Most shots without a goal - brought to you by SSN

So after the Sunderland vs Blackpool game yesterday, Sky Sports News are running an article on the greatest number of shots teams have had without a goal in the Premier league.

Here is the all time top five:

Arsenal         29  vs West Ham   06/07
Sunderland      25  vs Blackpool  10/11
Manchester Utd  24  vs Sunderland 05/06
Manchester Utd  24  vs Reading    07/08
Chelsea         24  vs Birmingham 10/11

Where does your best effort in the league stand?

Here's mine - near the top but not quite as good as Arsenal.

MiddlesbroughCupShocker.png

The above isn't as "large" an example granted, but Middlesbrough did have a lot of chances compared to my team (Telford).

The thing is, you can play for results like these, just as the AI teams can. It's all down to how you set things up tactically and your observations before and during games.

I knew that Middlesbrough were at full strength and would look to attack, being they were extremely strong favourites, so I went with a "contain" strategy. Essentially, I was looking to do what Walter Smith set out to do when Rangers played Man Utd at Old Trafford in the Champions League earlier this year. Sit deep, disrupt my opponents trying to play and look to make the most of rare opportunities on the counter-attack.

In tandem with the real life examples though, I've had games where I've had large quantities of chances compared to opponents and my team just can't seem to finish them. If I see this happening in games, then rather than trying to be more aggressive, I sometimes take a step backwards, as it's usually clear that an opponent is looking to "park the bus" and frustrate. I'll go for a "control" strategy and get my team passing the ball around, use shouts like "work ball into box" so that my team doesn't try so many long range efforts or snatch at chances so much. With this sort of approach, I've quite regularly had lower numbers of chances, but more cutting edge and goals.

I've also had my team have 8 ccc and the oppo have none but unfortunately my Crewe team lost that match 2-0! Not blaming the game though. It can happen, we missed chance after chance and early on I could see it was going to be one of those days. At least it was only our 2nd Lge defeat of the season so still top of the league and we bounced back immediately. It was probably easier to accept due to the standard of players. In Lge 2, even though you expect some of those chances to go in you can at least understand whereas at the top level you start to seriously scratch your head when your world class team misses 8ccc.

Anyone have the stats for Man Utd vs Portsmouth in the FA Cup in 2008?

If that happened in FM I'd uninstall immediately and demand a refund!

Such an awesome game that :cool:

I started off half watching it, expecting to get battered and ended up jumping up and down before making my first visit to the new Wembley.

Just played a home game with my Barcelona team against Real Madrid early in the 2nd season..

After 55 minutes i had 8 shots on target, 7 of them was CLEAR CUT CHANCES!!!

Real Madrid on the other hand had 1 (!!!!!!) shot on goal wich was 25 yard long shot from C. Ronaldo..

The score after 55:14?

Barcelona 1 - 3 Real Madrid!!!

Quit game... delete the save "Barcelona"!!

Just played a home game with my Barcelona team against Real Madrid early in the 2nd season..

After 55 minutes i had 8 shots on target, 7 of them was CLEAR CUT CHANCES!!!

Real Madrid on the other hand had 1 (!!!!!!) shot on goal wich was 25 yard long shot from C. Ronaldo..

The score after 55:14?

Barcelona 1 - 3 Real Madrid!!!

Quit game... delete the save "Barcelona"!!

what a complete over reaction, i always laugh when reading something like that.

i played away to albania with England and incredibly lost 1-0. They had one chance and i had 9 ccc plus a load of other half chances. I know it was a one off and it certainly wasn't my tactics having won the world cup and runners up in the euros. I actually think it was a hangover of losing the euro finals to france.

In 2009 Ajax played at home against Sparta and couldn't score despite having 41 shots and 22 on target. Not sure if those stats are correct (found em on a fan site) but I do remember watching that game in the stadium and we had a LOT of chances.

Hows this one? Im sitting on the bottom of the ladder after 5 games in the Norwegian Second Division. On comes Lilestrom from the Premier Division in a Norwegian Cup match and somehow I win. Wtf? all my players were tired coming into this game as well lol

hlandvlillestrmpostmatc.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived