Aw, c'mon SI, I didn't PROMISE him anything...

I get the standard press "are you going to give Richie Allen playing time?" question, and I respond, "there will be some rotation in the next few weeks" response, and next day there's a message from the assman saying that "recent comments in the press have led Allen expecting you to fulfill the following promise: more first team action". Thanks for making the "promise" system even MORE unpleasant than it was in FM 15. I hadn't even been approached by the player about playing time, and now a comment in the press becomes a "play me every game for 30 days or I get my knickers in the twist" promise. Because yeah, if he doesn't play every game, I'm going to hear about it for the full 30 days...every day.

Not the same but i had a similar one if the promise has been broken.

Player wants to leave to play Champions League football, i say we'll get it by the end of the season or i'll let him go, we fail to qualify and now the whole team is on my back (the day after the promise is broken) because i wouldn't let the player leave, even though i didn't get a chance to say anything to the player, like "sorry we didn't qualify, i'll let you go as soon as possible" i just get "Why won't you let "john" go?"

Happened more than once as well.

Not the same but i had a similar one if the promise has been broken.

Player wants to leave to play Champions League football, i say we'll get it by the end of the season or i'll let him go, we fail to qualify and now the whole team is on my back (the day after the promise is broken) because i wouldn't let the player leave, even though i didn't get a chance to say anything to the player, like "sorry we didn't qualify, i'll let you go as soon as possible" i just get "Why won't you let "john" go?"

Happened more than once as well.

Did he mistake letting him go for releasing him from his contract and not just selling him at the end of the season., could be he was expecting you to allow him to leave for free.

I get the standard press "are you going to give Richie Allen playing time?" question, and I respond, "there will be some rotation in the next few weeks" response, and next day there's a message from the assman saying that "recent comments in the press have led Allen expecting you to fulfill the following promise: more first team action". Thanks for making the "promise" system even MORE unpleasant than it was in FM 15. I hadn't even been approached by the player about playing time, and now a comment in the press becomes a "play me every game for 30 days or I get my knickers in the twist" promise. Because yeah, if he doesn't play every game, I'm going to hear about it for the full 30 days...every day.

You publicly said that there would be more rotation of players, therefore fringe players will get more playing time, therefore the fringe players have been promised more playing time.

Don't really see how that is complicated...

There is a simple answer here, do not make comments to the press like that? You have in effect intimated that you are going to play him more with the reply you gave. I never, ever, ever, talk to the press about my team selection.

There is a simple answer here, do not make comments to the press like that? You have in effect intimated that you are going to play him more with the reply you gave. I never, ever, ever, talk to the press about my team selection.

Problem is I have intimated that I'm going to play EVERYONE more in the next few weeks, but this guy's got a 30-day clock that if I don't play him in every game he's going to throw a fit. Friendlies don't count, cup games evidently don't count, and we only have 4-5 league games in that 30-day period, so even all 5 games won't fill his happiness bar. And also, the "news item" says that the player approached me asking for more playing time, but there's never an approach pre-news. So apparently, the player is lying to the press.

Problem is I have intimated that I'm going to play EVERYONE more in the next few weeks, but this guy's got a 30-day clock that if I don't play him in every game he's going to throw a fit. Friendlies don't count, cup games evidently don't count, and we only have 4-5 league games in that 30-day period, so even all 5 games won't fill his happiness bar. And also, the "news item" says that the player approached me asking for more playing time, but there's never an approach pre-news. So apparently, the player is lying to the press.

That seems like a bug to me if he is now saying you specifically promised him.

Well, that means the player is focusing more on the media instead of the manager. The player should really approach the manager asking for clarification in that case.

And when the player hasn't even had a chat with the manager himself either then i'd say something isn't right, when it's registered as a promise, without talking to the player himself.

Had the same surprise a couple of seasons ago. Apparently i had promised a player more playing time.

The difference in my situation was that the player had approached me. Told him to be patient because x player was in the form of his life.

Player was happy with that. I didn't promise a thing.

I don't get why a superficial answer to the media is more important than my actual talk with the player.

Especially when he was fine with how the chat went.

Not a bug. Seems like a fair outcome even if it is a misunderstanding on the player's part.

In real life, you wouldn't necessarily be able to manage the apprehension of your team either hence why managers tend to chose their words to the press very carefully.

I hate the plater interaction system as much as anyone, but don't really see a problem there.

If you've responded to a media question specifically about his playing time with "there will be some rotation in the next few weeks", I would fully expect the player to take that as he is going to get more playing time.

