Postal Strike (UK) - Will we get our game??

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I pre-ordered with Amazon about a month ago and despite it saying estimated delivery date 2nd November I am confident I may receive it on Friday 30th October because exactly the same was said last year when I pre-ordered it with Amazon that I'd get the game on Monday after the Friday it was released. Although I did do Super Saver Delivery and it does say some of those deliveries may be affected so I'll be lucky if I get it on the Friday or unlucky if I have to wait til Monday I guess. Amazon are very reliable in my opinion though so I'd go with them if anyone is considering changing their order.

EDIT: Infact I have updated mine to first class so I'll be disappointed not to get it on Friday now!

Ordered with Zavvi at £17, not confident about getting it on release day.

1. Because it's Zavvi.

2. Because of the postal strike.

I went 2 weeks (yes, 2 weeks) without mail a few months ago. At first I thought no one liked me and all my bills had been forgotton about, but alas, all the mail turned up a couple of weeks later, and none of it was in the right date order. The Post Office is one big mess these days.

I'm still pretty confident, this is what happened last day (FM09 release-day 14/10/09):

12/11/2008 Your order has been dispatched.

10/11/2008 Your order is currently being picked and packed.

10/11/2008 Your credit/ debit card has been authorised and your order is now being released for packing.

Funds will not be debited until your order is shipped.

09/11/2008 Your order is waiting for authorisation and release for packing.

So I recon if it'll be the same process this year I should get the first notice from Game early next week :)

Just got this from royal mail website.. sounds like they at least tryin to keep the post moving??

Today, Friday 23rd October, strikes are taking place at delivery offices and collections units across the country.

Staff at all mail centres (including some delivery staff) and network distribution centres have returned to work following yesterday’s stoppages at those units, although it may take a few days for services to get back to normal.

In most parts of the country mail deliveries and collections will be limited today.

Most collections normally made by delivery office and collection hub staff will be limited today, Collections usually performed by mail centre staff were affected by yesterday’s stoppage but should be made as normal today.

What we are doing to maintain and recover service

Royal Mail has strong contingency plans in place and we are doing everything possible to keep mail moving and minimise disruption for our customers.

Keeping mail moving - over 900 managerial and contract drivers will move mail around the country during the next two days.

Delivering mail – We’ll continue to prioritise and deliver Special Delivery™ and Royal Mail Tracked™ mail on strike days, however the nature of the CWU action means we cannot guarantee to do so. In order to provide customers with clear guidance on service, we have removed the Special Delivery guarantee for items posted yesterday and today, Friday 23rdOctober. We will restore the guarantee of delivery as soon as we can be sure we can honour the service promise, which we expect will be by Monday 26th October.

Use of around 5000 managerial and support people over the two days to do as much as possible to: maintain premium services, to open callers’ offices and to collect mail from Post Office branches and posting boxes.

Support the distribution of goods - we have 5 additional dedicated sorting centres in place to aid the distribution of packets through our network.

Deploy a targeted service recovery plan - concentrating substantial managerial and support resources on affected areas to deliver mail after the strikes and minimise delays.

We are really sorry for the significant disruption and inconvenience the CWU’s strike action will cause customers. Royal Mail continues to urge the CWU to call off all strikes and provide customers with the service they expect at this really important time of year.

Got this e-mail from GAME tonight at roughly 1800hrs....

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Football Manager 2010 is now being processed subject to successful payment being taken from your credit card when it is dispatched. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the day of release.

By using the GAME 1st To Play Preorder Service you have ensured that you will be among the first people to receive Football Manager 2010, and we are confident that you will be happy with the order, our service and our speedy delivery!

Got this e-mail from GAME tonight at roughly 1800hrs....

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Football Manager 2010 is now being processed subject to successful payment being taken from your credit card when it is dispatched. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the day of release.

By using the GAME 1st To Play Preorder Service you have ensured that you will be among the first people to receive Football Manager 2010, and we are confident that you will be happy with the order, our service and our speedy delivery!

