Team-Talks: Time for a revamp?

I'm not satisfied with the current Team Talks mechanic.

I feel like its a "Guess the right answer" mechanic, and after having a couple team-talks blow up in my face - was that 0-9 hammering really necessary to make the point? - it still feels that way in FM'08.

One of the reasons I've been unhappy is that I don't feel it addresses the sorts of things my managers would tell me before matches .. and I don't think I ever "took it wrong", no matter what my manager said.

Rarely do the options I'm presented with really express what I want to say, as a manager.

Some of the team-talks that I can give have an impact at odds with my interpretation of the team-talk - the way I imagine delivering the team-talk. That sort of ambiguity makes the impact of the team-talk feel random.

Worse, some of the talks that seem to have a fairly innocuous phrasing have very large impacts.

I'd like to see an update to this are for FM'09 or FM'10 which addresses all of those areas.

Let me outline what I think the current mechanic is:

There are five choices presented to you, from a possible list of about ten, and they directly impact three emotional variables for your players:

<LI> Pressure - you can make a player more relaxed with talks like "Enjoy the game", or make him feel more pressure with talks like "I expect a win".

<LI> Motivation - you can make a player more motivated, or you can leave them demotivated.

<LI> Morale - you can give a player's spirits a lift, or you can make him unhappy / angry with you.

The feedback often tells you this, pretty much directly: "Looked happy, seemed demotivated".

Unfortunately, it feels all too easy to "Miss" and have your team-talk backfire on you - and that's very frustrating when it happens. See, for example, Best ... game ... ever !! - a "reasonable" team-talk blew up in his face, with very negative results.

That's offset by a feeling that every now and then you "get it right" and your team storms back from 0-2 down at the half to win 4-2...

... but that has its downside when an AI manager says exactly the right thing at halftime, and you don't feel like there's any way you can counteract it.

What I would like to see is a system with a lot more gentle "positive" impact options, and a lot less "whammy" results.

I'd also like to see an area which "expands" on the talk - maybe putting it into a two-sentence form, and/or describing the likely effects of it.

The idea I had was, why not have team-talks that feed directly into players' mental attributes? To couch it in "gamey" terms, you might almost have talks that give each player a 1- or 2- point attribute boost in specific mental attributes, as a result of what you told them.

In this scheme, team-talk options might be:

<LI> Work Hard

- Pre: I want to see you guys work hard for each other

- HT: We've got to work harder in the second half

- Full (W/D): Your hard work paid off

- Full (L): We've got to work harder next game

Impact: increased Work Rate

<LI> Play together

- Pre: I want you guys to play together as a team today

- HT: We've got to play more as a team in the second half

- Full (W/D): You guys worked well together today

- Full (L): We've got to stick together as a team

Impact: increased Team Work

<LI> Hold your shape

- Pre: Remember, I want you guys to hold your shape today.

- HT: We've got to hold our shape better in the second half.

- Full (0/1 goal conceded): You held your shape well today.

- Full (2+ goals allowed): We've got to hold our defensive shape better.

Impact: increased Positioning

<LI> Give each other options

- Pre: I want to see you guys moving well, giving each other options today.

- HT: We've got to have better movement in the second half. Give each other options!

- Full (2+ goals scored): The way you guys moved for each other really paid off today.

- Full (0/1 goal scored): We've got to have better off the ball movement.

Impact: increased Off The Ball

<LI> Less Mistakes

- Pre: I want to see you guys take care of the ball today. We can't afford to make mental mistakes.

- HT: We've got to make better decisions in the second half. Mistakes are killing us.

- Full (W/D): We made good decisions today, and avoided mistakes.

- Full (L): We've got to make better decisions and take care of the ball

Impact: increased Decisions

<LI> Concentrate

- Pre: I want you to stay focused today.

- HT: We've got to stay better focused in the second half.

- Full (W/D): Way to keep your concentration lads.

- Full (L): We've got to keep our concentration better.

Impact: increased Concentration

<LI> Be More Aggressive

- Pre: We've got to come out aggressive today. It's going to be a real scrap.

- HT: We've got to be more aggressive in the second half.

- Full (W/D): Our aggressive outlook really paid off today.

- Full (L): We just have to be more aggressive.

Impact: increased Aggressiveness

<LI> Who Wants It More?

- Pre: A game like this is all about will. Who wants it more?

- HT: We can win this. We just have to want it more than they do.

- Full (W/D): Your determination really paid off in the second half.

- Full (L): We can't quit on a game when we're behind.

Impact: increased Determination

These could be woven in amongst the existing options: we'd still want a way to praise and criticize players, of course. We need a way to relax nervous players before a big match, or get them fired up for a big performance. We'd still want a high-risk high-reward "Kick the boot at them" option at half-time and full-time, of course.

