Is it time...

Is it time in your oppinion that FM introduces the build option? In other words do you think you should be allowed to control Stadium expansion, building shops, parking, takeaways etc etc in order to try and maximise profit makeing! I bileave it is time as it keeps the game intresting even if you have won the league time and time again! Finances generally go down during the season (with my everton team anyway) Even though we're prem,european and league cup champs i start with around 40mill in the bank and by the end of the season i'll b hitting 0 until the bonuses and prize money rolls in! I'm way under budget as i work on buying young for cheap and selling the old to provide that money. I hardly ever spend money i don't earn by selling!

Is it time in your oppinion that FM introduces the build option? In other words do you think you should be allowed to control Stadium expansion, building shops, parking, takeaways etc etc in order to try and maximise profit makeing!

This has been brought up many times and the answer is always the same.....NO! Its no for one simple reason and that is that it is normally not the responsibility of the manager to deal with these things but the chairman and the board of directors. While a longterm highly respected manager might get to express an opinion on things at the end of the day its still a board decision alone. Can you honestly name any real life manager who had any real say on things like moving to a new stadium or expansion in other areas? I can only think of one current manager in the English Premieship thats been allowed to express an opinion on this and that was Arsene Wenger when arsenal relocated to the Emerates Stadium and I am not even 100% about that but I am sure I either read it or it was mentioned on something like Football Focus.

Surely it shouldn't be break even every season if you're becoming more successful though

Well looking at the most succesful club in England in recent times, Man Utd haven't been able to break even for the last few years, despite mucho success, large gates, big TV money and merchandising. I know it's 120% the Glazers' fault, but even most big clubs find it very hard to be profitable without a seriously strong youth set-up (I'm talking Barcelona or Ajax level here). Frankly finances are probably too soft in the game.

...Arsene Wenger when arsenal relocated to the Emerates Stadium...

I believe his input was as little as suggesting that the dressing rooms were curved, as opposed to square - so that he could see everyone clearly!

To be honest you are probably doing well to be breaking even every season (although it is too easy to make money on FM), IRL most clubs run to a loss these days.

As for your idea, probably more for Fifa Manager than Football Manager, as those sort of decisions are ones the CEO, Chairman and Owners would decide upon, not the manager.

I would love to have the ability to build and customise my own stadium (would enhance the 3D experience greatly, surely).

The good news is that it's a game and we don't have to just stick to managerial roles - yes the argument "managers don't do that" is always brought up but so is the argument "managers don't always man-manage training and scouting" or "yes but this is a game and doesn't need to be fully realistic - like unticking attribute masking".

Personally I see a feature allowing the player to design a whole new 3D stadium for your club as being a fairly popular feature. Perhaps you could forfeit some or all of your transfer budget to plough into stadium development. Maybe if you are a long-time manager you get a large say in things financially and there's a good chance the board will accept your request as you clearly know the club very well.

I'm slightly less sure about the merchandising idea though - it seems very separate from things and is almost purely a financial thing, unlike a stadium that you will experience on a match-day and generates substantial income for your club.

No. The stadium isn't the managers responsiblity.

That said, I'd like a bit more common sense in regards to new stadiums and expansions. I was in prime position for a new stadium in my Liverpool game for most of my time there(2021-2029), incredibly wealthy(close to a billion at one point), packing out anfield, amazingly successful. Yet they wouldn't do it, till two years after I left. Any chairman with any sense would have done it in my tenure, but instead they screwed themselves out of a whole lot of profit.

I agree, building and customizing your own stadium could be fun if implemented right. Sure, RL managers don't do it but they don't negotiate contracts and wages either and that's one of the most fun parts of the game for many people.

• Administrators

As a fair few people have said, what we have is a Football Manager game, not a 'Chairman' type game, so this is very unlikely to happen.

Saying that if you do like that aspect of a game I suggest you check out Football Manager Live where you can build a stadium to your hearts content! :)

As a fair few people have said, what we have is a Football Manager game, not a 'Chairman' type game, so this is very unlikely to happen.

Saying that if you do like that aspect of a game I suggest you check out Football Manager Live where you can build a stadium to your hearts content! :)

Not that i don't like it i'm just throwing ideas out there. Lol. Myself i think something new needs to attract people to the game year after year rather than just player updates and minor gameplay changes

Is it time in your oppinion that FM introduces the build option? In other words do you think you should be allowed to control Stadium expansion, building shops, parking, takeaways etc etc in order to try and maximise profit makeing!

I believe the game you're looking for is Rollercoaster Tycoon, a game that will fulfil all your price adjusting dreams.

As soon as you introduce something like the option to design/build your own stadiums, you introduce all sorts of problems.

