The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Hayes, as in Hayes and Yeading, Simply Hleb?

yep, thats them. Although not seen them play since the merger! I lived in Hayes all my life, till i moved to the wonderful place that is hemel Hempstead last month!

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

Wow, this place is a ghost town. Still, no nelly \o/

Arshaving please. Awesome player. Him, Nasri, Cesc behind RvP and Ade would be brilliant. He says he wants to go to Barca, but they need to offload players before they buy, and Arshavin's price tag seems a bit steep for us too.

I see Santa Cruz being bandied about as well. Closet Rovers fan Rats will know the lowdown, but isn't he a wee bit mediocre?

As of now, players I would like based on Euro 2008 form are Arshavin, Podolski, Villa, Oojer, half of Russia.

Santa Cruz 'a bit mediocre' but you want Ooijer? Interesting.

Buying players on the basis of European Championships form not always the best idea btw. Poborsky icon_frown.gif

A few questions I have been pondering...

Assuming Vela proves himself as Arsenal standard in the coming season, would you rather see him or Van Persie upfront (with the other having the LW position)?

Who will get more playing time...Walcott or Ramsey? I'm leaning towards the former as he is a bit older and has been with Arsenal a while.

Finally...what is the general opinion of Hleb? I think most fans are now getting a negative approach with all the speculation, but I still see him as one of Arsenal's top players. On his day he can rip defenses apart.

Originally posted by AR:

Football 365 are now carrying reports that Podolski might be an Arsenal target.

I'm curious as to whether Podolski's poor goal-to-game ratio at Bayern is due to poor performance or a different role on the park. Or sub appearances for Toni/Klose etc...

Nick, I did say Rats had the lowdown which means I haven't seen much of Santa Cruz, and I just said based on the Euros following up that he (Ooijer) would be good back-up. He played an outstanding Euros and is used to the PL. It makes perfect sense if you bother reading a bit.

Originally posted by EdL:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1. Manuel ALMUNIA

2. Abou DIABY

3. Bacary SAGNA

4. Francesc FABREGAS

5. Kolo TOURE

6. Philippe SENDEROS

7. Tomas ROSICKY

9. EDUARDO

10. William GALLAS

11. Robin VAN PERSIE

12. Carlos VELA

13. Alexander HLEB

15. DENILSON

16. Aaron RAMSEY

17. Alexandre SONG

19. GILBERTO

20. Johan DJOUROU

21. Lukasz FABIANSKI

22. Gael CLICHY

24. Vito MANNONE

25. Emmanuel ADEBAYOR

26. Nicklas BENDTNER

27. Emmanuel EBOUE

30. Armand TRAORE

31. Justin HOYTE

32. Theo WALCOTT

</pre>

Squad no's for the season, most notable Almunia to 1, Vela to 12 and Ramsey to 16

Still can't get over Senderos in the 6 shirt and Gallas in the 10.

I read it all ta. He had a decent Euros at best. Being 'used' to the PL is very different to being good enough, and quite why you'd want to bring in someone that old as backup ahead of Senderos/Song/Djourou is beyond me, but each to their own.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I read it all ta. He had a decent Euros at best. Being 'used' to the PL is very different to being good enough, and quite why you'd want to bring in someone that old as backup ahead of Senderos/Song/Djourou is beyond me, but each to their own.

Decent Euros icon_biggrin.gif I'll stop there tbh. The club he plays for and age must be clouding your judgement.

Originally posted by Simply Hleb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

Does that main roundabout in Hemel Hampstead still have 6 mini roundabouts in it?

indeed it does, i work about 2 secs from there, have to cross it every day, nightmare! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy who designed that must have been on drugs. The natural driving direction alternated between roundabouts ffs icon_biggrin.gif Every mini roundabout was like a new venture into the gates of death.

Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arseneknows:

Silva of Spain is starting to look decent as well.

since when did Silva not look decent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean hes starting to really step it up and come on as a very good player.

Originally posted by Simply Hleb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Hayes, as in Hayes and Yeading, Simply Hleb?

yep, thats them. Although not seen them play since the merger! I lived in Hayes all my life, till i moved to the wonderful place that is hemel Hempstead last month! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaahh, I work in Uxbridge icon14.gif

Hemel possibly the only place worse than Hayes?

Watch The Dutch play, goon? He has been a rock for them at the back. You must be delusional to think otherwise.

Yes but I've also seen him for his club which is why I laughed. It would be a bit like saying you want boumsong after a good euro's.

Originally posted by brett.spurs:

Arshavin vs Ooijer I agree with SD, sign him up icon14.gif

Wp, brett, pick one of very few mistakes. Just forget that he made Luca Toni anonymous and made Henry look like Darren Bent. I also said he would be good back-up, not sliding straight into the side.

And for anyone else trying to be a tit, just watch the Dutch games again. If you say Ooijer wasn't good then you are a complete clown tbh. Or is the Euros some parallell dimension where playing well doesn't count?

ha. i forgot hleb is leaving. so its basically a one in one out policy?

just seems like treading water to me, replacing a good proven premier league player with an unknown. if i were an arsenal fan i would be slightly annoyed if we dont sign many others by september 1st.

Also picking out a throw-in where the whole Dutch team is asleep and the player who scored is the best player in the tournament icon14.gif

So everyone pretty much disagrees with you but you won't let it go. I thought I was the only one??

Originally posted by arseneknows:

So Nasri, Rosicky, Walcott, Vela and Hleb, if he stays which isn't that unlikely. That does look pretty strong on the flanks with enough depth for a long season.

Maybe but would still like aan actual wide midfielder when hleb leaves

Originally posted by arseneknows:

Exactly. Does he?

I know we don't blindly put faith in a player if they say they are staying but with all the speculation since the season ended if he really wanted to stay you would think he would have said something by now. I have not heard anything like that.

nah you're not allowed to move clubs for more money at all, even if its to a bigger club, you're still a mercenary. these foreigners should who have no real connection with arsenal and nothing to repay them for, should be more loyal to the ****ing club imo.

Archived