dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Right with pre-season now over here are my results,

Walking in on my 1st day as Chelsmford manager i soon realise i have 5 players to choose from and no staff, so i quickly get to work signing, 1 coach, 1 physio, 1 assistant manager and 2 scouts, thats is shortly followed by 20 signings.

So i now have a squad to work with and some backroom staff, im told that my odds on winning the league are a shallow 33/1, so i know i have a job on my hands, so i get my assistant to start arranging friendlys whilst i start thinking about tactics. It soons comes down to me choosing my captains and i choose to ignore my assistants advice and choose who i think suits the bill, well how wrong could i be, i have a whole squad of unhappy players before i have even played my first friendly.

So after all my friendlys i quickly realise that my team need some time to gel as there are too many stay passes and attacks leading to nothing, also my defence is a big problem its actually funny to watch sometimes, anyway here's how i got on,

Played - 5

Won - 0

Lost - 4

Drew - 1

Scoring - 2

Conceeding - 15

So things aint looking too good as of yet but i have faith in my squad of young stars to be, il be keeping you updated on my fight for survival...

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right i'm 10 games into my first season, and after a poor pre-season im very happy with how my first 10 games have gone, despite my last results being a 6.1 trashing at the hands of Thurrock, hopefully my team can pick themselves up from this and continue their good form, well here's a screeny of the league table after 10 games:

http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tablest1.jpg

As you can see im not doing too badly and will post another report when i reach 20 league games...

This is the first time i have played with a club outside of the premiership, and i must say it is so frustrating, you get onto the fact your managing a small team when your watching your players playing the wrong passes and fluffing so many chances, its stressfull but fun lol....

Chelseadaft Ilkeston Season 7 Blue Square Premier 2014/2015.

After avoiding relegation and obtaining some stability in the league i was looking forward to an improvement in the forthcoming season. Out went the deadwood and in came the new whilst again utilising the loan options with my parent club. It was pre season when one of my main strikers declared he wanted to move to a bigger club, so with that he was sold to Burton for 40k. To my surprise a player who i had loaned for many of my seasons so far from Derby was available on a free transfer so in he came as a direct replacement.

Again i strengthened the side with a bit more quality from scouted players and looked forward to a challenging season.

It was an amazing season, not only did we improve on our best finish of 15th in the BSP but we finished 8th and also won the Setanta Shield! It was an amazing season. Here are the screenies:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/table7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/squad7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/transfers7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/squad7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/finances7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/final.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%207/ssfinalwin.jpg

My Career so far in the Default Training and Tactic Dafuges Challenge - Ilkeston.

Season 1 08/09 BSN Position 3rd.

Season 2 09/10 BSN Position 1st Promoted

Season 3 10/11 BSP Position 20th.

Season 4 11/12 BSP Position 22nd Relegated

Season 5 12/13 BSN Position 1st Promoted

Season 6 13/14 BSP Position 15th.

Season 7 14/15 BSP Position 8th. Setanta Shield Winners.

If it works as it did last year (which I'm certain it will), six teams from the leagues directly below will be chosen based on reputation and promoted, i.e. teams below the Ryman/Unibond/Southern Premier cannot be promoted into the Blue Square North/South.

• SI Staff
FC United could be? They'd be fun, maybe Canvey?

Aren't FC United effectively going to be the next AFC Wimbledon though? As in the biggest of the smallest teams? Not that that is a bad thing, I just imagine it'd be less of a challenge because they'd be richer, though tbh I know little about them.

Not sure whether to go with Whitby again or possibly Kendal... getting a small Lake District town to the Champions League final sounds like a laugh!

Aren't FC United effectively going to be the next AFC Wimbledon though? As in the biggest of the smallest teams? Not that that is a bad thing, I just imagine it'd be less of a challenge because they'd be richer, though tbh I know little about them.

Not sure whether to go with Whitby again or possibly Kendal... getting a small Lake District town to the Champions League final sounds like a laugh!

I imagine FC United will be a popular choice if they are available, I'm thinking of managing them myself.

I haven't really kept people updated but just to let you know I've just finished my first season in the prem with Tonbridge Angels. It's now 2021-22 - taken me ages, I've been on this challenge for months now. Spent the longest in BSP and the Championship. But it's been a success so far. First season in Prem I've finished 6th and qualified for Uefa Cup. Just sold a 4m cb for 20m to Arsenal. Title here we come!!!

I expect FC United will be the Gateshead of FM09.

It leaves me with a tough choice of either Marine or FC United assuming either get promoted.

Just could'nt get into it this year, choose halesowen and could'nt identify with them.

Looking foward to the fm09 challenge, i was hoping didcot would be in it but they fell at the last, still maybe fm10 (or AFC Totton).

Farnborough will be the biggest team by miles this year, in terms of rep, size and facilities, bigger i think than fc unitied.

