Consortium takeover - will I get sacked?

Hello folks

I'm in my fourth season managing Barnet. I'm playing in Classic mode if that is significant. First two seasons I got successive promotions, then last season I finished mid-table (and won the Johnsons Paint trophy!) when I was expected to be relegated. I've started this season well, really trimmed the wage bill, made quite a bit of cash on transfers and signed some decent players with high potential but on low contracts. All in all, I'm really enjoying the game. (And not doing too badly if I say so myself!)

Now I've got rumours of a consortium looking to takeover the club. The club have put a transfer embargo on until the situation is resolved. This much is fine, I'm not looking to sign anyone. The last couple of games however, Fat Sam Allardyce has been spotted in the crowd and there are rumours that I might be replaced.

Am I going to get the chop? I can accept that I would if I was doing poorly, but that isn't the case. I will be royally p*$%ed off if I do for no other reason than the game deciding that this is happening.

Can people suggest what things I can do to ensure I can carry on with the club. I am saving regularly, so I have a few 'checkpoints' I can scroll back to.

Thanks for looking folks

You can only do your best to win games and generally do as well as you can. Anything else is out of your hands. It's up to the consortium to decide. Sometimes they're reasonable and other times they want their "own" man to have the job. Best of luck!

It's a feature that clearly adds realism, as it's a regular occurance in real life take over situations, but I find it a bit unnecessary to have it in FM. Someone like the OP can spend hour after hour in the game, only to have it ruined.

The only advice is what HUNT3R says really.

I do wonder, if starting off as an international footballer helps in this situation. ie the club already has a big name manager, so might be less likely to look for that marquee replacement.

I've played FM since 2008 and have never been sacked during a takeover. I think it is possible, but very rare. So long as you're meeting the goals of your Board, they shouldn't have a reason to get rid of you.

I've been through several takeovers, and as long as you keep the rudder steady during the process (and you have a decent salary and time on the contract), they never sack you. They often talk about a replacement, but I think changing managers in the middle of a season for no good reason rarely results in a positive outcome. Besides, I don't think the game WANTS to put you out of work as a narrative device.

I've played FM since 2008 and have never been sacked during a takeover. I think it is possible, but very rare. So long as you're meeting the goals of your Board, they shouldn't have a reason to get rid of you.

I got sacked on FM07 due to a takeover without a chance to prove myself (it was the end of the season), I was not happy.

Things have improved a lot since then, the board takes into consideration what you have done for the club in the past which can add a bit of security.

I got sacked on FM07 due to a takeover without a chance to prove myself (it was the end of the season), I was not happy.

Things have improved a lot since then, the board takes into consideration what you have done for the club in the past which can add a bit of security.

That's good that the board considers your history. I'd be pissed off if I was sacked without reasons beyond "cause I wanted to!"

I have been sacked by the new board takeover, but I had a save before that particular day...after about 5 tries(reloads), I was finally not sacked, so this makes me think, that there might be a percentual chance to either be, or not be sacked. And it might vary on your up to date performance.

I agree with Tush. I had a takeover and I got sacked but after two reloads of a save about 5 days before the sacking I kept my job.

Normally I wouldn't reload but I was having a decent Norwich save and I've had trouble getting into the game this year and wouldn't of had the motivation to start over somewhere else.

I'm having another takeover; the first one (which was back when I was in League 2) wanted a dutch coach, and of course the second ALSO wants a dutch coach. So they want Frank Rijkaard, who's been on literally 5 teams in the past 6 years. Meanwhile I'm 4th in the Premier league...

• 2 months later...

Playing in League One in England, predicted to finish last, but after 41 matches my team is top of the table and I am classified as untouchable. Well...I was. The new board sacked me.

The best part, my former team coasted over the final 5 matches to win the title, and this ended up in my news feed:

One fan spoke for everyone when he declared that (my replacement manager) was the prime reason for the team's success.

Thanks for twisting the knife.

This feature is so unnecessary, and while realistic, it doesnt add any value to the game. It just detracts from the whole experience imo to get sacked through no fault of your own. SI have weird priorities sometimes. There is a ton of unfinished business in the game's coding, why would they even invest precious working hours into this when many other areas clearly need work?

This feature is so unnecessary, and while realistic, it doesnt add any value to the game. It just detracts from the whole experience imo to get sacked through no fault of your own. SI have weird priorities sometimes. There is a ton of unfinished business in the game's coding, why would they even invest precious working hours into this when many other areas clearly need work?