I'm not saying to do away with those - and obviously, some of these might be situational, e.g., the Determination full-time option wouldn't apply for a game we led 3-0 at halftime, so it simply wouldn't be presented.

Now, one aspect of the current complexity which works is that the same team-talk doesn't work the same on all players; I know its a bit controversial, but I'd want most of these to work for most players most of the time. The idea is that they're low-risk, low-reward options.

Still, each of these talks could have some personalities or situations that they don't work for - for example, a player in conflict with one of the other players on the pitch might react negatively to the "Play together". A player with poor Teamwork might selfishly ignore the "Give each other options" team-talk. A not-Brave player might have trouble overcoming his fear to be more Aggressive.

It would also require an "Effect gets nerfed if overused" mechanic; otherwise we'd just ask our goalkeeper to Concentrate every match. icon_smile.gif

I'd also like to see our personality as expressed in our team-talks play a bigger part in the game.

I'd like to feel like personalities other than "cheerful and encouraging" had a chance of succeeding: the perfectionist "its never good enough" persona, the "put the fear of god into them" persona, the "professor" persona (minimal emotion shown), and the "gruff, rarely praises you" persona should all be viable strategies, as long as we're consistent.

Of course, different player personalities should want different ones - but looking at real coaches and managers, those seem to be the key types that are "missing" from our current scheme.

Important to this, however: we need to be able to criticize our players after a win. I know that that doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface, but I've heard plenty of interviews with real players (multiple sports) where a critique after a sloppy win was crucial for their development.

In FM, that approach doesn't really work - so many players react negatively to criticism that its tough to dish out.

Lastly, manager personality could even feed in to player development. For example, if I prefer Determined, Aggressive play and I express that by using those team-talk options fairly frequently, my youth might develop to be more Determined and Aggressive than they would otherwise.

A different manager, who focused on Teamwork and Moving For Each Other might be rewarded with players who gradually increase their Team Work and Off the Ball, while a third who favoured Concentration and good Decisions might be rewarded in those areas.

The final area which I'd want to see improved is the feedback section.

First, I'd reserve the "Didn't Seem To Be Listening" result for players who have lost confidence in their manager as shown in a Slight or Major concern - or players who had a specific negative reaction to the specific team-talk given, as in the examples I gave five paragraphs above.

Second, I'd supplement the feedback with a few more options, to make the "Nothing specific noted" much more rare. I'm not sure what all the options should be - but maybe something to touch on how the player played as a result. For example, if a guy was on a 6 at halftime, and after my team talk, he scored two goals and raised himself to an 8 .. that's not "Nothing specific noted", that's "Played much better in 2nd half."

Finally, I'd add some e-mails from the Assistant about our team-talks, if we're consistently making the same mistake - in the current scheme, for example, "Not giving the players enough credit", maybe my Assistant would warn me about it before its become a major concern for half my squad! There are plenty of other spots, too, if my team talks are never negative, and the consequence of that is that the team is becoming complacent, my Assistant might tell me that also.

We've had the existing team-talk mechanism for three versions, now.

I think its time for an overhaul.

What do you guys think?

I'm not satisfied with the current Team Talks mechanic.

I feel like its a "Guess the right answer" mechanic, and after having a couple team-talks blow up in my face - was that 0-9 hammering really necessary to make the point? - it still feels that way in FM'08.

One of the reasons I've been unhappy is that I don't feel it addresses the sorts of things my managers would tell me before matches .. and I don't think I ever "took it wrong", no matter what my manager said.

Rarely do the options I'm presented with really express what I want to say, as a manager.

Some of the team-talks that I can give have an impact at odds with my interpretation of the team-talk - the way I imagine delivering the team-talk. That sort of ambiguity makes the impact of the team-talk feel random.

Worse, some of the talks that seem to have a fairly innocuous phrasing have very large impacts.

I'd like to see an update to this are for FM'09 or FM'10 which addresses all of those areas.

Let me outline what I think the current mechanic is:

There are five choices presented to you, from a possible list of about ten, and they directly impact three emotional variables for your players:

<LI> Pressure - you can make a player more relaxed with talks like "Enjoy the game", or make him feel more pressure with talks like "I expect a win".

<LI> Motivation - you can make a player more motivated, or you can leave them demotivated.

<LI> Morale - you can give a player's spirits a lift, or you can make him unhappy / angry with you.

The feedback often tells you this, pretty much directly: "Looked happy, seemed demotivated".

Unfortunately, it feels all too easy to "Miss" and have your team-talk backfire on you - and that's very frustrating when it happens. See, for example, Best ... game ... ever !! - a "reasonable" team-talk blew up in his face, with very negative results.

That's offset by a feeling that every now and then you "get it right" and your team storms back from 0-2 down at the half to win 4-2...

... but that has its downside when an AI manager says exactly the right thing at halftime, and you don't feel like there's any way you can counteract it.

