game is now just boring

every year i buy the game and get excited about playing it. but every year it results in the same story. no matter what i do, the ai always seems to do a better job. i just started a new save and in the first 5 games i lost all of them. your thinking nothin wrong with that. but when i take over spurs and lose against west brom, wolves, wigan, fulham and also everton. out of them i scored 3 and let in 15. i read that people find this easy, but i just cant seem to find out how. i always seem to struggle and just find it boring

You find it boring when you are losing? I'm the opposite, it can be frustrating but I like the challenge.

You should go to the tactics forum and read a few threads in there which can help you improve. Don't download other people's tactics though, as it's much more satisfying to pick up some tips and win with your own tactics.

What are looking for out of the game? Is it to win everything, if so go and have a play in the editor.

The fact that you lost the fist few games is realistic you are a rookie manager taking over an elite team. Just look at AVB irl and he was not exaclty a rookie!

oh no i dont want to be winning everything straight away, i just think its easier to lose then it is to get a win. and i only signed 3 players. a forward and to midfielders, 1 was a loan.

i have had a look at the tatics forums but it still dont do much luck for me

just download some tactics from people, the game is actually no fun to find your own working tactic since the match engine can be very tricky/buggy until you get a full understand what all the options are doing

Worst advice ever.

I don't understand how you get any enjoyment from winning via other people's tactics. If so, then you associate fun with winning only and care very little for actually playing the game.

you are not "winning only" when you use tactics that "work", by "work" you still need a team tailored around the tactic... dont see how its fun to study the forums for around 72 hours to find out what all the tactic options are doing, and be up2date with every defense bug of the game like man marking/zonal marking... maybe fun for you, others wanna just play the game and have some fun, not study 75 different sliders you are able to adjust

every year i buy the game and get excited about playing it. but every year it results in the same story. no matter what i do, the ai always seems to do a better job. i just started a new save and in the first 5 games i lost all of them. your thinking nothin wrong with that. but when i take over spurs and lose against west brom, wolves, wigan, fulham and also everton. out of them i scored 3 and let in 15. i read that people find this easy, but i just cant seem to find out how. i always seem to struggle and just find it boring

for some reason i just won my first 10 premier league games as liverpool in the first season - without conceding a single goal. I've won my first 15 games now.

another save game and i'll lose to lots of rubbish teams and end up only winning 2 out of the first 10 and conceding 14 goals. sometimes it just seems like its happening because it wants to, regardless of what you do.

I think you need patience when playing FM. When you first join a club it's unlikely everything will be as you want it to be, so changes will need to be made to personnel/tactics etc.

Whilst you're in the process of making these changes your team might lack consistency, but providing there's a good logic behind what you're doing, you'll eventually find the consistency and success.

For example at my present club I took over almost halfway through a season with the team languishing in mid-table. By the end of the season I hadn't really improved matters whilst I was tweaking the instructions, and signing new players.

Going into my 2nd season I was unsure as to how we'd do. I expected promotion, but I feared I wouldn't deliver it. In the end my team comfortably won the division. I signed the right players, kept faith in what I was doing, and it all eventually came together.

I wouldn't say FM is an easy game, but I don't think it's a hard game either. It's just not necessarily a game where you'll have instant success.

I'm having the opposite happen - I am winning everything.

I took Sabadell to the Champions League Final - took about 6 seasons, but finally got a league win, spanish cup, and the final of the CL.

Then I was approached by Liverpool, who were doing ok and expected to finish mid-table. I took the job, and won the league and CL, in about 3 seasons. Finished the season with over 100 league goals.

Roma approached me around November, they were lying 8th in the league and had a negative goal difference. I won the league and finished with a +60 goal difference.

The game is very boring for me. No matter what challenge I take, whether it's the Brazil Hero, or any Hero challenge, or if I take on obscure leagues, nations, international management - I just keep winning everything.

I don't know how to make the game any harder for myself.

I used to use the exploit of the Transfer System, signing new teams on a €40m budget, using the 48 month trick. But I stopped doing that ages ago.

