How are some people so good on fm??

...this has bugged me for the last 3 or 4 seasons now on Football Manager!

I have always considered myself a decent manager, but just lately i cant do much right.

Whenever i start a season i always end up doing rubbish.

If im Man Utd, Chelsea, Barcelona or Real Madrid i cant win the league.

Not winning is something which really infuriates me!

However, my latest save saw me get Oxford Utd promoted in 2 consecutive seasons to League 1.

This for me is quite an achievement, when fulham came calling how could i refuse such an offer!

Sure enough i went to fulham and they had some pretty decent new players there

Milevskyi in particular! WOW, what a striker.

After finishing the rest of the that season, i signed some pretty awesome players and thought i had a team good enough for europe.

But i just couldnt, finish higher than 11th.

After finishing, 14th, 12th and 11th i am now trying to figure out where i am going wrong.

Please could someone help me, give me some tips.

Tactics i try to think through for everygame

what tactics do you play?

what tactics do you play against the bigger sides?

I love a challenge but when i cant do anything right i lose patience and end up going back to the editor.

my latest save ^^^ i kept it together and done well, but as i get higher up. tactics seem to become impossible to master

I think many factors come in-play when it comes to being successful in Football Manager -

• Trial and error with tactics
  • Success in the transfer market
  • Good interaction with players
  • Sticking with it!

These are just a few things I've found that will help you become successful, but of course luck will sometimes come into play. ;)

OP, perhaps your over comlicating? I always try and keep tactics simple, and generally it works. I have the odd game where i need to tweak individual player instructions or change formation through injuries or suspension. I always buy players to suit my formation, rather than buying players and changing my approach to fit them.

OP, perhaps your over comlicating? I always try and keep tactics simple, and generally it works. I have the odd where i need to tweak individual player instructions or change formation through injuries or suspension. I always by players to suit my formation, rather than buying players and changing my approach to fit them.

This is honestly the best advice I can give tbh. :thup:

i think it's more important to stick with a tactic that you trust and use it consistently, perhaps with the odd tweak during a poor run or in a massive game. depends what club you are at though. when i was newcastle i was changing my tactics every week, formation and everything, and still managed to win the league.

the one thing i would say is important in a long term game is making sure you keep hold of your defence and keep a steady backline. i very rarely sell defenders and only buy them when i know for sure they are what i want. on the new game i got away with changing two defensive positions at once but i almost never do this unless the players at the club are awful and it's a new job, i'd even rather keep a good quality unhappy defender than buy a replacement who was just as good.

For me, being successful was about patience, and lots of it. I scout players carefully, and only pick up players I think would benefit my team. I'm very fussy with training, tutoring, and moving players into new positions, to best suit the attributes they have. And then the tactics. I spend a fair old amount of time on my tactics, and thats absolutely vital :D

I'm far better at knowing how I should be playing and what I should be doing than actually putting it into practice. I think if I tried I'd be a much better manager, but my attention span is shocking. :o

Getting better though I think. Slowly getting the hang of putting my ideas, strategies, knowledge and philosophy to effect. :D

OP, perhaps your over comlicating? I always try and keep tactics simple, and generally it works. I have the odd game where i need to tweak individual player instructions or change formation through injuries or suspension. I always buy players to suit my formation, rather than buying players and changing my approach to fit them.

This is what you have to do. Buy players to fit you formation and keep it simple. Chopping and changing your formation and tactics will do you side no favours at all.

it sounds like you may be overthinking.

in my few seasons as manager i tend to do this a lot. when I slowed down and just went with it and wasn't control freak like I am:p i do better

hope it helps

buying foreign players who cant speak english can mess up your team till they adapt n crap, and if u arnt careful u could end up with a shevcenko, i personally use a formation called "the nixy" and it works well for me, nixy hasnt failed me since day 1

try not talking to the media and finding a good backroom who will build you a youth team with players who can easily fit into your squad

for me so far 4 players have managed to break into my first team

The information is all there, just disect it, read it and apply it.

Scout reports

Odds

Weather

Assistant ingame feedback

Backroom pre-game feedback

and plain old..... league positions

These all mean something. Read them and you will work out how your team should play against this opposition vs how they usualy play.

LAM

There are no such things as "super tactics". Just Super Managers. :thup:

^^^ this is the truth.

My previous season I won the Premiership, Champions Cup, ESC and WCC while changing tactics and formation every single match to suit: a) my backroom meeting before the game, b) researching the opposition myself before every game.