The issue is you don't really have any means to follow up with him specifically and clarify your comments.

I hate the plater interaction system as much as anyone, but don't really see a problem there.

If you've responded to a media question specifically about his playing time with "there will be some rotation in the next few weeks", I would fully expect the player to take that as he is going to get more playing time.

The issue is you don't really have any means to follow up with him specifically and clarify your comments.

Why do you need to?

You've specifically said that he'll get playing time to the media, are you then going to go & tell him you lied to them? I can't see any positive outcome coming from that.

Or the player could ask the manager if the media reports are true, as everyone knows that media likes to twist things all the time.

What i say to the media and what i say to the players might be two different things as i try to keep internal

issues within the club. And the players should/would know that.

Not adequate options to what i would want to respond to media with is also an issue at times.

I haven't tried this in FM16 but what happens if the Assistant is in charge of interviews and he says the same thing?

Does it count as a promise as well?

How is that going to work when he sees you saying it on TV with the words coming out of your mouth?

Everything and anything can be taken out of context.

Quite a few times i shake my head at what the media reports in this game myself, after having had an interview with them.

The replies i (want to) give and the replies the media reports can be quite different at times.

Why do you need to?

You've specifically said that he'll get playing time to the media, are you then going to go & tell him you lied to them? I can't see any positive outcome coming from that.

He hasn't specifically said anything, he's made a generalised comment which the player has taken as a specific promise. That's fine given the question asked, but I'd like to see a follow up interaction where the player then approaches you about it - if you say you were just giving the media a soundbite then he would become angrier, or if he has a soft personality understand how the media works.

Rotation means that the fringe player could expect a couple of appearances, maybe 2 or 3 in a 5 match run. However, FM's promise system then requires you to play him pretty much non-stop. That is why people are saying it is a bug (because it is).

i find these Q&As somewhat difficult, when the answer u want to give is not choosable, u choose the answer u think is the right answer for your intensions, and its not

Remember during a press conference, you can add your own sentence t the bottom.

Rotation means that the fringe player could expect a couple of appearances, maybe 2 or 3 in a 5 match run. However, FM's promise system then requires you to play him pretty much non-stop. That is why people are saying it is a bug (because it is).

Rotation means playing at least half the total game during a season, I do this regularly and have had no problems, only ones I get are youngsters wanting more game time but that's normal as they want to push into the main team.

I go to the Boss with a question about working on larger projects.

I get the company newsletter in my email and the Boss is quoted as saying "We'll be rotating the work around staff so everyone has the same opportunities".

I sit at my desk - each day - after day - after day - no new more interesting work coming my way...

Hey... Boss - you said you would and you haven't!

Other staff - heeyyyyy Boss - how come you haven't switched the heavy workload to some other team members?????

Union are now involved - well done Boss!

I Have an issue where i had informed the team in a pre season meeting that i intend to bring in some fresh faces to ensure my team can stay in the premier league. I feel i have done this, however most of my team do not and in my promises page 90% of my team feel my time is running out to strengthen the squad. Always with a countdown timer of 1 day. Managed to finish mid-table, but morale for team is abysmal (which made the last games of the season very difficult). I Cannot find any way to communicate with my players effectively. I Find the promises far to rigid and un-compromising. I proved to the team that i had indeed brought in sufficient members as we achieved the goal with the players i had brought in. Currently in the pre season of my second season in the prem and the players are still unhappy.

Rotation means playing at least half the total game during a season, I do this regularly and have had no problems, only ones I get are youngsters wanting more game time but that's normal as they want to push into the main team.

I agree completely. However, that is not what the OP is describing. If you promise rotation in the next few weeks - the game interprets it that you are promising to start them in virtually every game. That is not rotation, that is a bug. Either the wording of the question/response needs changing, or the resulting promise does.

I agree completely. However, that is not what the OP is describing. If you promise rotation in the next few weeks - the game interprets it that you are promising to start them in virtually every game. That is not rotation, that is a bug. Either the wording of the question/response needs changing, or the resulting promise does.

Because right now the game gives you 30 days to satisfy the promise, and if you're lower league and out of the cups, you may only play one league game a week (even if you are in the cups, they don't count towards the promise as far as I have witnessed.) You can start that promised player all 4 games, 90 minutes solid, and it still won't complete the promise. And if he's injured/not match fit for one of those games...forgetaboutit. And my original point is, the press says the player approached me and I blew him off, and yet I never was approached by him. Trying to placate him in the press by saying "there will be some rotation OF THE SQUAD" and having that become an iron-clad promise to make him and only him a key player for the next month...it's wrong, and should be fixed. STAT.