To add realism, as with many other little features. They should allow an option to turn off takeover sackings (or sackings altogether). However, if you disagree with it then, following the same logic, eventually SI would have to allow you to turn off mistakes, then losses, then conceding goals, since they also can happen through no fault of your own and be a bit random.

• 1 month later...

This has just happened to me at Ipswich.

When I joined them they had a dreadful squad with a lot of players on high wages. I got rid of the dead wood, slashed the wage bill, brought in some quality coaches, bought some good quality players including plenty for the future (mostly poached from my previous club), and managed to finish 4th in the Championship in my first season. My job security was rated as untouchable.

At the start of the 2nd season there was a takeover and the new board sacked me in favour of Dougie Freedman!

A month into the new season and I'm still without a job. :-(

This has just happened to me at Ipswich.

When I joined them they had a dreadful squad with a lot of players on high wages. I got rid of the dead wood, slashed the wage bill, brought in some quality coaches, bought some good quality players including plenty for the future (mostly poached from my previous club), and managed to finish 4th in the Championship in my first season. My job security was rated as untouchable.

At the start of the 2nd season there was a takeover and the new board sacked me in favour of Dougie Freedman!

A month into the new season and I'm still without a job. :-(

I could understand a new chairman wanting to get rid of a manager who is doing poorly or only just meeting expectations but it makes no sense to me that they would want to replace one that is overachieving. I'm coming towards the end of the second season in my current save and recently found out that my club's chairman is considering selling. I'm doing well at the moment (job status is at 'very secure') so hopefully I don't get fired if a takeover happens. I won't be pleased if I do get fired because of this!

I had a new consortium takeover towards the end of my 2nd season at Newcastle. I had finished 5th the season before and was hovering around 5th/6th at the time they had taken over which meant I was doing quite well. However, I had been hammered 4-1 in the FA cup QF against West Brom and well beaten 6-2 on aggregate by Zenit in the last 16 of the Europa League so I was quite worried. In the end, I kept my job (rightly so) and clinched 4th on the last day of that season. It was a relief because I don't think I could've motivated myself to start again or carry on with that save. The board chose to back me and I have built quite a formidable squad since then.

This.

(10CHR)

Hmmm.... an update on my game.

Ipswich sacked Dougie Freedman after 18 games in charge. I have applied 3 or 4 jobs in the Championship. I ended up applying for the Leicester job. I didn't get it as I was overlooked for the recently sacked Dougie Freedman! :-)

Dougie is following me around like a bad smell.

After 6 months I'm still jobless so I might have to step down to League 1 / League 2.

To add realism, as with many other little features. They should allow an option to turn off takeover sackings (or sackings altogether). However, if you disagree with it then, following the same logic, eventually SI would have to allow you to turn off mistakes, then losses, then conceding goals, since they also can happen through no fault of your own and be a bit random.

Slope seems pretty slippery over there...

I don't see why sackings should be based on anything other than form, leaking stuff to the press and declaring interest in/applying for other roles. Introducing a potential sacking over what seems like nothing more than a toss of the coin doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

People will argue realism and that's fine, but if random takeover sackings were never in the game I doubt you'd have people i the suggestions thread saying "I'd like it if after a board takeover, you could randomly lose your job".

To me it's a dumb feature which can only serve to ruin someone's successful save.

I just went through a takeover with my Chinese club. The new chairman informed me he planned to replace me, but seeing how the season prior I had taken the club to it's highest league position ever, he decided to change his mind.

Which is good as I have been doing my best to sign the best young talent in the league; I have 8 players in the Chinese U21s.

It's a case of if you face don't fit you will go eventually,it's part of life sometimes you cannot win no matter how hard you try.

The writing was on the wall for Raineri the day Roman took over.Mark Hughes and City . Would winning anything have kept their Job's and we've seen since Two titles isn't a guarantee at Chelsea.

Why hasn't Alan Curbishley got employed post West Ham after what he achieved at Charlton?He was linked to the same job's as Ian Dowie,Ian Holloway and others who get the job's,get sacked again and then employed again?

George Graham after being one of the most successful Manager's of Arsenal then had two short appointments one he couldn't win over the fans no matter what he'd done and hasn't worked since 2001 is it His tactics that put employers off?Could yours be having similar circumstances?

Archived