Getting it dispatched is not the problem - it's getting it delivered ;)

I sent an e-mail to Zavvi and asked if the postal strike would affect me since I live outside the UK, and if the game would arrive on the release date.

This is the answer:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Your order will be despatched to you as soon as we receive stock from the manufacturer, this will be leading up to 30.10.09.

Once the item has been sent you will receive an e-mail confirming this. In the event of any delays we will keep you updated on the status of your order via email.

Delivery usually takes 10-15 working days from our warehouse in the Channel Islands.

We allow up to 30 working days for delivery before being able to trace lost items.

You can check the status of your order via your account details.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The status of my order is "Processing".

Another possible course of action is to not cancel an order from an online retailer (such as Zavvi) but to buy the game on the 30th from a physical shop if your Zavvi (or whoever) one hasn't arrived by then, and then send the Zavvi one back when it does arrive. A physical shop has no legal obligation to accept a return, but under EU law if you order items online you have a legal right to return them for any reason at all within 7 days of you receiving them. Although it's based in the Channel Islands, Zavvi seem to operate under English law so the EU directive applies.

Got this email yesterday from Game, so I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing myself:

I got the same e-mail from GAME. I've also checked the status of my order on their website, and it says that it's been released for packing.

Look at it this way though - if any deliveries are delayed, then at least activation will be spread out a bit, so there's less chance of a repeat of last year's issues.

I got the same e-mail from GAME. I've also checked the status of my order on their website, and it says that it's been released for packing.

Look at it this way though - if any deliveries are delayed, then at least activation will be spread out a bit, so there's less chance of a repeat of last year's issues.

It will be spread out anyway, as you dont *have* to activate FM this year.

My order with Zavvi is currently in "processing" and "awaiting stock pick" with an estimated despatch date of 30th Oct. I don't mind waiting for a few extra days due to the royal mail strike (well I do, but more for the actual strike but not the waiting). Loads of stuff ships from Channel Islands and I've had mixed experiences with companies shipping from their. Ordered a cd about a month ago that shipped from there and it took over a week to arrive but have ordered other stuff from there before and it has arrived within a couple of days.

From an American point of view - why does there always seem to be a postal strike around the release of FM? I want to say there was concern about this same issue last year around this time. Fortunately, for those in the USA who order the physical product, our postal service is not unionized.

Don't know if its been posted yet, last time i ordered with ShopTo and chose the UKMail option (£2) I got my pre-order on the wednesday, i.e. 2 days early! Saying that though, i don't know if the game will work til Friday (Activation and stuff) anyway but at least you'll have it by Friday.

My order from Game has been "released for packaging" earlier today, so all going fairly well... Seems like Game is trying to push it out a few days early so it arrives in time because last years FM09 order it was dispatched 2 days after it this stage :D

From an American point of view - why does there always seem to be a postal strike around the release of FM? I want to say there was concern about this same issue last year around this time. Fortunately, for those in the USA who order the physical product, our postal service is not unionized.

If a big postal strike is going to happen then it tends to be in the run up to christmas. Gives the unions more leverage when the delays start stacking up at the busiest time of the year.

My order from Game has been "released for packaging" earlier today, so all going fairly well... Seems like Game is trying to push it out a few days early so it arrives in time because last years FM09 order it was dispatched 2 days after it this stage :D

Sounds good. Game seem like the best option at the moment to get it on release day.

So Game have already got it in then? Hopefully Zavvi should have it aswell, and hopefully they'll do the same thing.

If a big postal strike is going to happen then it tends to be in the run up to christmas. Gives the unions more leverage when the delays start stacking up at the busiest time of the year.

I understand that, but why does it seem like its an annual occurrence?

senorcoo: Do you want the cold truth? And I WILL offend anyone working for Royal Mail, but keep in my this is coming from a Marxist...

As in every contry there has been a steady decline of mail being sent as the Internet and text messaging takes over, so there is less demand.

Royal Mail is a sluggish old fashioned company. If you miss a delivery it can be a nightmare getting your parcel off them, often having to physically go to a sorting office miles away in person. If they lose your mail you don't get any sympaty or compensation, or any other way they might mess up. If they damage something for you it can be a nightmare claiming.

