Trophy Priorities

Which trophy matters most to you to win?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Which trophy matters most to you to win?

• Domestic League
    • Domestic Cup
    • Continental Cup
    • Continental Super Cup
    • World Club Championship
    • International Continental Tournament
    • World Cup
    • I try never to win a trophy

If you can only win one trophy in a season as a manager (with any club or nation you want) which is the most important to you? I know most people will probably be like me in that they send their team out in every competition with the aim of trying to win it, but if someone tells you at the start of the season you are guaranteed to win one trophy which do you want?

Also, more specifically, if you picked a domestic option which specific league/cup do you most want to win (i.e. you can manage a team in any country and win its league or cup)?

For me the league title is always my number 1 priority, irrespective of what country I'm managing in, how many times I've won it previously or anything else. Back in FM07 with Derby County my No. 2 priority was the league cup for quite a few years, followed by Champions League and FA Cup.

As far as which country's league title means the most to me to win...I guess it comes down to who I have to beat to win it, so winning the Bundesliga with Werder Bremen ahead of Bayern Munich really pleased me, but Serie A would have to be the holy grail for me at the moment. I've won the EPL with numerous clubs (not in FM08 though - I've not managed there at all), but Serie A I've only ever won once, back in CM00/01 and my current FM08 Fiorentina side have finished 4th, 5th, 6th in 3 seasons so far and are currently 8th in their 4th season...we just can't break through Inter, Roma, Juventus and Milan in general and Palermo did for us last season too...so if I could win Serie A with Fiorentina it would be one of my best achievements throughout the CM/FM series.

For me its the Champions League. There's nothing like being known as the best team in Europe.

Do you really feel like the best team in Europe though if you didn't win your domestic league? I always feel that winning the Champions League only matters to me if I either won my domestic league the previous season or in the season that I also win the Champions League (preferably both). I can't feel as though I'm the best team in Europe if I'm not even the best team in my country!

Continental for me, but only because I had set that as my ojective when starting my save and was determined not to leave Bayern until I had brought the trophy home :p In one of my saves I eventually gave up and moved to a few other clubs, ending up at VFB Stuttgart, where the league is priority and CL is only there to boost funds.

Do you really feel like the best team in Europe though if you didn't win your domestic league? I always feel that winning the Champions League only matters to me if I either won my domestic league the previous season or in the season that I also win the Champions League (preferably both). I can't feel as though I'm the best team in Europe if I'm not even the best team in my country!

Most of the time though, I've won the Champions League with the domestic league too. I've only known Champions League victory without domestic league victory once, but it was still sweet.

I've voted for the World Cup because on FM08 I can't win it!

I've managed both Italy and England on my Milan save. Both of them have had amazing squads but it just doesn't happen. Its now the holy grail for me.

I've won it all in club football with Milan but I just cannot seem to transfer it to International football. It seems like the best I can do is Quarter Finals possibly Semis if im lucky.

Call me Sven lol

I've voted for the World Cup because on FM08 I can't win it!

I've managed both Italy and England on my Milan save. Both of them have had amazing squads but it just doesn't happen. Its now the holy grail for me.

I've won it all in club football with Milan but I just cannot seem to transfer it to International football. It seems like the best I can do is Quarter Finals possibly Semis if im lucky.

Call me Sven lol

Wow, similar...

I use two managers --- one manages Italy/Roma, the other England/MU.

I have a Hibs game active in which I have just qualified Slovenia for the World Cup ahead of arch rivals Croatia so if I could win the World Cup with Slovenia that would certainly rank as a trophy I would be very happy with, but I'd still rather win Serie A with Fiorentina or the SPL with Hibernian. Probably a toss up though whether I'd rather win the World Cup with Slovenia or a 2nd Bundesliga title with Bremen...mebee more than one league title is greedy :D

Domestic League is the only one that really matters IMVHO.