What I would like to see is a system with a lot more gentle "positive" impact options, and a lot less "whammy" results.

I'd also like to see an area which "expands" on the talk - maybe putting it into a two-sentence form, and/or describing the likely effects of it.

The idea I had was, why not have team-talks that feed directly into players' mental attributes? To couch it in "gamey" terms, you might almost have talks that give each player a 1- or 2- point attribute boost in specific mental attributes, as a result of what you told them.

In this scheme, team-talk options might be:

<LI> Work Hard

<LI> Play together

<LI> Hold your shape

- HT: We've got to have better movement in the second half. Give each other options!

- Full (2+ goals scored): The way you guys moved for each other really paid off today.

<LI> Less Mistakes

- Pre: I want to see you guys take care of the ball today. We can't afford to make mental mistakes.

- HT: We've got to make better decisions in the second half. Mistakes are killing us.

<LI> Concentrate

<LI> Be More Aggressive

<LI> Who Wants It More?

These could be woven in amongst the existing options: we'd still want a way to praise and criticize players, of course. We need a way to relax nervous players before a big match, or get them fired up for a big performance. We'd still want a high-risk high-reward "Kick the boot at them" option at half-time and full-time, of course.

I'm not saying to do away with those - and obviously, some of these might be situational, e.g., the Determination full-time option wouldn't apply for a game we led 3-0 at halftime, so it simply wouldn't be presented.

Now, one aspect of the current complexity which works is that the same team-talk doesn't work the same on all players; I know its a bit controversial, but I'd want most of these to work for most players most of the time. The idea is that they're low-risk, low-reward options.

Still, each of these talks could have some personalities or situations that they don't work for - for example, a player in conflict with one of the other players on the pitch might react negatively to the "Play together". A player with poor Teamwork might selfishly ignore the "Give each other options" team-talk. A not-Brave player might have trouble overcoming his fear to be more Aggressive.

It would also require an "Effect gets nerfed if overused" mechanic; otherwise we'd just ask our goalkeeper to Concentrate every match. icon_smile.gif

I'd also like to see our personality as expressed in our team-talks play a bigger part in the game.

I'd like to feel like personalities other than "cheerful and encouraging" had a chance of succeeding: the perfectionist "its never good enough" persona, the "put the fear of god into them" persona, the "professor" persona (minimal emotion shown), and the "gruff, rarely praises you" persona should all be viable strategies, as long as we're consistent.

Of course, different player personalities should want different ones - but looking at real coaches and managers, those seem to be the key types that are "missing" from our current scheme.

Important to this, however: we need to be able to criticize our players after a win. I know that that doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface, but I've heard plenty of interviews with real players (multiple sports) where a critique after a sloppy win was crucial for their development.

In FM, that approach doesn't really work - so many players react negatively to criticism that its tough to dish out.

Lastly, manager personality could even feed in to player development. For example, if I prefer Determined, Aggressive play and I express that by using those team-talk options fairly frequently, my youth might develop to be more Determined and Aggressive than they would otherwise.

A different manager, who focused on Teamwork and Moving For Each Other might be rewarded with players who gradually increase their Team Work and Off the Ball, while a third who favoured Concentration and good Decisions might be rewarded in those areas.

First, I'd reserve the "Didn't Seem To Be Listening" result for players who have lost confidence in their manager as shown in a Slight or Major concern - or players who had a specific negative reaction to the specific team-talk given, as in the examples I gave five paragraphs above.

Second, I'd supplement the feedback with a few more options, to make the "Nothing specific noted" much more rare. I'm not sure what all the options should be - but maybe something to touch on how the player played as a result. For example, if a guy was on a 6 at halftime, and after my team talk, he scored two goals and raised himself to an 8 .. that's not "Nothing specific noted", that's "Played much better in 2nd half."

Finally, I'd add some e-mails from the Assistant about our team-talks, if we're consistently making the same mistake - in the current scheme, for example, "Not giving the players enough credit", maybe my Assistant would warn me about it before its become a major concern for half my squad! There are plenty of other spots, too, if my team talks are never negative, and the consequence of that is that the team is becoming complacent, my Assistant might tell me that also.

What do you guys think?

i think what they shouldn't do is make your players look like stupid *******...i mean you're 3-0 nill up at half-time, no matter what you say, they should know they have to hold their game...but no, they always manage to screw things over..

Another brilliant post for another infuriating section of the game. Have you thought about being a tester for the game? With your programming background, it seems like you'd be able to offer reasonable improvements without the programmers having to pull all their hair out with coding issues...

The basic problem with team-talks, and the pre-match media too, is the complete lack of options.

What annoys me most is the "2-0 factor" in team-talks.