All I do is:

Sign good coaches and a good Assistant Manager and good scouts (although I don't use scouts anymore) - after a while of playing I can tell what stats to look for for each training category.

Sort all the players by their Potential Star Rating

Filter the player position - and I get rid of the lower star potential player for each position

I then (well used to) scout players for each position - the only rule is their potential star has to be equal or better than what I've got already

(As I don't use scouts anymore the process is different. I go to each country I have loaded in the game, and I check the player stats for that country, if I need a good tackling defender or midfielder I'll check out the "Tackles Per Game" measure it against the amount of cards. If I need a good striker I'll weigh up the different leagues and who's scoring - who's doing assists etc)

This process is great for me - as it weeds out the week players in the squad and then strengthens the team by having quality players to rotate. The players don't get upset with the changes to the squad.

I play 1 formation - and I never change (unless for a red card or something)

Gk - LB CD CD RB - MC MC - AMR AMC AML - ST (Fluid - Attacking)

I set them all to their preferred role - like Inside Forward, or Poacher, Limited defender etc.

At the start - I set the Training thing to "Teamwork" but after a while I change that focus depending on what needs to be done.

That's pretty much it - I can build a team to win in no time.

For example - that's what I did with Roma when I took over in November when they were lying 8th. I won the league with them.

you are not "winning only" when you use tactics that "work", by "work" you still need a team tailored around the tactic... dont see how its fun to study the forums for around 72 hours to find out what all the tactic options are doing, and be up2date with every defense bug of the game like man marking/zonal marking... maybe fun for you, others wanna just play the game and have some fun, not study 75 different sliders you are able to adjust

You don't need to study the forums for 72 hours, know anything about bugs or even use the sliders - it's best to use the tactic creator to make something simple and that makes sense to you. Then if you still need a little help then look at one or 2 threads that give useful advice on understanding how tactics work in-game.

You just need a basic understanding of football to get reasonable success out of your own tactics and it will be a thousand times more satisfying when you start beating teams with your own tactic.

One is a ball winning midfielder defend - and the other is a Box to Box Midfielder.

I imagine one hangs out in front of the back four breaking up play, and the other helps out defensively and in attack.

Essentially, the BBM adds support to defense and attack.

The system works great.

The LB and the RB are set to Support and opperate as full backs, crossing from the half-way or feeding the Wingers.

Have to say - scoring 100+ goals a season - and best defensive record.

No error lol.

• Administrators

Sounds like the tactic is too strong and is somehow exploiting certain tactics if it's that easy to turn a team around. Probably worth raising something about it in the bugs forum in all honesty.

I don't think it is any sort of exploit. I've used other tactics in other Saves, like a 4-4-2 diamond, or a 4-3-3, or a 4-2-1-2 etc. and have similar results.

I don't do anything in the Tactic Creator.

Using the system as I laid out before - of bettering the team each transfer window - I usually end up with a world class team pretty quickly.

When I took the Roma job they had a transfer budget of 40m. After I sold off the players I thought were the weakest I had a 90m war chest. And I was able to bring in about 5 or 6 players, who turned out to be better than what I already had.

I think continually replacing the weaker players is what does it. I noticed before where I said "I don't need any more players" and I don't sign people, then there can sometimes be a dip in form.

I think they key is to continually spot the weaker positions in the team and get better players - and that seems to work wonders.

They don't tend to do their job defensively as their position is too restricted and they can get outnumbered - but it seems like your attack is doing a good enough job in overwhelming the opposition to allow them to exploit you defensively, so I wouldn't worry. Probably down to your BWM and B2B winning the ball high up the pitch more often than not.

Well that was the plan lol - winning the ball in midfield. I got two of the best "Tackles Per Game" for both the CD and the MC position.

And I do see the MCs tracking back and winning the ball inbetween the box and the halfway line.

I am using the same formation as Eugene with immense success. Though, I am using a defensive playmaker and an offensive playmaker in the two cm positions. My team doesn't let many goals in and they score plenty. It's a simple tactic (4-2-3-1 with two cm) using zonal marking. Depending on the opponent and whether it's home or away I use everything from counter to attacking but mostly control.