This season I'm 12 games from the end of the season, I've won the Charity Shield, ESC, WCC, am in the LC final, FAC quarter final, knockout stages of the ECC and am top of the Premiership with a huge points gap to 2nd place, while using the same tactic/4411-with-AM-wingers formation for almost every match (with the exception of player instructions which I tailor to the player).

9feb2019table.jpg

In past seasons I've had similar successes with various combinations of messing with tactics and not messing with tactics, using 1 formation for almost a whole season or changing it regularly...

My conclusion? You can be successful with pretty much any reasonable formation ("reasonable" = "probably not with a 6-4-0 formation or one with no central defenders" - basically any "common sense" formation) and any tactics as long as you are good at managing.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. My point mainly being though, that people have download "super tactics" - yet time and again, they complain in the threads that they're still not winning games. :D

I have used 1 tactic for nearly 40 seasons in my FM08 save. I wouldn't call it a super tactic, but its a basic 4-4-2 with AML / AMR - and like fyl2u - I taylor the Indivisual Instructions to suit the capabilities of my players.

That's the thing. If you get the right tactic you can use it for any team from the best in the world to the worst. I used to be awful coming up with my own tactic's and just used to download them, but this year I've managed to come up with an attacking 5-3-2 that uses a ML/MR and a central midfielder. Now you'd think this would cause my teams to concede a lot of goals yet it doesn't as all 5 defenders stay back from attacking all the time.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. My point mainly being though, that people have download "super tactics" - yet time and again, they complain in the threads that they're still not winning games. :D

I have used 1 tactic for nearly 40 seasons in my FM08 save. I wouldn't call it a super tactic, but its a basic 4-4-2 with AML / AMR - and like fyl2u - I taylor the Indivisual Instructions to suit the capabilities of my players.

I just don't understand why people would want to download someone else's tactics.

Baffling.

Why buy the game if someone else is essentially playing it for you? :D

That's the thing. If you get the right tactic you can use it for any team from the best in the world to the worst. I used to be awful coming up with my own tactic's and just used to download them, but this year I've managed to come up with an attacking 5-3-2 that uses a ML/MR and a central midfielder. Now you'd think this would cause my teams to concede a lot of goals yet it doesn't as all 5 defenders stay back from attacking all the time.

It's only natural to assume that the problem is with your tactics and that downloading a "supertactic" is the answer to your problems, but it really isn't the answer.

Results are influenced by a vast array of ingredients, tactics being a fairly minor one in the grand scheme of things. Plus, the longer you use a specific tactic, the more likely the other team will suss out what your game plan is and be able to adjust their tactics to suit.

It's only natural to assume that the problem is with your tactics and that downloading a "supertactic" is the answer to your problems, but it really isn't the answer.

Results are influenced by a vast array of ingredients, tactics being a fairly minor one in the grand scheme of things. Plus, the longer you use a specific tactic, the more likely the other team will suss out what your game plan is and be able to adjust their tactics to suit.

Exactly and I think that's why I fell out of love with FM09 eventually and stopped playing it. I love the tactic creator in this one and that's what helped me come up with the two versions of the 5-3-2 that I've got as well as a 4-3-1-2.

To be honest, I think reading the good player forum is better than any in game tactic.

Just put everything on default .... if you sign great players, eventually you'll have a great team.

On my Coventry save I got promoted to the prem via play offs in season one. I didnt really make any big name buys but instead relied upon freebies and cheapies. If you check the good player forum you'll find tuns of bargains.

In season two I got 26mil transfer fund and spent 103mil by spreading payments over 48 months (Thats the option that makes the game to easy IMO). I qualified for Euro cup and won it. Won the prem in season 4 and champs league in season 5. I got bored and have started a chelmsford game, blue square south. Won the league in season one and dec of season two Im top of the blue square prem without buying one player. I just checked the forum and signed all the good freebies.

I think this is how most people on the forum get sucess at relatively lowly clubs. Just checkout the forums and use the 48 month thing.

The test of a good FM manager is to take a team from nowhere to euro glory whilst playing without "Real Payers" loaded .... Now thats a toughie :)

Thats what I like about FM, you can make the game easy or difficult by setting your own rules... Example, Dont use the 48 month thing etc.

To be honest, I think reading the good player forum is better than any in game tactic.

Just put everything on default .... if you sign great players, eventually you'll have a great team.

On my Coventry save I got promoted to the prem via play offs in season one. I didnt really make any big name buys but instead relied upon freebies and cheapies. If you check the good player forum you'll find tuns of bargains.