You can't just encourage your team to keep going at 2-0. You can either tell them your pleased, which is like saying they've done all they need to do, or tell them not to let their performance drop, which upsets them.

In terms of the team-talk, I'd change the way it's set up.

Firstly, I'd have a "Tone" setting for the team-talk (Happy, Encourage, Satisfied, Dissatisfied, Angry).

This would constitute the "Team" aspect if you don't choose to say anything else. It would have a default setting too (Satisfied), meaning you couldn't accidentally have no team talk. It also counters the misinterpretation of what you say (although contradictory settings should produce confusion)

We'd then have a team comment setting, similar to what Amaroq has set out in his post.

Then we'd have the individual options.

Then, alongside that, we should be able to set individual comments.

I'd like the option to explicitly snub the players "Leave them to stew" or similar.

I'd also like the option to make them stay out on the pitch (I've seen this at York recently, the manager wanted the players to have to face up to the angry fans).

I'd agree with Amaroq on the feedback too, especially that we shouldn't have to always seek it. If we are really upsetting our players game after game, he should have the balls to come say so!

Rather than the current feedback screen that is player by player, I'd prefer a general comment, then any specific issues noted (e.g. "The players responded well and were fired up for the next match. However, Richard Brdoie seemed down)

I'd like to see the Team Captain come into play here. He should be able to come to us and say the players are unhappy with the way I'm talking to them.

In favour of an overhaul too.

What I would particularly like there to be is the option of telling your players the following at half-time :

Examples...

"Right lads, I know we're one up, but let's go and grab a second."

or

"Well done lads, nobody would have expected us to be winning, now let's do everything we can to hold onto the result."

An excellent post Amaroq and I couldn't agree more. At the moment team talks feel like something of a magic bullet - they'll either kill you or save your life when really they have much more subtle effects outwith of the match - in fact players and managers have reputations built on their dressing room persona.

Another couple of options I'd like to see mentioned is about asking your team to keep Discipline or Composure.

e.g.

Good Discipline

Pre-Match:They're going to make this a brawl, don't let them get to you

Half-Time:Stay on your feet more lads!

Full-time:You controlled yourselves well

Bad Discipline

Pre-Match:We need to drag them down to our level

Half-time:Hit them harder, bully them!

Full-time:Well done, you took them out of the game.

Composure/Up against it

Pre-Match:Go out and show them what you can do!

Half-time:You wouldn't be here if you hadn't earned it. Prove it to me

Full-time:Well done lads, you've done yourselves proud!

I'm thinking of Composure especially as the antidote to rather than just dismissing your team against much classier opposition than to try and actually give them some steel to them and tell them they've earned it.

As for the discipline, whilst I know some people would argue that setting your tackling does exactly the same job, I'd like to give my team the option to 'let them off the leash' or try and not get drawn in to scuffles and tit-for tat fouls.

I don't know if it's currently implemented this way, but the effect of your team-talk on performance should be relative to the players experience/influence.

What I mean is, if you inspire your captain and best player, then his example should drive on players that maybe didn't take to what you said so well.

If you upset your best player, his mood would rub off on the others, even if they were personally fine with what you said.

By the same token, if you upset your reserve right-back who is in for one match, b ut the rest of the team is fine, there should be no real effect.

realy good stuff amaroq!!

IMO, it'd be better, stuff you wrote to be part of preparation for team's next match-> basicly it coud be a new motivating feature. I'm sure real life managers don't wait till match begins, to prepare their team. what you wrote, it could also be exellant combination to whole motivating aspect for your next match. for example: you prepare your team for whole week in "give each other options" spirit and you can say to your players before match "just stick to what we said and we can win this one", or "just stick to our plan but be relaxed, pressur's off".

otherwise I would like to see effect of team talks reduced, so one team couldn't be able to make a miracle 4 goal comeback just becouse someone said something. I don't believe any "jung or freud" could have such a power, if you know what I mean. motivating is realy important aspect of any (team) sport, but team talks defenetly aren't the most important one. motivating is a process, it lasts, sometimes might take years for sucsess. coaches talk to their players on dayly basis, it's not just team talks. but as I said, the effect of motivating is important, but so are player/team quality, your tactics, form, luck...

what do you think?

icon14.gif Thanks, lads.

I particularly like Dave C's "Tone" idea - I think that would add a lot, along with other items.

In that case, the little window I'm imagining which puts your current selections into a bit more detailed English for your understanding becomes more important.

So, for example, looking back at some of my items, let's say its full-time on a match that we won 2-1, and I select the "Less Mistakes" option.

Then I select from "Tone", and I might get the following shown as the blended team talks:

Happy: Well done, lads! We made great decisions today - avoiding mistakes was key to that win!

Encourage: We made better decisions today, and avoided making crucial mistakes. Let's keep it up next week.

Satisfied: We may have won this, lads, but we've got to make better decisions and take care of the ball.

