Have you purposefully ever tried to ruin a club?

I recall in my youth playing as Chelsea on FM 2005. My objective; to ruin Chelsea. I sold off all their big stars and made bids of between £15-£40 Million for players from League Two who were aged over 36. Inevitably I would get sacked, but would simply add a new manager. I managed to get them relegated to League One before I grew bored. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this in FM 2010.

Nope, but I have wondered what happens if you take the England job then on the eve of your first game call up a load of BSP/BSS/BSN players. Do the F.A. realise you're on a wind up and boot you straight away?

Nope, but I have wondered what happens if you take the England job then on the eve of your first game call up a load of BSP/BSS/BSN players. Do the F.A. realise you're on a wind up and boot you straight away?

No idea, but it would be funny to be Scotland manager, qualify for the world cup and then call up a load of Highland league players to the squad. But this is obviously a no-goer, I mean can you imagine Scotland qualifying??

No idea, but it would be funny to be Scotland manager, qualify for the world cup and then call up a load of Highland league players to the squad. But this is obviously a no-goer, I mean can you imagine Scotland qualifying??

Well this is FM we're talking about. Leave Scottish leagues running and somehow not only do Scotland usually qualify for Euro 2012, they inexplicably go on to do well at WC 2014 and produce heaps of top class regens. This is one of the most bizarre and annoying problems with long-term FM games in my opinion, league reputations don't change, but if you have the league active then even comedy nations like Scotland, who may have produced only a handful of top class players in their entire history, and nothing remotely close in recent times, go on to ludicrously over-achieve and spawn talent all over the shop. I mean wtf next? Arsenal producing decent English regens?

Well this is FM we're talking about. Leave Scottish leagues running and somehow not only do Scotland usually qualify for Euro 2012, they inexplicably go on to do well at WC 2014 and produce heaps of top class regens. This is one of the most bizarre and annoying problems with long-term FM games in my opinion, league reputations don't change, but if you have the league active then even comedy nations like Scotland, who may have produced only a handful of top class players in their entire history, and nothing remotely close in recent times, go on to ludicrously over-achieve and spawn talent all over the shop. I mean wtf next? Arsenal producing decent English regens?

Five years ago, would you have anticipated that Wales would have produced some of the best young prospects in European football?

Yes I have ruined ManUre loads of times! Not using my name, I usually manage Rotherham, but take over Man Utd as well, sell all their best players and buy absolute garbage for millions. Then quit and watch them sink!

Five years ago, would you have anticipated that Wales would have produced some of the best young prospects in European football?

Slight exaggeration mate. They have four or five good youngsters, and Craig Bellamy. They certainly won't do well at a tournament(if they ever get to one), and as usual, will struggle to qualify for the next one. And, I dare say, the one after that too.

Slight exaggeration mate. They have four or five good youngsters, and Craig Bellamy. They certainly won't do well at a tournament(if they ever get to one), and as usual, will struggle to qualify for the next one. And, I dare say, the one after that too.

Are you sure about that? I am a South Korean and I think their team is at least as good (definitely a lot better technically) than the South Korean team in 2002... and they will be even better when guys like Ramsey, Bale, Collison get a bit older.

My point was not necessarily that Wales will do well in a major tournament in the near future, although that wouldn't surprise me. My point is that Scotland suddenly producing good regens isn't something that you can dismiss out of hand as being a bug. Could it be a bug? Sure, but not necessarily.

Also, I don't think having George Burley as a manager helped Scotland at all. Does anyone argue that England are a bad national team because they didn't qualify for EURO 2008? I don't think it's out of the question that they could have qualified for a recent major tournament if they'd had the right manager and had results go their way. Can you name a single player in Slovenia's national team? Guess what, they're in the World Cup.

Are you sure about that? I am a South Korean and I think their team is at least as good (definitely a lot better technically) than the South Korean team in 2002... and they will be even better when guys like Ramsey, Bale, Collison get a bit older.

My point was not necessarily that Wales will do well in a major tournament in the near future, although that wouldn't surprise me. My point is that Scotland suddenly producing good regens isn't something that you can dismiss out of hand as being a bug. Could it be a bug? Sure, but not necessarily.