So these postmen and postwoman are getting made redundant (which is a shame really) but it's only natural as Royal Mail is rubbish, absolute terrible company. But much like BT they were privatised as they used to be public-sector but for some reasons these companies can adjust to the fact they aren't fully banked-rolled by tax money anymore.

So these "posties" they have the most miliatant/extreme union leaders and members so naturally they kick up a fuzz about everything and strike EVERY SINGLE year. Which in turns makes more people turn to alternative mail/parcel carriers, which means they need to make more people redundant. And this is the yearly cirlce :(

senorcoo: Do you want the cold truth? And I WILL offend anyone working for Royal Mail, but keep in my this is coming from a Marxist...

As in every contry there has been a steady decline of mail being sent as the Internet and text messaging takes over, so there is less demand.

Royal Mail is a sluggish old fashioned company. If you miss a delivery it can be a nightmare getting your parcel off them, often having to physically go to a sorting office miles away in person. If they lose your mail you don't get any sympaty or compensation, or any other way they might mess up. If they damage something for you it can be a nightmare claiming.

So these postmen and postwoman are getting made redundant (which is a shame really) but it's only natural as Royal Mail is rubbish, absolute terrible company. But much like BT they were privatised as they used to be public-sector but for some reasons these companies can adjust to the fact they aren't fully banked-rolled by tax money anymore.

So these "posties" they have the most miliatant/extreme union leaders and members so naturally they kick up a fuzz about everything and strike EVERY SINGLE year. Which in turns makes more people turn to alternative mail/parcel carriers, which means they need to make more people redundant. And this is the yearly cirlce :(

1) Royal Mail is still 100% owned by the government making it a public company.

2) There are no redundancies, Royal Mail wont pay redundancy money! The jobs being lost are because of "natural wastage", ie people leaving and not being replaced.

3) You can get any parcel redeliverd, free of charge and a day that is convenient for you by phoninh the number on the back of the red card you get through your door.

1. Alright sorry , I've only live in the UK for 3 years I just presumed they were at least part-privatised. I stand corrected.

2. Well, they're cutting down on costs anyway...

3. Yes I know, but it's just a nightmare, though I will admit it used to be a lot worse than what it is now :p

I understand. Placing an insurance claim with our postal service isn't exactly a walk in the park.

here is my reply from zavvi after asking if i would still get the game on the 30th.. imo kinda seems like they are avoiding it but duno.

Thanks for contacting us at zavvi.

Please do not reply to us at this e-mail address as we will not receive your message. This is an automated response.

For your records, your original query was:

hi, im wondering what is going to happen with my order due to the postal strike from royal mail? when i ordered this i was ordering on the account that i would get it on the 30th will this still happen?

information about this will be great full

One of our customer services advisors has reviewed your query and we are able to confirm the following:

We despatch goods as soon as they arrive at our warehouse from the supplier and always try our best to send out and deliver pre-order items as close to the release date as possible.

It's just the same generated reply which is in all the other emails, they won't say anymore. The fact that some places claim they have delivery of FM now and are getting ready to dispatch means that Zavvi should be posting them ASAP, so who knows, we could get lucky.

Personally I'd rather wait an extra couple of days and save myself £13 anyway.

At the end of the day even if there wasn't a strike the game would probably turn up a day or two later, say this because i bought flashpoint 2 and did not get it until the monday even though it was released on the friday.

There was no strike so what ever the postal service is in a poor state, strike or no strike.

this another update from royal mail website ....

Important information about Royal Mail services next week

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has chosen to call further national strike action next week. The details are as follows:

Date Functions striking General service impact

Thursday 29th October Mail Centres & Network Distribution Units Limited processing, movement and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by staff at a Mail Centre).

