77 games without losing. 1 defeat and now 1 win in 14 resulting in the sack:/

Did the AI suddenly crack my tactics ? I highly doubt it because I flip between three trusted, tried and tested tactics....

I went from completely dominating every game ( watching in extended highlights ), with my team pinging the ball all over the place, scoring goals for fun, CL winners, WCC,FA cup, League Cup, Euro Super Cup winners the season before. Then I suddenly got beaten against a team in a league lower than me in the League Cup. Fair enough, I did play a weakened side. I then went on a run of 1 win in 14, having been 17 points clear in the Premiership. Of course I changed my tactics as I had done for the previous 3 seasons to fit the opposition with great success, winning back to back CL and Premierships. And now this.

Playing as MUFC. 1 defeat and then suddenly, after a run of 70 wins and 7 draws and having by far the best side in the world, I suffer 1 defeat ( I played six 1st team world class regulars and five from my U-21 team who were are all wonderkids ), then I go on a run of 3 defeats/draw/6 defeats/win/3 defeats/ sacked.

I was alternating my team, I tried boosting morale, I changed tactics, I spoke 1 on 1 with players. Yet consistently got beaten by teams with absolutely no form whatsoever who were fielding players with circa 85% fitness. Got no idea what happened, and because I don't ever have a roling 3 month save, I'm left without a job....Its like Barcelona getting beaten by Elche weak in weak out for 14 weeks. Meh, guess I'll be applying for jobs and never using these tactics ever again in this save because it was that apparent. I've got no idea what went wrong....I'm not drunk, I've not had an argument with my gf...just seemed like the AI flicked a switch and cracked 3 different tactics and there was no coming back :/

Not per se, but people have said that opposing managers will adapt to your tactics over time. Not sure if that's a fact or just speculation.

They change their approach towards your team as your reputation changes. The more renowned you become, the more cautious teams in general will become towards you. It basically translates to meaning that the more holes there are in your tactic, the more likely you are to get caught out because of them.

They change their approach towards your team as your reputation changes. The more renowned you become, the more cautious teams in general will become towards you. It basically translates to meaning that the more holes there are in your tactic, the more likely you are to get caught out because of them.

I was just about to bite to oddspundits remark...I will go back and have a look at the highlights and find out what went wrong but essentially your right Ackter. I'm not crying, I like the challenge. Just don't like to think that morale is everything. Rooney hasn't been in the best frame of mind for quite a while, but when he gets on the pitch he remains as committed as ever. However I would equally accept that teams on a bad run start to look inwardly and can defeat themselves.

Having played for many years this is the first time something like this has happened, hence the post. Does it make my tactics weak? Maybe. Does it mean I'm a failure overnight? hardly, the previous 4 seasons and the 77 games unbeaten are testament to that. Not sure what went wrong as yet, but I'll get to the bottom of it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my lack of man management though. I do have a save from 9 months previously, but if I went back to then that would be cheating right?

I've had a similiar problem in that my team has gone from challenging for promotion in League 2 (play-off final) one season, to scrapping for relegation (22nd) the next. My players, tactics and formation is EXACTLY the same as the year before and should be stronger because most of my players are young with League 1/Championship potential. I just wish I knew what to change since there's no reason the tactics and players that worked so well before should suddently turn to crap. The only reason I can think of is Morale must be much more punishing in this version, so if you perhaps lose 2 games in a row due to bad luck it's very difficult to turn things around.

I like the challenge and all I just wish I knew what I could change, usually I can accept underperforming but I'm about to get sacked with a team that is stronger than last season and is somehow 18 positions lower in the league using exactly the same tactics.

Not at all. The leftback was awful ( Luke Shaw ), but I had kinda thought I'd got rid of that issue by playing both fullbacks as Defend, with the team instructions as be more disciplined and stick to positions in a very very rigid formation. Alaba is my main LB and average 7.2 last season, but he got injured with a cruciate in the game immediately before it all went pear shaped. Does that mean I can blame Luke Shaw for this? :) , so it was definately working last year...tbh never had an issue with Rafael at RB, or ever at all with my right backs. For me, its always been the LB that can throw in a 4.5 for no reason in consecutive games.

