebayor has reaffirmed his intention to remain at Arsenal as he sets his sights on next season.

14th June:

Adebayor set for Arsenal stay

Emmanuel Adebayor appears set to stay at Arsenal following talks with Arsene Wenger over his future.

Bloody hell ajw you make ted from scrubs look like a bag full of sunshine and joy.

Although tbh I'm changing my mind about Ade, selling him would worry me a lot. I still think we could easily replace him I just dont trust wenger to do that. I can picture it being another Vieira situation were we miss out on our main targets due to the price and Wenger decideds to give Vela or Bendtner a chance.

My optimism for next season is already dwindling tbh.

Not that it especially should be but i watch Modric for Croatia, see a player ideally suited for our style of play and Spurs rightly just pay the money needed to get him. Infact that's what i see most teams around us doing.

We struck lucky with Adebayor. Not sure that'll be enough every season, especially when we're losing players we need.

meh, not like i'll really post in this forum that often anyway.

Modric one of the reasons why I am making Ted look optimistic. Ted ifb fwiw.

Wenger's comments are worrying too, if we can't keep hold of the likes of Flamini, Hleb and Ade, who lets face it are hardly massive names, then what chance have we got of kicking on and winning trophies?

Have you guys got alot of money to spend and just not, or is there a lack of cash. I dont really know much about Arsenal's position with stadium debt/repayments etc. Thought you had some rich guys come on board, and surely you are making a killing on sponsorship and gate reciepts to allow for some aggressive spending this summer. If you got 20 odd mill for Adebayor, how much of that would go towards funds for finding his replacement, hypothetically? Surely you guys could potentially attract some a-brand names?

Who knows? The board say we have a lot of money, but Wenger seems to not want to use it. Or that might be because the board are lying c**ts and we have very very little. I would expect its the latter tbh.

As for the £20m we would receive I suspect goon is right. We'll f**k about for the next month looking for the right player for the right price and either buy some utter abortion of a football like Gomez or do nothing and hope Eduardo/van Persie can stay fit and/or Bendtner and Vela really show they are capable of being first teamers. Again I suspect its the later.

What a shitty summer this could turn out to be icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ratinho:

Not that it especially should be but i watch Modric for Croatia, see a player ideally suited for our style of play and Spurs rightly just pay the money needed to get him. Infact that's what i see most teams around us doing.

We struck lucky with Adebayor. Not sure that'll be enough every season, especially when we're losing players we need.

Wasn't people saying Modric didn't look that good before he signed for Spurs and now you agree he a very good player.

Originally posted by arseneknows:

Wasn't people saying Modric didn't look that good before he signed for Spurs and now you agree he a very good player.

No. If you continue this jimmy-esque behavious (was it jimmy who used to convince himself that everyone was wrong and he'd always been right?) I will have to start correcting your posts. And none of us want that.

And it's not about big name players. It's about top quality players that can improve us right now. Then again, i've been playing this tune for about three years,

And we can't afford Silva or Villa. Wenger is out there watching the tournament in general, not simply at the Spain Italy game because David Villa is in it.

BARCELONA claim they have agreed a £22.5million deal with Arsenal for Emmanuel Adebayor.

Nou Camp officials have been in talks with the striker’s representatives about a move.

And the Togo ace said on Friday he expected his future to be sorted out ‘in the next few days’.

Gunners chief Arsene Wenger had warned his top scorer was not for sale.

But Barca are adamant an agreement is in place with both club and player.

Newcastle’s Obafemi Martins or Russia’s Andrei Arshavin could replace him.

Arsenal left-back Gael Clichy has stunned Roma and Juventus by signing a new four-year contract.

Shocking lack of quotes there, still if true worrying all the same.

Oba Martins? F**k off icon_biggrin.gif We sign him and UEFA Cup football looking a possibility.

Originally posted by arseneknows:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Wasn't people saying Modric didn't look that good before he signed for Spurs and now you agree he a very good player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most people were saying Modric is fffffffffffb. He is awesome and if he fits into the English game, will be arguably one of the best players in the league. Has so much talent, it's frightening.

I can understand why we would cash in on Ade. Like I've said before ~£25m for a guy who got a new contract and pay increase to £35k, now offered supposedly £60k and is holding out for £80k just reeks of a case of the Ashley's to me.

IF IF we get this money for him and we spend it on Arshavin, Santa Cruz and <insert some exciting semi-unknown> I'll take that. It's not the worst exchange is it?

Guys we are a selling club for all levels of football, a bigger feeder than any Dutch club and always will be until Kroneke takes over and then we'll see if he pumps in the extra £15k per week every player at Arsenal.

We'll get the odd player with some loyalty, like a Vieira, Henry, Freddie et al. The newer generation will just be a greedier sort by the looks of it.

Is is true that the property slump has meant that the Highbury development hasn't brought in as much cash as expected? I'd have thought that package would have been put together in a way that the developer took most of those risks, or is it 100% in-house?

Originally posted by James07?:

Is is true that the property slump has meant that the Highbury development hasn't brought in as much cash as expected? I'd have thought that package would have been put together in a way that the developer took most of those risks, or is it 100% in-house?

All the monies that are due are by the end of the summer iirc and they've only had 2 people pull out of purchasing property so far. Still on course to make a killing, although they are a tad worried that more might pull out and they could end up buggered.

However, this new build has enough about it to find enough buyers.

Suppose we'll know by the start of the footie season really if Arsenal plc are up the creek without a paddle.

• SI Staff

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1. Manuel ALMUNIA

2. Abou DIABY

3. Bacary SAGNA

4. Francesc FABREGAS

5. Kolo TOURE

6. Philippe SENDEROS

7. Tomas ROSICKY

9. EDUARDO

10. William GALLAS

11. Robin VAN PERSIE

12. Carlos VELA

13. Alexander HLEB

15. DENILSON

16. Aaron RAMSEY

17. Alexandre SONG

19. GILBERTO

20. Johan DJOUROU

21. Lukasz FABIANSKI

22. Gael CLICHY

24. Vito MANNONE

25. Emmanuel ADEBAYOR

26. Nicklas BENDTNER

27. Emmanuel EBOUE

30. Armand TRAORE

31. Justin HOYTE

32. Theo WALCOTT

</pre>

Squad no's for the season, most notable Almunia to 1, Vela to 12 and Ramsey to 16

Wow, this place is a ghost town. Still, no nelly \o/

Arshaving please. Awesome player. Him, Nasri, Cesc behind RvP and Ade would be brilliant. He says he wants to go to Barca, but they need to offload players before they buy, and Arshavin's price tag seems a bit steep for us too.

I see Santa Cruz being bandied about as well. Closet Rovers fan Rats will know the lowdown, but isn't he a wee bit mediocre?

As of now, players I would like based on Euro 2008 form are Arshavin, Podolski, Villa, Oojer, half of Russia.

Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Arshavin is affordable, he has a £10m release clause. Our problem will, as usual be wages. He already gets £50k/pw + bonuses for Zenit.

The media seem to be touting a 20m+ pricetag. Not sure what is right, but if there is a clause there then Wenger should be in like a shot. Development, an entertaining playing style and playing time could persuade him, but that fat wage packet waiting at Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern would lure him more. The poor little communist he is, after all.

We're not getting Arshavin, he's been too good at a high profile level, every single Champion's League club will be monitoring the situation, and we'll have no chance of sneaking a reasonable contract to him when he's receiving 15-20 obscene ones.

Might take the heat off Turan, if we can swoop in before other clubs resign themselves to not getting Arshavin and look elsewhere.

Archived