Yeah im using a 4-2-3-1 right now to great success with Wigan, i have one set as a ball winning mid/defend and the other to central mid/support, i have not noticed any big problems, but i do play a high line with a very quick defense so it probably covers me a bit.

You don't need to study the forums for 72 hours, know anything about bugs or even use the sliders - it's best to use the tactic creator to make something simple and that makes sense to you. Then if you still need a little help then look at one or 2 threads that give useful advice on understanding how tactics work in-game.

You just need a basic understanding of football to get reasonable success out of your own tactics and it will be a thousand times more satisfying when you start beating teams with your own tactic.

actually the rest of the topic discussion proofed my point :p

I'm having the opposite happen - I am winning everything.

I took Sabadell to the Champions League Final - took about 6 seasons, but finally got a league win, spanish cup, and the final of the CL.

Then I was approached by Liverpool, who were doing ok and expected to finish mid-table. I took the job, and won the league and CL, in about 3 seasons. Finished the season with over 100 league goals.

Roma approached me around November, they were lying 8th in the league and had a negative goal difference. I won the league and finished with a +60 goal difference.

The game is very boring for me. No matter what challenge I take, whether it's the Brazil Hero, or any Hero challenge, or if I take on obscure leagues, nations, international management - I just keep winning everything.

I don't know how to make the game any harder for myself.

I used to use the exploit of the Transfer System, signing new teams on a €40m budget, using the 48 month trick. But I stopped doing that ages ago.

All I do is:

Sign good coaches and a good Assistant Manager and good scouts (although I don't use scouts anymore) - after a while of playing I can tell what stats to look for for each training category.

Sort all the players by their Potential Star Rating

Filter the player position - and I get rid of the lower star potential player for each position

I then (well used to) scout players for each position - the only rule is their potential star has to be equal or better than what I've got already

(As I don't use scouts anymore the process is different. I go to each country I have loaded in the game, and I check the player stats for that country, if I need a good tackling defender or midfielder I'll check out the "Tackles Per Game" measure it against the amount of cards. If I need a good striker I'll weigh up the different leagues and who's scoring - who's doing assists etc)

This process is great for me - as it weeds out the week players in the squad and then strengthens the team by having quality players to rotate. The players don't get upset with the changes to the squad.

I play 1 formation - and I never change (unless for a red card or something)

Gk - LB CD CD RB - MC MC - AMR AMC AML - ST (Fluid - Attacking)

I set them all to their preferred role - like Inside Forward, or Poacher, Limited defender etc.

At the start - I set the Training thing to "Teamwork" but after a while I change that focus depending on what needs to be done.

That's pretty much it - I can build a team to win in no time.

For example - that's what I did with Roma when I took over in November when they were lying 8th. I won the league with them.

So you cherry pick players and boast of winning everything? Try using scouts only and come back.

So you cherry pick players and boast of winning everything? Try using scouts only and come back.

He said he looks for players based on match statistics, not player attributes. That's trickier and more realistic than using FM's scouts.

"Cherry pick" players seems an odd way to describe what the poster says he does: he looks at stats. A real-life manager can quite easily do the same, and to a certain extent they do.

Well I play my matches blindfolded, and randomly select the players I bring into the club. I use the editor to start my team at -£10'000000 and................I select my starting rep as............wait for it...............Sunday League Footballer.

Anyone who doesn't do this is, in a way, cheating.

Seriously, people like to play the way differently, why rag on them for it?

"Cherry pick" players seems an odd way to describe what the poster says he does: he looks at stats. A real-life manager can quite easily do the same, and to a certain extent they do.

He finds starred players so he knows they will be at least as good as what he's got from the off, and finds specific transfers that lead the field with what he's after. Yes, I'd say that's cherry picking. Which is fine if that's the way you enjoy FM, but why list the trophy cabinet?

Yes a manager can look at stats, but where's his starred list IRL? He'd need a database created by his scouts.

I've done it with scouts before. The only reason I don't use scouts any more is because I got sick of all the news items. I realised I could find players myself - and a lot faster - without getting 40 news items every week about players I would never ever ever sign.

