dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

One more possible rule change, what about changing the reputation from automatic to Sunday league footballer.

From what I gather, for most people it won't make any difference but it will mean that people can't get extra reputation by selecting a higher age. It also means that our new profiles will say 'Sunday league footballer' rather than 'Automatic', which I think looks a bit odd.

I agree:thup:.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be attempting this challenge this year. All other years has been "oh my Tottenham save needs another season" or "Oh I just want to play in Slovenia once". Well not anymore, my sole aim in FM09 is to complete this challenge with Prescot Cables or Marine. Either or and I will be a very happy man.

And TBH I agree with the Loaning through Parent club rule. It isn't a real life formailty, so I see no reason why it should be simulated in a game which prides itself on its realism. If it truly was realistic then I think that this would have been outlawed, long ago

No they don't. They might have sent loan players to Wealdstone for the last few years, (I know they did), and they might continue to do so, (they probably will as it has worked really well), but what they have NOT got is a formal agreement of any kind to do so. There is absolutely nothing in place anywhere to back this up.

Why? Because if there was they would be in beach of FA regulations.

What you have is a good relationship between management and/or board members.

You're right, there is nothing official guaranteeing that Watford will send players out to Wealdstone.

Scoham is also correct in saying that Watford send them out for "work experience" and not official loans.

They just go there to play against older players and AFAIK they still actually train at Watford.

I'll abide by the general consensus/rule on affiliated clubs and loaning players from them and other teams in higher divisions. But I think that affiliates should still be allowed but the only time you can accept loan players from them is if they are 2-3 leagues higher then you.

BTW it is possible to "pull out" of these loan agreements just like you would do for any other transfer or loan.

No, no they don't.

They might have a good relationship with another club at either managerial or boardroom level, (that makes the loaning of players more likely), but they absolutely do not, (under any circumstances), have a formal agreement where players are loaned from 1 club to the other on a regular basis.

Why? Because if they did the FA would be forced to withdraw their membership of the English FA.

I was purely going on the data from 8.0.2 and according to that the teams that i mention did have loans ticked under affiliated teams so if i am wrong then so is the data from the database 8.0.2.

When's the thread going up? :)

It'll be sometime on Friday evening.

I'll be at work on Friday, picking up a copy of the game on my way home. Once I've downloaded the patch, run a couple of tests and written the opening post (which should be similar to this year's one) it will be started. At a guess, I'd say at about 7-8pm.

• SI Staff

Referring quickly back to the parent club debate, I'd like to add my opinion on how to sort it.

Allow parent clubs - but they must be a maximum of two/three leagues above your current league. For example, if you play in BSN/S you choose a parent club from league 1 or 2. If the board don't offer you a parent team this low then unlucky, you can't have one. Personally I feel there should be a two leagues above limit.

But then again I'll go with whatever the rule is :D

I think I'll leave parent clubs up to the player to choose. People have always played this challenge using their own extra rules, this will just be another one.

I might have a go without a parent club at all this year.

Hi Dafuge / All

Well just wanna say first off congrats to all who have taken part in the challenge, for those who succeeded and those that didnt quite get so far (including me! 12 seasons and still in the BSP!).

I want to say that i will be following Dafuge's lead and will resist the feeder club option in my new challenge for 09. Also think its a great idea to change the reputation to Sunday League Player... makes it more realistic!

by the way is the dafugechallenge.com website still going for this year?

I just looked and it said its still in beta.

If it is going, do I have to end my 2008 attempt before starting the 2009 version?

I've spoken to Allan and he will be working on an FM09 version for the website, hopefully it will be up and running shortly although it is unlikely it will be ready for tomorrow.

Here's a little something to wet your appetites :)

Isthmian Premier League

Sutton Utd          1250
Dover               1200
Staines             1150
Ashford (Middx)     1150
Maidstone           1150
AFC Hornchurch      1100
Ramsgate            1100
Billericay          1100
Horsham             1050
Carshalton          1050
Wealdstone          1000
Heybridge           1000
Hendon              1000
Boreham Wood        1000
Tonbridge           1000
Margate             950
Harrow              950
Dartford            950
Harlow              850
Tooting & Mitcham   850
Canvey Island       800
Hastings Utd        700

Southern League Premier Division

Farnborough         1250
Merthyr             1200
Cambridge City      1150
Tiverton            1100
Hitchin             1050
Bedford             1050
Halesowen           1000
Oxford City         1000
Chippenham          1000
Mangotsfield        950
Hemel Hempstead     900
Banbury             900
Gloucester          900
Clevedon            800
Corby               800
Yate                700
Evesham             650
Rubgy               650
Bashley             650
Swindon S           600
Stourbridge         600
Brackley            600

Northern League Premier Division

Boston Utd          1450
Leigh Genesis       1250
Guiseley            1150
Hednesford          1150
Bradford PA         1100
Eastwood            1050
FC United           1050
Marine              1050
Witton              1050
Worksop             1000
Matlock             950
Ilkeston            950
North Ferriby       950
Buxton              950
Whitby              900
Kendal              900
Frickley            800
Ashton Utd          800
Cammel Laird        750
Nantwich            750
Ossett Town         700
Prescot             650

Hooray, I can be a real man and a Canvey Island manager! :) \o/ Thanks, dafuge.

