• FM 2006
    • FM 2007
    • FM 2008
    • FM 2009
    • FM 2010

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only reason people are voting 2010 must be surely they're currently having a rough time in their league at the moment ;)

Or they have only recently started playing the series.

Or they suffer from serious problems like crash dumps.

Or they have short memories and are acting spoilt ;)

The only reason people are voting 2010 must be surely they're currently having a rough time in their league at the moment ;)

You get a similar spread for 'what's your favourite CM/FM version?'. People tend to go for the recent ones with a fair few going for 01/02.

Or they have only recently started playing the series.

Or they suffer from serious problems like crash dumps.

Or they have short memories and are acting spoilt ;)

or not.

personally I never expected such high votes for FM10.

ive played from FM07 to FM10 and i have voted for FM10.

1-wing play not working well.

2-defender regens with jumping 5-6

3-regens with poor off the ball and positioning.many start with 1,2,3.

4-saying something to the the opposition manager and then the game saying something else at your inbox.

5-ALL teams become extremely weak by 2014-2015 in contrast to how they were at the beginning of the game.

6-freezing in the tactics during a match.

many many more......

I haven't played all of the Championship Manager/Football Manager games (my first PC version was CM 03/04, had 02/03 on the Xbox before that), but for me so far the worst versions of FM have been the even numbered ones (i.e. 06, 08 and 10) with 08 being the worse of them. I just could not get into 08, I don't know why but I just hated it. To me it seems that the odd numbered versions are much better than the even numbered ones, as if SI make one good, one bad, one good, one bad version and so on.

I dont think its as black and white as some people are making out. Those of us who have voted for a recent edition have taken everything into account. Of course if 00/01 was released the same day as fm10, everyone could see fm10 is the "better" game.

Its when you look at all the factors such as technology is so much more advanced than back then, also money. Just imagine what budget SI have now compared to 10/15 years ago. Then there are the number of staff/researchers/testers.

Just my opinion but an earlier game such as 03/04 given the resources back then beats a later FM edition.

CM4, the whole thing was an absolute farce. Late release, then a complete dog's breakfast of a game, was compete and utter crap IF you managed to get it to run for more than 5 mins without crashing. 03/04 was a huge improvement. FM06 was pretty rubbish as well, constantly ate more and more RAM to the point where it rendered my comp useless. I don't mind FM09 with one caveat; doesn't matter what tactic/formation you use or how good your team is, strikers just can't hit the back of the net.

I'm not playing FM10 yet so I can't comment on that one, have it installed and I am keeping my fingers crossed for the 10.3 patch. Seems to be a recent trend (cough....post SEGA involvement....cough) that the game is inevitably released in October, yet it's March before it's in the sort of state it should have been at release, then it's promptly discarded as everything is thrown at the coming October's product.

Shades of EA Sports at SI these days, the mantra used to be "it'll be ready when it's ready". :(

FM09 was superb.

FM2010 is just crap with the 10.2 I uninstalled it since a week, because I can't respect the game anymore. You with a small team, get in the Ch. League, get Auxerre as opponent, creat beautifull chances, their GK should be National Goalkepper after that match with 18 saves, but he is not beacuse he got 36 goals in the League (Auxerre are 10th). Against me he is a superman who saves everyshoot, even the corner. I managed to score a nice placed shoot, but not with ST (against them the GK get his superman power) but with my MC :( .And then in min. 89' some stupid rebound and their player score a screamer from 35m. hahahaha :thdn:

They are better team, I am a small team, my biggest wage is 1.600€(Chidi Alozi), I make my effort and take the game, change 3 different tactic (with wings, Mr.Hough, trough middle) but you can't score, because the ME decide that their GK will save everything.

So until patch 10.3 the game will be uninstalled.

Hope that my save can go on patch 10.3, because I don't have power and nervs to do the same way again

Maybe those of us that dislike fm10 should wait untill 10.3 and maybe this poll would have been better after its release. I know some members like 10.2 but us others are just voting on this patch rather than the game.

This is the most sensible post of yours I have read :thup:

FM09 was superb.

FM2010 is just crap with the 10.2 I uninstalled it since a week, because I can't respect the game anymore. You with a small team, get in the Ch. League, get Auxerre as opponent, creat beautifull chances, their GK should be National Goalkepper after that match with 18 saves, but he is not beacuse he got 36 goals in the League (Auxerre are 10th). Against me he is a superman who saves everyshoot, even the corner. I managed to score a nice placed shoot, but not with ST (against them the GK get his superman power) but with my MC :( .And then in min. 89' some stupid rebound and their player score a screamer from 35m. hahahaha :thdn:

They are better team, I am a small team, my biggest wage is 1.600€(Chidi Alozi), I make my effort and take the game, change 3 different tactic (with wings, Mr.Hough, trough middle) but you can't score, because the ME decide that their GK will save everything.