Dissatisfied: We won this, but I'm not happy with your play. I saw altogether too many mistakes. We've got to take care of the ball!

Angry: I can't believe your play! We made so many mistakes I can't even count them! You're lucky you won!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

originally posted by Amaroq:-

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always assumed this was how it worked but applied to all attributes, not just mental ones. My theory on it is that players’ visible attributes are the maximum possible as interpreted by the match engine (ignoring the random element for simplicity). This maximum is modified in the match engine at every calculation point based on:-

1. Morale

2. Condition

3. Positional rating

Then selecting different team talks affects morale (this being the reason it shown along side the team talk option) which in turn affects performance due to it acting as a modifier of attributes prior to these values being inputted into a calculation for a given match scenario. I think motivation and pressure effects are conveyed via morale using team talks. Of course there’s a good chance I’m wrong but it seems like a logical way to implement it. It also explains how team qualities can appear to get reversed after half time (The ‘I have the best team in the league yet after half time a team fighting relegation suddenly looked like Brazil 1970 while my players looked like a pub team’ scenario).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

originally posted by Amaroq:-

…team talks affecting specific attributes and personalities

…manager personality, team talks and player development

…feedback issues

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the idea of focused team talks that affect specific attributes and as you said there definitely should be limitations based on players’ natural inclinations and behaviours.

Your point about the link between team talks, manager personality and squad personality is in my opinion one area of FM that is severely lacking. I can’t as a manager mould a team in my own image. I understand not being able to have much impact on more mature players, but it would be nice if our virtual personalities impacted on how our youngsters developed rather than having to use other players as a proxy within the current tutoring system. This in itself should also be linked to how respected you are as a manager in the FM world in general, and also by specific players in your team.

I agree also with the feedback issue. It is similar to issues I have with media responses in that there seems to be no tangible link to the match engine events (red cards impact results, injuries impact performances etc.). I have often seen the commentary state how ‘Player A seems fired up’ yet when I check the feedback it says ‘Didn’t seem to be listening’. I have reached a point where I don’t even look at team talk feedback anymore as it is too infuriating.

To be honest I find it difficult to comment on team talks and their effects as for me it is difficult to spot whether or not a change in performance is down to the team talk or tactical changes by me or the AI. Also with what I posted before I am only guessing at how team talks work in the code and I could be way off the mark. All I can say is that as it stands the major problem with team talks is our interpretation of what they mean and when they should be used versus SI's interpretation of what they mean and when they should be used. But as with the confusion over tactical sliders it wouldn’t surprise me if SI felt this ambiguity was part of the gaming experience.

icon14.gif I completely agree 100%.

The team talks for me, are the icing on the cake for me in the game experience as a whole.

The experience of the game when played, seeing the labour that fellow FM gamers, that will have put in some may have put in some may have taken a microscope to their tactics, formations, others may not have been as detailed.

The problem lies in the "vagueness" or the end users interpretation to the options given. Which at times can be a right old kick in the teeth, at times, because the options do need a re-vamp.

Where as I do strongly agree on the method on how the message given is stressed,this can clearly be moral boosting in one way of stressing the answers chosen. When deciding on how your going to give the team talk.

It can be so easily (Well I'm no coder) added to the game, maybe in MF'09 or FM'10. Such as the options would be the same, but there are for example three variations on the same answer for tone or stressing the phrase/team talk that you'll give.

Such as, using one possible answer with the given variations for your seach/team talk to them at the time or your interpretation, on how its going to be delivered.

So you have your psychological effect on the team talk and your literal team talk in the same phrase. With x3 choices on the same response that be taken in different ways. Or interpretted in more ways than before, then we'll have an inkling on what were really saying.

E.G. Scenario currently its say I chose disappointed. The team are 2-0 down at 1/2 time, on a good of form of late. So I would say I'm not best pleased.

Angry disappointed

"Look here guys, I am not happy, nor are the fans either play today, or your dropped, now get out there a play the game, and stop watching them play it!!!!"

Middle of the road Disappointed

"I'm disappointed, what more can I say?"

Encourage Disappointed:

"Well, we've been playing so well looks likes lucks not going to be on our side today....sigh.

Come on lads keep up the good work, I know you'll do us all proud."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

<LI> Work Hard

<LI> Play together

<LI> Hold your shape

<LI> Less Mistakes

<LI> Concentrate

<LI> Be More Aggressive

<LI> Who Wants It More?

What do you guys think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some good ideas.

i also feel that although in the game at the moment there are different wordings they basically mean the same thing

as long as your examples:

'i want you guys to play together as a team today'

and

'we've got to play more as a team in the second half'

aren't just different wording, same difference then that's fine.

Yes I agree with less is more, but we still need to have more options, IMO.

