The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Ok so lets go with Ade not signing his new 80k contract here.

Who do we get in to replace him? Gomis I don't rate, although he still has the dreads, so that has to be a good omen. I like Martins but not at anything more than £10m.

I'd only be happy with a Villa

Arshavin tbh.

Originally posted by Gavin Connolly:

Arshavin isn't good enough for Arsenal.

He comfortably is, just not as an Ade replacement.

If we sell Ade then we'll struggle to finish in the top four tbh. Especially when we replace him with Gomez.

Is £21m silly money for a player we signed for £3.5m 2.5 years ago.

I'd go with a yes. He's got a hell of a lot of learning to do and other fans/clubs won't be as tolerant as us. I suppose he could score 6 goals against Getafe or Osasuna to bulk his tally, like he did with Derby here.

Hate for him to go but I'll be cheesed off if he does, as it'll be because he wants to leave.

Hate for him to go but I'll be cheesed off if he does, as it'll be because he wants to leave.

Whs

Not the best message being sent out when 3 of your most important players from the previous season want to jump ship in one transfer period.

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

He's got a hell of a lot of learning to do and other fans/clubs won't be as tolerant as us.

I disagree with both parts of that sentence.

In fact, that you think he needs to be 'tolerated' in the first place kind of shows how unreasonably poorly he's thought of here. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ade has had a ton of god awful performances, even during that massive goal scoring run he had. The fact that he scored 30 goals doesnt change that.

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

He's got a hell of a lot of learning to do and other fans/clubs won't be as tolerant as us.

I disagree with both parts of that sentence.

In fact, that you think he needs to be 'tolerated' in the first place kind of shows how unreasonably poorly he's thought of here. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not unreasonable at all, we happy to have him here and he's rather good. We have to be tolerant, he's young and is nowhere the player he can become. He goes missing too often, misses far too many chances. Something if his progress is anything to go by, he can improve on that at least.

Tolerance and patience for me go hand in hand here. We have to tolerate his complete ineptitude at times but we have the patience knowing he can become quite fb.

It's amazing how workrate and adding a different dimension to our game makes him some kind of superstar-irreplaceable. Give him 2-3 years of banging in 30 goals a season and yeah, then we'll go for a pint in Islington and discuss how no money can replace him.

I like how Ade has had a ton of bad games whereas Hleb has had very little. Goon's a racist.

On Ade's near irreplaceable because he combines scoring goals with staying fit, something of which we don't have the luxury of.

Originally posted by goon:

There were plenty tbh. Although it was a little unfair on him considering he had to play up top on his own which means when he doesnt play well he'll get a lot more flack than he deserves.

Fair point, hard enough playing up top alone when your still learning your trade and all the pressure in on you to score coz your mates can't shoot (won't shoot), have half a foot or are made of balsa.

Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

sure you're probably aware already but SSN's yellow bar thing is saying Clichy's signed a new long-term deal.

I thought he already signed one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSN have probably only just realised. that or they need to fill their breaking news quota for the day.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

sure you're probably aware already but SSN's yellow bar thing is saying Clichy's signed a new long-term deal.

I thought he already signed one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSN have probably only just realised. that or they need to fill their breaking news quota for the day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given Clichy has been linked with Roma and Juve, like you say just sky being sky.

Apparently not Hoves

Clichy signs new long-term contract with Arsenal

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Gael Clichy has signed a new long term contract with the Club.

Since joining Arsenal from AS Cannes in August 2003, Clichy (22), has become a first team regular, and has now made 146 appearances for the Club.

Left back Clichy, who became the youngest ever winner of a Premier League champion’s medal in 2004, made the most Arsenal first team appearances of any player in the 2007/08 season, featuring in 49 of the Club’s 58 matches in all competitions.

Gael’s performances last season also earned him great acknowledgement from his fellow professionals, as he was voted into the PFA Team of the Year.

Everyone at the Club is looking forward to Gael’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

Mon Ade doing the same.

When have I ever said Hleb has had very little? I've always said Hleb was ***** the season before last and that he didnt do enought in the second half of the season. Although Hleb has probably performed better than Ade this season tbh.

And what Cesc said.

Originally posted by ajw10:

Apparently not Hoves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Clichy signs new long-term contract with Arsenal

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Gael Clichy has signed a new long term contract with the Club.

Since joining Arsenal from AS Cannes in August 2003, Clichy (22), has become a first team regular, and has now made 146 appearances for the Club.

Left back Clichy, who became the youngest ever winner of a Premier League champion’s medal in 2004, made the most Arsenal first team appearances of any player in the 2007/08 season, featuring in 49 of the Club’s 58 matches in all competitions.

Gael’s performances last season also earned him great acknowledgement from his fellow professionals, as he was voted into the PFA Team of the Year.

Everyone at the Club is looking forward to Gael’s continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

Mon Ade doing the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh ok, glad thats been sorted then.

Originally posted by ajw10:

You haven't goon, just finding it amusing how upset you are about the possibilty of Hleb leaving and yet don't seem too bothered by our only reliable source of goals leaving.

1)Hleb is one of my favorite players and I'm incredibly biased towards him, you should know this my now icon_biggrin.gif

2) If you're refering to that argument ages ago, theres a slight difference between geting what was rumoured to be £2m for Hleb buying out his contract and 27m euro's for Ade.

Scoring 30 goals can forgive a lot of poor performances, however that's not what I'm suggesting.

I'm saying that playing as a lone striker (a position that he's not suited to and which Wenger even came out and said he regrets being forced to do it because it does him no favours, and isolates him, sacrificing his performances for the good of the team) and still managing to score better than a goal every 2 games, is something only very players in the world can do.

Scouts at Milan and Barcelona (and here for that matter) aren't known for being mugs, especially when it comes to attackers. If they think he's good enough to put so much effort into signing then he is. And is worth just as much effort to try and keep.

Archived