Media never really got on my back that much, and the last board update said they were pleased.....guess it just got too much for them. I do tniker alot and flip between three tactics and rotate a lot, but doing that had worked for the previous 4 seasons.

I've had a similiar problem in that my team has gone from challenging for promotion in League 2 (play-off final) one season, to scrapping for relegation (22nd) the next. My players, tactics and formation is EXACTLY the same as the year before and should be stronger because most of my players are young with League 1/Championship potential. I just wish I knew what to change since there's no reason the tactics and players that worked so well before should suddently turn to crap. The only reason I can think of is Morale must be much more punishing in this version, so if you perhaps lose 2 games in a row due to bad luck it's very difficult to turn things around.

I like the challenge and all I just wish I knew what I could change, usually I can accept underperforming but I'm about to get sacked with a team that is stronger than last season and is somehow 18 positions lower in the league using exactly the same tactics.

Feel your pain. I've just been appointed manager of "Oil Rich" Montpellier :) Screw you MUFC. Gonna make you pay.

Not at all. The leftback was awful ( Luke Shaw ), but I had kinda thought I'd got rid of that issue by playing both fullbacks as Defend, with the team instructions as be more disciplined and stick to positions in a very very rigid formation. Alaba is my main LB and average 7.2 last season, but he got injured with a cruciate in the game immediately before it all went pear shaped. Does that mean I can blame Luke Shaw for this? :) , so it was definately working last year...tbh never had an issue with Rafael at RB, or ever at all with my right backs. For me, its always been the LB that can throw in a 4.5 for no reason in consecutive games.

Media never really got on my back that much, and the last board update said they were pleased.....guess it just got too much for them. I do tniker alot and flip between three tactics and rotate a lot, but doing that had worked for the previous 4 seasons.

Putting a full back on defend doesn't sort this problem. If you look at Shaw's playing stats he probably played pretty good or at least as good as your other full back but there is a fault with the game rating full backs performance. There could well lie the problem.

I've played all kinds of ways with full backs and different kinds of full backs at different clubs and it's always the same. Once that full back right or left, starts to get 4 for a rating the media and past legends of the club start demanding he is dropped, affecting his morale and you can't win for toffee.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next patch.

I do remember one version of FM was more 'morale manager' than football manager.

This version isn't that bad.

Personally I would cherry pick an easy home game, try and hold a team meeting before it to raise morale, then send them out with 'go and enjoy yourself' team talk. Normally does the trick.

Putting a full back on defend doesn't sort this problem. If you look at Shaw's playing stats he probably played pretty good or at least as good as your other full back but there is a fault with the game rating full backs performance. There could well lie the problem.

I've played all kinds of ways with full backs and different kinds of full backs at different clubs and it's always the same. Once that full back right or left, starts to get 4 for a rating the media and past legends of the club start demanding he is dropped, affecting his morale and you can't win for toffee.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next patch.

If any player is playing a 4, even with the slightly bugged current ratings, he should be dropped and is having a terrible game. My full backs average about 6.8, which i dont class as good compared to what im seeing, but anyone playing a 4 would be dropped and usually fined.

Issues do not revolve around full backs getting low ratings.

If any player is playing a 4, even with the slightly bugged current ratings, he should be dropped and is having a terrible game. My full backs average about 6.8, which i dont class as good compared to what im seeing, but anyone playing a 4 would be dropped and usually fined.

Issues do not revolve around full backs getting low ratings.

Yes they do. They are not getting low ratings because of poor performances. I've watched the games and seen their stats.

Stop giving us the old baloney about the game being perfect and "it's your tactics" because it isn't. As stated above I've tested it with different full backs and different settings. There is a problem with full back ratings every so often.