It can be implemented, in the same way as it is now; in the same form on the drop down menu's being sub-drop down menu's, on top of what is there. The answer/option is a little more drawn out, more words, a clearer explanation to what were choosing.

Along with a mood with the sub menu's options. I wouldn't dream of having far too much.

I think SI to be fair had tried to draw a delicate balance with this great feature, may I add. Which can be a game breaker. Though I do strongly believe that they've gone to far down the less is more approach, with too much fiddly elements to the game's enviroment. Trying to please all newcomers and alike

They could lean a little more to adding a mood element to the team talks, a clearer description would nicer.

1) It'll make it much clearer on what were really doing/choosing.

2) We feel even more of an interaction, as can now see a much clearler perception of my words spoken, and can act upon them, as I now understand my actions and repercussions.

3) Newer gamers, will feel more at ease and understand the team talk and not avoid it. Or fear it. IMO.

Hell, it would be great. Bring it on I say.

On a side note, can all of the newer longer text be lost in translation, I speak only one language, now a phrase team talk spoken in my native language, in another languages some phrases may be more drawn out vocally, where in others the same phrase in that tongue is shorter..

Well that's me for now think I've said enough.

I do tend to waffle.

Brilliant set of suggestions.

Team talks, no let's be honest, the whole of the interaction side of FM is abysmal with massively limited, poorly worded options.

Although it's too late to see any of these in FM09. FM10 will probably be an entirely newly written game "to take advantage of modern technology in an ever changing business environment". So that will be full of bugs. Hopefully then, by around FM12, this should be implemented icon_biggrin.gif

Damn I'm such a cynical misanthrope.

VB

Teamtalks should also be tactical too, managers do not just motivate during that time.

When Ramos took over at Spurs players commented that his teamtalks were always about tactics, and calm whatever the performance/score, with Poyet being the motivator.

Id like the opportunity to reinforce to my players their tactical instructions- eg if theyre not doing what Im asking I want to point this out, or praise where its due.

Part of FMs problem is that many options are vague and very generalistic- lets see some precision in the game and leave us in do doubt what we are asking or putting across.

I did give that a lot of thought, George, but the consensus on forum around the time team talks were introduced was "If you want to make tactical changes at half-time, you've got the tactics screen to do that with, team talks should be something else."

I'm not so sure, myself - I remember a lot of my youth-football experiences, especially once we hit the higher levels, it was always a tactical discussion at the intermission as well.

I'd at least like for that to be a possible persona, in-game - as I said, the "Professor" approach.

I'll touch on some of the other responses later.

I really like this idea. A minor alteration I would make though, is to have the effect be +2 to a primary stat, +1 to a secondary and -1 (or -2) to an opposite stat. There could even be (and probably should be) some overlap between different options.

"Go out and enjoy yourselves" might give +2 creativity, +1 morale but -1 decisions or concentration.

"No pressure" might give +2 composure +1 flair but -2 work rate.

"Work for each other" could give +2 workrate, +1 teamwork but -2 creativity

whereas "Lets get at them" could provide +2 aggression, +1 workrate with -1 composure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

The media and teamtalk stuff looked a great addition when they were brought in, but no progress at all has been made in implementing them from new release to new release. I'd rather they weren't in the game than in the state that they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly. Nowadays I always let my assistant handle team-talks and I very rarely give any other response to media than "no comments". I'd like to see these areas improved in future versions because at the moment they are dull, repetative and you always get some very strange responses from players.

Not number one priority though. I think they should fix the current transfer system first ...

A terrific post Amaroq, as usual and some good feedback as well- I have been a consistent advocator of taking what is a good feature of the game and taking it to the next level. At the momnet team talks and media commnets are far too limited and have, in my view, far too much effect on results

Forgot to mention- isnt it good, sometimes, to have a reasonable discussion about something relevant in the game without all the usual nonsense and it disappearing off the first page in 10 minutes, lost in a sea of " when is the patch out" and " this game sucks " threads? icon14.gif

I would have to agree with what has been said and i like the proposals. At the moment it is very hit and miss.

You want to say things at HT but you simply do not have the options to get across what you want to say. Instead you have act like a robot and say the right thing to prevent your team capitulating in the second half or the team have a complete confidence crisis at FT.

I hope that this is looked into as it seemed a very good idea to implement this angle into tactics. It just simply needs more diversity. The current model is far too "simple" where it needs more complex linkage to other factors eg influence as has been mentioned.

