Do I have to use Steam to install and play FM 2016

Hello All,

please forgive me if I'm multiplying question, but I just couldn't find a thread like that.

So, my question is like in subject. The issue is - I DONT want to install STEAM at all, but I want to play FM2016 (online/offline). Would it be possible?

Best regards

Luke

You probably should've posted this in General Discussion, but I'll answer anyway.

Yes, you will almost certainly have to install Steam to play FM16 (and any future editions further down the line). You will not be able to play FM16 without the Steam service.

If you want to play FM offline, I'd advise reading this. Playing in Offline Mode is probably your best option if you really don't like using Steam but want to play a game exclusive to that service. Please bear in mind that you will have to go back online to install any future updates.

Personally haven't had any problems at all with Steam. Always quite surprised when people are so against using it.

I have also never understood the negativity with Steam, I have over 200 games in my steam account and have never had a problem with them.

I got a Steam account specifically for FM, never use it for anything else and have never had any issues with it.

Same here.

Can't see or understand why some people see it as an issue.

I kind of miss the old days of buying a boxed game, cracking it open, reading the manual while installing the game (on several floppy disks)...but I don't think I've bought a game in a box for 5 years now (I'm not even sure where they sell games in boxes anymore). Much easier pasting a code into the Steam validation box, clicking install, and not having to worry about setting up the game for my computer. My only problem with Steam: my daughter's always playing "Dragon Age" on my Steam account so I have to play FM off-line.

My only problem with Steam is that I cannot help myself with they have their sales, I have so many unplayed classics that have been picked up for less than £10 it's starting to get silly.

I kind of miss the old days of buying a boxed game, cracking it open, reading the manual while installing the game

You mean you actually read the manuals? :eek: (I'm probably around the same age as you btw ;) )

My only problem with Steam: my daughter's always playing "Dragon Age" on my Steam account so I have to play FM off-line.

Sorry to break it to you, but you really need to man up and take back your Steam... :lol:

Had steam for about 6 or 7 years and the only problem I've ever had is when the system itself goes down which is very very rarely. Steam is excellent. Even though, as already pointed out, it becomes hard to resist those special offers, especially when 75 or 80% offers start appearing.

No, Steam is a DRM and have to be installed, it can detect lack of Internet and will run in Offline mode, but you need Internet once to purchase/activate the "cdkey", game will run in Offline mode, unlike Diablo III, Starcraft II and SimCity(2013) where you need to have Internet all the time.

My only problem with Steam: my daughter's always playing "Dragon Age" on my Steam account so I have to play FM off-line.

You should create a Steam account for her, and give her family access to your account, that way you can play FM online while she plays DA. The only restriction is you can't both play the same game at the same time.

I'm incredibly annoyed with Steam because some comments in here about offline mode aren't accurate. I often go away for work and some hotels don't have WiFi. When I load Steam up, it often requires an update and if I can't complete it, it won't load any games. It can get very annoying not having access to something I've bought because of Steam.

Offline mode does work once you can get Steam loaded but if the actual application itself requires updating, you're screwed.

I'd like the option to overrule Steam by inserting the CD for those occasions.

I'm incredibly annoyed with Steam because some comments in here about offline mode aren't accurate. I often go away for work and some hotels don't have WiFi. When I load Steam up, it often requires an update and if I can't complete it, it won't load any games. It can get very annoying not having access to something I've bought because of Steam.

Offline mode does work once you can get Steam loaded but if the actual application itself requires updating, you're screwed.

Set Steam to offline mode before you close Steam off and while you still have internet connection and it will work in offline mode without needing any updates.

If you know you are going away for work then first set Steam to offline before you go.

This is where forward planning helps, Put it in offline mode before you leave and you should have no issues. It only takes seconds and it means you are prepared if you suddenly have to go somewhere with no internet

This is where forward planning helps, Put it in offline mode before you leave and you should have no issues. It only takes seconds and it means you are prepared if you suddenly have to go somewhere with no internet

Please, forward planning to play a game (even if it is one of the best considering playing time and the money one has to invest)? Steam should always start no matter what.

Please, forward planning to play a game (even if it is one of the best considering playing time and the money one has to invest)? Steam should always start no matter what.

It does usually if your username/password is saved on the machine.

The only time that it can be a problem is if Steam needs an update.

I am pretty sure that with Steam it updates your system so that the next time you start Steam it will add the update, if it is been 'told' to add an update and it can't access the internet it will not start until the update has been added.

As I said earlier, if you set Steam to 'Offline' and then start it 'Offline' and it works fine then it will work all the time until you set it back to online, then it will check for updates.

It's hardly a lot of work to simply set it to 'Offline' and then check it works fine before you go away from home or if you know you will not have internet for whatever reason.

Surely that's an issue you should raise on the Steam forums? FM is using Steam as a DRM and a storefront to sell the game. Like it or lump it... is the general consensus from SI and Sega.

If you want to play in offline mode, ensure your offline mode is working before you travel.

Bit like google maps - I'll download the route and maps for offline mode when I'm in a Wifi zone before traveling so i don't have to use my GPS or mobile data on the go. Saves my battery and my wallet.

What's this? Forward planning before I drive somewhere... surely not...

It's the way of the future.

For the record, I play on and offline mode a lot of the time - and never had an issue.

Forward planning in your situation would help, I am sure you are rarely in a situation where you don't have 30 seconds to get your steam into offline mode before you leave

Forward planning in your situation would help, I am sure you are rarely in a situation where you don't have 30 seconds to get your steam into offline mode before you leave

Yeah it's not exactly hard, just change Steam to offline before closing it down.

If you can't manage that little bit of forward planning then tough you won't be playing it.

Nice that you're all on the same page. However i never said i find myself in that situation, i learned my lesson the first time FM went on Steam. Just saying i also understand people that are not on board the steamship.

Nice that you're all on the same page. However i never said i find myself in that situation, i learned my lesson the first time FM went on Steam. Just saying i also understand people that are not on board the steamship.

and now you have a blinkered view and don't want to re-evaluate the product to get a balanced one.

The bottom line is there is very little to dislike about Steam and a whole lot of positives for a user.

and now you have a blinkered view and don't want to re-evaluate the product to get a balanced one.

The bottom line is there is very little to dislike about Steam and a whole lot of positives for a user.

How does using a product but also understanding or trying to understand other peoples concerns gives me the blinkered view is beyond me.

How does using a product but also understanding or trying to understand other peoples concerns gives me the blinkered view is beyond me.

Nothing to do with using the product, everything to do with the posts you have made about it.

Are any of you in the "Steam is perfectly ok, works fine and is no problem" crowd concerned with internet privacy at all? No? Thought not. Some people are though. If you're not concerned with such matters at all, then everything is fine and dandy, of course.

Are any of you in the "Steam is perfectly ok, works fine and is no problem" crowd concerned with internet privacy at all? No? Thought not. Some people are though. If you're not concerned with such matters at all, then everything is fine and dandy, of course.

Where does that come in to it? I guess Valve and SI will be able to see how long you've spent playing, but is that a big deal?

No, the problems with Steam are for people who either mainly or only play FM, making Steam a pointless requirement rather than a useful tool, or people who travel a lot or otherwise don't have a steady internet connection.

Deja vu :rolleyes: we're not going down this road again thanks.

You require steam to play FM16, if you set it up properly you shouldn't have any issues, but if you do you'll need to take it up with Steam.

The end.

Archived