Yes they do. They are not getting low ratings because of poor performances. I've watched the games and seen their stats.

Stop giving us the old baloney about the game being perfect and "it's your tactics" because it isn't. As stated above I've tested it with different full backs and different settings. There is a problem with full back ratings every so often.

So all issues can be related back to full backs getting low ratings? Stop speaking absolute nonsense.

I never once said it was perfect, or said it was anyone tactics, but if a full back is getting a 4 he is having a bad game, i dont care what your distorted view of football tells you.

ademac could you try this.?

Just before your bad run of results, go on holiday but tell your ass. man. to keep your formation. Compare the results he is having with yours.

Unfortunately I can't. I'd already saved the game and the only other save I have is 9 months previously.

So all issues can be related back to full backs getting low ratings? Stop speaking absolute nonsense.

I never once said it was perfect, or said it was anyone tactics, but if a full back is getting a 4 he is having a bad game, i dont care what your distorted view of football tells you.

So how does a full back get a rating of 4.0?

Not getting his tackles right? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

Passes being poorer? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

Heading stats being worse? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

And so on. Because it hasn't affected your game does not mean it does not exist. I have noticed it. If his stats in these games were worse than the left back then I would put it down to tactics or his consistency maybe or perhaps is abilities. To me clearly the fullback ratings need "tweaking".

I shall send my stuff to SI and if they agree they'll alter it.

Until then I'm happy to agree to disagree. :D

I think I know what your getting at. Since I became aware of the issue ( for me its especially my left back ), I essentially add 1 to the rating I see on screen. eg Alaba average 7.02 the season before which I see as 8.02.

So even if the full back is getting a 4.5 and I factor in my +1 way of thinking, it still means he is only getting a 5.5, and if any other outfield player is getting a 5.5 he gets subbed no matter what.

So how does a full back get a rating of 4.0?

Not getting his tackles right? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

Passes being poorer? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

Heading stats being worse? - No don't see that being any worse than the left back's stats.

And so on. Because it hasn't affected your game does not mean it does not exist. I have noticed it. If his stats in these games were worse than the left back then I would put it down to tactics or his consistency maybe or perhaps is abilities. To me clearly the fullback ratings need "tweaking".

I shall send my stuff to SI and if they agree they'll alter it.

Until then I'm happy to agree to disagree. :D

Of course they need tweaking, no one has said different, but that doesnt change the fact that if a player is playing a 4, he is having a terrible game, regardless of what you think you are seeing and regardless of the bugged ratings.

I think I know what your getting at. Since I became aware of the issue ( for me its especially my left back ), I essentially add 1 to the rating I see on screen. eg Alaba average 7.02 the season before which I see as 8.02.

So even if the full back is getting a 4.5 and I factor in my +1 way of thinking, it still means he is only getting a 5.5, and if any other outfield player is getting a 5.5 he gets subbed no matter what.

Exactly my point. I do the same, i add about .6 onto a rating which i feel takes it up to the right level for what im seeing. ANY player on a 4 would instantly be taken off, he will definitely be having a stinking game. Anything below a 6, even with the bugged ratings, is a poor game and needs looked at.

The more games you go unbeaten, the more pressure is added. 77 games, and you're looking at an absolute powderkeg, both in game and in your own mind. I went a season unbeaten with Penarol, and then managed something like five games into the next season the same. I was now approaching every single game like a cup final, so facing mid-table dross just desperate to keep that run going. It's not conducive to playing good football, and sometime, somewhere, you're going to lose a game you shouldn't. Of course, what happens afterwards may be a problem with morale being too powerful, but things can snowball. I always go all out to win a game after the first defeat in ages. Two in a row and you'll be fighting to get your form back. I managed Boca after Penarol, and had a fantastic apertura stage. I was doing well in the Clausura as well, right up until seven games to go. Then I lost one. Then another. Then the remaining five. It happens.