Champion of your own country >>>>>> Champion of Europe (unless you are reigning League champions when you do this)

This is how I feel about real life too, and I'm a Liverpool fan. :(

so if I could win Serie A with Fiorentina it would be one of my best achievements throughout the CM/FM series.

fioraup8.jpg

w1024.png

haha :) winning seria A with fiora is one of the easier tasks in fm. in 08 i've managed to get the title as well as uefa cup in the first season. in 07 in first season of seria A i've finished 2nd, few points behind inter even tho i had -15 points at start (if i remember well) and won it in second season. try getting to european spot with boston united (english conference north) in 08 or winning CL with red star belgrade in 07, now thats an achievment :)

ontopic: in top leagues i would always prefer a domestic title rather then european trophy. i dont care much for wc since playing with national teams bores me to death.

haha winning seria A with fiora is one of the easier tasks in fm. in 08 i've managed to get the title as well as uefa cup in the first season. in 07 in first season of seria A i've finished 2nd, few points behind inter even tho i had -15 points at start (if i remember well) and won it in second season. try getting to european spot with boston united (english conference north) in 08 or winning CL with red star belgrade in 07, now thats an achievment

ontopic: in top leagues i would always prefer a domestic title rather then european trophy. i dont care much for wc since playing with national teams bores me to death.

Well, different situations present different challenges - I can't get my tactics right for competing with the likes of Inter so my progression of 4th,5th,6th so far means that to finish 1st would be a massive change for the better ;) I make it more difficult by insisting on playing a certain style too which is not typically Italian, but they are an exciting team, just not a consistent one :(

Winning Champions League with Red Star Belgrade would be good, but I rate any achievement with an English club fairly low down, irrespective of where they start. If you can get them to the Premiership and into Europe then you are automatically one of the favourites to win the European trophy. Getting into Europe in the first place is not always easy though - esp. in FM08!

Personally I would choose the Domestic League and then the Champions League but thats just me. Although I love winning the Champions League, like many players say IRL, the best team over the course of the season wins the league. You can win the Champions League on a few lucky games (e.g. Liverpool in 2005).

I have never won the Asian/Euro Cup in 75 game years.

I will be competing in it for the second time in my career next season, and it will be the trophy I desire the most.

I have saw this trophie one in the editor,but never happened in the game. what is about?

I have never won the Asian/Euro Cup in 75 game years.

I will be competing in it for the second time in my career next season, and it will be the trophy I desire the most.

I have saw this trophie one in the editor,but never happened in the game. what is about?

It's a one off match between the winner of the UEFA Cup and the winner (or runner up) of... something in asia - I don't know what, as I don't have any asian leagues running.

I had a look at the cup history, and the history of the first club in it, and my best guess is the winner of the East Asian Championship.

Which seems like a good enough guess, as all the asian participans ever in my game have been Japanese, Chinese or South Korean.

League before anything else as my board dont like it if I dont win it!!!! After that its the 2 domestic cups as my board don't like it if I don't win those and then the CL as my board only seem to want to reach groups.

One year I got knocked out CL in groups, and my board wanted us to enjoy participation in Uefa Cup. We did!!! We won it!

The SPL with Celtic is my main priority. I know I'll probably never win the CL, and any other trophy is a unnecessary but welcomed bonus, but to win the league year after year brings me CL football (and its lucrative financial benefits) and a sense of accomplishment in that I am the best team in Scotland. The fact that it keeps Rangers behind Celtic is also some motivation.

The league by a mile simply because the European Cup is still a cup competition and prone to flukes, although it does make the perfect season if it can be won ontop of the league.

I guess it has a lot do with circumstance though, a team winning the league regularly may look to the European Cup as more of a priority for a few seasons.

Personally I would choose the Domestic League and then the Champions League but thats just me. Although I love winning the Champions League, like many players say IRL, the best team over the course of the season wins the league. You can win the Champions League on a few lucky games (e.g. Liverpool in 2005).

Perhaps your right about lucky wins. Juventus, Chelsea :rolleyes:

Wow, slightly surprised only 3.7% of people (at this moment) have opted for Domestic Cup. I guess that depends very much on which country you are managing in because I know in some countries clubs really don't care all that much about their domestic cup (even when they only have one cup competition).

I'd assume a fair number of respondants manage in England though so I'd have thought the whole thing of the FA Cup being the "best" cup competition in the world and all that pizzaz would have put it higher in more people's priorities. I guess it mirrors real life though in that the league is more important. What doesn't mirror real life though of course is the reality of most teams' chances of winning the league. In game a human manager can win it with pretty much any team, whereas a huge number of teams in real life know their only realistic hope of any silverware ever is a cup.

Archived