Do you have any idea when this thread will be deleted? (I know it's too soon, but...!)

This thread won't be deleted, it will be left open for anyone still playing the FM08 version. The FM07 and 06 threads were lost in the cull :(

This thread won't be deleted, it will be left open for anyone still playing the FM08 version. The FM07 and 06 threads were lost in the cull :(

Ah, so that's why they went. I don't suppose it would be a huge problem if I cleared my imageshack account of old challenge screenshots?

Maybe Canvey!! could post the FC United savegame on the site whilst he goes on his eternal quest for a Canvey save ;)

I'd say with a reputation that low in that division it will be virtually impossible to get Canvey promoted. I really hope I'm wrong though.

I've spoken to Allan and he will be working on an FM09 version for the website, hopefully it will be up and running shortly although it is unlikely it will be ready for tomorrow.

Hopefully updated logos for fm09 will be ready tomorrow evening... (not helped by google linking to screenshots in this thread ahead of the real club for some clubs)

Havent decided who I'm hoping for yet. Am curious though, which of those teams are the ones that were relegated into those divisions last season?

Also when will the 09 thread be up, so that I can start reloading hundreds of times for an intersting looking team? Want to make sure, (after installing/patching), that I'm using the correct rules for this years challenge, before lots of reloading.

Here's a little something to wet your appetites :)

Northern League Premier Division

Boston Utd          1450
Leigh Genesis       1250
Guiseley            1150
Hednesford          1150
Bradford PA         1100
Eastwood            1050
FC United           1050
Marine              1050

Doesn't look as bad as previous years, I reckon Boston will be the Gateshead/AFC Wimbledon getting promoted nearly every time and with Sutton/Dover and Farnborough/Merthyr taking up two of the other slots nearly each time.

With FC United and Marine both having the same rep, I may be reloading for a while :( (I don't know what happened to Marine's rep, it's gone down since last season, they finished 7th in the league last season)

I'd say with a reputation that low in that division it will be virtually impossible to get Canvey promoted. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah I hope there's been some changes in that area, would be nice if reputations for those clubs changed more than they did in previous FMs.

I'd equate them to Maidstone this year. Two people played with Maidstone. Don't you dare dash my hopes!!©

Maidstone were 900 I think last year :D I could never get them promoted had to play with the save someone else uploaded. This year however should be able to get them easily :D Its so much more fun playing with local team!!!!

Margate have taken quite a big fall this year, Tonbridge gone up too.

• SI Staff

There are quite a few teams I'd like to try with, I'll not faff about with reloads though, I'll choose a team from the inital first load, whoever that may be.

Annoyingly I'm pretty stubborn with myself and reload several times. This year I want either Bashley, Kendal or Whitby which is gonna take forever!

It'll be sometime on Friday evening.

I'll be at work on Friday, picking up a copy of the game on my way home. Once I've downloaded the patch, run a couple of tests and written the opening post (which should be similar to this year's one) it will be started. At a guess, I'd say at about 7-8pm.

Hi all, back again.

Got my copy of the game, so will do my best to get the "new" website up asap. Time is something of a premium for me at the moment so its going to be a rehash of the old website with some text updates but same functionality. I'll aim for Friday night some point, but it may end up slipping until Sat or Sun night.

Dont try and start playing Dafuges Challenge 2008/09 until I have the new website up, as teams etc wont match, and you wont be counted in the new tables. Old 2008 challenges will be able to still be played/updated on the site, as will 07 (if anyone still plays it). The site will simply roll over to 2009.

If anyone has any downloads etc for the site then send them (or a link to them if v big) to dafugeschallenge@allanbrown.org.

Dafuge if you can let me know of the full ruleset as soon as you have it so I can get the site updated.

Thanks all,

Allan

Hi all. I've just taken over as manager of AFC Wimbledon.

Started well with a few good signings and a 1-0 win in my first game. However since then I've lost all my games bar one which was a draw to Forest Green.

Can anyone help me with tactics and the like. I'm finding it quite tough at the moment

I haven't played the demo and am about to pop out and buy the game now so you might want to take my advice with a pinch of salt.

In recent issues of FM the key to lower league success has been physical ability.

Most people who did well without loaning brilliant players in from a club in the upper echelons of the structure seemed to base their tactics on being good at the back, (GK seems to become more key with each issue), fine tuning their set-pieces, (no that does not mean the corner exploit), and pairing 2 strikers with different strengths, (a big fat old bloke who is good in the air paired with a speedy youngster for example).

Technical ability seems to be of less importance, (at least it was in the past).

Good luck all.

Remember though that the new thread won't be opened till tonight and it is likely that some people will be using this thread to continue the FM08 challenge so maybe try to restrain your obvious enthusiasm to post in here about newly started FM09 games.

Guest roberto922

They aren't part of the challenge this year, are you playing 08?

Dafuge/Allan, will I be alright to start it but save a screenshot at the beginning to post when the site is up?

Archived