Fair point forameuss. Not complaining, starting to enjoy life at Montpellier. Think I fell on my feet, I have a transfer budget of 183m and January is nearly upon me. Not gonna go crazy in January, but I will in the summer ;)

First port of call will be MUFCs U-21 squad :lol:

While I can understand this applying to teams maybe lower down the league that are doing well or lower teams that have been promoted, how does this apply to the OP and Man Utd? Seriously, how much more of a rep increase do Man Utd need for teams to change their approach to them? They are Man Utd. One of the best and most reputable teams in the entire game. Teams should be approaching them the same as they would from the first game of the first season. The only thing they can do is adapt their play to nullify Man Utd's tactics but I dont think saying a reputation increase has caused them to change their way of approaching the team is correct in this case.

Moyes who was at PSG. They are in 2nd a point behind Chelsea but have 2 games in hand. They are playing 4-1DM-2-2-1. Played 19 Won 12 Drawn 3 Lost 2 Scored 38 Conceded 11.

They qualified top of their CL group, won the Community Shield. After I was sacked they still had enough points in hand to go on and win the Premiership by 3 points. I didn't get the Montpellier job until September. After I got sacked I said that I'd go on holiday until September and take the 1st job I could get.

but this is unrealistic.. Barcelona employed the same tactic over and over again and got beat maybe 2-3 times a SEASON! if you have a strong squad + good tactic no matter what the opponent does they should lose.. I can't see bayern losing 14 in a row because Dortmund, Leverkusen etc.. counter bayern's formation efficiently!

but this is unrealistic.. Barcelona employed the same tactic over and over again and got beat maybe 2-3 times a SEASON! if you have a strong squad + good tactic no matter what the opponent does they should lose.. I can't see bayern losing 14 in a row because Dortmund, Leverkusen etc.. counter bayern's formation efficiently!

Barcelona has the same overall idea, but they changed tiny bits in each game. This is a massive misconception about Barcelona. Pep was a notorious tinkerer, before pretty much every game. If we were to talk about Guardiola in FM terms, he was a master of shout system before and during games.

I've suffered from similar circumstances and like some of the other posters have already mentioned here's what happened and what I did...

I went a season and a half with a promotion and top of the table mid-point through the next season when all of a sudden in four out of eight games despite having 2+ goal leads including against teams bottom and second bottom of the league, I lost/drew, and the other four games I lost hopelessly. As I watch extended highlights every game it becomes apparent quite easily that you know the AI is up to something, they often give you fair warning with one or two 'close calls'. Around 5 games into this barren spell I noticed that no matter what I did to try and change it up during the game, the AI still countered it. Despite being 2-0 up after 70minutes in one game I knew I wouldn't win and sure enough I drew 3-3... I changed mentalities once taking the lead to counter/control so I would not be caught out so much but nothing was happening.

So instead of sulking (I'll admit there was a few punches thrown in the direction of my pillows) I watched back each game and noticed a large amount of goals conceded from full backs being too far forward. So I simply changed my full backs from 'automatic' to 'defend' and hey presto won 5 out of the next 6. Anyway a long story short, I'm surprised it took you 14games to seek guidance/help.

Here is what I would of done in your situation

+Replayed the opposition goals, to see the most common form of conceding.

+tweaked areas that you think are weak (too many crosses coming in, CDs marking too tightly getting dragged out of position etc)

+picked one of the easier games and changed up formation to what I usually play (and I mean it could be anything) and held team meeting, fined one or two players for poor performances.

+Gone extremely defensive in one particular game til half time, then come out all guns blazing with my more familiar tactic in the second half.

+seek help from the more knowledgable Mods/gamers on here after around 7/8 games.

And as for post #2, I am sick of people using the excuse 'it's your tactics, you're a bad manager' it most certainly isn't, as you cannot go 77games unbeaten and suddenly fall apart - it just wouldn't happen to this extent.

I hope you have more luck in France, and bear in mind the advice given to prevent it from happening again.