Also, I don't think having George Burley as a manager helped Scotland at all. Does anyone argue that England are a bad national team because they didn't qualify for EURO 2008? I don't think it's out of the question that they could have qualified for a recent major tournament if they'd had the right manager and had results go their way. Can you name a single player in Slovenia's national team? Guess what, they're in the World Cup.

Ramsey, Bale and Collison all have the ability to go on and become regulars for a Champions league team. Ramsey is the best of the few, and obviously plays some already for Arsenal now.

I really like Collison, but he could just end up being an average Premiership player. Bale is another I have always rated. However, his career took a backward step, but he has been playing regularly of late, and has been impressive.

I can't ever see any of them being world class though, and certainly none of the rest.

I do agree though, this is not a bug. Of course there is always a possibility that Scotland, or Wales, or many other countries could in the future have really good sides. We're not talking about San Marino getting loads of amazing regens here :)

Oh, and by the way, I am actually a big fan of Eastern European football (even though I am English), and play a fantasy football game that relies on knowing lots about players, so I take a keen interest in youth players from across the globe, as when they develop in real-life, they get better on the game. Hence signing youngsters for peanuts and watching them grow is a major part of the game.

So, yes, I could name lots of Slovenian players :p

Also, a good manager goes without saying, but unfortunately for Scotland and Wales, they rarely get it right, ususally due to finances. For instance, I don't think either John Toshack, nor Craig Levein will ever get their team to qualify for a major tournament.

My point wasn't about the relative strengths of the Scottish or Welsh national sides of 4 years from now in comparison to their real-life counterparts, or even the chances of Scotland suddenly producing a constant stream of world class players as unlikely as that is. I was getting at the fact that if you run the Scottish leagues the national side vastly over-achieves because the country produces an unrealistic (in terms of what it currently produces and has for decades) number of top but maybe not quite world class regens. If you don't run the leagues this tends to happen still, but not to such a degree as not as many talented youngsters are produced.

I am a Scot, I live in Scotland, and I watch a bit of Scottish football but I will admit I only pay passing attention to the inner workings of most of our club sides. I can tell you though, that the complete and utter turn around in our national teams fortunes to the point where it achieves far more than it ever has historically, the sudden explosion of production of talent comparable to that anywhere in the world, and to maintain that all indefinately which occurs in my FM games is just simply not going to happen, in fact, I suspect real life Scottish football is about to slip even further into the mire before it even stops decaying year on year.

We may still produce the odd gem here and there, just as we do currently, but with regard to FM I expect to see Brazil, Italy, Germany, and even Holland and Argentina stay competitive if not the dominant nations at major tournaments for a long time, regardless of whether I run Scottish leagues or not, I certainly don't think it's anything like remotely realistic to see Scotland producing better talent, AND more of it than the Netherlands, just because I choose not to run Dutch leagues. Considering the Dutch leagues have been churning out diamonds in the rough or players who can then go on to play at the very highest levels for decades and in that time we've produced litterally a handful, it's quite laughable.

My point wasn't about the relative strengths of the Scottish or Welsh national sides of 4 years from now in comparison to their real-life counterparts, or even the chances of Scotland suddenly producing a constant stream of world class players as unlikely as that is. I was getting at the fact that if you run the Scottish leagues the national side vastly over-achieves because the country produces an unrealistic (in terms of what it currently produces and has for decades) number of top but maybe not quite world class regens. If you don't run the leagues this tends to happen still, but not to such a degree as not as many talented youngsters are produced.

I am a Scot, I live in Scotland, and I watch a bit of Scottish football but I will admit I only pay passing attention to the inner workings of most of our club sides. I can tell you though, that the complete and utter turn around in our national teams fortunes to the point where it achieves far more than it ever has historically, the sudden explosion of production of talent comparable to that anywhere in the world, and to maintain that all indefinately which occurs in my FM games is just simply not going to happen, in fact, I suspect real life Scottish football is about to slip even further into the mire before it even stops decaying year on year.