Lets hope that something is in the pipeline.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Your point about the link between team talks, manager personality and squad personality is in my opinion one area of FM that is severely lacking. I can’t as a manager mould a team in my own image. I understand not being able to have much impact on more mature players, but it would be nice if our virtual personalities impacted on how our youngsters developed rather than having to use other players as a proxy within the current tutoring system. This in itself should also be linked to how respected you are as a manager in the FM world in general, and also by specific players in your team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's the whole point of being a motivator. managers also teach player's, they don't talk only before matches. that's why I said team talks are not enough. and there shouldn't be a "right sentence" way of motvating, like we have now, to achieve a goal our players being happy.

we should be able to turn a bunch of balanced squad into quite determined during a few years. that's what real managers do, IMO. that meens a motivating featrue should influence and change our squad personality. more consistant you are in your demandings, more sucsess you'll have. so this "team talk on weakly basis" could be a part of training and we would actualy have something to do in training system. of course more sucsess your team will have more they could change.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

The basic problem with team-talks, and the pre-match media too, is the complete lack of options.

What annoys me most is the "2-0 factor" in team-talks.

You can't just encourage your team to keep going at 2-0. You can either tell them your pleased, which is like saying they've done all they need to do, or tell them not to let their performance drop, which upsets them.

In terms of the team-talk, I'd change the way it's set up.

Firstly, I'd have a "Tone" setting for the team-talk (Happy, Encourage, Satisfied, Dissatisfied, Angry).

This would constitute the "Team" aspect if you don't choose to say anything else. It would have a default setting too (Satisfied), meaning you couldn't accidentally have no team talk. It also counters the misinterpretation of what you say (although contradictory settings should produce confusion)

We'd then have a team comment setting, similar to what Amaroq has set out in his post.

Then we'd have the individual options.

Then, alongside that, we should be able to set individual comments.

I'd like the option to explicitly snub the players "Leave them to stew" or similar.

I'd also like the option to make them stay out on the pitch (I've seen this at York recently, the manager wanted the players to have to face up to the angry fans).

I'd agree with Amaroq on the feedback too, especially that we shouldn't have to always seek it. If we are really upsetting our players game after game, he should have the balls to come say so!

Rather than the current feedback screen that is player by player, I'd prefer a general comment, then any specific issues noted (e.g. "The players responded well and were fired up for the next match. However, Richard Brdoie seemed down)

I'd like to see the Team Captain come into play here. He should be able to come to us and say the players are unhappy with the way I'm talking to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, I agree with every point in the original post and would love to see these changes made. Also kudos for the way you put your points across, not just ranting but being constructive.

I also agree about the '2-0 factor' - it sometimes makes you wish you went in just one goal up at the break because at least then you don't risk either of the two effects you mentioned.

I also thought your point on the York manager was a good one too because last weekend I was at Ebbsfleet and the Exeter manager (whose team were diabolical first half) sent his players out a good five minutes before the second half started and they then went and equalised six minutes after they break. He then went on to say post-match that getting them out early and focussing made the difference, so it is definitely something that could be worth implementing.

indeed. i think when your drawing or winning by what ever the "encourage" option should allways be there. you allways want to encourage you player to do better if you think they are capable of playing better. the "not get comlacent" option to also allways be there would be good because maybe your team are playing better than they should and u just want them to maintain that level. there shold be 7 diferent option for if your losing, drawing or winning. not 2 mention a player talk for just before you bring a sub on.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Excellent post.

Agree 100000%. Especially with the 'manager personality' idea. Let the passion that I have motivate my players? That would be a delight!

And In my teamtalks, I'd love to be able to tell my players to play for each other, take it to the opposition as a team, battle as a unit. I do it in my transfers, getting my scouts to find loyal players with good team work and determination, I should be able to continue this strategy before a match.

First of all, my apologies for digging up an old thread, and I totally agree with Amaroq's suggestions in the originalpost.

The reason for writing this post is to try to establish some comparison between tactics and team talks, as this has been bothering me since team talks were introduced.

My basic premise is that FM provides us with an amazingly complex match engine that allows us to tweak the most minute details of our tactics, but at the moment this freedom is rendered nearly moot by the over-powerful team talks.

Or to put it another way: In the past a typical FM story went like "I was down 2-0 at half-time, so I switched my passing to flanks to counteract their strong central midfield, and set my DMC to tight marking to eliminate their playmaker. I ended up winning 3-2." Nowadays, the stories seem to go more and more like "I was down 2-0 at half-time, so I gave an encouraging general half time talk, and told my underperforming star player to go out there and prove a point. In the second half he scored a hat-trick and I won 3-2." (This is of course an exaggeration, but I hope the point is clear: team talks have become extremely powerful.)

Why is this bad? Because when tactics were all that mattered, it required skill to turn games around. (Or at least it seemed like skill was needed.) But now, since there's only a few options you can choose for team talks, it doesn't take much skill to pick the right ones.

Let me try to quantify this lack of options somewhat; if don't care about the (ultimately pointless) math, feel free to skip to the end.