Barcelona has the same overall idea, but they changed tiny bits in each game. This is a massive misconception about Barcelona. Pep was a notorious tinkerer, before pretty much every game.

Exactly this, Barca, especially with Pep in charge, were very much a side that changed little things all the time, Pep does not allow his team to become complacent just playing the same way all the time. Last season, when they changed less, they were far more predictable and beatable.

Exactly this, Barca, especially with Pep in charge, were very much a side that changed little things all the time, Pep does not allow his team to become complacent just playing the same way all the time. Last season, when they changed less, they were far more predictable and beatable.

yeah thats why the only considerable losses they had was in CL (semis) and vs Madrid over the course of the season and they only got 100 points in la liga (so predictable)!

yeah thats why the only considerable losses they had was in CL (semis) and vs Madrid over the course of the season and they only got 100 points in la liga (so predictable)!

All that with 2 changes of manager as well. In FM there probably would have been a unrepairable morale drop due to the changes of managers and the superstars having a hissy fit because the managers brought in didnt have a high enough reputation for them.

Imagine those managers showing interest in the Barca job in FM. "Barcelona laugh of interest from................"

I've suffered from similar circumstances and like some of the other posters have already mentioned here's what happened and what I did...

I went a season and a half with a promotion and top of the table mid-point through the next season when all of a sudden in four out of eight games despite having 2+ goal leads including against teams bottom and second bottom of the league, I lost/drew, and the other four games I lost hopelessly. As I watch extended highlights every game it becomes apparent quite easily that you know the AI is up to something, they often give you fair warning with one or two 'close calls'. Around 5 games into this barren spell I noticed that no matter what I did to try and change it up during the game, the AI still countered it. Despite being 2-0 up after 70minutes in one game I knew I wouldn't win and sure enough I drew 3-3... I changed mentalities once taking the lead to counter/control so I would not be caught out so much but nothing was happening.

So instead of sulking (I'll admit there was a few punches thrown in the direction of my pillows) I watched back each game and noticed a large amount of goals conceded from full backs being too far forward. So I simply changed my full backs from 'automatic' to 'defend' and hey presto won 5 out of the next 6. Anyway a long story short, I'm surprised it took you 14games to seek guidance/help.

Here is what I would of done in your situation

+Replayed the opposition goals, to see the most common form of conceding.

+tweaked areas that you think are weak (too many crosses coming in, CDs marking too tightly getting dragged out of position etc)

+picked one of the easier games and changed up formation to what I usually play (and I mean it could be anything) and held team meeting, fined one or two players for poor performances.

+Gone extremely defensive in one particular game til half time, then come out all guns blazing with my more familiar tactic in the second half.

+seek help from the more knowledgable Mods/gamers on here after around 7/8 games.

And as for post #2, I am sick of people using the excuse 'it's your tactics, you're a bad manager' it most certainly isn't, as you cannot go 77games unbeaten and suddenly fall apart - it just wouldn't happen to this extent.

I hope you have more luck in France, and bear in mind the advice given to prevent it from happening again.

I did do most of your suggestions. The one thing I most definately noticed was before I was pinging the ball around everywhere like it was a training session, players were always free and in space and goals were coming from inside the box, outside the box, from deep crosses and a lot of through balls with the striker hitting early shots. Exactly how I'd planned the tactics to be. I was conceding so few goals that I took my eye off the ball and just concentrated on tweaking the forward play.

The main thing I noticed when it started to go wrong was my players didn't have the same amount of space and were being closed down and hassled on the ball way more than before, and going forward they were just not creating the same type of chances. Nearly all the chances were from crosses and ended up in goal mouth scrambles which the opposition nearly always cleared. I'd barely seen a goal mouth scramble whilst on the run becuase my side were either scoring amazing long shots or one on ones ( yes one on ones ! ).