For example, if you introduce it initially, with a set number of design selections along the lines of FIFA Soccer Manager (the one with Bobby Robson on the box), it's inevitable that people would then want more designs available. Where would it stop? Sadly for that game, building stadiums was about the best part of what was really a poor management game.

What if some system like Premier Manager, or Ultimate Soccer Manager was introduced, with not only control over stadiums, but shops, advertising boards, car parking, etc? In reality, they're nothing more than a gimmick that doesn't really add anything to the meat of the game, which is managing your football team, not being the board of directors or club owners.

Such games have come and they have gone. There's a reason why and that's also why the Championship Manager and then Football Manager series are the most popular games of their genre. I just don't think integrating something like stadium design would work for FM. I also think it would be a "feature" that would rarely be used by most players, once the novelty had worn off.

Is it time in your oppinion that FM introduces the build option? In other words do you think you should be allowed to control Stadium expansion, building shops, parking, takeaways etc etc in order to try and maximise profit makeing! I bileave it is time as it keeps the game intresting even if you have won the league time and time again! Finances generally go down during the season (with my everton team anyway) Even though we're prem,european and league cup champs i start with around 40mill in the bank and by the end of the season i'll b hitting 0 until the bonuses and prize money rolls in! I'm way under budget as i work on buying young for cheap and selling the old to provide that money. I hardly ever spend money i don't earn by selling!

No, never. If this ever happens i'll stop playing. You should go and play FIFA Manager if you like this sort of stuff.

No. Same reason as everyone else, its not the managers job.

Plenty of things we already can do in the game are not the manager's job either to be fair. That fact alone should not be a reason to immediately dismiss a suggestion IMO. Not saying it would work or fit into the FM style of play but perhaps we should be a bit more open minded and not forget it's still a game after all.

Plenty of things we already can do in the game are not the manager's job either to be fair. That fact alone should not be a reason to immediately dismiss a suggestion IMO. Not saying it would work or fit into the FM style of play but perhaps we should be a bit more open minded and not forget it's still a game after all.

What exactly is in the game which is not the Managers job? Or to put it a better way, what is in the game which is not the Managers job, which is not essential to the gameplay?

I can't think of anything.

• Administrators
What exactly is in the game which is not the Managers job? Or to put it a better way, what is in the game which is not the Managers job, which is not essential to the gameplay?

There have been plenty of debate on the forums - particularly with respect to Directors of Football, that leaving the signing of players to the Manager is not very realistic, at least when managing in some countries.

And then there are certain board room requests too that could be questioned as not being the 'Managers job', for example requesting stadium expansions and improving facilities. Control over scouting too - in some countries the manager is more or less referred to as a Head Coach rather than a manager, such as the change in the Manager's role has evolved over the last few decades.

It is something that you could well imagine SAF or Wenger perhaps having some input, but then they have earnt it. Other managers wouldn't, however. The game does already reflect this in a way though.

I'm sure, thinking hard enough, you could go on. At the end of the day, Football Manager is a game, based on being the manager which we can, almost certainly say that having ourselves build stadiums as Managers for our clubs being not a popular suggestion or unlikely to be included. There are things though, having played FML that I do like, and we are already seeing that FML can and does benefit FM well in some areas (such as the ME).

There have been plenty of debate on the forums - particularly with respect to Directors of Football, that leaving the signing of players to the Manager is not very realistic, at least when managing in some countries.

And then there are certain board room requests too that could be questioned as not being the 'Managers job', for example requesting stadium expansions and improving facilities. Control over scouting too - in some countries the manager is more or less referred to as a Head Coach rather than a manager, such as the change in the Manager's role has evolved over the last few decades.

It is something that you could well imagine SAF or Wenger perhaps having some input, but then they have earnt it. Other managers wouldn't, however. The game does already reflect this in a way though.

I'm sure, thinking hard enough, you could go on. At the end of the day, Football Manager is a game, based on being the manager which we can, almost certainly say that having ourselves build stadiums as Managers for our clubs being not a popular suggestion or unlikely to be included. There are things though, having played FML that I do like, and we are already seeing that FML can and does benefit FM well in some areas (such as the ME).

You have misunderstood what I said.

You as the manager signing players is essential to gameplay. How many people whould buy the game if some AI controlled D.O.F controlled all of the transfers.

Also scouting is essential to the gameplay.

The only valid point there which are included with the game that a manager has no control over IRL is some of the board requests as you mention.

Quite a few little things like deciding player bonuses, selling clauses or even changing board expectations. I'm against gimmick features that add nothing to the gameplay as well, just saying just because something isn't done by a manager IRL doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea.

Kind of like before 3D was introduced, whenever someone dared to suggest it should be, people would mostly reply with "go and play FIFA manager" and "no, that's not what FM is about".

Quite a few little things like deciding player bonuses, selling clauses or even changing board expectations. I'm against gimmick features that add nothing to the gameplay as well, just saying just because something isn't done by a manager IRL doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea.