In season two I got 26mil transfer fund and spent 103mil by spreading payments over 48 months (Thats the option that makes the game to easy IMO). I qualified for Euro cup and won it. Won the prem in season 4 and champs league in season 5. I got bored and have started a chelmsford game, blue square south. Won the league in season one and dec of season two Im top of the blue square prem without buying one player. I just checked the forum and signed all the good freebies.

I think this is how most people on the forum get sucess at relatively lowly clubs. Just checkout the forums and use the 48 month thing.

The test of a good FM manager is to take a team from nowhere to euro glory whilst playing without "Real Payers" loaded .... Now thats a toughie :)

Thats what I like about FM, you can make the game easy or difficult by setting your own rules... Example, Dont use the 48 month thing etc.

Haha, that 48-month thing seems "too easy" at first, but you have to be really careful or you'll bankrupt the club after 3 or 4 seasons of buying players like that.

Haha, that 48-month thing seems "too easy" at first, but you have to be really careful or you'll bankrupt the club after 3 or 4 seasons of buying players like that.

Nah you'll be fine as long as you keep winning.

Prize money and gate reciepts take care of it.

Aint had a problem with it yet, and besides, after 2 or 3 seasons, you wont need to spend a penny of any transfer kitty, thats if you buy top class youngsters.

Nah you'll be fine as long as you keep winning.

Prize money and gate reciepts take care of it.

Aint had a problem with it yet, and besides, after 2 or 3 seasons, you wont need to spend a penny of any transfer kitty, thats if you buy top class youngsters.

Yeah, that's the thing.

In my fourth or fifth season in charge of Sunderland, I'd been using that method exclusively for buying players when all of a sudden my Premiership form nosedived. My players were only interested in the ECC for some reason and when we got knocked out of that we went on a losing streak that saw us finish 7th and failing to qualify for Europe... within a year we'd hit £-200,000,000 balance, went into receivership, got docked 9 points (which meant I finished 2nd instead of 1st in the Premiership that year :mad:) and so I've stopped using that method of buying players since then. :D

Yeah, that's the thing.

In my fourth or fifth season in charge of Sunderland, I'd been using that method exclusively for buying players when all of a sudden my Premiership form nosedived. My players were only interested in the ECC for some reason and when we got knocked out of that we went on a losing streak that saw us finish 7th and failing to qualify for Europe... within a year we'd hit £-200,000,000 balance, went into receivership, got docked 9 points (which meant I finished 2nd instead of 1st in the Premiership that year :mad:) and so I've stopped using that method of buying players since then. :D

Just need to buy the right players. Look for consistant performers. A top class team (Of 11 young-ish players) can be bought in one season with a kitty of 25mil (Thats less than I got when promoted with Coventry).

You can buy a team that will get you at least a top 6 finish for 8 seasons at least.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never used the 48 month rule as I do not like have transfer money going out every month. You cannot plan long term this way as you will invariably lose track of how much money is coming out every month. I always use money upfront and when selling players, stick to the money upfront rule as well.

Has served me well in every version so far.

I disagree... My Arsenal formation cmpletely tanked with Villa. Had to change it quite a bit before I started getting results.

I've only ever gradually changed how I play over the years. I can do the same thing at different clubs within a short space of time and get vastly different results. You can have an amazing grasp of tactics and be one of those true masters who can do anything, but for the rest of us either it works out or it doesn't, no how much or (in earlier versions) little you do.

I've only ever gradually changed how I play over the years. I can do the same thing at different clubs within a short space of time and get vastly different results. You can have an amazing grasp of tactics and be one of those true masters who can do anything, but for the rest of us either it works out or it doesn't, no how much or (in earlier versions) little you do.

Nothing beats a bit of trial and error... :)

Guest El Payaso

Because the game is made easier every year. My first FM was FM07 and I had to wait untill last summer to win my first UCL, had tens of good saves in that game but it was challenging. Had great success in in every save after having lots of work done to build up a really good team. In FM07 when I played with Everton, I was in top four for two seasons and in the third season I was finally ready to win the title. In FM10 I was already ready because the game is so much easier. You don't have to think so much who you sign as every player seem to have no problem playing in new country. The lack physical game in Premiership allows soft spaniards use their technique to break down akward defending defence lines. I didn't use foreigners though as I wanted to keep game realistic at least in some way...

Well in six years I build up quite Imperium to Everton and with... well just okay players. Milewskiy won the golden boot three times even though he really is only a good striker. Still he managed to score almost goal per game for my whole era...

