Cost of FM12 thru Steam

This is usually the way with Steam and new games. Not sure why they have this policy (obviously good reason, maybe to cover DB/server costs).

Will say that they do have very good "offers" known again.. Wouldn't be suprised if FM12 will be on offer nearer Xmas.. (i know people wont wait till then)

It's due to retailers refusing to sell a game if steam would undercut them. Retail sales are still a massive part of game profits, and a publisher would be silly to risk annoying them.

But SI have continually said Steam sets the price, not the Publisher.

Steam allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location. This can cause some games to cost more than retail prices, despite digital distribution removing the costs of manufacturing, packaging, design, and logistics.

Not according to Steam's wiki page.

This is how Steam fund their awesome sales. They sell all new releases for more than a lot of other retailers and make massive profits from them, relying on their ardent fans or laziness.

This way, they make up for their lesser profit made selling titles for £10 that are normally £30 but don't sell as much anymore due to being out for a while already.

Because they're a rip off. Usually best to wait until it's the weekend deal or whatever - though with seasonal games like fm that can be pointless. And people wonder why legal downloads get criticised!

It's the same on PSN, everything is waaay overpriced.

It's sad that people will mostly ignore this post when it actually perfectly depicts the situation. Steam CANNOT EVER undercut regular retailers or the retailers would simply refuse to carry games. They only exception to this are sales where you can pick up stuff dirt cheap.

As for the price i do believe it is 30 pounds/50$/50€

It's sad that people will mostly ignore this post when it actually perfectly depicts the situation. Steam CANNOT EVER undercut regular retailers or the retailers would simply refuse to carry games. They only exception to this are sales where you can pick up stuff dirt cheap.

As for the price i do believe it is 30 pounds/50$/50€

It smells very conspiracy-theorist-y, but I would imagine the UK Competition Authority would be interested in this if it were true (I'm not saying this is the case, of course).

I want a market where people can undercut others without caring, without threats like this, on the merits of the appropriate solutions - it benefits consumers.

Indeed it is, but it's very likely the case. Valve games for example are quite cheap on steam(cheaper than in retail), as is every indie game out there. But every big game is either more expensive or costs the same. It's too much of a coincidence really. Either way, it is a shame but hey, not much we can do about it.

It's interesting, but I will never understand why anyone would pre-order a game on Steam anyway. Online retail is far cheaper (not Game as they are rubbish for PC games), and you get all the benefits of Steam with the only drawback being the postal system might take a few days longer to deliver then Steam. Maybe it's just I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying games.

It smells very conspiracy-theorist-y, but I would imagine the UK Competition Authority would be interested in this if it were true (I'm not saying this is the case, of course).

I want a market where people can undercut others without caring, without threats like this, on the merits of the appropriate solutions - it benefits consumers.

Would Steam really would want a investigation, they currently do things in a way that aren't necessarily within the spirit of UK/EU consumer rules. They get away with some things due to laws that mostly came into force before digital downloading and probably don't really want them to be looked at too closely incase someone decides new ones are needed ;).

I take advantage of Steam's sales, bundles and discounts on games that have been out for a few months, so I don't mind paying a few dollars extra for a newly released game such as FM.

I purchased about 10 games this year through steam that would have cost me double at retail prices.

I don't see £30 as too much to pay for a computer game, these days. When you consider the vast numbers of people involved in game development, how long it takes and the fact that they all need paying a decent wage if you want the best people in the team. You'll need to sell a lot of volume to recoup that cost. Add to that the profits required by the distributors, retailers, etc.

FM is a game that will absorb many hours of my leisure time, not just for the next few weeks like other games, but for the whole year. If I only play the game for 5 hours a week, that's less than 12 pence per hour. In reality my game time will probably be closer to double that figure.

Somehow I doubt Sega are setting these rip of prices so why are the UK paying 18% more and the EU 72% more?

Steam doesn't set the prices. As mentioned earlier, SEGA probably want to make more off each copy sold because of Steam's cut, hence raising the price.

I never EVER buy from Steam simply because I can't afford it. Example: FM would cost me €49.95 (£43 GBP) on Steam yet I can download it anywhere else for just under €29 (£25 GBP). I don't go along with this "it's because of server costs" rubbish. It's a digital download so why is the game a full €21 more on Steam than if I bought from Steam with a UK address? Does it cost Steam more to send bandwidth to Ireland? It's a joke.

Steam doesn't set the prices. As mentioned earlier, SEGA probably want to make more off each copy sold because of Steam's cut, hence raising the price.

Sega already make more money per sale of steam but that still doesnt explain the massive differences in prices which are for every game with every publisher so steam are lying about setting the prices because they are all the same rip off across the board.

Hi,

I need to buy a copy for my Desktop PC, but I also use a lot my Samsung air laptop, which has no DVD drive in it. The only problem is the 49€ they are asking for it.

Is there no other digital download provider cheaper than steam?

thanks

I never EVER buy from Steam simply because I can't afford it. Example: FM would cost me €49.95 (£43 GBP) on Steam yet I can download it anywhere else for just under €29 (£25 GBP). I don't go along with this "it's because of server costs" rubbish. It's a digital download so why is the game a full €21 more on Steam than if I bought from Steam with a UK address? Does it cost Steam more to send bandwidth to Ireland? It's a joke.

You're right to say that. Bandwidth is very, very cheap these days. Server costs have nothing to do with it.