We may still produce the odd gem here and there, just as we do currently, but with regard to FM I expect to see Brazil, Italy, Germany, and even Holland and Argentina stay competitive if not the dominant nations at major tournaments for a long time, regardless of whether I run Scottish leagues or not, I certainly don't think it's anything like remotely realistic to see Scotland producing better talent, AND more of it than the Netherlands, just because I choose not to run Dutch leagues. Considering the Dutch leagues have been churning out diamonds in the rough or players who can then go on to play at the very highest levels for decades and in that time we've produced litterally a handful, it's quite laughable.

I can agree with all of that, especially the highlighted bit.

First of all your crack as Scotland being a "comedy" nation is stupid and second, Arsenal, ever heard of Wilshere?

. I was getting at the fact that if you run the Scottish leagues the national side vastly over-achieves because the country produces an unrealistic (in terms of what it currently produces and has for decades).

I take some offence to this actually. While i agree with you that the Scottish league is currently very poor and will only continue to get poorer until there is a complete overhauls of the whole system. back in the eighties and nineties we produced more than our fair share of quality players. most top class sides back then had a few Scots in them.

I get that you are saying that in game if Scotland is an active league they produce vast qauntities of superstars. what i take offence to is the bashing of Scottish talent that has been produced for more than a few decades it is only recently we have struggled to produce qaulity players. Even then the team still managed to beat a Strong French team and came pretty close to beating an even stronger Italian team.

That's all still far removed from what happens in FM. A couple of unlikely victories over a less than spectacular French side doesn't equate to qualifying for major finals at a canter, and then going on to surpass anything we've achieved historically by regularly appearing in the second phase and QF's. I agree we produced decent players up to the 80's, but I'd argue there was a serious and ongoing decline in that starting from the nineties, so I'd stand by the claim we've not produced in decades. Regards the "comedy" crack, it's a tongue in cheek attempt at self-depreciation, I'm now seeing why Scots are regarded as having an inferiority complex and a massive chip on the shoulder when people take offence at insignificant jibes.

Regarding Lansbury and Wilshere: I've heard of both, can't say I'd regard either as having had a successful career yet, and naming two English prospects at Arsenal doesn't exactly excuse the fact that that particular club hasn't produced any English talent in years, perhaps excepting David Bentley, and even then he had to leave the club to actually play football.

I avoid the few clubs I don't want to end up at. I'm far too professional to deliberately do badly, even if on occasion I get a bit lax and have times when things start off badly and wish for things to continue so I'd end up being liberated and going elsewhere. I almost always end up being glad at not doing that given how things often pick up and lead to success, which is one of the reasons why I don't do the obvious thing and resign (as well as that creating a precident and risk of getting resignation happy at the slightest thing)

Haven't tried it in FM10 but I did try it in FM08.

Before I got around to installing FM10 I decided that my 34 season, FM08 save game, had run it's course. Out of interest I downloaded FM Modifier to see what I could do with it.

As Southampton had been going through financial troubles a while back, I picked on them. I made them massively in debt, messed up the wages, transfer money etc, in an attempt to put them out of business.

I tried this 6 or seven times and never managed it. Most times it followed this scenario:

1) Club info says in debt

2) Club went bankrupt and suffered points deduction

3) Club went through boardroom takeover

4) All debts wiped off and club back to normal with small amount of cash for operating.

At first I just made them about £50mil in debt. For this one the players were willing to move on to help reduce the debt. I think the club just had a takeover and all was sorted without administration. After this I progressively increased the debt up to the point of around £1bil. Never once did the club fold.

I'm quite happy for this to be the case, it looks like even Portsmouth will get turned around. For some reason it appears that football clubs are bullet proof from going out of business. Why bother to program it into the game when it doesn't happen IRL.

*Edit* At no point did I manage Southampton or do anything else to them, other than the inital FM Modifier. I was managing Stalybridge whilst all of this was going on, as I didn't want to affect the outcome.

Ironic, considering it's difficult in real life to keep your job at Chelsea even if you're doing relatively well. Still want to know if they had beaten Manure in the Champo League Final would Avram Grant only have received a final written warning? :)

i did ruin chelsea in fm08. used fmrte. put them n high debt, sold all their players as it became easy to do so with the debt and got them relegated from the premier league giving them -40 points. every season they would start with negative points and turned to club into ameture. got them all the way down to blue square premier. would have carried on but didnt have bsp selected as active league. played a rubbish formation that would make them loose 5-0 or more every game. got sacked and added a new manager and continued. i guess roman watshisname didnt know wat hit him lol

all that hate from a gunner fan..