But it also indicates that he will be rotated out of the XI as well as rotated in to the XI.

Combine that with it being registered as a promise and you'll pretty much have to have him start every single game for

as long as the promise is active.Otherwise he'll (more than likely) kick up a fuss. That's not rotation.

Adding to that, that the player never approached the manager either and it can become a problem.

A statement to the media about something that wasn't an issue has become a promise directly to the player, without the player being involved.

A promise that was never meant as a promise, and will be something different to what the manager said.

Why are people presuming you will have to play him every game to keep from breaking the promise?

Has anyone actually continued and rotated the team to see what happens?

It honestly just sounds like the same complaints that people made last year and every save game I looked at showed the user was at fault.

Experience with similar promises makes me presume he'll have to play him every game.

Thats a part that I might consider a bug and should probably be evaluated by SI.

Once a promise has been made does the player only consider the games during the period of the promise or do they consider a longer period of time?

I am now finding that if I decline to talk to the player about 1st team playing time and start them in the next game, I get a message that they no longer want to leave because they're now happy with their playing time. But if I talk to them or mention rotation in the press, it becomes a problem.

I had a message that a center back had an argument about playing time and I had refused to let him leave (there was no discussion, no argument, no refusal on my part), the press came and asked me about it, I replied that "if he feels that strongly, maybe I'll let him leave". I went ahead and put him out for offer, get a message that the player is transfer listed but still "fiercely loyal and wanting to stay"...and then another mail item that due to my comments in the press, the player expects to be sold soon.

So...is he "fiercely loyal" or a little turncoat?

This feature (player interaction with a manager) is over done and needs to be re written.

It treats every random player as a superstar, and every request as an ultimatum that would bring down the football club. It also counts on my next job interviews as a broken promise!!!

press interviews and teammate revolt because I didn't give a young full back a couple of games :s

I know that we have some generic weirdos in this forum that embarrass themselves by defending the game blindly, They defend features that get removed in later versions and I hope this is one of them.

Also the key question here is does just naming the complaining players in the match squad or bringing them on in the last 10 mins counts as involving them?

I am now finding that if I decline to talk to the player about 1st team playing time and start them in the next game, I get a message that they no longer want to leave because they're now happy with their playing time. But if I talk to them or mention rotation in the press, it becomes a problem.

I had a message that a center back had an argument about playing time and I had refused to let him leave (there was no discussion, no argument, no refusal on my part), the press came and asked me about it, I replied that "if he feels that strongly, maybe I'll let him leave". I went ahead and put him out for offer, get a message that the player is transfer listed but still "fiercely loyal and wanting to stay"...and then another mail item that due to my comments in the press, the player expects to be sold soon.

So...is he "fiercely loyal" or a little turncoat?

Looks like he went to the press to force his hand, he wants to stay but also wants more playing time, he's hoping you give in and when you transfer listed him it surprises him. Yes he's fiercely loyal and wants to stay but expects to be sold soon because you have put him on the transfer list and he'll be sold asap.

This feature (player interaction with a manager) is over done and needs to be re written.

It treats every random player as a superstar, and every request as an ultimatum that would bring down the football club. It also counts on my next job interviews as a broken promise!!!

press interviews and teammate revolt because I didn't give a young full back a couple of games :s

I know that we have some generic weirdos in this forum that embarrass themselves by defending the game blindly, They defend features that get removed in later versions and I hope this is one of them.

Also the key question here is does just naming the complaining players in the match squad or bringing them on in the last 10 mins counts as involving them?

Thats just not true I'm afraid.

The only users that have complained about the player promises are the ones that aren't managing their squads effectively.

Its been proven time & time again when these users upload their saves that the players complaints are realistic.

I probably average about 2/3 complaints a season from players in my squad which is far less than the users that complain & even then every complaint I receive is because the player is right to compain based on his playing time/squad role/ability or simply that the player is a bit of a whinger complaining earlier than others due to his personality.

If you have a problem upload your save and the situations will be explained to you but you need to be realistic with your expectations. If not you are no better than the players who are complaining in your save!

The only users that have complained about the player promises are the ones that aren't managing their squads effectively.

Its been proven time & time again when these users upload their saves that the players complaints are realistic.

I probably average about 2/3 complaints a season from players in my squad which is far less than the users that complain & even then every complaint I receive is because the player is right to compain based on his playing time/squad role/ability or simply that the player is a bit of a whinger complaining earlier than others due to his personality.