Hi,

I need to buy a copy for my Desktop PC, but I also use a lot my Samsung air laptop, which has no DVD drive in it. The only problem is the 49€ they are asking for it.

Is there no other digital download provider cheaper than steam?

thanks

As the game is linked to your Steam account you can buy a boxed copy as all you need is the Steam code, once you have linked the game to your steam account you can download it through steam without needing the dvd.

Steam is a rip off, thats why.

Youd have to be an idiot to buy new games off them from Europe.

If CDs were £9, would you pay £15 for download the songs?

Or maybe you have enough money not to worry about a pittance like £6 and prefer the convenience of downloading. Just a thought....

If I buy a cd I then have to rip it onto my PC and then transfer to my phone, i am prepared to pay more to simply more to avoid that. Saying that downloaded Noel Gallaghers new album from amazon the other day and it was only £3.99!!, which seemed very low

Agreed but it doesn't make those that are idiots, does it?
Well, everyone has different ideas on what is worth the convenience or not.

Not Amazon vs. Steam, though, as one delivers to your doorstep, whilst one downloads - there's little additional effort, but Steam costs €20 more in Ireland, for example. That, to me, strains the idea that it Steam is "worth" the additional convenience.

To be honest I think someone rather foolish if they buy games somewhat regularly and always overpay by £5/£10.
Well, everyone has different ideas on what is worth the convenience or not.

Not Amazon vs. Steam, though, as one delivers to your doorstep, whilst one downloads - there's little additional effort, but Steam costs €20 more in Ireland, for example. That, to me, strains the idea that it Steam is "worth" the additional convenience.

Obviously there is a point when the added price for convenience is too much but again that is different for each person. Doesnt make those that choose convenience because they can afford it idiots though, which is my point.

Obviously there is a point when the added price for convenience is too much but again that is different for each person. Doesnt make those that choose convenience because they can afford it idiots though, which is my point.
A person being an idiot is an opinion of another person, though... So nobody is really an idiot. But in Ireland, if you had a choice between "sit down and click a button on Amazon" (€29) or "sit down and click a button on Steam" (€50), I think a lot of people would be idiots to choose the latter button. And I think a lot of people would think they are idiots, too.

This is exactly the same as with my amazon kindle. It does cost a little more to buy most books through this, but I have over 400 books on kindle. Where would I keep these 400 books People just dont have room. Its more convenient for me to buy from steam as if I were to buy a boxed copy I would have to pay for somewhere to put it. How much does a shelf cost and the time it would take me to put it up? Probably the same as the extra cost of the 10 games I would put on it. With house prices the way they are I suppose people can afford to pay an extra 20k to have extra space for all their stuff. I have literally got no more room to put things without investing a lot of money into expansion.

But I suppose that using this logic makes me an idiot

This is exactly the same as with my amazon kindle. It does cost a little more to buy most books through this, but I have over 400 books on kindle. Where would I keep these 400 books People just dont have room. Its more convenient for me to buy from steam as if I were to buy a boxed copy I would have to pay for somewhere to put it. How much does a shelf cost and the time it would take me to put it up? Probably the same as the extra cost of the 10 games I would put on it. With house prices the way they are I suppose people can afford to pay an extra 20k to have extra space for all their stuff. I have literally got no more room to put things without investing a lot of money into expansion.

If you buy the boxed version of a game that supports steam, then you simply put the cd-key in to steam and throw the box in the bin.

Doesn't that guy work for Valve? ;)

nope

Again this has been discussed and valve already said multiple times that publisher sets price on steam .

If you have cheaper places to buy , why all the rant? no one is forcing you to buy from steam

Most price differences come from the fact publishers divided the world in regions according to taxes and other categories , example FM in spain costs 25 euros and on Portugal 50 euros , reasoning ? in Spain they have their own managing game and they have to compete with that , look hat the prices in Russia . their very cheap then go to Australia were their massively expensive , this is not a steam only thing it happens in retail aswell . want to blame someone blame the publishers its their fault

@philly_flyer10 for the 1011104x time stop spreading lies , this is not the first time you do it . wen do you leave your blind hate behind?

It doesn't but then again getting the game digitally through shop.to for example instead of steam makes a hell of a difference for me. Steam costs me 49.99 euros while my preorder from shop.to has cost me 19.85 sterling or approx. 22,75 euros, which is less than half the price Steam puts on.

Some false information in this thread. Steam never sets prices, it is under complete control of the publishers. Steam organizes sale periods and works with publishers on sale pricing, but the final call is not up to Steam. For pre-releases, Steam will offer a publisher advice >if asked<, and will give it based solely on historical sales stats in the same genre.

Regional price differences are also beyond Steam's control, and are the subject of recurring arguments in their forums. In most cases, it stems from individual publishers cutting exclusivity deals with brick-and-mortar retailers in their home countries. As I understand it, AUS prices are extremely inflated due to tax laws.

In the US, every version of FM has been pre-sold at $40 US. There have been different pre-order incentives offered by Sega each time. Last year they gave away free bundles of Sega Genesis games (on Steam) to pre-order purchasers. This year they're giving away TF2 items, which are all the rage these days. Kids who don't care about FM will pay up to $20 US just to get the items, so if you do such a deal, net cost for the pre-order becomes $20 US. Complaints about pre-order price gouging in the UK need to be directed to Sega.

Archived