The 'Why Did I Sign Him' Thread

ok i just re-signed patrik viera and thierry henry for arsenal- both on free's of course but then again why would you pay money for 35/36 year olds??

i thought it would be funny to start them in a game and by half-time they had ratings of 5 and 70% fitness....on the plus side the fans were instantly happy with the signings....wait until they see thier perfomances.....:)

once i signed a 36 year old ronaldo from real madrid he had a 800.000 euro per year contract and anything he did was just to freak me out every time he missed or egoisticaly diden't pass the ball or just simply complain because he's lack of first team oportunities

well at least i only paid for him a 100.000 euros or so

but man he was worthless grrrr

AMC Rafinha for £6m which was a lot when trying to stay in the premiership with Shrewsbury. Ponced about, 3 fantastic passes all season and appeared totally uninterested in whatever shape the other 10 players were arrayed around (usually behind) him. Dropped in the end for the man he was supposed to replace, Youssouf Hersi, who I paid 100 times less for and who produced 100 times more. Never felt so let down.

It was the 31st of August (like today lol) and was playing with Man Utd (second season) and just before the end of the transfer window both Rooney and Tevez got injured for several months so I was in desperate need of a striker, with no pennies left. I bought Julio Ricardo Cruz for 600.000. Boy he could only play for 60 minutes. Not a good decision.

Mind you I've had worse transfers. What I hate especially is when you buy a player for a lot of money, and he gets injured after a week or two and you lose him for 3 months. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I signed Rat the romanian left back for about £4million to sort out my left back problem at Celtic (Naylor was terrible) but Rat was even worse he continually got caught out of position and even when he was back he got turned upside down and inside out by SPL wingers (don't even get me started on europe) so at the end of the season i had to get rid of him. The best offer was £1.5million from Reading but i had no choice and i'm now glad he's off the books

I always have good performances from Vagner Love (helps that he has a cool name). I've signed lots of dodgy freebies in my time and in my current Charlton save Matejovsky. Granted he was only £475,000 and he had better stats than Zheng Zhe. Unfortunately he plays like pump.

My brother brought Vagner Love for about £5m once and he was banging them in like the world was going to end the next day. Think he got about 21 goals before he was forced to sell him to Arsenal for £10.5m. That was a previous game though so that could explain it.

I bought this regen GK for 40 million lbs with Juventus.....I had my eye on him for a couple of years, and I could've save about 25 million and gotten a similar player.

I also bought an amazing regen ST for 30 million lbs, and his strikeforce partner I recieved on a Bosman had the same year he did.....which was amazing. Not really a bad buy, cause they both got 22 goals in about 35 games, but wow, 30 million or 0, which would you want to spend?

Coming to the end of the January transfer window I was down to only 1 decent AML (which is a neccesity in my formation) and 1 player who could fill in but was much better on the right I decide I need to buy 2 players (I'm not sure why, I think Jim Beam told me too), so I promptly sign Stewart Downing from Inter for $40M and James McFadden from relegated Fulham for $15M (god knows why he was still worth that in Championship). Downing played 4 games and also got injured for 6 months! McFadden made a total of 10 apperances (mostly from the bench) and went to newly promoted Charlton for $4M at the end of the season.

I guess Downing did become a solid player, keeping Dos Santos on the bench for most of the next season!

I signed Uche for FC Bayern and then really regretted it, not because he was a poor signing (he actually did very well, I think he got 15 in 25 league appearances over 2 seasons), but because I really didn't need him. I already had Podolski, Kuranyi and Kiessling and only played one up front. He remains my record signing at £9.75m, but two years later headed to Betis for only £2m.

Vagner Love.

Anyone who's thought "ooh a cheap Brazilian with good stats" knows my pain.

Oh my God, I spent all my f***ing transfer money on this asswipe and he scored like 8 goals for £8mil. Luckily Spurs came in with a £12mil bid at the end of the season. I think even the board understood how crap he was as they accepted the bid before I could even consider it.

oh yeah and ray parlour i signed him early on in the game but only because i wanted him to become a coach.

Ray Parlour gave my Luton side a great two seasons and is now doing well as a coach.

Mine would be Jon Parkin - £500k and can't perform in League Two.

Makoun the DMC for 18 million pounds was my worst mistake. I don't know what happened, but he never got more than a 6 playing as a DMC. A year after I bought him, his value had plummeted to 5.75 million pounds, and I flogged him to Man City. Never again.