After losing some data on one of my save's I took on a little experiment of my own (without using the editor)

I took over the top 6 of the Premier League in 2013/14 (Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves & Everton) and worked through from the U-18's to the First Team offering them all Key Player status and maximum wages and the top sign on fee, tis a bit of a long process but the save game had upset me!!

They all survived until mid-November when Spurs and Wolves went into administration followed by Chelsea in December and Liverpool in January. All had a bit of a fire sale and the administrators let a lot of the players go (generally squad players)

Man City survived but finished in 15th and sacked Capello and then caretaker Pat Rice. The finances say Insecure and the wage bill is nearly a million over but they have around 5 gift loans

Spurs and Wolves are the most crippled, they both went down and have CVA repayments when they make profit of nearly a £650k each a month!!

Everton are the only club not to have exited administration before the close of the season. They finished 8th as they maintained the first team squad though have no reserve talent left.

Liverpool finished 12th and sacked Hans Backe before appointing 'Arry

Chelsea are about to be sold to another Director but won't clear the debt.

Liverpool still have 'loves the club'

Wolves are in talks with a fans trust

Spurs are appointing an internal Chairman

Everton are happy

City are happy!

Got to admire these folk who are constantly using the term "manURE".

If that is your way of trying to eradicate a century of history ( and global success ) in order to compensate for your own teams inability to have success then I say continue the name calling = more than worth decades of success:

Arsenal = 5 years + counting

Chelsea = FA Cup + Charity Shield +????????? ( No Champions League AND no premier league since Mourinho )

Liverpool = 19 Years being also rans - ( will edit to 20 "next year"

Man City = Havent even got the cabinet anymore, never mind it being empty

Tottenham = Millions + Millions for .....5th place???

Aston Villa = Nice Teams dont win trophies

Everton = £100 million less spent than spurs and still rival 5th place

West Ham = 80k per week for Ljungberg et al - nice cup final - no trophies

Newcastle = "Big team" - If only trophies were awarded for bad buys

Leeds = nice win restoring value in the fa cup - Cant win the johnstones paint trophy never mind any significant trophy

Man Utd =

League

Premier League:[95] 11

1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

First Division:[95] 7

1907–08, 1910–11, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1964–65, 1966–67

Second Division:[95] 2

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

FA Cup: 11

1908–09, 1947–48, 1962–63, 1976–77, 1982–83, 1984–85, 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

League Cup: 3

1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09

FA Charity/Community Shield: 17 (13 outright, 4 shared)

1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1965*, 1967*, 1977*, 1983, 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008 (* joint holders)

European

European Cup/UEFA Champions League: 3

1967–68, 1998–99, 2007–08

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1

1990–91

UEFA Super Cup: 1

Worldwide

Intercontinental Cup: 1

FIFA Club World Cup: 1

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

League and FA Cup: 3

1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99 (as part of The Treble)

League and League Cup: 1

2008–09

European Double (League and European Cup): 2

1998–99 (as part of The Treble), 2007–08

"The Treble" (League, FA Cup and European Cup): 1

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

Some other stuff

Got to laugh at people who get riled by it. And it's not "constant", I'm so disinterested in that particular club I barely ever talk about them.

In the FM World, at least in my FM10 saves experience, Man Utd will look back at that list with gushy eyes as they flounder in midtable under Mick McCarthy (I hope 10.3 fixes that!!) for eternity until they are gloriously taken over by Henning Berg and get stuck in a yearly battle for 10th

If that is your way of trying to eradicate a century of history ( and global success ) in order to compensate for your own teams inability to have success then I say continue the name calling = more than worth decades of success:

Chelsea = FA Cup + Charity Shield +????????? ( No Champions League AND no premier league since Mourinho )

Leeds = nice win restoring value in the fa cup - Cant win the johnstones paint trophy never mind any significant trophy

Man Utd =

League

1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

1908–09, 1947–48, 1962–63, 1976–77, 1982–83, 1984–85, 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1965*, 1967*, 1977*, 1983, 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008 (* joint holders)

European

1990–91

Worldwide

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

2008–09

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

you are as bad as the thing you moan about. you must respect the value of others clubs, same as they should respect the value of yours. your trophy is meaningless without your rivals and their large presence to give it meaning. some of those teams have been desperately unlucky in recent years, it is interesting that you refer to liverpool being "also rans" as opposed to their superb champions league successes etc - if you want to make a point, try doing it with some class

blah

blah

blah

blah

blah

Love it!!!!!

