Was FM08 any good?

I didn't enjoy it because:

I found the media interaction repetitive and tedious

Confidence felt half-arsed and broken

Match engine had bug after bug, even after the patches

Far too many occurrences of you having 30 shots vs opponents 1 shot but drawing 1-1

Far too many 1 vs 1 chances missed with the keeper

Too difficult to sell players and buying them was annoying because of stupid AI

Aside from all that it was fine, but unfortunately the things listed above were enough to make me stop playing

Loved it like any FM game. Few little annoying points in it here and there, but those points might have appealed to other people and not me. Where as there may have been annoying points for them that i enjoyed.

Overall, very very happy, and all i need now (i think we all do) is for FM09 and November 14th (and to a lesser extent November 2nd) to come quickly!

Guest roberto922

Absolutely love it, first time I've got past 3-4 seasons since FM 05, in total I've probably played around 40-50 seasons.

I didn't like it at all, the first one since I've started playing the CM/FM that I didn't enjoy, there were some good points, but for everyone one of those there was a bad point, the shambles of a confidence system, the fact that I haven't seen the ME so blantantly exploited for a while, the issue that unless you had inward arrows on your wingers, you may aswell be playing with 9 men and the regen's put me off ever playing for more than 1 season. Added to this that in my opinion the game was not even worth starting before 8.0.2, meant my expirience (sp) with FM08 was largely a negative one.

My fingers were burned with FM08 and I'll be more cautious this time when it comes to FM09. I won't be buying on blind faith this time around as I can't afford to splash out £35 on more shoddy workmanship.

£35 i think you should shop around, you were ripped off mate.

Guest roberto922
My fingers were burned with FM08 and I'll be more cautious this time when it comes to FM09. I won't be buying on blind faith this time around as I can't afford to splash out £35 on more shoddy workmanship.

You say that like £35 is life changing.

8.0 ok because after 7.0 everyone expected bugs.

8.1 completely unplayable. One of the problems (new current ability calculation and setup turning players into supermen during the match calculations under certain circumstances) subsequently addressed in patch 2 vindicated all of us protesting that sometimes matches were effectively preordained.

8.2 ok if you don’t mind putting in time and effort only to watch the ai repeatedly scoring bug goals against you: bouncing free kicks off your wall; reverse route-one goals from you own keeper despite doing everything imaginable to get your keeper to build from the back – just like the ai mysteriously can; choose the wrong team talk from two or three perfectly reasonable and suitable options and you might as well have sent them the points in the post; apparent magical effect high reputation has on any action taken by said player.

7.2 much better.

I’ll try the demo for 9, but if I concede one reverse route-one goal from my own keeper’s distribution in the first 20 matches I play I’m waiting for reaction to the inevitable second patch before I even think about giving them more money.

Yeah, enjoyed it. Eventually. First couple of months of playing the game I was pulling my hair out, mainly over the tactical side of the game, but I've read a few tactical theorem threads (wwfans is particuarly good), and finally now 2 weeks before the new game is coming out feel I've finally got to grips with the game.

I just bought fm08 maybe a week ago, dont ask me why, I just did even though fm09 is few weeks away.

My own experiences and this thread made me give it up and wait for fm09. I have played fm06 for so many season and imho its the best football manager that I have played but since I have won everything in it, I wanted to move on. Hopefully fm09 will be more than just giving press releases and team talks.

Here is some of my bad experiences:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=53345

Just wondering what you all thought of FM08 :D

I feel it was enjoyable although having some issues (not bugs, just gameplay) in which it was inferior to FM07. Now I seriously hope that FM will combine the best of those two while even adding some further nice features :)

I wish my month's pocket money was £35 when I was 16 :(.

Anyway, I preferred 07 to 08 for multiple reasons that I've listed far to many times. Bugs, a ME worse than 07's, badly implemented features (ie confidence) and pointless features (eg pitch size).

was mostly good a few things made me want to rip my hair out, chairmen accepting bids too good to turn down (i had one player worth 13 million which the chairman sold for 11 mil cos the bid was too good) constant messages how much do you want for this player, annoying team talks, regens being crap, the old players being crud before they should be.

but the thing is, even with so many negative things about it i'm still playing it.

Only played it a few times, got bored not much new in it and what was on offer as new features didn't pack the punch when push came to shove. Here's looking forward to FM09 which sounds very impressive even without the 3D so with 3D its gonna be awesome. :)

Archived