Oh my God, I spent all my f***ing transfer money on this asswipe and he scored like 8 goals for £8mil. Luckily Spurs came in with a £12mil bid at the end of the season. I think even the board understood how crap he was as they accepted the bid before I could even consider it.

the board finally doing something in favour of the manager! this is totally unheard of ;)

i remember signing this regen spanish striker he was 30 i bought him for 5 milion beacause he had amazing stats . then in his first game for Rangers. We got a free kick and obviously the player was angry and kicked him he got sent off and also injuerd nagnacio polo =[ for 6 month he came back played 3 games then retierd =[

Don't laugh, lol, But I had amazing scout reports on Tal Ben Haim on FM07 so I splashed the cash and bought him for £19mil at Liverpool. The thing is, he didn't make a single appearance for L'pool. Ever He just rotted in the reserves until I sold him to Bolton for £9mil

Ooo, my worst signing i think probably has to be quaresma, after hearing about this guy in euro 2004 i instantly started to like him so i put on fm and thought right im gunna get him, thing is i payed 28 million for him and well, lets say he isnt quite what he is irl because inter just payed 21 for him and in two season im sure he wil do better than 5 avg rating 2 goals and no asists :(

I spent £13.75 million on Huntelaar as Newcastle. He scored 10 goals in his first 15 games then didn't score more than another 5 goals over the next season. At least Man City bid £14 million for him and I ploughed this into buying goal-machine Berbatov.

Iniesta £32M or even up to £40M for Inter i believe

OOh That's worrying, having just acquired him for Man Utd for £42 million

My biggest waste of cash

DIEGO - Werder Bremen £23 million, One season, 31 games 0 goals 2 non-crucial assists - playing alongside Nani, C. Ronaldo, Rooney & with Klose spearheading a front five..

Says he is unhappy I dont appreciate his contribution - I say CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING

In fact I say you're outta here!

It was the 31st of August (like today lol) and was playing with Man Utd (second season) and just before the end of the transfer window both Rooney and Tevez got injured for several months so I was in desperate need of a striker, with no pennies left. I bought Julio Ricardo Cruz for 600.000. Boy he could only play for 60 minutes. Not a good decision.

Mind you I've had worse transfers. What I hate especially is when you buy a player for a lot of money, and he gets injured after a week or two and you lose him for 3 months. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

that happens to me all the freakin' time, its painfull .. and its always the good players, the other ones that i could replace easily are in great shape all the time

i signed javier portillo for sevilla for £7M because he was the leagues top scorer the previous season. not a massive fee, but i'm not exactly rolling in it. 4 goals in his first 3 games, then more 4 for the whole season. i also made a mistake in registration and forgot to give mirko vucinic a number. from january when the window reopened to june when we lost the uefa cup final, he scored 14 in 25, considering that the highest was 18 goals is twice as many games, i felt a right mug. :(

I cant mind who it was i bought now but was a good time ago this year.

I had went my manager travels in about 5 different countries and came back to celtic, werent doing so well, hardly any cash as it was thrown away on poor players, so i signed this 33 year old guy who was at Man Utd, hadnt got a game in a season really, just odd appearence but his track record before that was minimum of 22 goals a season with several clubs.

I sat delaying the transfer but i thought in the end, as i couldnt get other targets, i would give him a go, £3m he cost me, all of my money in hope something could happen up front.

That season he scored twice from penaltys, got sent off 4 times, scored three own goals and then got injured that he missed rest of the season, decided to retire while he was injured, i got sacked as i couldnt recover from 5th to 2nd, was not a good return and this no hoper just wasted me.

I signed Christiano Ronaldo at 32 when I was Valencia, heart ruling head, just to say I'd managed him, but as he turned 33 there was a reason Roma had let him go for £5m, and he was that poor I had to release him with a year to go as I had put him on crazy money.

But we had the cash so it was a worthwhile experiement. It leads me nicely onto the decline of players, does anyone else think they decline far too quickly at 30, I'm still playing the same game and am now in season 2033/34 and have found almost all players are utterly useless by the time they are 32/33.

I think we all know a lot of players are still very capable at this age, and I would imagine players like Ronaldo who had immense ability, should be able to carry on in the top flight until 34/35, obviously losing a yard of pace, but none of his quality? I find I have to get shut of most players between 30-32 and this is a little young for me.

i bought Adriano from a Brazillian team (Flamengo i think) for £15m thought i had a real bargin, as i thought it was the striker that was playing for inter at the time, this was a few versions ago, anyway, he turned out to be rubbish, so i thought id check inter, and sure enough the real one was there, id been duped souness style into a dodgy fake!!

Joaquin, cost me £47m after I started playing after a night out. Scored once in two seasons and sold for £8m. Ironic that I was playing as Chelsea with their record of wasting big money.

Joaquin is a total waste of money - however much you pay for him. He never seems to work for me in past FM's so when I took charge of Valencia I sold him for big bucks to Chelski. No faith in the boy. Utter rubbish IMO.

But, then, that's what happens when you come in after a night out and playing FM's the only thing on your mind ;) Drunk, I once paid 56million for Messi. But he was worth it.

56m for messi?? thats not three bad tbh.... could be a lot worse... im just waitin for Rafa Benitez to come post in this thread... could be most of the team he's got atm.. and i'm a liverpool fan!!

Archived