Currently I'm in Valencia and year is 2014. Started by winning Dinamo Tbilisi in Europa League's third qualifying round aggregate 14-0. First time I'm really having superstars in my team. The team is maybe the best in the world and it can be seen even too well. 'Cause defending is broken my team really seems unstoppable for most of the teams. Currently after 14 rounds I'm in top of the La Liga and have beaten both Barcelona and Real Madrid. Only one draw, 1-1 against title holders Atlético in away game... They're second 8 points behind me.

Guest El Payaso
its all down to practice and good logic and understanding of football.
Nowadays FM has nothing to do with football.

Hello

How do you be super manager?

Thankyou

Ultimately, understanding how the game works. There isn't much more too it. Understand the logics (or, as some would argue, the illogic's) - of the Match Engine, understand how training actually effects the players. Understand how to read coach reports, so that you get the best players. Understand what tactics actually represent. There are sooooo many variables to take into consideration, before even playing a game in FM, that its crazy. People get frustrated with the game, quite simply because they don't understand it. I'll give you a scenario :

Scenario

You're looking for a new Striker. Someone who can bag you 30 goals a season, without fail. You send your scout out, and he comes back with 2 options. Option 1, a player with great attributes. 20 Finishing, 20 Technique, 20 Composure, 20 Pace, 20 Accel, good strength. You notice these attributes, and are instantly drawn to him. Player 2, on first glance, doesn't look as impressive. 16 Finishing, 14 Composure, 18 Technique, 20 Pace, 15 Accel.

You instantly think, Player 1 is the better player. His value is £25,000,000 - and he wants a contract that is huge. Player 2 is valued at £8,000,000. You end up spending £50,000,000 on Player 1, based on the attributes you saw, rather than the information given in the scout report.

Eventually, you get so frustrated that this superstar player has scored only 6 goals in 30 games, that you come onto the forums, and moan about super keepers, wasted chances, and players not living up to their potential.

Ultimately, what you've not looked at, is why your player isn't performing. What you overlooked in the Scout Reports, could be massive. Things like, was Player 2 two footed? Does Player 1 have better team work and work rate attributes than player 2. And then most important, what does the scout report say, about the impact the player will have, and his consistency levels.

Too many people simply don't understand, that consistency is massive in this game. If Player 1 has poor consistency, it simply means he's not going to play to his C.A very often. Now, as good as he is, I wouldn't buy him, if he only played as well as his attributes represent, every 5-6 games, out of 25. (FWIW : The consistency feature, which is a hidden attribute, is how many games out of 25 that your player will play to his CA).

What you also missed, is that the scout revealed Player 2 is a very consistent player.

In this instant, although not as ascetically pleasing, Player 2 is a far better purchase, because he will be consistently playing to his full ability.

So, by simply not understanding the coach / scout reports, you could write yourself out of a title race, or relegation battle, before you even begin the season. I'm 44 seasons into my save game now, and I'm still learning about it all the time. The more I understand, the better a manager I become, the more success I will have.

As I said. There are no Super Tactics. Just Super Managers. :thup:

I read Cleons thread , the Sheffield United Experience.

There you find out IT IS your tactics and how much you really DO NOT do on a game to game basis.

I got my West Ham side into Europe with the same side I got relegated on a previous save just following simple things like LISTENING to your assistant advice and playing direct football in the rain.

:)

Guest El Payaso
what is it to do with?
To take advantage game's bugs. In FM08 and FM09 it was corner bug. In this newest one it's the broken defending.

Erm....I just get a ton of luck tbh. I won like 4 CL in a row on my Chelsea save last year, and got at least one penalty in each. In my first year with At. Madrid in my current save, I got to the CL final in the first year, with only 2-ish signings. The players were perfectly average. (Got absolutely shut down by Inter 3-2, but they had 10 men from the 30th on, and it was 3-0 until the 75th or something. That's beside the point.)

And then in a network game I had, I managed to move from almost 8th in the league all the way up to third, with like 2 months remaining in the season. My friend got only 6th, despite being a better team. Every team I needed to lost did...

So yes, I haven't seen myself demonstrate any legitimate skill at this game, just....a lot of **** that happens to favor me. :D

My big tip that seems to get glossed over.

Get the opponent instructions right.

I was struggling for one and a half seasons then I made the best signing of all. An assistant manager with good tactical knowledge and now I let him do the OI. Since then I have got myself promoted and have got 7 points out of 9 in the higher division.

As I said learn about OI or hire someone who can do the job for you.

Archived