So until patch 10.3 the game will be uninstalled.

Hope that my save can go on patch 10.3, because I don't have power and nervs to do the same way again

You really love a whinge don't you.

I can't respect your posts anymore ;)

DRAMA is the phrase.

I think we've all got the point about his problems, but is there a need to put it in every single thread, no matter the topic.

Especially when the issue has like a million threads about it anyway, most of them with temporary work-arounds for this unfortuntae issue that isn't game breaking what-so-ever ;)

Keep going back. That happened in Champiship Manager 92. God, I loved that game.

Was that really Camp 92! I would have been 9!!! an i can remember it so well....playing it on my Amiga64!!! Quality!! :)

i would always sign joey beauchamp and jim magilton from oxford if i rememebr rite!!

i still cant beleieve it was 92!!!

You really love a whinge don't you.

I can't respect your posts anymore ;)

then don't read it. If I wanted to post it to you, I would use the PM, and not the thread. I just used to explain why I am angry about the game. But, never mind. I wasn't talking to you when I post it.

And I don't whinge, I just state the facts. I stated the fact that I was winning games with longrange effort. What? Should I be happy that I won a game in a stupid manner? I post threads also when I am winning.

I'm assuming that the OP does know that the series of games came out in the early 90's and didn't start at the 1999. In any case, I seriously doubt genunie players would stand the early efforts up as being bad games, just "different" ones due to the lack of sophistication in the games.

I'm guessing few people played versions before, let's say, FM05/06, so they don't have much to go on.

The poll's a little unfair in that regard.

The results are skewed anyway. This poll would have been fairer if it had been made after the final patch. At the minute all the other games are complete and fully patched whereas FM10 is still awaiting the final patch.

The results are skewed anyway. This poll would have been fairer if it had been made after the final patch. At the minute all the other games are complete and fully patched whereas FM10 is still awaiting the final patch.

same opinion.

But, why it is allways the same, that the game get perfect only after the third patch :)

And we should make the same thread after the patch, and you will see a lot of votes for FM 2010. It's my favorite too, because of the tactic creator (I am the one with no knowledge about slider)

Why does the poll start at CM 99/00 if it's for the worst EVER? I've been playing since CM1, the year before they released the one with real players in it. You could pick any team in the top 4 English Leagues and start in any division with them.

So that must be the worst... although, because of what it became and evolved into, it could retrospectively be regarded as the best thing ever.

It's not listed but I was very disappointed with CM3. All the right sided players could only use their left feet and vice versa and it was insanely difficult compared to the groundbreaking CM2 (and all it's excellent addons).

Didn't play another one in the series after than until someone showed me FM04/05 in work once. The love was rekindled.

For me it has to be 09. Unbelievable amount of injuries even after the patches, awful ambiguity of tactics and as for the activation issues...well, the less said the better :(. Ended up throwing it away. Like I say, in my opinion.

CM4. Horrible, horrible game, at least compared to the previous year. I remember a short-lived Championship Manager magazine that hyped CM4 up, anyone else remember buying that?

I also remember buying this. Wasn't it priced at like eight quid or something?

You got a CD filled to the brim with CM4 stuff: demos, tactics, screenshots etc. It was actually quite nifty.

Anybody know the exact reason why CM4 was rubbish? I spent a lot of time on it and found it to be absolutely tremendous. I don't get the hate.

Thank you.

I also remember buying this. Wasn't it priced at like eight quid or something?

You got a CD filled to the brim with CM4 stuff: demos, tactics, screenshots etc. It was actually quite nifty.

Anybody know the exact reason why CM4 was rubbish? I spent a lot of time on it and found it to be absolutely tremendous. I don't get the hate.

Thank you.

I think it was the fact that it was so late in being released that didn't help. There will be other reasons of course but that is the one that sticks in my mind.

Why does the poll start at CM 99/00 if it's for the worst EVER? I've been playing since CM1, the year before they released the one with real players in it. You could pick any team in the top 4 English Leagues and start in any division with them.

So that must be the worst... although, because of what it became and evolved into, it could retrospectively be regarded as the best thing ever.

The reason is pretty simple, because in these forums the polls are restricted to 10 choices. So the OP had to choose the games.

Someone said that it wasn't a very fair poll. I do agree, I wanted a fair poll. If you want make reclamation to who set this restriction.

On another side, said it wasn't fair because most voters haven't played all the games, still the question is pretty simple what is the worst CM/FM ever. Of course it is only fair that people only vote on game they played and this was the case, i believe.

I hated last years, 09. I don't really know why either. On launch day it was really annoying, I guess everyone remembers, where steam mucked up and no-one could play the game for AGESSS!

After a couple of weeks I just went back to 08. 09 really bored me. :(

Love 10 though. Best ever ;)

CM4. Horrible, horrible game, at least compared to the previous year. I remember a short-lived Championship Manager magazine that hyped CM4 up, anyone else remember buying that?

I loved it.

Tijani Babangida was the man on it too. Had him for Wimbledon I think. Was amazingg!

The reason CM4 is so unpopular is that it was easily the most hyped up version of CM. Even to this day there has not been a version of CM/FM that has been advertised as much as CM4. It definitely concentrated far too much on the then new 2d match engine (which worked pretty well).

Anyone else remember how easily people got injured on it? I managed Rochdale (having done well as them in 01-02), and struggled as Patrick McCourt and Kevin Townson got injured every game. :(

Despite CM4 being the worst, most people have voted the last three installments of FM being the worst and curiously all that I currently don't like, however with Fm10 still waiting for thrid patch to make my final judgment.

I cant quite remember which version it was, but there was an early version that yoou could play with 1 cent def, 1-4-1-4 was my favoured formation and you spanked everyone. I also rememeber Tommy johnson, ex villa and celtic striker (who was with derby at the time) and craig hignett (boro) were awesome! the makers of the game were also in it im sure?

also before the time where you could search for any foreign league, they only had the option of lookking at 'foriegn players' and it would simply include a very small list of some of the good players from that country. Richard gough, andy goram for scotland, paul ince and gazza for italy for example. Also when an amazing player had won everything with you. it would say under his future transfers screen.. "moving abroad, at end of season!" and when the sseason would reload between times he would be sold to say juve or somewhere and you wouldnt have any say in it whatsoever! ive never been so angry at losing garry speed from my leeds save of that time!!

sometimes they would reappear on the foreign players search screen and return back to these shores!

Erik Nevland was an amazing free at the start! im sure he signed for man u shortly after!

thinking bac id love to play that game again! so no it wasnt the worst it was just much different!! :)

I think it was the CM99/00.

Christian Vieri was available as a promising 19 year old.

I'm pretty sure it was that version that I had Andy Cole on the highest weekly wages available - £9,999 :D

I voted CM4 as worst.

Voted FM10. Hate the new tactics system and that makes me feel uncomfortable with the classic system. Waiting on the next patch before I even get into FM10. Tired of it taking months before the game is supposedly how it was meant to be when the next version is only 8 or 9 months away and the game has been out for a long time already.

Hopefully I will eventually get into FM10 and it will amaze me.

Despite CM4 being the worst, most people have voted the last three installments of FM being the worst and curiously all that I currently don't like, however with Fm10 still waiting for thrid patch to make my final judgment.

Yeah, but yet the odd thing is FM10 is currently winning in the 'your fave CM/FM' thread. lol

FM09 is definitely my most disliked version, I love FM07, 08 and 10 about equally currently and tend to swap between them based on how I'm feeling, with FM07 being a faster and simpler game but FM10 being just as fun if a little more complex.

Will be interesting to see what the final patch brings, but I'm sure I'll like it whatever.

Voted FM10. Hate the new tactics system and that makes me feel uncomfortable with the classic system. Waiting on the next patch before I even get into FM10. Tired of it taking months before the game is supposedly how it was meant to be when the next version is only 8 or 9 months away and the game has been out for a long time already.

Hopefully I will eventually get into FM10 and it will amaze me.

You can 'convert' tactics to the old FM system if you wish. I like the new player position 'templates', but they can make the process of making tactics a bit slow (not that sliders were quick :)).

As for taking for months to play the game, this happens every year with FM and many people wait to play it.

I myself in recent years haven't properly gotten in to FM (especially this year) in anticipation of bugs/out of date data in the early releases. I got it on release day but it's taken me to patch 2 to really start playing due to this, by patch 3 I expect the game to run well.

CM4 is definitely poor, but a bit of sympathy one might hold is the fact that it was the first time the 2D match engine was being tried out, so a learning curve was always going to be present.

FM08 was actually a relatively poor game as well. I had really got into FM06, FM07, FM09 and even FM10 this time around. But FM08; I never managed to start any game, big or small club, which I actually enjoyed and kept playing. Always got boring eventually. Glad it has been improved over the following two games though :)

As the general best I'd choose FM09, but a good patch fixing the match engine problems could give the edge to FM10

Archived