Whats the best FM/CM you have played ??

Just what i said in the title what has been your favourite FM/CM game also do you think 09 will beat this ??

Difficult one this.....

CM 01/02 was a legend of a game....

CM 03/04 was great....

FM '07 I enjoyed greatly....

But the winner would have to be......

Sensible World of Soccer......

No....CM 01/02....it was just fantastic..the fact that heaps of people, myself included still play it and updates are still being made for it is a testiment to it's greatness.

And FM '09 will not be as good...sadly.....

FM08, FM07, FM06, FM05, CM01/02, CM03/04, CM4, CM97/98, CM94 EOS, CM93, CM1, CM Italia, CM Norge in that order.

Norway version only last because I didn't understand a word of it :D

And yes, 09 will be better. With very few exceptions, it's got better for me as the years go on in terms of the franchise. Actually feel guilty having EOS so low though, as we used to spend entire summer holidays (apart from when the cricket was on and we'd recreate test matches up the road) playing it as kids.

FM08, FM07, FM06, FM05, CM01/02, CM03/04, CM4, CM97/98, CM94 EOS, CM93, CM1, CM Italia, CM Norge in that order.

Norway version only last because I didn't understand a word of it :D

And yes, 09 will be better. With very few exceptions, it's got better for me as the years go on in terms of the franchise. Actually feel guilty having EOS so low though, as we used to spend entire summer holidays (apart from when the cricket was on and we'd recreate test matches up the road) playing it as kids.

It was called CM scandinavia, sold as CM Norway i guess is properly the worst one in the CM era. The only thing was it was amazing to be able to play with scandinavians teams.

CM 00/01 was my favorite, it was the first CM I played on a machine that exceded the minimum spec and so was the first time I was able to play with all the leagues active, getting sacked as Bradford manager and bouncing back into football 18months later with a third division team in Belgium then onto the england job was fantastic!

cm 97/98, i remember taking Lens FC to be the french champions and getting a job offer from newcastle which i regrettly took and went downhill from there. ohhhhh i wasted my whole summer playing that game. i should have been out chasing girls and having a life but champy had all the love i needed.

does anyone remeber james flood???? i bought him for my team i think was cm01/02 not entirely sure but i remeber him as possibly my best striker ever, i think he scored into the 40's for 3 seasons in a row everyone i knew who had champy back then all had him in there squad. Also taribo west used to be a free agent and an absoultley amazing defender.

Difficult one this.....

CM 03/04 was great....

Same fave's as mine. FM08 seemed impossible to win with a 442 which ****ed me off.

I thnk FM09 will be great tho, there's honestly too many people kicking it for fun.

Difficult one this.....

CM 03/04 was great....

But the winner would have to be......

Sensible World of Soccer......

No....CM 01/02....it was just fantastic..the fact that heaps of people, myself included still play it and updates are still being made for it is a testiment to it's greatness.

And FM '09 will not be as good...sadly.....

Spot on :thumbs: 01/02 is legendary & I still play it regularly now. Orri Freyr Oskarsson playing Central Midfield with a long farrow anyone?

I personally wasn't a huge fan of 03/04 although FM07 is also my favourite since the move away from EA.

01/02 for me. Won the title for 9 yrs in a row with Barca. Played my longest ever at 16 seasons & my then girlfriends dopey nephew deleted on me. I could have killed him, I was so upset I never really got over it as I couldnt face starting again. I just founf my old copies of CM 99 00, 01/02 & cm3 + a demo of CM4 on CD!!! Going to have a go at 01/02 again.

Is there any updated patch for it? Any help would be apprieciated.

Thanks

CM 01/02 Pretty much dictated my life back then, however, the game has improved with every release, whilst i enjoyed the game so much back then. (discovering vitaly kutuzov for AC Milan and him banging in 3 hattricks in the last 3 games of the season, always a highlight) If i was to go back to the game now, i would miss all of the things we have had implemented since then.

So whilst CM 01/02 was legendary, it has to be FM 08.

A very close call between CM 97/98 and CM 01/02 I'm not entirely sure why, as FM09 is far improved from them.