People use terms like that to get under the skin of those fans who are easily annoyed, whilst the comment about 'your own teams inability....' relies on the other person not following a 'glory-boy' club like yourself or classing success in relation to the size of their club (ie, winning promotion from a lower league/ winning a cup)

"17 Charity Shields (4 Shared)"...if you're counting those I'm counting the Joan Gamper Trophy City won this season against Barcelona, which would mean you've been waiting far longer for silverware than us (literally weeks longer, months even if you didn't win charity shield this year, can't remember tbh)

Wouldn't it be easier to just say you're a United fan, course fans of lesser clubs are jealous... goes with the territory. Having to justify it just makes you a bit of a target for ridicule, and rightly so.

"17 Charity Shields (4 Shared)"...if you're counting those I'm counting the Joan Gamper Trophy City won this season against Barcelona, which would mean you've been waiting far longer for silverware than us (literally weeks longer, months even if you didn't win charity shield this year, can't remember tbh)

Wouldn't it be easier to just say you're a United fan, course fans of lesser clubs are jealous... goes with the territory. Having to justify it just makes you a bit of a target for ridicule, and rightly so.

......plus it shows he's an armchair fan who has plenty of time to 'statto' up on all clubs trophies.

Man Utd =

League

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

European

1990–91

Worldwide

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

2008–09

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

Riveting tale, chap!

I mean wtf next? Arsenal producing decent English regens?

Arsenal, under Arsene Wenger, have been criticised in the past for not producing English talent but eight of the starting line-up that beat Liverpool in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup last season were English.

From an article by Ian Dennis (BBC) regarding the new rules for player registration in the EPL next season: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8530590.stm

and long may it last;)

Man Utd =

League

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

European

1990–91

Worldwide

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

2008–09

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

I think there's a Sheep of the Year Award lying around here somewhere, let me go find it for you...

Never on FM10 but on one of the first last few CM games I reducted Man uniteds status or some other status to do with reputation down to 1 and they got relegated every season with every player leaving and nobody wanting to join them but the worst of the worst, it was fun, until i realised they were my only challenge, so i had to change it back and start a new game haha

Man Utd =

League

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

European

1990–91

Worldwide

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

2008–09

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

You sir, are a jackass.

Yes I have ruined ManUre loads of times! Not using my name, I usually manage Rotherham, but take over Man Utd as well, sell all their best players and buy absolute garbage for millions. Then quit and watch them sink!

I thought it was just me being childish but i do the same..administration and relegation soon follow :) lol

Did it with Liverpool once, to see what happened, they went down to League One. But then started getting out of debt etc etc. So I did it again. Sadly, I got the sack from my team and out of fury stopped the game. So I aint really sure what happened next :)

It's pointless, it's stupid, but it amused me.

On a really old version of the game, cm something but cant remember what I purposely added a manager taking charge of Real Madrid and released virtually all their first team on frees. This I did because they sacked me after coming second. The funny thing was the following season started and they were rock bottom having no goalkeeper and playing a midfielder upfront. For some reason they never bought a goalie until January and were some 20 something points behind everyone else. Felt so good after having been sacked. :)

1st 11

Handanovic (Udinese)

Cesar (Grenoble)

Suler (Gent)

Jokic (Sochaux - loan Chievo)

Becko (Koln)

Koren (WBA)

Radosavljevic (larissa)

Kirm (Wisla)

Birsa (Auxerre)

Novakovic (Koln)

Dedic (Bochum)

I have never tried to ruin some club..should be a good game if i try it once. Not yet sure who to start with: Inter Milan or Liverpool?

Man Utd =

League

1935–36, 1974–75

Cups

European

1990–91

Worldwide

Doubles and Trebles

Doubles:

2008–09

1998–99

Love it!!!!!

How come you didnt put liverpools history down? They ARE more succesful than you :S

Archived