Looking closely now, what I think happened is I was closed down alot more, hassled and not given the time and space in midfield and the computer teams definately started playing a deeper defensive line, which completely destroyed my entire attacking philosophy....hance the goal mouth scrambles.

Defensively I wasn't really any worse, atleast thats what I think. I wasn't conceding more, I just wasn't scoring. So the games I'd win 3-1, 2-1 etc suddenly became 1-0 defeats. I did save the game before the season ended so I can still go back and have a closer look defensively if anything changed. But from studying some of the extended highlights ( albeit at 3am this morning ), the AI playing a deeper defensive line and closing down in midfield 100% happened and completely negated the way I played. I was just too slow to pick it up. I'd fine myself 2 weeks wages if I could !

I notice how you dont argue the actual point, which backs me and madsheep up, thanks.

You said Pep didnt allow Barca to get complacent (fair enough) but they looked far more beatable last season and predictable. They lost a MASSIVE 2 games in the league last season. How is that more beatable and predictable?

I did do most of your suggestions. The one thing I most definately noticed was before I was pinging the ball around everywhere like it was a training session, players were always free and in space and goals were coming from inside the box, outside the box, from deep crosses and a lot of through balls with the striker hitting early shots. Exactly how I'd planned the tactics to be. I was conceding so few goals that I took my eye off the ball and just concentrated on tweaking the forward play.

The main thing I noticed when it started to go wrong was my players didn't have the same amount of space and were being closed down and hassled on the ball way more than before, and going forward they were just not creating the same type of chances. Nearly all the chances were from crosses and ended up in goal mouth scrambles which the opposition nearly always cleared. I'd barely seen a goal mouth scramble whilst on the run becuase my side were either scoring amazing long shots or one on ones ( yes one on ones ! ).

Looking closely now, what I think happened is I was closed down alot more, hassled and not given the time and space in midfield and the computer teams definately started playing a deeper defensive line, which completely destroyed my entire attacking philosophy....hance the goal mouth scrambles.

Defensively I wasn't really any worse, atleast thats what I think. I wasn't conceding more, I just wasn't scoring. So the games I'd win 3-1, 2-1 etc suddenly became 1-0 defeats. I did save the game before the season ended so I can still go back and have a closer look defensively if anything changed. But from studying some of the extended highlights ( albeit at 3am this morning ), the AI playing a deeper defensive line and closing down in midfield 100% happened and completely negated the way I played. I was just too slow to pick it up. I'd fine myself 2 weeks wages if I could !

It's those little things (FM and real life ) that can make the difference. At least you know now, and next time you will be much quicker to pick it up, and that loss just stays as a blip and not the start of a slide

Practically every game on Sky. While I see the point your trying to make, the fact is, if they was so predictable, wouldn't they have lost more than two games?

La Liga is a very special case tho, them and Real are so far ahead of everyone else, they dont need to play well to win. If Real had not imploded over internal fighting they would have pushed them much harder. In the CL Barca never looked like they could win it, they struggled through the group stages (for a team of that quality) and they were no where near their best. They were predictable to watch, all of the pundits on Revista said exactly the same thing. They moved with less speed, less urgency and they tried the same thing over and over. This year, they seem to have sorted that issue, but its come at a cost to the way Pep had them playing. No team can indefinitely play one way and be successful, eventually someone figures out how to counter you.

It's those little things (FM and real life ) that can make the difference. At least you know now, and next time you will be much quicker to pick it up, and that loss just stays as a blip and not the start of a slide

Knowing what probably caused it and knowing how to rectify the issue are two seperate things :lol:

I think a cheese and ham toastie and a pint of bitter down my local are in order. Will take my little black book of tactics down with me and have a serious think about it. If I stay down there too long though I'll come back with some crazy notion of playing 2-1-5-1-1.