Hi all another couple of season updates for you:

Chelseadaft Ilkeston Season 9 2015/1016 BSP.

Well what a nightmare this season has been. Derby cancelled their link to me as a parent club so had to search for another one. In the meantime another couple of players became unhappy and wanted to move on. Paul Bishop my steardy full back wanted to move so was sold for 100k (nice) and my DC who always played alongside a loanee wanted off too so he went for 18k. So i was struggling to sign players good enough to keep me up.

I searched for another parent club and was only offered Sheff Utd or Mansfield who had only just recently been promoted out of the BSP. Problem was Sheff Utd only had reserves who had been promoted from their youth side. Basically i didnt have a strong enough squad to survive but somehow managed it. Not a good season after the 8th place and a cup win to boot the season before! Screenies below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/squad8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/transfers8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/table8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%208/finances8.jpg

Chelseadaft Ilkeston 2016/2017 BSP.

Another bad season and more players becoming unhappy! Was a bit of a mess to be honest. I decided to renegotiate a parent club so cancelled the link with Sheff Utd on 7th July when it was the earliest opportunity to. Looked around again for a parent club and again was offered Mansfield or Notts County which wasn't good enough. So had to shop around the players that were available on loan that my assistant had identified on my seach screen and brought some in at the start of the season. Also brought in a couple of Sheff Utd players who had done ok for me the season before.

Struggled big time as more of my players wanted away at the start of the season but couldnt afford to sell them until replacements came in. So had to deal with pretty much the same standard squad i finished the season with and had the odd "unhappy" player. Wasn't too long before we found ourselves 22nd in the league and 10 games without a win.

Managed to wait before i could ask the board to look for another parent club and again was offered Sheff Utd, to got em on board again and brought in a fair few loanees again. Sold the players who wanted out and brought in one or two my scouts had found and managed to put a tidy run of games together to survive another season in the BSP. At the close of the season i have just been offered another 2 year deal but with the aim to avoid relegation so thats a start. Its about time i got out of this league!

Screenies below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/table9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/squad9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/transfers9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/chelseadaft/Season%209/finances9.jpg

My Career so far in my Dafuge Challenge (using basic general training & the default tactic)

Season 1 08/09 BSN Position 3rd.

Season 2 09/10 BSN Position 1st Promoted

Season 3 10/11 BSP Position 20th.

Season 4 11/12 BSP Position 22nd Relegated

Season 5 12/13 BSN Position 1st Promoted

Season 6 13/14 BSP Position 15th.

Season 7 14/15 BSP Position 8th. Setanta Shield Winners.

Season 8 15/16 BSP Position 18th.

Season 9 16/17 BSP Position 17th.

Just wondering - when Dafuge's challenge for FM09 sets off, how will the new features be implemented in the "Dafuge FM rules of engagement". I'm particularly interested in the new "Ask assistant for new loan signings" feature. Will it be mandatory to scout the suggested players? I don't know whether the assistant will ever propose players who you can't scout - but just in case.

Thanks in advance - can't wait to get started.

Guest roberto922

I forgot to mention, I've gone as AFC Wimbledon on the demo and I'm gonna get a parent club, I'll see if the loans are still unrealistic.

Guest roberto922

You can only have two long term players, is that how it's always been in BSS?

I've just got Josh Wright on loan who should rip the league apart so not much has changed.

Just wondering - when Dafuge's challenge for FM09 sets off, how will the new features be implemented in the "Dafuge FM rules of engagement". I'm particularly interested in the new "Ask assistant for new loan signings" feature. Will it be mandatory to scout the suggested players? I don't know whether the assistant will ever propose players who you can't scout - but just in case.

Thanks in advance - can't wait to get started.

Interesting thought, I'm assuming that the players that the assistant will recommend will be scoutable, but I think that these players should be ok to loan provided the assistant has recommended them.

Interesting thought, I'm assuming that the players that the assistant will recommend will be scoutable, but I think that these players should be ok to loan provided the assistant has recommended them.

The highlighted phrase were my initial thought as well, but it might not be as simple. Even in lower leagues you get the odd player (e.g. Anthony Robinson at Mansfield ) who originates from Barbados. If he were to be your player/assistant he could possibly recommend some player from Barbados, that your board under normal circumstances would not allow you to scout.

I hereby declare that signing players on loan as adviced by my assistant due to a new feature being implemented in FM09, will only occur after receiving minimum 1 additional scout report by either the assistant or a scout affiliated with the club managed by me

Whether or not this approach will be mandatory is not my decision - It's yours......I just feel it's right

I think it's reasonable to be allowed to sign players that your assistant knows about. These types of in-game features offer a realistic way to find talent, as opposed to stuff like the search engine and global transfers list. IMHO it should be encouraged, not limited.