Friday 30th October Manual Data Entry Centres (MDEC) No direct impact on mail services

Friday 30th October London Collections Hubs Limited collections in all parts of the SE, N, NW and WC postal districts. Limited collections in the E1, E2, E4, E5, E8 to E11, E17, E18, SW11 to SW20 postcode areas and all parts of the W district (except W5, W7, W13).

Collections in EC district as normal.

Saturday 31st October Delivery Offices Limited delivery and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by a Delivery Office)

so hopefully alot of us should get our fm2010's on the actual release date or maybe a day or 2 early

:D

another update from royal mail website

The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has chosen to call further national strike action next week. The details are as follows:

Thursday 29th October Mail Centres & Network Distribution Units Limited processing, movement and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by staff at a Mail Centre).

Friday 30th October Manual Data Entry Centres (MDEC) No direct impact on mail services

Friday 30th October London Collections Hubs Limited collections in all parts of the SE, N, NW and WC postal districts. Limited collections in the E1, E2, E4, E5, E8 to E11, E17, E18, SW11 to SW20 postcode areas and all parts of the W district (except W5, W7, W13).

Saturday 31st October Delivery Offices Limited delivery and collection of ordinary mail (if local collections performed by a Delivery Office)

so hopefully alot of us who are relying on rm to deliver to us our precious fm2010's should get it on release day. or maybe a day or 2 early :o

this another update from royal mail website ....

so hopefully alot of us should get our fm2010's on the actual release date or maybe a day or 2 early

:D

Ooh, that is interesting. It doesn't look as bad as I thought, at least, if you don't live in London. Friday looks good - every day helps. :thup:

Ooh, that is interesting. It doesn't look as bad as I thought, at least, if you don't live in London. Friday looks good - every day helps. :thup:

Its the Network strike on Thursday that will mess things up. Without the network division, nothing moves. It just backs up wherever the mail is.

Its the Network strike on Thursday that will mess things up. Without the network division, nothing moves. It just backs up wherever the mail is.

Yup, I sort of assumed that when it was announced as a 3-day strike, that everything stopped for 3 days. Seems like it's just 1 day, or 2 days for people in London.

Yup, I sort of assumed that when it was announced as a 3-day strike, that everything stopped for 3 days. Seems like it's just 1 day, or 2 days for people in London.

No, no. Your missing the point. The netwrok strike on thursday, will impact not only mail sent out by companies but also mail getting to your local delivery office from the regional mail centres. The movement will start again on friday of course, but the strikes are staggered in such a way to cause disruption on the whole. An example of this is that the strikes will usually start at 4am, so 1 strike day from each division will impact 2 days deliveries and collections.

Im just trying to speak from experience :)

i haben't understand a thing: this strike involve all the distribuation of the game in all of the world, or it's only a uk's problem?

Depends how different companies in different countries recieve their copies of the game. In the UK, copies to retailers are usually done by couriers like TNT, DHL or UKMail. I doubt it will affect other countries as i'd imagine the same applies and couriers are used.

Depends how different companies in different countries recieve their copies of the game. In the UK, copies to retailers are usually done by couriers like TNT, DHL or UKMail. I doubt it will affect other countries as i'd imagine the same applies and couriers are used.

i think that if the game will be released on 30th, the game will be in shops on 28-29, so before the strike...

No, no. Your missing the point. The netwrok strike on thursday, will impact not only mail sent out by companies but also mail getting to your local delivery office from the regional mail centres. The movement will start again on friday of course, but the strikes are staggered in such a way to cause disruption on the whole. An example of this is that the strikes will usually start at 4am, so 1 strike day from each division will impact 2 days deliveries and collections.

Im just trying to speak from experience :)

*blub* :(

Ah well, we'll all receive them in the end. Just hoping that Zavvi do indeed send the games out as soon as they get them like they said - some chap's already had his dispatched by GAME.

*blub* :(

Ah well, we'll all receive them in the end. Just hoping that Zavvi do indeed send the games out as soon as they get them like they said - some chap's already had his dispatched by GAME.

heard in the news and in todays papers that the royal mail have opened negotiations with the union over talks to end strike.. so fingers crossed that this gets resolved asap :o

Archived