La Liga is a very special case tho, them and Real are so far ahead of everyone else, they dont need to play well to win. If Real had not imploded over internal fighting they would have pushed them much harder. In the CL Barca never looked like they could win it, they struggled through the group stages (for a team of that quality) and they were no where near their best. They were predictable to watch, all of the pundits on Revista said exactly the same thing. They moved with less speed, less urgency and they tried the same thing over and over. This year, they seem to have sorted that issue, but its come at a cost to the way Pep had them playing. No team can indefinitely play one way and be successful, eventually someone figures out how to counter you.

But the basic philosophy never really changes. Teams probably watch every game Barca have lost in the last 3 years before they play them and know exactly what to do but that isnt enough. Its very rare a team will beat Barca by actually being the better team or stopping them playing if you understand my point. When Barca lose a game, especially a bottom half team, it almost identical to a typical FM rant. Barca completely dominate the game, 70% possession, 25 shots on goal, 18 on target, 5 CCC's and lost 1-0, because the other team's goalie has turned into superman over night and have scored with their only shot on target in the game.

Morale still plays too big a part in the game IMO. Well for the top teams anyway. You can understand a bottom half Premiership team going on a 14 game win-less streak, and yes morale could play a big part in that, but teams at the top end of the scale that lost one or two on the trot, even three, or dont win in 5 dont suddenly stick their head in the sand, lose all confidence and go on 14 game win-less streaks.

When was the last time a top 10 or even top 20 team in the world went 14 games without winning? Or 1 win in 14 like the OP?

Im sorry but people can say its your tactics, the AI have adapted, bad luck, whatever. It just doesn't and wouldnt happen.

You say yourself Real imploded. They still only lost about 5 games last season. At the end of the day, the players are better. The team is better. Even the full starting 11 on a bad day should have enough to beat the majority of teams in the league. Ok it might not be as convincing as it would normally be but class still should win the battle in 90% of the games but FM doesnt replicate this. Not for the big teams anyway.

Look at Man Utd now. Not the best start (understatement of the century), but this "not the best start" consists of a run of WWDL WWLW LDWD WWWW DWD (all competitions from the Community Shield onwards). This is a top team, with a new manager, IRL. So this team thats playing poorly, are still finding enough to win games. Even some of the draws are down to very late equalisers. Thats what a bad run typically looks like for a top team. Not just the results in black and white, but the performances aswell. But in FM, after back to back league defeats from City and WBA, the players would lose so much morale and suddenly turn into a league two side overnight rather than have the winning mentality and never say die attitude that a top team and defending champions should have.

But the basic philosophy never really changes. Teams probably watch every game Barca have lost in the last 3 years before they play them and know exactly what to do but that isnt enough. Its very rare a team will beat Barca by actually being the better team or stopping them playing if you understand my point. When Barca lose a game, especially a bottom half team, it almost identical to a typical FM rant. Barca completely dominate the game, 70% possession, 25 shots on goal, 18 on target, 5 CCC's and lost 1-0, because the other team's goalie has turned into superman over night and have scored with their only shot on target in the game.

Morale still plays too big a part in the game IMO. Well for the top teams anyway. You can understand a bottom half Premiership team going on a 14 game win-less streak, and yes morale could play a big part in that, but teams at the top end of the scale that lost one or two on the trot, even three, or dont win in 5 dont suddenly stick their head in the sand, lose all confidence and go on 14 game win-less streaks.

When was the last time a top 10 or even top 20 team in the world went 14 games without winning? Or 1 win in 14 like the OP?

Im sorry but people can say its your tactics, the AI have adapted, bad luck, whatever. It just doesn't and wouldnt happen.

Real life managers are a lot more competent, which is why you don't often see top teams go on 14 game winless streaks.

No offence to the OP, but he obviously didn't manage his players properly after the loss. He obviously had a good tactic and knew how to keep everyone fired up while things were looking good, but once they lost and confidence plummeted, he didn't manage the situation properly. That is why he went on the winless streak. His players lost confidence. It happens in the game and it happens IRL. IRL the managers know how to deal with the players. The OP didn't.

Archived