Honestly - it's easier with scouts. I just don't like all the news feed items.

I've severely cut down on the news items coming into my feeds - I don't have ANY subscriptions to any player, league, competition etc.

I turned off the Filter Agent Offers in Team Policy.

And I don't use scouts.

I can now get through pre-season without getting 80 news items a DAY!

And the other advantage of not having scouts is not having to go through 18 contract renewals - which is another pet peeve of mine in the game. I hate the way contract negotiations are handled, it's very tedious. How do I get around it? Don't have scouts to renew the contracts, simples.

I'm also partial to letting certain coaches contracts expire. I'll only renew the coaches that are topping the training "star" list. And I'll happily find a better coach for the ones I let go in no time at all. As I know what stats to look for to get the star rating to 4.5 or even 5 in training.

80 items a day is not unreasonable if you send out all your scouts to report on lots of players at the same time. I used to scout over 1000 players in one go and would be inundated with news items over the next 2 weeks.

Well when you get into the game for a few seasons and have success, the amount of scouts allowed is increased. I had in excess of 18 scouts. And they were out scouting the entire globe. And I'd get news messages like "Man Utds Rooney would be a good signing" - and I'm playing as Liverpool, for example.

80 isn't unreasonable if you mass select & scout players. I go through all major U-19 teams once a year or so and for a week or two i have full inbox every day.

But it is unreasonable if the scouts are just recommending players, as he is saying is happening.

What you say about selecting a load of players to be scouted is quite different.

I don't see the problem in downloading a working tactic and then concentrate on the other aspects of the game. If he lost the first five matches with Tottenham against those teams, it is unlikely that he has mastered any of them. There are three main aspects; tactics, man management and team building. Learning all of them at the same time is very difficult, and I know several people who haven't managed to create a working tactic since FM2009, but are still very good FM players - should they give up, then? No, if you can't build a tactic that makes a difference yourself, download one that does and enjoy FM anyways.

I despise the Holier Than Thou attitude from the TC&shout brigade.

He finds starred players so he knows they will be at least as good as what he's got from the off, and finds specific transfers that lead the field with what he's after. Yes, I'd say that's cherry picking. Which is fine if that's the way you enjoy FM, but why list the trophy cabinet?

Yes a manager can look at stats, but where's his starred list IRL? He'd need a database created by his scouts.

So your problem is that he uses scouts to assemble a general list of recommendations... and then looks at specific players' performances to determine if they will be a good fit for what he needs.

In other words, he does what football managers do. :rolleyes:

I don't see the problem in downloading a working tactic and then concentrate on the other aspects of the game. If he lost the first five matches with Tottenham against those teams, it is unlikely that he has mastered any of them. There are three main aspects; tactics, man management and team building. Learning all of them at the same time is very difficult, and I know several people who haven't managed to create a working tactic since FM2009, but are still very good FM players - should they give up, then? No, if you can't build a tactic that makes a difference yourself, download one that does and enjoy FM anyways.

I despise the Holier Than Thou attitude from the TC&shout brigade.

How can they be good if they can't do one of the three main aspects? If I knew nothing about history but copied somebody elses exam paper to the letter to get a top mark and told you what I'd done, would you consider me to have a good knowledge of history?

How can they be good if they can't do one of the three main aspects? If I knew nothing about history but copied somebody elses exam paper to the letter to get a top mark and told you what I'd done, would you consider me to have a good knowledge of history?

If you built a race car but bought the engine, I would still consider you to have built the race car yes.

But i he was allowed to copy the work for a while and learn from it then when it comes to exam time then he knows what he is doing then hes ok. Thats what I did on FM08 when i first started getting into the tactics etc I downloaded one which described how I wanted to play and it worked. Since then I decided to look at how it was set up and read what each slider etc did. I then created my own even better tactic when FM09 was out and since then I never looked back. Creating your tactic is rewarding as hell but you need somewhere to start with out reading hard to read and understand threads. Anyway some people can learn like that. Some like to be shown and some just have a go and see how it goes. Either way it dosnt matter really. All that matters is we are all FM fans and are good at it in our own way. :-D

Archived