Big fish in a small pond

Just wondered if anyone could recommend any smaller teams (no offence) with one or two great or former great players that would make an interesting game on 09.

I got the idea from the Marc Overmars thread which said he's now playing for Go Ahead Eagles.

The only other example I could think of off the top of my head was Steven Gerrard at Liverpool, but I don't think I fancy managing them :p

Seriously though, there could be some interesting teams to manage this season, see if any legends can bring a lesser-known team to glory. So, any ideas?

Surely the best examples of these have all been in the MLS? Predominately in the eighties but now Beckham is in L.A I'm sure more will follow. I did hear that another quality player was being linked with a move but the name escapes me now!

Surely the best examples of these have all been in the MLS? Predominately in the eighties but now Beckham is in L.A I'm sure more will follow. I did hear that another quality player was being linked with a move but the name escapes me now!

Didn't Claudio Lopez go to the MLS, I think Kasey Keller did too. I know for certain that Brian McBride moved back over there. Maybe not massive players but they all have good experience of playing top flight football.

Didn't Claudio Lopez go to the MLS, I think Kasey Keller did too. I know for certain that Brian McBride moved back over there. Maybe not massive players but they all have good experience of playing top flight football.

Yeah I think that all three are now playing MLS (although with two of them being American that's not exactly surprising!) But it was someone else I was thinking of, still can't remember his name though.

Yeah I think that all three are now playing MLS (although with two of them being American that's not exactly surprising!) But it was someone else I was thinking of, still can't remember his name though.

Juan Pablo Angel is over there as well.

How is Liverpool a smaller club? England's most successful side in the European and Domestic competition, ever. Also, how is Stevn Gerrard a former great player? Some say he's the best midfielder in the world (which is very debatable, but that's beside the point) right now and he is in his prime. lmfao.

How is Liverpool a smaller club? England's most successful side in the European and Domestic competition, ever. Also, how is Stevn Gerrard a former great player? Some say he's the best midfielder in the world (which is very debatable, but that's beside the point) right now and he is in his prime. lmfao.

He said great or former great.

Of course he is also right about Liverpool being a smaller club. :D (Only joking)

He did say that he was joking!!!

I'm not entirely certain but I think Nakata retired when he left Bolton to become a movie star. Like I say I'm not certain but I know he retired young.

Yeah I knew he iniitially retired at the age of 30, but I vaguely remember seeing a story that he was considering a comeback!

yes we all forget ronaldo (the fat one) is on a freebie and will be at the start of the game wonder how many of us managers will be buying the old git

He won't be good enough for any team he'd be prepared to go to. He's been poor since 7.0.0.

hook, line and sinker?

Cardiff City in FM08 have got Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. But unfortuanetly they have both left now so they won't be there in FM09.

Also, David Beckham at LA Galaxy is a good example, like has already been mentioned.

I wonder, is this about has-beens at small clubs now? Or is this about small clubs with a few players which are really godd NOW and thus will help to progress more easily than otherwise possible with a small club?

I feel the OP was talking about the latter, even though erring about the category into which the Overmars/Deventer case falls imho.

Archived