The best bit was at the end of the season when all your players were updated and all the new youngsters were available... Ah the memories!

CM 97/98 nearly cost me my A-levels, CM 01/02 nearly cost me my degree! (although beer should take its fair share of blame too!)

CM 01/02 was the best one. Taribo West bagged a 120th minute equalizer in the Champions League Final for my Man Utd team against Roma. I ended up winning on penalties. What a game! Though i also think that FM 2005 has been the best in the FM series. Overall though, it has to be CM 01/02.

I have been playing 5-6 versions since the late 90ies and I would have to say FM08 is my favourite. As for FM09 having the potential to top it, why not? It has been my experience that each version I decided to get added something to the mix on top of what was already there.

97/98 -Turning up round a friend’s house around mid day, now any normal group of 18 yr olds would be enjoying the great outdoors, pubs, girls and all the other joys of a market town full of yokels.

But I was here for something far more important, domination of Serie A and champ man bragging rights. I and two other lads perched on the edge of a small single bed in a cramped box room impatiently waiting for our turn in the hot seat (I think I may have actually attacked someone for renewing ALL players’ contracts at the beginning of the season).

Dinner was just something that got in the way of playing so we had a house phone (because mobiles were not invented back then) and a list of take away numbers. We would get a create of beers from the off-licence next door and some coke for the lightweights.

Life couldn’t be much better and the only downer (apart from losing to one of your mates) was when you finally had to go home, walking out side and realising that it was 9.00 am and you had 3 hours to wait/sleep before you could continue the domination of Serie A once again.

I still own 97/98 and I am even thinking of framing it as piece of gaming perfection. Other CM/FM games have been great but nothing topped the multiplayer aspects that 97/98 had.

This year's game has captured my imagination more than any game and has already brought some great moments, so much so, that for the first time I will probably continue a demo game as I can't stand to let it go. All I can say is... Peter Crouch. Diving header. Airplane celebration.

Besides that I think CM01/02 was the last time I had the time to play more than a few hours a week, so I don't know whether it was the best, but it was cetainly the one I enjoyed the most - until now.

FM07 had the best match engine, but I couldn't stick with it once FM08 came out, even through the bugs, it completely absorbed me and I played my longest saves with it. Also FM08 had the best demo; I don't usually play CM/FM demos, but 08 had me gripped! I think I spent 12 hours on it in one go when it came out, never done that with any demo ever, let alone CM/FM.

As for FM09 beating it, I just don't know - definitely not in it's released state anyway. At first I hated it because of the bugs, then it started to grow on me, but I just can't get into it knowing that there's so many things wrong with it and so I've reinstalled 08 and started a new long term career starting with Newcastle. I've said it before and I'll say it again: FM09 feels only 75% finished and I feel that it's been rushed for the Christmas market and that we're being relied upon as unpaid testers, when if profits and sales didn't matter and their fanbase did, as they claim, then they should've insisted to SEGA that they hold the release off for a few weeks and fixed things.

In comparison with the 08 demo, the longest I've played the 09 demo was about 20mins before getting fed up with it, or because it's crashed (played it on two completely different high-spec machines too and it's either laggy on one or crashes on the other). Sure, the bugs will get fixed but once that's all ironed out, there's only a few features added to make it different from 08 - why pay £25 for that when 08 is now in a fully working condition (at least in my opinion) and I can save my money?

Plus, after starting a new game on 08 with the ADDM update installed, team line-ups and player data is pretty much identical to the 09 demo, so I'm not losing out on any new data.

And as for the 3D engine, hated it at first, then it grew on me, and then I hated it again because I was starting to notice more buggy things about it (are the stadiums really going to be bare slabs of grey in the full version? Reminds me of Geoff Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix on the Amiga, but back then, anything 3D was mind-blowing. I remember saying to my Mum "Look! It's all virtual reality and stuff!") If they're going to have a bit of crowd detail, then they should've included it in the demo because it looks so basic and unfinished, you can't help but wonder what's going on with it.

Anyway, as you may have guessed, after changing my mind several times, I definitely won't be getting 09. FM08 all the way for me. :thup:

Archived