Teams which use FM to scout

Neji

IGN: How does it feel when you hear that real football teams use Football Manager's player database?

Miles Jacobson: Ha-ha, it's funny isn't it? Obviously the famous example was Mourinho's head scout at Chelsea [Andre Villas]. But also we are sure that two Premiership clubs this summer bought players based on Football Manager database – I can't tell you who they were but honestly it was just uncanny!

Firstly, who did Andre Villas scout with FM?

Secondly, which two Premiership clubs used Fm this summer?

Kompany would be one and Behrami would be my other guess
Although the team as a whole was quite poor, Behrami played very well for Switzerland in Euro 2008, especially in their opening game, and in my opinion he was one of the team's stars in the dreadful conditions in their match against Turkey...and as someone else has said he played very well at club level over the past couple of years (I wouldn't have a clue about that personally), I wouldn't say he was an FM buy.

But given how there's mention of big names possibly using FM for scouting, I'm surprised the French leagues haven't been stripped of all their youth players (Henri Saivet, Mamadou Sakho et al) :D Beats me if these guys actually could be truly world-class somewhere down the line or if the French researcher(s) had just come back from Amsterdam, but there are loads of potential talents from France in FM2008 and aside from Hugo Lloris going to Lyonnais to replace Coupet, I can't think of any of them moving club during the summer.

You'd have to ask Andre Villas which players he used our database to check out - he said that he used the database in an interview a couple of years ago.

But you can tell us which clubs used it this summer? I don't mind being PM'd :D

To be honest Mamadou Sakho is probably quite well known in the footballing world.

Anyone who has captained their club (in a decent league like the French) before their 18th birthday, is bound to be known outside his home shores as you dont make 17 year old donkeys captain, even if just for a couple of games.

To be fair, alot of people outside of FM don't know who Kompany is.

I'm sure most people in football (as in working for a club like Man City) would have heard about a 22 (or so?) year old kid who's a belgium regular as well as being a star in the german league?

Sure Dave down the pub might not know much about him, but anyone actually involved in scouting, buying players, etc. would...

I'm sure most people in football (as in working for a club like Man City) would have heard about a 22 (or so?) year old kid who's a belgium regular as well as being a star in the german league?

Sure Dave down the pub might not know much about him, but anyone actually involved in scouting, buying players, etc. would...

I'd agree but what I'm saying is that I can see why people would think Man City scouted him on the strenght of FM :)

To be honest Mamadou Sakho is probably quite well known in the footballing world.
I never said otherwise; I was merely using him as an example of the many youngsters in the French league who have a ridiculously high PA stat in the game :)

Chelsea signed Fabio Paim from Sporting on loan with a view to buy, i remember he was class a few FM's ago i used to sign him and Freddy Adu when they were both 14. So i reckon Chelsea found him through FM.

It couldn't be that their manager used to be the manager of Portugual, could it? He'd know about all their rising stars. I seriously doubt he's an FM buy.

I can confirm one club to be Bolton

Johan Elmander has a PA of 170

Fab Muamba goes to 160

Mustapha Riga to touches 160

I'm sure,these are all FM Buys

Elmander and Muamba and very well known IRL. Muamba is 100% not an FM buy. Riga? Possibly, but I doubt it.

Archived