If you have a problem upload your save and the situations will be explained to you but you need to be realistic with your expectations. If not you are no better than the players who are complaining in your save!

It is true I'm afraid.

Promises and players complaining are two separate things. I have no problem at all with moaning players throwing their toys out of the pram. They can complain to me, they can complain to their team mates, they can complain in the press. That's all fine by me.

What I continue to take issue with the fact that promises to play or sell or whatever continue to be made without my express consent. If I make a promise to someone I'll tell the individual unequivocally. If they on the other hand want to take a comment in the press and completely misconstrue it then that's their look out.

Responding to the question: "Player X is clearly trying to force a move away from the club, how are you going to handle it?" with "If he doest want to be here, I won't force him to stay" SHOULD NOT result in the promise being made to sell him! It should either lead him to put in a transfer request or come to me for showdown talks.

At the very least you should be informed that selecting a response in conversation will lead to you making a promise.

It is true I'm afraid.

Promises and players complaining are two separate things. I have no problem at all with moaning players throwing their toys out of the pram. They can complain to me, they can complain to their team mates, they can complain in the press. That's all fine by me.

What I continue to take issue with the fact that promises to play or sell or whatever continue to be made without my express consent. If I make a promise to someone I'll tell the individual unequivocally. If they on the other hand want to take a comment in the press and completely misconstrue it then that's their look out.

Responding to the question: "Player X is clearly trying to force a move away from the club, how are you going to handle it?" with "If he doest want to be here, I won't force him to stay" SHOULD NOT result in the promise being made to sell him! It should either lead him to put in a transfer request or come to me for showdown talks.

At the very least you should be informed that selecting a response in conversation will lead to you making a promise.

I have to say that I 100% agree with this- I was a somewhat disappointed to discover this was "stealthed" into the new version without any advance warning (though to be fair, a lot of FM features are found out this way and always have been), and I much prefer directly making a promise rather than one being assumed because of a press conference answer or a team meeting. At the very least, it should prompt any concerned player to ask directly for clarification from you. At this point, I have found "no comment" to be a good choice when dealing with unhappy player questions, but the team meeting one is a bit more of a trap.

I'm the same as you, 3/4 of the way through the season and only 2 players complaining with realistic complaints. One a young up and coming CH who wants to wins things and the other a back up midfielder who wanted more game time which I couldn't give him due to the team playing so well. The CH is getting more games and he's happy and the back up was sold in January as he was only a decent players and I had youngsters who could fill in when needed. I rotate my team quite a lot and the squad harmony is very high indeed.

Mouthing off in the media does count as a promise. I have a guy who thinks he's better than he is and I've beefed him privately. It went public and I said he could go and it turned into a promise.

One touch I did like though was I had a little AGN box next to one of my other players which showed they agreed that the other player shouldn't be playing for the team. Liked that. Nice touch.

Mouthing off in the media does count as a promise. I have a guy who thinks he's better than he is and I've beefed him privately. It went public and I said he could go and it turned into a promise.

One touch I did like though was I had a little AGN box next to one of my other players which showed they agreed that the other player shouldn't be playing for the team. Liked that. Nice touch.

I had one pop get "made" through an end of season team meeting. Following promotion I said we could stay up with the right additions to the squad- several players took that as a promise. I was a little taken aback, as it was unexpected, but it was a nice touch also.

Is this not a good thing? People complain Press Conferences are boring, don't matter, click without looking at the question etc.

Now they matter more.

If one of the options on the Press Conferences charged me £50 of real money they would matter more too - but still wouldn't be a good thing :lol:

It is true I'm afraid.

Your response above is to a slightly different issue than the one I was referring to in my post.

qwerty22 was talking about players complaining, not about press conference replies turning into promises.

In terms of press conferences it depends on the wording IMO. In the OPs example I think its fine to turn it into a promise but in your example:

"Player X is clearly trying to force a move away from the club, how are you going to handle it?" with "If he doesn't want to be here, I won't force him to stay"

I wouldn't consider that a promise to sell him.

I disagree Cougar. He doesn't want to be there so in his mind I, as manager, should be doing summat about it. What should also happen at that point is for the player than to demand to be listed and/or agree to a contract termination. If that behaviour from the player side isn't happening then that is where it needs to be improved.

I will stress that I've recently seen a 'hints and tips' that said 'players will pay more attention to you in press conferences, either good or bad' or something along those lines

@45 - I wouldn't consider that a promise either, but it's basically putting him on the transfer list if he wants out (which he clearly does given that he's trying to force a move away)

Archived