The highlighted phrase were my initial thought as well, but it might not be as simple. Even in lower leagues you get the odd player (e.g. Anthony Robinson at Mansfield ) who originates from Barbados. If he were to be your player/assistant he could possibly recommend some player from Barbados, that your board under normal circumstances would not allow you to scout.

I hereby declare that signing players on loan as adviced by my assistant due to a new feature being implemented in FM09, will only occur after receiving minimum 1 additional scout report by either the assistant or a scout affiliated with the club managed by me

Whether or not this approach will be mandatory is not my decision - It's yours......I just feel it's right

I would be tempted to say that would be ok, seeing as in the past having a Bulgarian coach may give you access to tempting Bulgarian players in on trial to sign them. This one's still up for discussion though.

I've had a request for a rule change which will make a big impact on the first season, but it should be for the good.

For FM09, all people should load all players from England.

This should mean that the newly promoted clubs in the second season are full of real players rather than getting empty squads with a handful of youth regens. This request came from a head researcher for the lower leagues whose work often goes unnoticed because of the large database overlooking these players.

Thoughts?

I've had a request for a rule change which will make a big impact on the first season, but it should be for the good.

This should mean that the newly promoted clubs in the second season are full of real players rather than getting empty squads with a handful of youth regens. This request came from a head researcher for the lower leagues whose work often goes unnoticed because of the large database overlooking these players.

Thoughts?

I think that would be a good idea as you would then have to get the best out of what is already there and work to get some in within any budgets.

sometimes when signing a full team its too easy to sign a lot of good players to ensure promotion the first season.

I think that would be a good idea as you would then have to get the best out of what is already there and work to get some in within any budgets.

sometimes when signing a full team its too easy to sign a lot of good players to ensure promotion the first season.

Definitely. I've always found it more of a challenge taking over a team where a clearout is needed before rebuilding the squad. Starting with an empty squad is actually surprisingly easy.

Definitely. I've always found it more of a challenge taking over a team where a clearout is needed before rebuilding the squad. Starting with an empty squad is actually surprisingly easy.

Eastleigh is always a classic example of this, no transfer money or spare wage budget, high board asperations and a lot of dead wood in the squad.

Thoughts?

It should still be possible to use a retain players file to just retain all the players for the challenge teams, rather than retaining all english players - retaining all english players may be too much for some peoples computers.

I'm all for loading all players from England. Admittedly I'd rather start with an empty squad, but as has already been said; that's because it's easier to start from scratch than to deal with a bunch of contracted players you don't want. For the sake of realism and increasing the difficulty a tad (ha! like we needed that..) I think it's a good idea. To be honest I also sympathise with that head researcher whose work doesn't even come to show in a challenge like this...

It should still be possible to use a retain players file to just retain all the players for the challenge teams, rather than retaining all english players - retaining all english players may be too much for some peoples computers.

Do you know what sort of difference between the two we are looking at?

Would all English players be significantly different to just loading the three feeder leagues?

Would all English players be significantly different to just loading the three feeder leagues?

I don't know what the exact difference would be - the main difference would depend on the database size selected, I'm not sure but I don't think a small database would select all the youth players in the database for the english league sides.

I can run a couple of quick tests with fm08 to see what the difference is, though that would assume that fm09 database works in the same way.

I don't know what the exact difference would be - the main difference would depend on the database size selected, I'm not sure but I don't think a small database would select all the youth players in the database for the english league sides.

I can run a couple of quick tests with fm08 to see what the difference is, though that would assume that fm09 database works in the same way.

That would be great.

I'm thinking of using a large database with all English players loaded.

Same here, I'm gonna try and do it without a Premiership/Championship parent club too.

I'm tempted to go without a parent club as well, in the past I've always had one but not really used any loan players. I think the money/friendly will be the things I miss the most.

Thoughts?

I vote Yes. It feels more realistic and that's always a good thing in my book!

That would be great.

I'm thinking of using a large database with all English players loaded.

Using the FM08 8.0.2 database, running all english leagues you get the following amount of players:

PLAYERS
DEFAULT	RETAIN ENG	DDT
SMALL	9471	15496		10587
MED	10521	16724		11650
LARGE	12685	18838		13792

NON-PLAYERS
DEFAULT	RETAIN ENG	DDT
SMALL	4876	6886		5104
MED	4875	6905		5106
LARGE	4908	6939		5140

CLUBS
DEFAULT	RETAIN ENG	DDT
SMALL	2035	2228		2037
MED	2240	2386		2217
LARGE	2881	3055		2848

Retaining players from england adds an extra ~6,000 players and ~2,000 staff, whilst retainning just the players for the challenge teams adds ~1,000 players and 200 staff.

Also retaining all english players on the small database gives you a bigger database than the default large database - so retaining all english players on low spec machines may not be good.

Archived