-----------------------

How many different half-time team talks can you give? Well, you have choice of some 6 or 7 different ones every time. In addition, you can give individual talks to 4 or 5 players. (Technically you can give an individual talk to everyone, but as Paul C has stated, if you choose more than 4 or so individual talks you won't have much time to spend with any player and the talks become ineffective.) So this gives you some 7 * 11!/(4!7!) * 7^4 different team talk possibilities, or some 5.5 million. (Here 7 is the number of different general talks, 11!/(4!7!) is the number of ways you can choose 4 players out of 11 for individual talks, and 7^4 is number ways you can choose these individual talks.) 5.5 million seems like quite a lot of options, but it really isn't as we'll see.

(Especially since most of these talk aren't really sensible: you don't tell your team that you're angry when you lead 3-0, or happy when getting killed, or...)

On the other hand how many tactics are there? First, the tactical screen has 26 different positions into which you can put players. These are SW, 3*DC, DR, DL, 3*DM, WBL, WBR, 3*MC, MR, ML, 3*AMC, AML, AMR, 3*FC, FR, FL. Into these 26 positions you need to distribute 10 outfield players. (Since every formation should have a goalie there's no freedom with the 11th player.) This can be done in 26!/(10!16!) ways, or about 5.3 million. But then there are the individual instructions: 9 sliders, with 20 clicks each. This gives 20^(9*11) or some 6.3 * 10^128 different configurations. This completely overwhelms the number of team talk options. And then there's plenty of other options to tweak: pass to, man or zonal marking, use targetman/playmaker or not, forward-backward-side arrows,... I won't try to finish the math, but the point should be clear: with team talks you have a very limited number of real options, while modifying your tactic you can do an almost unlimited number of different tweaks.

(End of math)

---------

So, the point is that in the last few version FM has steadily moved from a tactical game where you must tweak your gameplan to succeed, to an RPG-like game where you need to pick the right reply to succeed. This has in my opinion considerably dumbed down the game. (Of course tactics still matter, just not enough in my opinion compared to the talks.)

To rectify the situation, I think there are two things that need to happen:

1. The team talks should remain, but not be as effective as they are now. Amaroq's suggestions of team talks giving the players a *small* boost in certain mental attributes could be a very nice way of achieving this.

2. There should be many more options to choose, rather than just the 6 or 7 we have now. Again, Amaroq's proposals seem like a good way of achieving this.

I think implementing these two changes would go a long way to bringing tactics and team talks into a better balance.

(Apologies for the extra long post.)

Hmm while I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread, I am concerned that having too many options would seriously affect the casual gamer.

I recall when all the media/team talks and halftime bootroom sessions were introduced, I was very concerned that the game may become increasingly harder as many would struggle in finding the right thing to say. That's not to say it can't be done. However I do dislike the "2-nil syndrome" as well.

While I agree more options should be included, these should not become a giant tree one has to tackle in the game for obvious reasons...what may be a good idea is to have that as part of your pre-match buildup...

To expand on Amaroq's ideas, this would mean that prior to a big derby where the odds are tight..you could elect to choose between 8 broad mindsets before a game...for example..

I choose to tell my players to "Give each other options"..as I want to see my team move the ball around more and take up an attacking stance..And include "tone" as a variable which would mean that I could toss the boot in anger if they are playing like pansies in the first half...

Once you have chosen the mindset..you need to stick with it..So if you go on to lose the game, the Assman can tell you through the confidence module that you didn't prepare the boys well, they should have been more "aggressive" instead, which would imply that you chose the wrong mindset.

In this way we get more options, an ability to adjust tone and a feedback mechanism when the wrong choices are made.

SI very much need to focus their time on this aspect of the game, a long with media interaction, player interaction, and confidence.

As it stands all the above mentioned features are very shallow and feel tacked on as an after thought. They need vastly improving, and much more depth needs added.

Brilliant thread icon14.gif

I love the potential of this aspect of the game and am disappointed by its short-comings. Starting with Amaroq, there have been a good few highly intelligent and constructive suggestions.

I really hope SI are watching and take into account the views here, seeing if they fit - or can fit in with their philosophy for the evolution of FM, and, of course, with its progammability. icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's offset by a feeling that every now and then you "get it right" and your team storms back from 0-2 down at the half to win 4-2... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The selection of the right TT seems to be somewhat arbitrary, and a moving target as the players become de-sensitized in response to repetitive talks. Given that, I find it impossible to derive any satisfaction from "getting it right".

Also, is it reasonable for a TT to be worth 4 goals in 45 minutes, a situation I have seen with some regularity? Would any tactical change yield such a response? Probably not, since we (and the AI) can counter tactics changes. Unfortunately you cannot counter a TT in the 2nd half of a game. Its as though you, as a manager, become a mute once the team gets onto the field. Maybe there would be some value in being able to shout instructions/admonitions during the game; a feature I'm sure I've seen in at least one other product (which doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea!)

Archived