Kind of like before 3D was introduced, whenever someone dared to suggest it should be, people would mostly reply with "go and play FIFA manager" and "no, that's not what FM is about".

Its not what FM's about still to this day. The 3d is bobbins and absolutely destroys any 'suspension of disbelief'. But thats for another thread I guess.

As for your point about gimmick features, IMHO, stadium building is the defining example of a gimmick.

Yeah it's a gimmick but it's a real sort of reward - designing your own stadium after you've managed to assemble enough credit with the board to have a significant amount of input into building a new stadium. The message doesn't even have to explicitly say "Would you like to design the stadium?" - it could just be a button on the message. For all intents and purposes the game sees the stadium as some black box with a capacity and figures for things like corporate facilities and pitch size, yet having a custom stadium is a nice personal touch or reward, in the knowledge that you are playing in your own designed stadium.

3D after all is going to be further developed - you may eventually see more parts of your stadium from different camera angles, and if it all looks like Generic Stadium B then it's all going to be rather boring.

I don't know about everyone here but I'm sure we somewhat become attached to the clubs we manage in the sense that we kind of know what goes on throughout the entire club - which youngsters are promising, the long-term transition of your ancient right-back into your naive-yet-talented right-winger-converted-right-back, the knowledge your best scout is retiring soon... And so on. Essentially it feels like "your club" - you do the most work in your club, so in some ways the other elements should be yours too.

Even small options like seat colours, seat messages, banner colours, how big press boxes are, whether there is a screen behind the net, the distance between the pitch and seats, how many tiers... All affect how the game looks and could arguably be a gaming issue.

As for all those who say they won't buy the game if this was included: Come off it; it will be an option if anything. The number of times this gets requested suggests there is at least a reasonable proportion of fans who would like this feature. And if you don't want to design a stadium just don't hit the button - it may not even be an explicit instruction.

i think its a bit of a pointless thread. This gets raised about 40 times a year on this forum and its always the same. FIFA Manager is the best example of letting you customise all this stuff. They concentrate on developing all that stuff which obviously leaves less time to develop the managment side of it. I doubt you will ever see FIFA Manager out sell any of the other games because the gameplay is rubbish, but you get to watch the rubbish game play in the pretty stadium that you can sit back and say "yes, im glad I chose blue seats"

definite No from me.

lets face it - how many actual new club stadiums have been built in the past 10 years - very few.

By introducing this option the realism goes as most managers will start building their own stadiums.

x42bn6: you make some valid and reasonable points. However these gimmicks should not be put in, whether optional or not, if they are to the detriment of the improvement of other crucial areas.

If not?

If games only focused on improving existing areas, games would get nowhere. At some point new features will inevitably be included. New features may open up doors never thought of before, and helps keep the series "fresh".

I just feel this is one way of growing the market as seen by the number of times this gets requested.

i think its a bit of a pointless thread. This gets raised about 40 times a year on this forum and its always the same. FIFA Manager is the best example of letting you customise all this stuff. They concentrate on developing all that stuff which obviously leaves less time to develop the managment side of it. I doubt you will ever see FIFA Manager out sell any of the other games because the gameplay is rubbish, but you get to watch the rubbish game play in the pretty stadium that you can sit back and say "yes, im glad I chose blue seats"

FIFA Manager has other large flaws which makes these things inappropriate but, Football Manager is much closer to a polished product - why wouldn't SI at least consider adding new features?

It's a bit like saying Microsoft shouldn't build this piece of software because some rubbish company can't build it properly. It should be the other way round!

definite No from me.

lets face it - how many actual new club stadiums have been built in the past 10 years - very few.

By introducing this option the realism goes as most managers will start building their own stadiums.

Not just building new stadia, but expanding and improving existing stadia too (as said in the OP) - which happens a lot more frequently.

Does that mean that we won't be getting Director of Football mode soon?

EDIT: IMO Fifa Manager does a great job with everything except actual football. If only SI could incorporate those features, and not granting manager ability to build facilities and other stuff, but it would be awesome just to have it.

This is Football Manager not Sims Tycoon

If not?

If games only focused on improving existing areas, games would get nowhere. At some point new features will inevitably be included. New features may open up doors never thought of before, and helps keep the series "fresh".

I just feel this is one way of growing the market as seen by the number of times this gets requested.

I believe he was making the point that introducing such features that are merely there for aesthetics would take time away from developing new gameplay features.

This is Football Manager not Sims Tycoon

can you all stop with those same dumb responses? there's no other solid game where you can actually be a chairman or anything like that. And it's sad. Just liek there are no great playing career simulators. And those type of games are definitely the most fun ones, just try Inside The Park Baseball, it's great game with great potential and extra fun.

Archived